• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only the trials can be done with guildies. The other two are random always.

Yeah the trials is what I meant by getting a group together.

I've never played a game that breathes so much life back into a game before this. Earlier tonight I saw 61 members online. I personally haven't seen this, even during Saturday nights.

Retro

We've done better!

We have 408 members, all of them active at one point or another in the last few months. They're not all on at the same time; some people work days, others nights. Some are in NA, others are in Australia, Asia, Europe... everywhere. Normal nights are 30-ish, weekends 40-50, right around an update seems to be about 60-70.

SirKhalid

Tips: For the trials, solo T1 and T2 for both before doing T3 and T4, it's such a pain trying to get them when you do T3 and T4 before doing T1 and T2.

Ashodin

We have 408 members, all of them active at one point or another in the last few months. They're not all on at the same time; some people work days, others nights. Some are in NA, others are in Australia, Asia, Europe... everywhere. Normal nights are 30-ish, weekends 40-50, right around an update seems to be about 60-70.

Still need to do the culling. Planning on doing that this weekend.

so it looks like the mail can vanish. I read this thread before hand and made sure to click show me before I zoned but it still went poof.

make sure and grab the support tickets before you zone.

Lunar15

My norn body is ready.

iKGI4zLZQOSgb.bmp

Anno

Thanks for everyone who slogged through T4 on both sides. Crazy stuff, maybe just a *little* too far over the challenge line. A good time all the same, though.

Still need to do the culling. Planning on doing that this weekend.

My friend who finally got me to try to do an MMO could be culled this time. He got me into the game. Then I let my better half try it, which led to me building her the better pc for her. :) We have almost 1K hours between us now.

Wow I love the trials. Still haven't beat it, we got close with a group of GAFers. 2 called it a night so did we. But experimenting strategies without reading a guide is so much fun to me.

Edit: Anno you helped Roxie so much thus far, I'm looking for you tomorrow to help us finish T4 :p

Katoki

Aspect Arena is filled with a lot of vocal people man. I've played enough games to almost get me a second loot bag from the infinite repeat part of the achievements.

kanamechan

how hard is it to solo the first and secondparts of the trials (as a grenadier)? Or would it be better to bug guildies for them? :eek:

Can't play at work, so I wonder!

Aquila

I almost think that we should get a gold for surviving tier 4. I've completed it three times now in all GAF groups and it really is absurd. Each time we beat it, we hung back near the trees next to the aetherblade spawn points (the lightning on the ground) and used pull skills to bring back the plunderers. If the plunderers escaped into the other mob spawns, we'd let them go and kill them on the way back.

Just avoid aggroing the other mobs as best you can and if a striker decides to party, focus fire him in between plunderer kills. If too many mobs aggro, try to reset back towards the repair npc. Neither the gold medal completion nor drops seem that worth it yet, so just survive.

Hit 6000 achievement points last night so I got my glowy shoulders for my warrior. She's now wearing a mix of the achievement reward stuff (gloves, shoulders) and the Order of Whispers stuff (with no helmet shown because MUSHROOM) and looks pretty awesome. I really want ordinary helmet versions of the breather mask models because they are pretty cool.

I really like the Whispers sword and rifle. The sword folds when not in use!

I was actually in EB last night with the now internet famous KidInkk and he's not nearly as... loud now. His voice being distinctive from the other commander we had meant it was easy to co-ordinate 2 groups (when Jade Sea and Elona Reach decided to double-team us) on one channel.

I was part of a pretty epic battle following the other commander at Speldan where Jade Sea outnumbered the 20ish of us about 3:1 and we wiped them. So much awesome. So much loot. Did I mention that I love this game?

Oh, and: VOTE KIEL.

Sophia

Pickup groups are soooo awful at the Candidate trials. I've had like five groups so far where the concept of focus fire is lost and we die because there's a bunch of Grenadiers or Strikers sitting at 1/3 to 1/2 HP overwhelming us. Ugh. -.-;

Cels

it's easy if you stand in the back where the 3 plunderer portals are. kill plunderers as they spawn or as they run back. soloed levels 1-4 for both kiel and evon with no problems this way

i haven't tried it in a full group but i heard the scaling is pretty tough

Katoki

So that's what we were doing wrong. We weren't avoiding the majority of the zone completely for the trial (not that I think they intended it to work that way). We were that close to trying it in our three-man run but were getting tired of being in there. It's only the first day though so no big deal.

Aspect Arena is also annoying as ________, both for the person who needs to get the achievement caps and for those who need to kill the people doing the achievement caps for the kill achievement.

Retro

I almost think that we should get a gold for surviving tier 4. I've completed it three times now in all GAF groups and it really is absurd. Each time we beat it, we hung back near the trees next to the aetherblade spawn points (the lightning on the ground) and used pull skills to bring back the plunderers. If the plunderers escaped into the other mob spawns, we'd let them go and kill them on the way back.

Just avoid aggroing the other mobs as best you can and if a striker decides to party, focus fire him in between plunderer kills. If too many mobs aggro, try to reset back towards the repair npc. Neither the gold medal completion nor drops seem that worth it yet, so just survive.

That was the strategy we developed too, though we focused more on knockbacks and so, by proximity, ended up with a lot of the vets on us anyways. Gonna have to try the pull option, though that leaves my Warrior somewhat useless.. I mean beyond DPS, condi removal and such...

Pickup groups are soooo awful at the Candidate trials. I've had like five groups so far where the concept of focus fire is lost and we die because there's a bunch of Grenadiers or Strikers sitting at 1/3 to 1/2 HP overwhelming us. Ugh. -.-;

Stop PUGing, start GAFing.

Cels

Aspect Arena is also annoying as ________, both for the person who needs to get the achievement caps and for those who need to kill the people doing the achievement caps for the kill achievement.

Getting caps is easy, use air aspect 3 skill. You can't be stopped and move at normal speed instead of the reduced speed that you get when you are carrying crystals. Cooldown is really low too.

Killing crystal carriers is much more annoying. If they have any help at all it is hard enough but if they are using air aspect too say goodbye, it is as good as a score. Try to get people carrying from far position instead of the middle. Also I don't think you get credit if you are fighting a crystal holder and they jump to their death, even if you dealt damage to them. On skyhammer when someone kills themselves like this after you've dealt damage you still get kill credit so it's probably a bug or oversight.

I haven't tried southsun survival yet, but I have heard its achievements are the grindiest.

LkPr

Getting caps is easy, use air aspect 3 skill. You can't be stopped and move at normal speed instead of the reduced speed that you get when you are carrying crystals. Cooldown is really low too.

Killing crystal carriers is much more annoying. If they have any help at all it is hard enough but if they are using air aspect too say goodbye, it is as good as a score. Try to get people carrying from far position instead of the middle.

I haven't tried southsun survival yet, but I have heard its achievements are the grindiest.

I would say this is the most 'Grindy' of the Survival achievements:

Southsun Survival: High Scorer (5 pts)
Earn 2500 points while playing Southsun Survival.
Scavenging: 1 pt /scavenge (this includes revenge motes too)
Arrow hits: 1pt/hit
Player kills: 5 pts/kill
Sucessful traps: 2 pts/trap
Final Survivor: 50 pts

I have been averaging 50pts or less per game (I haven't won yet) so at that rate I'm looking at about 50 games ... however the upside is that you get the bonus loot bag every 6 games which has a guaranteed rare vs 12 rounds required of the aspect arena.

LkPr

Also, does anyone know if the guaranteed rares in the Loot Bags you get from these mini games scale with character level? I have been playing with my lvl 53 alt and so far have been getting lvl 50ish rares... I'm wondering if I start playing with my main I will get lvl 80ish rares and be able to actually salvage them for ectos...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ace update from my experience yesterday. It's light on content but also not artificially bloated with running-around achievements or unnecessary padding. It's cool seeing people running around with their icons on and I continue to enjoy the repurposing of existing content to provide extra reward if completed under certain conditions (in this case, achievement points for doing a handful of things you'd do anyway while supporting your candidate). I really hope that there's some kind of additional campaigning by Gnashblade and Kiel before the next update.

The Candidate Trials are great. Just a really fun little instance and a great challenge. The combat shines in scenarios like that IMO. Our group beat t4 on the first try with a very close call, Jest was the last one alive with 30 seconds left and was able to lock down the plunderer enough for a win. I can't imagine that focusing effort on where the plunderers spawn and run back to was unintended, as our strategy just naturally shifted in that direction. Definitely looking forward to trying to solo a few rounds as well as getting better at the T4. I did note I was playing it primarily for the challenge and achievements, as the rewards seem to be rather haphazard- there seems to be no completion reward at all, which is peculiar.

Went through a few rounds of Southsun Survivor. Didn't win, but got closer each time. It's really great. The feeling of encountering someone who is also clearly out of supplies and scrambling to a pick up with no idea of who will get a kill off first is exhilarating. Learning the skills initially is a little stressful, and you can find your life ended in an instant. Though it's pretty satisfying to get a kill by summoning a karka from beyond the grave. Also, like Sanctum Sprint before it you seem to make pretty decent silver just for completion.

Haven't tried Aspect Arena, but Katoki hates so I will probably wind up enjoying it quite a bit.
Also, does anyone know if the guaranteed rares in the Loot Bags you get from these mini games scale with character level? I have been playing with my lvl 53 alt and so far have been getting lvl 50ish rares... I'm wondering if I start playing with my main I will get lvl 80ish rares and be able to actually salvage them for ectos...
I'm sure that's the case. I haven't done 6 rounds yet but all the rewards tend to scale like that.
How long does a typical game last?
That's the thing, there's really no telling. It's all up to the survivors.
-----
edit:

Apparently, the new COF1 speed record uses the tried-and-true classic party setup of a Mesmer, a Warrior, two Thieves and a Ranger. Hmmmm.

LkPr

How long does a typical game last?

max game time is 15 minutes.... however I have yet to be in a game for more then 10 minutes so far.

People's strategy seems to be changing though. Already I'm seeing more people hoarding the rations at the beginning of the match and then just hiding hoping that everyone else will die off.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
max game time is 15 minutes.... however I have yet to be in a game for more then 10 minutes so far.
Whoa, I had no idea there was a time limit or that it could last that long. Some matches have been way faster than that.
However people's strategy seems to be changing. Already I'm seeing more people hoarding the rations at the beginning of the match and then just hiding hoping that everyone else will die off.
Seems like being really aggressive in the beginning and then hoarding and hiding is popular route.

People's strategy seems to be changing though. Already I'm seeing more people hoarding the rations at the beginning of the match and then just hiding hoping that everyone else will die off.

I play it very much Katniss style. The quickest way to die is to go after kills aggressively.

It's the best strategy due to the non player spawned karka and that the more you scavenge, the more ammo you give to the wisps. My two wins were all about outlasting rather than out fighting.

LkPr

And you don't need to 'win' the event to get the Desert Rose skin... I got mine last night in one of the matches and I don't even think I made the leader board lol

Complistic

They don't appear to be that rare. Or at least, three people in one of my matches last night each said they had 2 or 3 of them already.

nataku

Got a flat tire on my car last night. The place where I get my oil changed also checks other things and inflates the tires to the pressure they're supposed to be at. Apparently while they did this they ended up breaking the valve stem on one of my tires.

The tire was nearly flat when I got off work. I went to put air in it and any pressure on the valve stem makes it sound like someone letting the air out of a balloon.

I probably won't be able to play the patch today. Gotta try to convince them that it was indeed their fault so they fix it for free. I'm assuming it was, anyway, since the tire pressure warning came on while driving home from getting the oil change.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And you don't need to 'win' the event to get the Desert Rose skin... I got mine last night in one of the matches and I don't even think I made the leader board lol
Is it in the chest? None for me yet.

Godspeed on your car Nataku.

Oh, I also got the Home Quartz Node (16 achievements for bazaar) last night. Besides the sky crystal hunting one (where I checked it to see how many I had) and rolling over the kites to see what JPs they were in, I literally didn't pay any attention to the achievements at all this time and still got the reward with weeks to spare. I actually don't even know what the last achievement I got was. It was in the middle of a Sanctum Sprint game but I have a few from there apparently.

Trey

I'm kind of glad I'll never get into serious PvP in an MMO-like game. Must be stressful to have your playstyle's efficacy determined by flavor of the month patch changes.

Trey

Except, that happens in every online multipayer game.

To some degree. I stick to playing shooters and fighters, where there is more player agency. RNG and builds inherently take some of that away.

I was musing because I was reading over the GW2 pvp forums where every profession's playerbase believes they aren't powerful enough -- and they are coming out the side of their mouths toward Arenanet to balance this or that because reasons.

I know the official forums are stuffed with foolishness, but it's still a hilarious read where people state things confidently with not one iota of corresponding date or even simple explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom