• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Uber hardcore anything isn't really worth it. Semi-hardcore is where it's at. It's kinda silly they don't have a policy in place to deal with that stuff tho. It's not like WvW is THAT important that one member loss hurts.

Wow. That is crazy, and that's what has made me prolong playing an MMO until GW2. I always heard the horror stories of guilds turning into bullies. Glad we are a group of people who casually want to have fun together. No pressure.

Sophia

To be fair, that's a minority of guilds. All my semi-hardcore guilds were never like that. It's more a side effect of poorly run guilds + the need to stay on top, being hardcore and all.

But it does suck, and it's a big turnoff for a lot of players. :(

hythloday

If people like that and have fun with it, more power to em.

Me? I laugh at anyone telling me what I have to do in a video game. Policy? Fuck your policy.

(and yes I know GAFguild has policies too but they are all "don't be a dick" instead of "You must do this thing at this time or ELSE.")

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey, you guys want to see what it's like being in one of the best Tier 1 WvW guilds?

wdV05fI.png

There ya go.

I'm seriously considering whether I should just transfer back to SBI after that little exchange. I run with these guys every night for months, and that is the extent of my built up equity? I'm done. Some people take this game way too seriously...

Yeesh. Exactly the sort of thing I wanted to avoid in my own play experience and conversely the exact antithesis of the environment I wanted us to provide in our guild.

I guess it IS a guaranteed aspect of the highest tier meta in any competitive environment, but dang!

Well, we've got a warm bed for you on SBI if you want it :p

Sophia

I'm not even sure why you didn't just bring your friends anyhow. Not like 3-5 people extra are going to hurt in World vs World. o_O;

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Hey, you guys want to see what it's like being in one of the best Tier 1 WvW guilds?

wdV05fI.png

There ya go.

I'm seriously considering whether I should just transfer back to SBI after that little exchange. I run with these guys every night for months, and that is the extent of my built up equity? I'm done. Some people take this game way too seriously...

Come to SBI, join GafGuild. The majority of GafGuild is so non-elite that our Guild-Only CoF runs take 3x longer than a GW2LFG pug. But we have soooo much more fun.

Eesh. That kind of shit makes me hope Tarnished Coast never moves up to tier 1. I would hate to see my guild devolve into...that. I'm in one of the top WvW guilds in NA tier 2 and we treat each other with way more respect and courtesy than that.

mikeGFG

Banned

wdV05fI.png

There ya go.

WvW players are literally the worst.

I got banned on the spot from my entire server's Teamspeak server because someone thought I was a spy from another t1 server.

wdV05fI.png

There ya go.

They don't want you to rep another guild or they don't want you to do your own thing for one night? First one doesnt seem that bad, second one is pretty damn retarded

hythloday

I remember a painfully epic CM explorable run with Arken one night that kept us up until 2 AM. It was close to launch and none of us had done CM explorable before and we hit a point where we weren't sure where to go so we went upstairs and threw pillows at each other.

TrounceX

They don't want you to rep another guild or they don't want you to do your own thing for one night? First one doesnt seem that bad, second one is pretty damn retarded

They didn't want me to do my own thing for one night...

And I'm in GAF guild already but thanks! This is Advent or Chase, so I'm sure a lot of you know me. It gets confusing with so many different names I know.

I remember a painfully epic CM explorable run with Arken one night that kept us up until 2 AM. It was close to launch and none of us had done CM explorable before and we hit a point where we weren't sure where to go so we went upstairs and threw pillows at each other.

the best run I ever had was with kvothe, kos, lil jp, and somebody else I dont remember. We were doing fractal level 20 and decided to jump past the harpies which ended up taking an extra hour and half that wasn't necessary. What a great run

Kite

This is weird, I was just running with that commander in TC's BL.. I know the guild in question, they are a hardcore wvw only guild. Honestly I would say to leave F**R and join a PVX guild or join GAF in SBI. I'm kinda stuck in a hard choice as well, I love wvw and want to join a guild that focuses on that, but I also want the freedom to derp around for a day or two in PVE once in a while. See what this COF path 1 every one is always talking about or what this election thing is all about. But all the really good wvw guilds are the hardcore ones >.>

Just leak out when you can. Always happy to see you reppin GAF and doin the noob pve shit with us every once in awhile :)

Tisk tisk. According to map chat in Queensdale earlier tonight, "newb" is a non-derogatory term, meaning someone is just new to the game. While "noob" is totally slanderous, meaning someone who is familiar with the game, and goes out of their way to wreck the "train".

Or, they could all just have been non- friendly folk. Thankfully I got that Ellen achievement quickly.

Levyne

Banned
I might be in the thread a lot tomorrow because I will be a passenger in a car for about 6 hours and probably be incredibly bored.

Plus I gotta secure my number 3 post # spot from Kos.

wdV05fI.png

There ya go.

WvW guilds are scum, I like WvW but sheeeesh i would never join a scumbag guild like that...

the best run I ever had was with kvothe, kos, lil jp, and somebody else I dont remember. We were doing fractal level 20 and decided to jump past the harpies which ended up taking an extra hour and half that wasn't necessary. What a great run

Oh man the memories...that run started with us all happy and ready to knock out a fractal level before heading to bed and then the harpies showed up and just fucked everything up and we started hating the game, our selves and each other but we were so close we could not just stop.

I think Laroo was with us, I miss that dude.

Arcteryx

Had to chuckle at the WvW pic, as I left(on good terms) that same guild about ~2 weeks back. Just got bored with the current state of WvW in T1(BG doesn't even want fights, just runs/hides in keeps) and the lack of WvW rewards/progression(no, titles aren't progression).

On top of that, one of the "commanders"(not Ace or Ben, they are awesome) started annoying the shit outta me with his acts toward other guilds/the SoR community, so I pretty much just told Ben that I was taking a prolonged break due to stale WvW/the other commander annoying the fuck outta me.

They are an awesome guild, but sadly(as is life) the two leaders can't be around 24/7 to police the other commanders and their actions. Don is usually a pretty chill dude; my guess is participation was down or something that week and he was just annoyed that people were off doing non-WvW during the "raid" slot(it is pretty much in the "rulebook" that during WvW time you gotta be doing WvW/be in q for it).

Anyways, it goes with the territory of pretty much any "hardcore" guild: some require 100% rep(FEAR didn't, unless it was during WvW), others require 100% WvW time during raids, others have mandatory PvE stuff/actual raids, etc. Also, the weekend is one of the main focuses for FEAR in WvW(as Ace has much more time to lead); plus WvW as a whole has much more going on during that initial time after reset.

Supposedly, per the SoR high commanders(Indo etc), WvW meta is going to get a big change in the future with more focus on mid-size or smaller groups(maybe some kind of buffs to party/group size or penalties for zerging). Maybe when that happens I'll look into WvW again :)

Levyne

Banned
Part of me wishes I tried more wvw back when SBI was tier 1. Oh well. I enjoy the moderate time I put in now, even on an unremarkable server.

Oh man the memories...that run started with us all happy and ready to knock out a fractal level before heading to bed and then the harpies showed up and just fucked everything up and we started hating the game, our selves and each other but we were so close we could not just stop.

I think Laroo was with us, I miss that dude.

oh yea it was laroo. Yea I miss him as well

Trey

That kind of stuff doesn't bother me. That's what it takes to be competitive at the highest level with something. It's definitely not for everybody.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sorry my computer started locking up again at like 1AM or whatever it was. Don't know if you guys say my message on mumble but I just got too frustrated and rebooted and went to bed again. I got like 20 kills in the last holdout at the wall of hills before the one that let them get it back at least.

Think all I need for my monthly now is to salvage a bunch of stuff!

Failed to try aspect arena yesterday but I got all that other good stuff done.

So what's the best way to get fortune scraps? I'd like to buy a back piece from there rather than the TP if I can help it!

edit:

Hey guys Like GW2 on Facebook! If we hit 1m by the end of the month we all get in-game goodies.

pyros

Really enjoying my first few day of GW2, been grinding a lot and dying a lot more, especially to an event creature, a Risen Brood Mother, can hardly do damage, has a charge attack that one shots me and it regenerates when you go out of range.

I hope I don't need to participate in the guild any time soon to stay a member, because I'm not leaving until I kill that thing.

xeris

Really enjoying my first few day of GW2, been grinding a lot and dying a lot more, especially to an event creature, a Risen Brood Mother, can hardly do damage, has a charge attack that one shots me and it regenerates when you go out of range.

I hope I don't need to participate in the guild any time soon to stay a member, because I'm not leaving until I kill that thing.

The biggest thing is to learn the tell for when that charge attack is going to go off and remember to use your dodge when you see it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's no way they're getting nearly 60k likes in four days.

well not with that attitude >:eek:

You are participating in the guild ;) No kidding, kill that thing eventually and it gets us some influence.

TrounceX

That kind of stuff doesn't bother me. That's what it takes to be competitive at the highest level with something. It's definitely not for everybody.

I hear ya, and I understand the sentiment.

I guess it just seemed way too impersonal, and totally out of proportion with the effort I put in on a daily basis for them.

It's whatever, I'm over it. Ironically at like 2AM last night our guild leader (Ace) whispers me and asks if I can test guardian builds in the mists with him. I helped him out, and then explained the situation that happened earlier with Don Foe. He said the guild is actively trying to cull people so that only the most hardcore remain. This is all in preparation for the supposed zerg nerf that's coming. (first i've heard of this...)

So basically, be as big a dick as possible to everyone to see who can take it.

...That just doesn't sit right with me. I think I'll be taking my skills elsewhere. I hope they can find another Guardian who's ok running full clerics and spamming Tome of Courage every fight (no kills, no bags, no wxp).

http://tsym.enjin.com/

looks like a pretty good bet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What zone is that Risen Broodmother in? It might be the quaggan one and that sucker has to be near impossibke to solo
If these are his first few days I highly doubt he's in the Straits of Devastation.

edit: Were I to venture a guess, he's in Caledon Forest.
Guardian who's ok running full clerics and spamming Tome of Courage every fight (no kills, no bags, no wxp).
A true hero.
http://tsym.enjin.com/

looks like a pretty good bet.
Can't argue with their attitude. :)

Katoki

I think prior to the end of free realm transfers was when WvW was the best. It really sucks that T1 has evolved to this kind of state now.

I think I got that far as well haha. Decided to start a second character and go back there later :p

Katoki

Honestly I think I'm going to leave the Zhaitan part of the story until whenever they decide to revamp it. After two (or three) goes, it's fallen into the "never again" category.

In other news, I should have made a warrior a long time ago. I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of attacking everything.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Underwater forgotten gods? Story seems pretty good so far. I was expecting an ending a lot sooner too, but it keeps going.

Sounds like two more henchmen to hunt down before Sata... Zhaitan shows up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Honestly I think I'm going to leave the Zhaitan part of the story until whenever they decide to revamp it. After two (or three) goes, it's fallen into the "never again" category.

In other news, I should have made a warrior a long time ago. I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of attacking everything.
Are you saying you've tried Arah story 2 or 3 times?
Underwater forgotten gods? Story seems pretty good so far. I was expecting an ending a lot sooner too, but it keeps going.
That's Abbadon! The one we may or may not get a fractal about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom