• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

"I would say that guild features in general are all really important to us. But people who can work on those features are the same people who are involved in a couple other very specific projects and so we only have a few of 'em who really can work on the player and guild account databases. We're waiting for them to finish other stuff before we can do a lot of guild-related projects. So we do have a few things in the pipeline already for guilds that are coming. As I've outlined in my blog post last week, I think that there's a lot of the high level stuff that we need to finish to get the core of the game where we really want it to be. When that's done, I think we'll turn our eye to sort of the next round of features and a lot of those certainly are guild related things among, you know, other types of content and expanding out experiences for players and looking beyond the regions we have."

Also:

Can’t really spoil anything but August has no jumping puzzle and we definitely wanted to steer away from instanced mini-games.

Variety is good for the game, especially a balanced variety. If we make too much of any one type of content, eventually that type of content will become tiresome. The purpose of my reply wasn’t to naysay jumping puzzles or activities, but just to let you know that something different is coming. Personally, I’m a huge fan of epic open-world dynamic events and since I’ve had a hand or two in the upcoming releases, you should get ready.

As the late Captain Mai once said, watch the skies.

I think that they're going to rotate things, sometimes do a JP, sometimes a dungeon, sometimes minigames, sometimes something new entirely. As Anthony said it makes it so stuff doesn't become predictable and rote.

Nooooo I knew achievements would ruin the polling. Either that or there are too many people that never played GW1 and don't know or care what Abaddon is...booooo! I need to dump my stack of tickets into support tokens already.

Thank god they are moving away from mini games for a while. Let's get some real content! I will say that I love JPs to pieces and would never get tired of those additions haha

Levyne

Banned
Now that people have finished/are finishing the specific achievements, you'll surely see people start to dump their 100+ excess tokens. Will be interesting to see if things stay close.

Katoki

Haven't touched the Southsun Survival stuff yet; been too involved in WvW lately it seems. I still need to go back in and finish the Aspect Arena related things.

The third comment on the Facebook page made me close it. That one comment kind of shows how blown up people's expectations are for it but fractals are usually condensed bits of major events and what not, no?

Cels

Interview with Colin:
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/colin-johanson-talks-dungeons-dragons-and-chairs

On chairs:
You know, I honestly have no idea. One of the great challenges that we faced with chairs, and this is kind of ironic, is that because we put in five different races of differing heights into the game, we found we had to make every chair uniform and have everyone always sit on them the exact same way or build an entire system that recognizes the height of the chair and appropriately animates your character.

Chairs are poorly done. He mentions it's not something they're working on. In the grand scheme of things chairs he is definitely right, chairs are probably the very last thing most of the playerbase cares about, but I would probably care a great deal if I were into RP. I question why Arenanet decided to even put chairs in the game if they weren't going to do it right, and especially if they aren't going to go back and fix it. Go sit in a chair if you've never done it before.

On Zhaitan fight:
It really got finished right before the end and basically got put out of the door in time for us to ship.

That explains a lot. The pinnacle of your personal story, you finally get to fight an Elder Dragon! And, it's rushed in time for release. At least it's "something on their list" so we might see improvements in the future.

Responding to inquiry about charr armor
We're focused on stuff that is less race specific because it has a broader appeal and gets us more coverage for the work time we put in. Of all the things we build, armors and giant bosses take up the most time. Anything we make that is one race specific, we are putting in a lot of work that we could be expanding out to all the races. I'm not going to say that we're never going to do more race-specific armors, but those are definitely going to be less common than the normal, one-size-fits-all armors.

This response strikes me as disingenuous. Humans and norn are the races that most benefit from a one-size-fits-all approach. Charr suffer the most because they have horns and tails and their bodies are a lot wider in places human bodies aren't. Asura ears also create similar issues. Perhaps it's a difference in philosophy - I feel like charr getting armor that doesn't clash with their horns and tails should be the standard. It's not a matter of "race-specific" armor, it's a matter of taking the due care to make sure the armor looks good on every race. No one is asking for charr-specific armor. It's not as if Charr players are asking for special treatment for their armor. If you are going to create a race with a body type and physical features like horns and and tails the other races don't have, you can't simply plop an armor that works well on another race onto that race. You can't expect those players to be happy about it.

A lot of charr armor simply looks stretched out and has issues with horns/tails. It's sad to hear that it's unlikely anything will happen on this front.

I hope Evon prevails, that Abaddon fractal would be awesome. Also, Evon would be ten times more interesting on the counsel. Kiel is too white a character, she wouldn't bring anything interesting to the table. Evon is more gray, he's a savvy businessman that might make some unsavory deals. More interesting living story and more interesting fractal. Make the right choice!

hythloday

I had a little mini epiphany earlier (miniphany?) that maybe I actually don't want the Abaddon fractal after all. Originally that sounded much more cool, because gods and lore and history, right?

Then I realized, I don't really know what happened at the reactor. It's more of an unknown. It might actually be really big and cool. And if Ellen doesn't win, we may never know.

Also, I think players may end up disappointed at what the Abaddon thing actually is. People have thrown ideas out there that maybe you'll actually fight him, when it could be entirely different and just focus on a bunch of pirates sailing in the Crystal Sea around that time (that's an example from Wooden Potatoes). It would work, being as Lion's Arch is a pirate, seafaring city and all. If we're so geeked about it, would the eventual implementation live up to our ideal? Or are some things so cool they should remain shrouded in an aura of mystery?

I think too much after eating Taco Bell I suppose.

Jira

New build:

BALANCE AND BUG-FIXING

Living World
Cutthroat Politics

Updated the Candidate Trials so that the first mate of each candidate will only offer conversation options for the tiers unlocked by the player.
Fixed a bug in the Candidate Trials which prevented some of the Aetherblade waves from spawning.

World

Cursed Shore
While attacking the Champion Risen Giant at the Promenade of the Gods, most of the risen defenders will stop spawning once the “Risen Presence” objective is completed.

Profession Skills
Necromancer:

Dhuumfire: In competitive PvP only, burning duration caused by this trait has been reduced from 4 seconds to 2 seconds. Burning duration is still 4 seconds in other areas of the game.

Ranger:

Sun, Stone, and Storm Spirit: Fixed a bug that caused downed players to be able to use the spirit effects without gaining the internal cooldown.

I suspect that the "abaddon fractal" will involve the fall of the Margonites (eg. the battle inside the temple of the six gods that they defaced) possibly fighting alongside the forgotten to defeat Lord Jadoth. That'd be pretty sweet.

Ken

The PvP meta is centralized around them currently.

At least to my knowledge. I know they got hit with something of a nerf this passed Tuesday.

Yes, they're a lot better than they were before. They were actually overpowered in pvp before the last patch, but they've fixed that.

Although if you weren't having fun with the class before, it's more likely they're just not for you. I'd try another class. But if you weren't enjoying them because they felt weak then you'll likely enjoy them now.

I only do PvE.

I remember necro pets being weak before I stopped playing the game so I was wondering if they were any better now. I think the last thing I did was a DoT build which was kind of boring, but that might be more of orr karma train's fault.

_woLf

Absolutely fucking shocking that Kiel is winning. I knew it was a rigged vote when the lead of the team in charge of making the fractals pretty much said "We already know Abbadon's story and I'd rather Thurmanova win."

Fucking stupid. If Kiel wins then we're in for another year of boring NPCs that take credit for everything the player does.

Retro

The third comment on the Facebook page made me close it. That one comment kind of shows how blown up people's expectations are for it but fractals are usually condensed bits of major events and what not, no?

I do not have Facebook, what was it?

Mxrz

I still need to do the Kiel achievements, but now I don't want to. This game needs more ties to the original. Argh.

Jira

Absolutely fucking shocking that Kiel is winning. I knew it was a rigged vote when the lead of the team in charge of making the fractals pretty much said "We already know Abbadon's story and I'd rather Thurmanova win."

Fucking stupid. If Kiel wins then we're in for another year of boring NPCs that take credit for everything the player does.

The guy who actually plans out the direction the game is going (Colin) is voting for Evon so it's not rigged. Colin is the head of the game's design while Mike Z is below him and has Colin's old job.

Complistic

I only do PvE.

I remember necro pets being weak before I stopped playing the game so I was wondering if they were any better now. I think the last thing I did was a DoT build which was kind of boring, but that might be more of orr karma train's fault.

I mostly pve as well. Pets were buffed. Along with the other necro skill lines, "wells", "spectral", and "corruption". Each one is viable. I must recommend corruption. Pets are boring imo.

Katoki

I do not have Facebook, what was it?

Uuugh, people are just thinking about waypoints vs blacklion keys ... more important is that the fall of abbadon (5 gods killing one, making an entire sea dry up, a big naval battle going on as well) would be a much cooler fractal that the reactor one ...

Don't need to have an account to see it, but look at these expectations. I've been seeing expectations similar to this in many places but it's a fractal, not a full-blown dungeon they're putting in for us.

Sorry you feel so strongly about this. I feel that Kiel isn't as bad as Trahearne so I haven't really thought about it. Different people're after different things... it's life.

In that light, how many people are moving to Canada quitting the game(?) if Kiel wins? Remember the last U.S. election?

xeris

I hope Evon prevails, that Abaddon fractal would be awesome. Also, Evon would be ten times more interesting on the counsel. Kiel is too white a character, she wouldn't bring anything interesting to the table. Evon is more gray, he's a savvy businessman that might make some unsavory deals. More interesting living story and more interesting fractal. Make the right choice!

Weirdly enough that's sorta why I'm voting for Kiel. Evon'll be too easy and obvious to write for. Kiel has the potential for more a more interesting story overall, especially if Evon works against her. Besides, she's not totally goody-goody. She did
make sure the contracts were blown up at the end of Southsun

yea im going to vote for kiel

"Well, I can say that the reactor was the first prototype of the Inquest attempt to build something. Somewhat similar to what players find in the Crucible of Eternity later in the game. And the location where the Thaumanova Reactor was at one point in time exploded and destroyed what was once a research lab and turned, I would say, turned the world inside out where it occurred. I can't give away too much more than that. I would say that if people want to know more, they should vote for Ellen and find out. Either way, it's definitely something that ties more deeply into the lore of Guild Wars 2 than most would realize - "

Definitely dragon based lab. Wonder if they would explain how it was so close to rata sum without any repercussions

hythloday

The Ellen story hit me right in the feels. I'm changing sides now. I liked her character better anyway and was only voting for the fractal.

Lunar15

The election is dumb. Very slapdash. They just found two characters we kind of knew about and threw them against each other.

It's really not a compelling vote either way, and what we know about the fractals is too vague to make a good call. I don't like blocking one fractal out for the sake of drama. If one fractal is "really important to the lore" don't make it so that we never see it. Make lore compelling, not optional.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
After 2 million tokens.
Ellen leading 52 to 48 for Evon.
https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/posts/10151635322969209:0
Damn what

Megaton

edit:

Oh my god, we've already got accusations of a rigged election, people switching sides, desperation voter drives...
The election is dumb. Very slapdash. They just found two characters we kind of knew about and threw them against each other.

It's really not a compelling vote either way, and what we know about the fractals is too vague to make a good call. I don't like blocking one fractal out for the sake of drama. If one fractal is "really important to the lore" don't make it so that we never see it. Make lore compelling, not optional.
ahahah this is election season saltiness all over

damn, they really got it right :p

Lunar15

See? This is stupid. Reason people are voting for either side are the rewards they bring, not the characters themselves. So why go this route in the first place? No one would give two shits about Evon if he didn't have the better sounding fractal, although for all we know thumanova could be superior.

Ashodin

See? This is stupid. Reason people are voting for either side are the rewards they bring, not the characters themselves. So why go this route in the first place? No one would give two shits about Evon if he didn't have the better sounding fractal, although for all we know thumanova could be superior.

Nope, generally like the guy better. Unknowns are the best type of character.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dude. You're from America, right?

Lunar15

Nope, generally like the guy better. Unknowns are the best type of character.

I dunno, it's weak plotting. Worst of all, it doesn't sound like the next update has anything to do with glint or the zephyrites in the least bit.

I'm really feeling like they didn't actually plan anything out.

Dude. You're from America, right?

I'm not here for American politics. I'm here for a damn fantasy story.

Sophia

But... I like Evon for his personality. :(

Lunar15

But... I like Evon for his personality. :(

Me too, but it's vague. Only those that seek it out would be interested at all. Kiel's been forefront, and she's clearly been presented as the "right choice" even though that's kind of silly.

It just feels weird, is all I'm sayin. They needed a council election to tout the council for the release of Sea of Sorrows. Not that this isn't a good idea, it just stinks of shaky writing.

Evon is the far more interesting character, they're just not showing it. It's sad and weird.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not here for American politics. I'm here for a damn fantasy story.
Didn't really answer the question, but okay, I sympathize with you that an appropriate amount of fantasy story for all potential audiences has not been delivered.

edit: Just read the little backstory pieces on each. Literally cutthroat politics, eh

Lunar15

Didn't really answer the question, but okay, I sympathize with you that an appropriate amount of fantasy story for all potential audiences has not been delivered.

Haha, no, I know what you mean. I get the idea behind the election. It just would have been more compelling if both characters were an tough choice for everyone because of their character, not because of rewards and fractals.

I think I'm just bummed because both fractals sound cool, and they're gating them behind weak character choices. I'm not really mad. Just kinda bummed. I really do love the lore here and I want to see it used well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haha, no I know what you mean. I get the idea behind the election. It just would have been more compelling if both characters were an tough choice for everyone because of their character, not because of rewards and fractals.

I think I'm just bummed because both fractals sound cool, and they're gating them behind weak character choices.
There are two funny things about this: one is that I'm actually torn between the two candidates both because of their traits and because of their campaign promises. I really want to see the fall of Abbadon, and I actually think Gnashblade might legitimately be better for Lion's Arch. It's a pirate economy fueled by trade, and he's got the firsthand experience. The Lionguard is great to have around during an invasion or to go hunt down a renegade terrorist or what have you, but is Ellen really that well-suited to politics? That she accepted Magnus' offer so readily shows that she's ambitious but I also kind of got the impression that he really wanted the seat and is using her as a proxy, and we know even less about him.

But all that said, I expected Kiel to be a massive underdog and was planning to pledge my support to her in an attempt to keep things close and keep them both as honest as possible. Now I don't know what to do. The reactor fractal sounds like it could be totally awesome too, but I'm not even really thinking about them anymore.

The second funny thing is that you are totally embodying the fed-up-with-the-process, vocally-disenfranchised majority voter right now. You're so disillusioned with the mechanics of the election as presented to the public that you can't really bring yourself to get excited about either candidate, and you think that others are voting for all the wrong reasons. It tickles me.

Lunar15

The second funny thing is that you are totally embodying the fed-up-with-the-process, vocally-disenfranchised majority voter right now. You're so disillusioned with the mechanics of the election as presented to the public that you can't really bring yourself to get excited about either candidate, and you think that others are voting for all the wrong reasons. It tickles me.

I think it's more that I'm drunk and want both fractals, lol.

That being said, I'd kill for better in-game characterization of these two candidates. It's been pitiful so far. Kiel looks like a saint while Gnashblade robs, steals, and looks like a Dudley Doright villian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom