• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
... stop confusing me..

And yes I meant I see its use for jumping.. though i guess there are limited number of skills to use at a time.. so you have buttons enough.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Out of combat? Whatchu talkin bout DreadLord

No native support sadly. But the setup for our solution is simple: File -> Download and follow teh instructions (stuff only has to be done once). Not yet compatible with win8 unfortunately :(

It's borderline useless unless you're in combat though (or jumping around). I wonder what you meant by that, lol

Clever way of using an AHK script in conjunction with xpadder. Why wouldn't this be Win 8 compatible though? Both of those programs work fine in that environment on their own.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
... stop confusing me..

And yes I meant I see its use for jumping.. though i guess there are limited number of skills to use at a time.. so you have buttons enough.

I'm convinced a person with a controller actually has an advantage in combat because rather than spread across a mouse/keyboard, everything is compact in your palms.

...I'm just going to take this moment to brag how I mopped up this morning for my PvP daily. Moppity mop mop mop.

pyros

Do we need to send in-game mail for gaf guild membership or use GafGuild forums, also, how do I use the tome of influence? I want to pass it onto the Gaf guild, even if there is no room for new members, thanks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
... stop confusing me..

In addition, there are a number of things about the GW2 design that make it really well suited for a gamepad:

-Weapon skills are determined simply by weapon/class, and order is nonconfigurable, so the same keypress always equals the same action; furthermore, 1-3 are always determined by the mainhand and 4-5 the offhand (these are broken up in our profile)
-"Heal" and "Elite Skill" are always the same keypress, regardless of class, weapon, etc
-All classes use a universal dodge mechanic that functions identically. This is on RT, Bayonetta style yo
-While the unique class mechanics are incredibly varied, they are wisely all mapped to some combination of F1-F4, which translates well to the D-Pad, whether it's just hitting Up once, then again to enter/exit Death Shroud, or bouncing all over the place to switch elemental attunements
-Though invisible, the game has legitimate "aiming" mechanics built in- as though there's a crosshair centered a bit above your character.
-Clicking (either on skills or to target) is rarely the most efficient method of doing anything with KB+M, so in-combat mouse movement isn't a concern

It really works well.
Clever way of using an AHK script in conjunction with xpadder. Why wouldn't this be Win 8 compatible though? Both of those programs work fine in that environment on their own.
I have no test bed running Windows 8 to do some troubleshooting on. But so far as I can tell, whereas both applications work completely fine (including, thankfully, the legacy, free version of Xpadder), the specific command call that positions the cursor in AHK (which is crucial to the real magic of the setup) doesn't function in Win8. I think it is a result of 8 using more aggressive user-right limitations on what third-party applications can call input devices. There may well be a functional equivalent that has the exact same effect and is kosher with Win8's control, but it's a little beyond me (and neither I nor Weltall, the man behind the modern AHK script) have Windows 8 machines to test.
Do we need to send in-game mail for gaf guild membership or use GafGuild forums, also, how do I use the tome of influence? I want to pass it onto the Gaf guild, even if there is no room for new members, thanks.
Fastest way is to just post your character or Account name here. Then any officer who gets on can add you. If you don't want to do that, you can on the gafguild forums, or in-game mail to one of the listed officers

Once you get in, go to the guild screen and click represent, then you can use the tome :)

Just post accountname.#### and someone will add you.

Just click on TOME once you are in the guild and representing the influence will go to da guild.

Probably beaten because I'm on a phone.

In addition, there are a number of things about the GW2 design that make it really well suited for a gamepad:

-Weapon skills are determined simply by weapon/class, and order is nonconfigurable, so the same keypress always equals the same action; furthermore, 1-3 are always determined by the mainhand and 4-5 the offhand (these are broken up in our profile)
-"Heal" and "Elite Skill" are always the same keypress, regardless of class, weapon, etc
-All classes use a universal dodge mechanic that functions identically. This is on RT, Bayonetta style yo
-While the unique class mechanics are incredibly varied, they are wisely all mapped to some combination of F1-F4, which translates well to the D-Pad, whether it's just hitting Up once, then again to enter/exit Death Shroud, or bouncing all over the place to switch elemental attunements
-Though invisible, the game has legitimate "aiming" mechanics built in- as though there's a crosshair centered a bit above your character.
-Clicking (either on skills or to target) is rarely the most efficient method of doing anything with KB+M, so in-combat mouse movement isn't a concern

It really works well.
Ok, I'll give it a try later on.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just post accountname.#### and someone will add you.

Just click on time once you are in the guild and representing the influence will go to da guild.

Probably beaten because I'm on a phone.
Only cause I edited :p

edit: Hmmm time to finally make my official "for reals, play with a controller!" post I think

pyros

Congrats Seda! You have more legendaries than I have fully-geared characters.

Ya'll should play with a controller ;) Jumping is heaven.

Pyros, what time zone/hours are you playing? The Sylvari starting area (Caledon Forest) is beautiful, and filled with secrets and cool events, but Sylvari are both a less popular race and it happens to be one of the tougher starting zones (I stubbornly leveled mostly solo there with my baby Mesmer, but it was lots of dying and playing naked. Forced me to get good early on, but it can be frustrating too!).

I have a variety of good news for you, though:

1. Have you joined the GAF Guild? Post your account or character name! Lots of us have many alts, and if you just ask in guild chat if anyone wants to come level in Caledon you'll probably get a couple bites.

2. Just because you're a Sylvari doesn't limit you to your own starting zone in any way. Find the portal to Lion's Arch in the Grove, or use the PvP menu to go to the Mists and then take the Lion's Arch portal. Then look for the Gate Hub, and take a portal to any other race's starting zone. On our server, Queensdale and Plains of Ashford (human and charr respectively) tend to have stable populations running around.

3. If you do stick around doing tough events solo, you'll get good with your class because you need to rely on the "true GW2 mechanics" (dodging, positioning, weapon swapping) to succeed. If you play with a bunch of other people early on, strength in numbers can allow you to tackle the game like it was any other MMO and be relatively successful up until a certain point where you'll hit a wall. I've seen it in a variety of players when they first get into dungeons.

Welcome!

Thanks Hawkian for your advice, i'm in Asia, Singapore (SGT=GMT + 8.00)
I decided to tough it out and solo the quest around me, like you said it helps me learn the mechanics faster.

my GW2 id is Pyros.6528, I already registered in GafGuild and posted there
thanks everyone for your help

I'm convinced a person with a controller actually has an advantage in combat because rather than spread across a mouse/keyboard, everything is compact in your palms.

...I'm just going to take this moment to brag how I mopped up this morning for my PvP daily. Moppity mop mop mop.

I did the PvP Daily this morning as well and I love that it only takes 3 games and you get the daily. Reached Rank 7 as well without even trying.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I have no test bed running Windows 8 to do some troubleshooting on. But so far as I can tell, whereas both applications work completely fine (including, thankfully, the legacy, free version of Xpadder), the specific command call that positions the cursor in AHK (which is crucial to the real magic of the setup) doesn't function in Win8. I think it is a result of 8 using more aggressive user-right limitations on what third-party applications can call input devices. There may well be a functional equivalent that has the exact same effect and is kosher with Win8's control, but it's a little beyond me (and neither I nor Weltall, the man behind the modern AHK script) have Windows 8 machines to test.

I write AHK apps for work purposes from time to time, and have Windows 8. I'll have a look if I get the time. :)

Thanks Hawkian for your advice, i'm in Asia, Singapore (SGT=GMT + 8.00)
I decided to tough it out and solo the quest around me, like you said it helps me learn the mechanics faster.

my GW2 id is Pyros.6528, I already registered in GafGuild and posted there
thanks everyone for your help

Welcome to the guild. Make sure to open the Guild Menu and Represent GAFGuild.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I made a Ranger last night, excited after finding out their damage from one handed sword can now rival a zerk Warrior's output.

Christ..Rangers can't dodge during sword animations. So they're basically sitting ducks half the time. No wonder they all shoot bows.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Going away for a day, for I made sure to top up my dailies and get a few games of Aspect Arena in.

Aspect Arena is like a relaxed, laid back fun easy mode. Lots of money and karma and the odd decent of gear for doing very little in a short space of time.

Arcteryx

I made a Ranger last night, excited after finding out their damage from one handed sword can now rival a zerk Warrior's output.

Christ..Rangers can't dodge during sword animations. So they're basically sitting ducks half the time. No wonder they all shoot bows.

Turn off auto on the sword; it isn't all that bad with it off(ANet said they were going to address it at some point though).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I write AHK apps for work purposes from time to time, and have Windows 8. I'll have a look if I get the time. :)
Wow thanks! I love AHK but my understanding of it is pretty rudimentary in terms of advanced input. Weltall took my original script way further than I could have.
I did the PvP Daily this morning as well and I love that it only takes 3 games and you get the daily. Reached Rank 7 as well without even trying.
An PvP dailies/monthlies get you your laurels too. One of the sweetest changes made to the game imo.

I've heard that sword is a very effective set on Rangers but that the 1 chain is never meant to be spammed- i.e., you shouldn't even have it on autoattack. Haven't ever even tried it myself.
Going away for a day, for I made sure to top up my dailies and get a few games of Aspect Arena in.

Aspect Arena is like a relaxed, laid back fun easy mode. Lots of money and karma and the odd decent of gear for doing very little in a short space of time.
:eek: Can't wait to try it!

LkPr

Had to restart xpadder it seems.. now its working.. and this will take some getting used to lol..

Play with it for a few days and you'll never want to go back to KB+M. I've been using the controller almost since Hawkian and Weltao had it running and I'll never go back. It has made this game SO much more enjoyable especially since i had never really played pc games... mainly a console gamer

jersoc

pugged a fact 2 last night pretty easily. the biggest challenge was anet still not fixing where people can't zone in. i know some people don't like pugging, but my few attempts have been pretty good. gw2lfg filled the group in about a minute too.

almost got 6 kiel achievements now.

LkPr

does anyone run Arah often? I'm slowly getting my Guardian to lvl 80 and once I do I would like to do some runs there for the gear. I have never done Arah before but it doesn't seem very popular

Out of combat? Whatchu talkin bout DreadLord

No native support sadly. But the setup for our solution is simple: File -> Download and follow teh instructions (stuff only has to be done once). Not yet compatible with win8 unfortunately :(

It's borderline useless unless you're in combat though (or jumping around). I wonder what you meant by that, lol

No windows 8!!

:(

I really want to try this.

Man I think this is the first time there hasn't been four monthlies that mesh with my natural playing time. Normally I can knock them out within the first week or so of the month. I need one more and I guess it's between grinding the hell out of dungeons or champions. Obviously CoF would be the way to go for the former, but if there's a awesome area for champions that would be more fun. I don't think there's anywhere in the game where this can be done if I'm only in tier 3 for it though, right? I know the bazaar has multiple that spawn, but how often? It would probably still take hours to do. It's looking like I'll have to find a group that wants to spam CoF....

Trey

Man I think this is the first time there hasn't been four monthlies that mesh with my natural playing time. Normally I can knock them out within the first week or so of the month. I need one more and I guess it's between grinding the hell out of dungeons or champions. Obviously CoF would be the way to go for the former, but if there's a awesome area for champions that would be more fun. I don't think there's anywhere in the game where this can be done if I'm only in tier 3 for it though, right? I know the bazaar has multiple that spawn, but how often? It would probably still take hours to do. It's looking like I'll have to find a group that wants to spam CoF....

You say that like it will be difficult.

LkPr

go to Queensdale, ask in map chat where the train is lol. There are 4 to 6 champions that will spawn right after another so people run this constantly.. not sure how much "fun" it will be after numerous runs but it works.

running Queensdale I think the "run" takes maybe 10ish mins for 4-6 champs...

Levyne

Banned
Thw worst rangers are those that hang back past buff range with a crappy bear. And sadly, its common.

I hope more rangers run Brazils sword+warhorn build, its incredible.

Yes, its a very nice build. I think I have ~5 trait points in another place but it's basically what I run.

Well, I also pair sword+axe, but the warhorn is so useful that I have it on swap, That leaves me with axe mainhand to pair with it, which I don't love, but it's just as good a ranged option as a shortbow now and does enough damage.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Didnt do that as far as i could tell
If nobody else lets you know by tonight I will try it when I got home.
It's a really crucial aspect of the setup. Maybe Tunesmith will have an idea. :(
Also I take it for dialogs I still need to use mouse?
If it's a dialog that requires a selection, then yes, you hold Back to get mouse control, and click with RB.

If it's just a popup with nothing you need to choose, just press Start (ESC).

kaioshade

I hope i havent been booted from the guild yet. Need to get a new system. GF's machine died and i gave her mine.

I will be back soon, and i will sell that bloody staff dammit.

Luigi87

Finally switched my Condition build Necro to a full on Zerker Powermancer build.
I have fallen in love with playing him again.

Retro

I hope i havent been booted from the guild yet. Need to get a new system. GF's machine died and i gave her mine.

I will be back soon, and i will sell that bloody staff dammit.

If you have been booted, we'll invite you right back straight away. It's just house-cleaning, that's all; nothing personal.

Ashodin

If you have been booted, we'll invite you right back straight away. It's just house-cleaning, that's all; nothing personal.

I doubt he was culled, but yeah it's no big deal either way. You don't lose "guild points" or anything hah

Both correct. Culling isn't scheduled to happen until this weekend. And even then, it's only people who haven't played after April 1st 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom