• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Indeed, playing an ele in GW2 is the closest you can get to being the Avatar

Best Buy Gift Cards become gems aw yeah!

well i can control them all i just can't do it at the same time ala avatar state

You have to switch attunements to change elements. Ele's can't swap weapons, but elemental attunements more than make up for this. You have 20 weapon skills at your disposal. Really try to learn the combos, when to change attunement, and you can really pile on the damage or condition damage, while giving yourself or allies boons.

Baskcm

You have to switch attunements to change elements. Ele's can't swap weapons, but elemental attunements more than make up for this. You have 20 weapon skills at your disposal. Really try to learn the combos, when to change attunement, and you can really pile on the damage or condition damage, while giving yourself or allies boons.

yeah got to grips with most of them

yeah got to grips with most of them

Yeah it takes time to get good at playing an ele, and I don't feel I'm even there yet. I don't have much experience with other classes, but playing my ele is just so much fun, I really haven't wanted to play a different class. I've jumped on my wifes pc to help her with a jumping puzzle at times, and I'm lost playing as her mesner. I started a guardian, and the poor girl stares at me at the character select screen with her lowly level 3. Maybe one day.

Baskcm

Yeah it takes time to get good at playing an ele, and I don't feel I'm even there yet. I don't have much experience with other classes, but playing my ele is just so much fun, I really haven't wanted to play a different class. I've jumped on my wifes pc to help her with a jumping puzzle at times, and I'm lost playing as her mesner. I started a guardian, and the poor girl stares at me at the character select screen with her lowly level 3. Maybe one day.

i started a engineer at first thought mmmmm ele might be good got addicted to him

well i can control them all i just can't do it at the same time ala avatar state

You know, Elementalists could have some Elite skill that was a multi-elemental attack, something like...
Okami+Shuffle.gif

Levyne

Banned
Whenever I'm playing another class, I just think "man, I'd rather be playing the ranger." Except potentially the guard. Not being able to die is fun.

Anno

Whenever I'm playing another class, I just think "man, I'd rather be playing the ranger." Except potentially the guard. Not being able to die is fun.

So I don't get you guys in WvW. I'd say 3 of every 5 rangers I run across I just smash, barely losing any health. 1 out of 5 we basically spar for a long time, eventually one winning narrowly or (more likely) someone shows up to tip the scales. And then the last 1 just melts me in no time at all despite being built almost specifically around condition removal. I don't get it, must be a certain type of build? The ones that beat me tend to be more melee focused, so maybe traps?

Levyne

Banned
I dunno how to answer that. Guardian is a tough matchup for Ranger. I'd much rather find a War or Ele or other ranger, and a well timed rapid fire can cheese some of the advantages of theives and mesmers. In a one on one fight (or small group), signet of renewal becomes a huge factor. It's basically a one time condition clearing mulligan. I'll win twice as often if I have it available compared to if I don't. If I am folliwing a commander I'll bring Wild Signet, Stone signet, and protect me for stability, stun break, and 12s of invuln for those pushes. Coupled with WS adept minor endurance regen, I usually don't see many problems pushing even as glass. However that's not the greatest setup for a small encounter. I'd rather have renewal signet, quickenimg zephyr, and some other defensive skill, as well as a sword on hand (which I won't use in a large crowd as it's not the best tagging weapon.) I used to always hate getting encountered with my longbow equipped in a small group but it's actually a bit more viable now with the buffs from the balance patch and now the stealth option.

Long story short, rangers don't have a lot of stabilty or cleansing options (stabilty requires a specific trait or elite, seriously), so if you catch them with those down or not available, you'll probably have a really easy time compared to one that does. Ranger doesn't really shine in any one specific area in wvw from my experience. They are best as long range support, as stale and safe as that sounds. If I have a decent stack of might and have the enlarged transform. I can hit for near 5k a shot on crits from 1500 away with longbow. It's great for downing single targets that have their attention elsewhere. It probably seems a bit cowardly and oppurtunistic, but in a small group setting, say, 3 on 3 at a sentry or something, a ranger on either side is probably best swapped with something else. Though a ranger catching someone by surprise is probably one of the more dangerous situations to be in. Though that could just be me homer-ing for the class in one of the small ways I can.

Proven

So I don't get you guys in WvW. I'd say 3 of every 5 rangers I run across I just smash, barely losing any health. 1 out of 5 we basically spar for a long time, eventually one winning narrowly or (more likely) someone shows up to tip the scales. And then the last 1 just melts me in no time at all despite being built almost specifically around condition removal. I don't get it, must be a certain type of build? The ones that beat me tend to be more melee focused, so maybe traps?

Sounds like the sPvP Condition Bunker build that's fallen out of the meta but more and more rangers have been taking into WvW.

It's basically a condition spike build using traps and torch offhand, among other things. Those are the two types of skills I just know to dodge the most.

If these are his first few days I highly doubt he's in the Straits of Devastation.

edit: Were I to venture a guess, he's in Caledon Forest.

Hey man, I never want to judge progress by time. Some people are really effecient!

In reality, I forgot that there are Risen in Caledon. ;/

nataku

T4 Candidate Trails sucks.

Can't quite get it done solo killing only plunderers. Things really go crazy around the 2 minute mark. Figured I'd group up with another person, but the entire thing scales so much you can't kill them nearly as quickly as you can solo so it ends up being way harder.

T4 Candidate Trails sucks.

Can't quite get it done solo killing only plunderers. Things really go crazy around the 2 minute mark. Figured I'd group up with another person, but the entire thing scales so much you can't kill them nearly as quickly as you can solo so it ends up being way harder.

I ended up running into similar issues around the 2 min mark both solo and with a half group. Ended up getting it with a full group of GAFers after a few attempts. Yell at Cadarn if I'm on, and I'd be up for trying to help.

nataku, yeah the trials can suck, but from my experience, keep trying it solo. It can be a pain, but is easier as the enemies do scale.

I was able to get the jade maw for my Evon achievement entirely with a pug tonight. Wasn't stressful at all. Good times.

2 quick and easy CoF runs for achievements, thanks to the helpful party members there.

Thank you to Hawkian and Kos for getting the makeups going today, and of course the guild members who showed up to get comms/ help others get comms. Great help everyone, as usual.

jersoc

back after 4 day vacation.

thanks to the fine folks who took my noob ass in cof to finish off kiel achievements.

i almost solod the t4 candidate but too many vets in the last minute. i failed by 15 fucking seconds. so pissed.

Mxrz

Are berserker weapons worth it if you have low crit chance to begin with? I run around in full power-toughness-vit armor on my guardian, and the precision on weapons feels like a waste with that setup.

Culling commencing. All those who have not played since April 1, 2013, will be removed. Have a nice day.
There a way to actually check this in game? One of the things I miss most from the GW guild panel.

Ashodin

Culling Hall of Fame (usernames)

kamen senshi
Ferchis
Fenex
ggreen
inter
Zero
arvirob
DFB
fontman
goonie
Xavier
Soktos
blitzcloud
DeejayKnight
chaulie
Pravus
ten
HEXAntiStyle
Xevren
Einbroch
LionFranco
VitalNerve
realmeat
Moridin
Herbert
Delryk
Rebellion
TownFool
cookiecups
AcoutsticLemmon
siov
Merik
Lark Demore
animlboogy
Zeta Epyon
SixMachine
Wiggin
ExplodingShellCannon
Vae Victus
Chadatog
Veli
| Vanquish |
Kahvi
laroo
Watari
PorkchopSouffle
divzy

TrounceX

Are berserker weapons worth it if you have low crit chance to begin with? I run around in full power-toughness-vit armor on my guardian, and the precision on weapons feels like a waste with that setup.

There a way to actually check this in game? One of the things I miss most from the GW guild panel.

I would run a berserker weapon with an accuracy sigil.

And I know you didn't ask for advice about your armor, but I'd think twice about using PVT. If you're doing mostly PvE/Dungeons then you'll be better served by PPT. There are enough ways to mitigate damage and heal yourself that vitality isn't that important.

Kite

You can try getting some more precision on your trinkets and east some precision boosting consumables (maintenance oil iirc) and put sigil of precision on one of your weapons and swap it out after you get your 25 stacks. But honestly unless you are playing wvw you don't need soldiers armor, in pve you'd be better off in knights or zerker armor.

Retro

Lots of familiar names in that culling list :(

That's since April 1st? I swear I've seen some of those names on...

If anyone was mistakenly culled, an invite is always open to them. It's housekeeping, so we have room and so the guild panel doesn't cause lag when opened... Though I think they fixed that.

Jira

My anniversary thread is pretty much finished now thanks to the continued help from Retro. All I need to add to it is whatever is in the 6th and 20th updates. Also, they could possibly post a blog just for the anniversary detailing that but I'm pretty sure I know when I'll be posting the thread.

Jira

So someone found this interesting bug. It's of Evon or Ellen, so this explains why the hologram projector is still in LA after DB ended. Whoever wins is probably going to have their hologram displayed for 2 weeks or something.

At least i'm somewhere!

Tbh I gave all the rewards i got to the clan whenever I got them, but I understand why inactive players have to go.

If I go back into the game I can just re-apply I assume?

Also, I think the april 1st thing is wrong. I'm sure I played super adventure box days after the trailer for a couple days.

kamen senshi
Ferchis
Fenex
ggreen
inter
Zero
arvirob
DFB
fontman
goonie
Xavier
Soktos
blitzcloud
DeejayKnight
chaulie
Pravus
ten
HEXAntiStyle
Xevren
Einbroch
LionFranco
VitalNerve
realmeat
Moridin
Herbert
Delryk
Rebellion
TownFool
cookiecups
AcoutsticLemmon
siov
Merik
Lark Demore
animlboogy
Zeta Epyon
SixMachine
Wiggin
ExplodingShellCannon
Vae Victus
Chadatog
Veli
| Vanquish |
Kahvi
laroo
Watari
PorkchopSouffle
divzy

nooo larooooo

Sophia

If anyone was mistakenly culled, an invite is always open to them. It's housekeeping, so we have room and so the guild panel doesn't cause lag when opened... Though I think they fixed that.

Nah they haven't. I've actually considered moving the guild key to some obscure button because once in a blue moon I curse myself when I hit it by accident. Mid combat lag is never good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lots of familiar names in that culling list :(

That's since April 1st? I swear I've seen some of those names on...
I think I've seen a couple of them too. It's not a perfect system, and anyone is welcome back very simply.
At least i'm somewhere!

Tbh I gave all the rewards i got to the clan whenever I got them, but I understand why inactive players have to go.

If I go back into the game I can just re-apply I assume?

Also, I think the april 1st thing is wrong. I'm sure I played super adventure box days after the trailer for a couple days.
I won't speak for the rest of guild leadership but just you still being involved enough to have noticed your culling is enough justification for you to be readded IMO, even if you aren't playing much. Our goal is really just to remove people who legitimately aren't involved with the guild at all so that they don't take up room for people who are.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I think I've seen a couple of them too. It's not a perfect system, and anyone is welcome back very simply.

I won't speak for the rest of guild leadership but just you still being involved enough to have noticed your culling is enough justification for you to be readded IMO, even if you aren't playing much. Our goal is really just to remove people who legitimately aren't involved with the guild at all so that they don't take up room for people who are.

Can there be GAFGold Membership, that people can pay to never be culled?

Surprised I didnt get the chop, cant seem to find the time to log on. Well that and my internet connection is fubar and im waiting on an enginer to come out and sort it.

Retro

I won't speak for the rest of guild leadership but just you still being involved enough to have noticed your culling is enough justification for you to be readded IMO, even if you aren't playing much.

That's actually explicitly spelled out in the Guild Policy; if you're involved enough to notice you've been culled, you shouldn't have been culled in the first place. Only the folks who don't check in, and thus wouldn't notice, should be gone. Accidents happen and we don't have a 100% foolproof method. Anyone who wants in gets back in immediately. Nothing personal.

oktarb

woo dodged cull by buying a flute :D

I've been absent a lot due to the personal dimensions in Rift. I love designing them...though they server no purpose as I have zero friends in that game.

It's the one thing I'd skin baby seals for. A home to decorate, trophies to mount. Something to work on besides my character or achievements. So what if I'm a Norn Martha Stewart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom