• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo MCC remasters voices in international markets.. by removing them.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
No Spanish subtitles? Most games tend to get a full FIGS (French, Italian, German and Spanish) translation for subtitles, at least. It may be worth clarifying this with Microsoft again.

Strange that no subs for Spain exist.

I'm lucky in this regard as a native British speaker. I have a few Swedish buddies who hate playing games in Swedish I figured that was a global thing and the majority just preffered English audio with local subs kind of how the wester market consume anime with dubs

I think everyone should be able to understand English and what better way to learn than to play video games in English.

Personally I really detest translating audio from from English to other languages in any media. And subtitles are usually translated poorly missing some of the stuff that was said.

All Japanese games should always remain in Japanese with no localisation.

^ See how dumb that sounds. I support your cause OP. In a worldwide industry such as this it is important for each region and language to receive the utmost support when a game is sold there.

Best of luck OP. I'm an American, and hearing your argument sounds infuriating. It's more or less just straight neglect. At least toss some subtitles in there.

Sounds like you're movement has caught some traction though, so here's to hoping it ends with a full, proper translation.

Darksol

Because it seems to be the global language and because something like this can happen. Somethings will be harder for you in life if you only understand your native language. It makes communicating with foreigners a lot easier because the chances are that they can speak English.

How's your Chinese?

I think everyone should be able to understand English and what better way to learn than to play video games in English.

Personally I really detest translating audio from from English to other languages in any media. And subtitles are usually translated poorly missing some of the stuff that was said.

Yeah, because that's not ignorant at all

Atruvius

All Japanese games should always remain in Japanese with no localisation.

^ See how dumb that sounds. I support your cause OP. In a worldwide industry such as this it is important for each region and language to receive the utmost support when a game is sold there.
I am talking about English here. I would rather play any game in English rather than in its native language. And I am talking about dubs. I don't mind subs but they usually don't contain everything that was said, at least in television series.

How's your Chinese?
Is Chinese a global language? Would you commonly encounter non-native Chinese speakers on your trip to Italy or Mexico?

Yeah, because that's not ignorant at all
Not really. It would be more ignorant not to learn any languages.

The irony of this is that they majority of games you enjoyed growing up were translated from Japanese.

Smh.

^^

When was the last time you went to Italy? Bloody hell.

JonCha

Non-English speakers should be able to hear and read the game in their language. Simple as that. I've voted on the Xbox feedback petition. Good luck - there are no excuses really in 2014.

I am talking about English here. I would rather play any game in English rather than in its native language. And I am talking about dubs. I don't mind subs but they usually don't contain everything that was said, at least in television series.

Is Chinese a global language? Would you commonly encounter non-native Chinese speakers on your trip to Italy or Mexico?

Not really. It would be more ignorant not to learn any languages.

Sure, force people to assimilate so you don't have to do the extra work to translate so they can enjoy the same media we do but in their own language

kubus

I kinda feel your pain OP. I live in the Netherlands and I played the original Halo 2 last year and I was shocked that there weren't any subtitles outside of cutscenes. English is not my native language and while I have a good understanding of it, it's very hard to both focus on the action on the screen and listen to whatever dialogue is playing in the background. I missed about half of the story and had to read Wikis to get caught up.

I can only imagine how frustrating this must be to deaf players.

I really hope they fix this in the Collection for everyone whose native language is not English and so I support your cause!

Atruvius

Sure, force people to assimilate so you don't have to do the extra work to translate so they can enjoy the same media we do but in their own language

Finland doesn't have a dubbing culture, when I was a kid probably 1% of games got translated into Finnish. So consuming media in English is the norm for me. I don't mind if there's an option to choose a different dub or sub language and I also don't mind if the game is only in English.

The irony of this is that they majority of games you enjoyed growing up were translated from Japanese.

Smh.
Eh, the only Japanese games I own are MGS series, FF12, GT5, DMC4 and Yakuza 3. So I'm not that into Japanese games. Yakuza 3 I'd rather play with Japanese VO because it is so Japanese. But that's probably one of the only exceptions for me.

Sometimes the money that goes into dubbing could be used better. Resistance 2 had a finnish dub, which was pretty awful. And I don't think there was any need for it because we don't dub our movies and tv shows we only have subtitles.

And I do agree with not having any subtitles is awful. I always have subtitles on when I play games or watch movies in case I miss what was said.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did Halo 2 only have the 'blended' subtitles? Perhaps that is why they are removing them, rather than getting new Castilian + Latin subs made?

Orhyanos

Neo Member
Yeah lol hopefully dubbing will never be a thing in Finland. Nobody would want that and there's no way it wouldn't be the worst thing ever recorded in human history haha.

I feel your pain op, inconsistency is a bitch. In an ideal world It should be standard to at least have every game subtitled to the native language (or multiple languages) and also have the option to use the original English subtitles/voice acting and not make that a pain in the ass to do. Halo 4 was subbed in Finnish and the only way to switch to English (which a lot of people here did) was to change your country in your profile. Hopefully they change that.

AlexBasch

Somehow I landed a Halo 2 copy about two years ago that was in English.

Posted about it in Facebook and some guys offered me good money for it.

Apparently that 'latin spanish' translation was indeed too awful.

Neper

Neo Member
What is Microsoft thinking? This is just insane, they can't do something like this in a franchise like Halo, it's incredibly disrespectful.

myca77

I can almost understand the reasoning behind not doing a new dub. As once you've taken in all the costs (translation, casting, studio hire, director, actors, post production, implementation, creating the test builds, loc QA) you can be talking about a big chunk of money. But for such a big title you would expect it to sell enough to recoup those costs. Not having subtitles seems really strange, as the least you would expect is for the initial poor translation to be re-done and subs implemented which would be about a tenth of the costs of a full dub.

Seems like a strange decision from Microsoft, and not a good one for native Spanish speakers, Castilian and Latin American.

Adnor

Banned

But it's a videogame not a learning tool, not everyone wants to learn a second language just to play a game.

If Microsoft wants to sell a product in a spanish speaking country they should translate it. Especially when they already have a translation that they would just copy and paste, even if it's just the subs.

Neper

Neo Member
If Microsoft wants to sell a product in a spanish speaking country they should translate it. Especially when they already have a translation

So much this. Microsoft is one of the biggest multinational corporations out there, if they want to mass sell their products they should take good care of basic things such as localization.

lmbotiva

I remember that game was released when I started my English classes so I knew squat about the language and after hearing the Spanish dub I went back to English lol

Akai__

As someone who is living in Germany, I can feel with you. German dubs are cringe worthy as well.

If anyone is to blame for bad localisation, it is the developer, though. I know for a fact, that these localisation studios aren't getting too much material to work with, which makes things like lip synchronisation impossible. Bad translation also happens, because the people translating it, don't know the context.

So yeah, instead of getting bad dubs, I would rather have the original language with or without subtitles, depending on the language.

Edit: I'm still losing my shit at "El jefe maestro" being (mexican-)spanish for Master Chief. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just posting to show my support. Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear that OP, definitely sympathetic.

I'm surprised about the subtitles, I wonder what technical reason [assuming] is so cost abhorrent that they chose to not do it.
I doubt it's a good enough reason, at least to consumers.

CTLance

So yeah, instead of getting bad dubs, I would rather have the original language with or without subtitles, depending on the language.
As someone who grew up with stuff like this...
I9uVCjZ.jpg

...I absolutely get what you're talking about. OmU über alles.

Still, without localisation there would be no market. Face it, the average German learns some base level English at school and then spends the rest of their lives trying to drink enough beer to kill the neurons that contain that knowledge.

Bonus said:
We need a third section with "93, EU version".

great news for me, Halo games were some of the only ones that didn't have multiple languages and the dubs were straight up horrible but i will support your cause.

Neper

Neo Member
Best of luck OP. I'm an American, and hearing your argument sounds infuriating. It's more or less just straight neglect. At least toss some subtitles in there.

Sounds like you're movement has caught some traction though, so here's to hoping it ends with a full, proper translation.

I wish they reconsider it, having Halo 2 without a proper dub is nonsense nowadays. And in an IP like Halo... well, it's just plain ridiculous.

Oh come on, We mexicans had and still have to deal with your spanish dubs and regionalism in that era of gaming, MS just launched Halo 2 with mexican dub and you get so mad in that time, just deal with it like we do.

Even more we have to play Halo CEA in Spain dub, it wasnt a latinamerican dub. So I am fine to hear it in english rather to hear it in Spain

Neper

Neo Member
It was the one of the few opportunies in latinamerica in that time to dub a game so It was expected to sound bad.

We're not talking about the "latin" accent here. Halo 2's dub was horrible. I've heard Halo 3 and ODST in Latin and those were well dubbed games. Halo 2 wasn't, it had terrible voice acting.

But the solution is not removing the voices, the solution is exactly the same that Bungie did with future Halos: a proper Spanish dub for each region.

Hahahaha OMG, this is a disaster.

I remember back in the day when Halo 2 was released, it caused a HUGE shitstorm in Spain. Thats why Microsoft decided to not go the cheap wat next time and the rest of the games where dub correctly, like Halo 1 at first, and then the rest of the Halos after 2.

And they try to do the same shit again?

Hope this thread doesnt turn into latin spanish speakers saying suck it and deal with it. It hurts both sides.

EDIT
Too late.
Oh come on, We mexicans had and still have to deal with your spanish dubs and regionalism in that era of gaming, MS just launched Halo 2 with mexican dub and you get so mad in that time, just deal with it like we do.

Even more we have to play Halo CEA in Spain dub, it wasnt a latinamerican dub. So I am fine to hear it in english rather to hear it in Spain

Just fight like the rest if you want a dub in your own language, but don't fuck people over becuase you apparently dont like what you are getting. If you dont like castillian spanish in your dubs fight it to be in your own country one. The Halo 2 dub was not even latino american, it was some guys in Los Angeles doing a shitty dub.

Neper

Neo Member
Hahahaha OMG, this is a disaster.

I remember back in the day when Halo 2 was released, it caused a HUGE shitstorm in Spain. Thats why Microsoft decided to not go the cheap wat next time and the rest of the games where dub correctly, like Halo 1 at first, and then the rest of the Halos after 2.

And they try to do the same shit again?

That's why the whole story seems absurd to me. It's amazing that they are going to make that same mistake twice.

Hope this thread doesnt turn into latin spanish speakers saying suck it and deal with it. It hurts both sides.

Totally agreed, the OP says "this is not a post about accents" and we should keep the thread that way. But Disney and Microsoft learned the lesson and now movies and games are properly dubbed for Europe and America. And that just seems the right thing to do for massive international corporations like them.

nynt9

While I understand English, I support this cause. Lack of dub is understandable for me, but lack of subs is utterly unacceptable.

We're not talking about the "latin" accent here. Halo 2's dub was horrible. I've heard Halo 3 and ODST in Latin and those were well dubbed games. Halo 2 wasn't, it had terrible voice acting.

But the solution is not removing the voices, the solution is exactly the same that Bungie did with future Halos: a proper Spanish dub for each region.

You dont know how important was letting latin america get the chance to heard their own language in a game. Yes the voice acting can sound terrible and awful but it was a huge step for latinamerica and we had fun hearing emo chief or the marines speaking in mexican regionalisms rather than spain regionalism. I will be very sad to see reworked spain dub but not a latinamerican one

I was so dissapointed they dont added latinamerican voices for DLC firefight in Reach or the Spain dub for Halo CEA only available for spain regions consoles.

Neper

Neo Member
You dont know how important was letting latin america get the chance to heard their own language in a game. Yes the voice acting can sound terrible and awful but it was a huge step for latinamerica and we had fun hearing emo chief or the marines speaking in mexican regionalisms rather than spain regionalism. I will be very sad to see reworked spain dub but not a latinamerican one

I was so dissapointed they dont added latinamerican voices for DLC firefight in Reach or the Spain dub for Halo CEA only available for spain regions consoles.

Of course! And I totally agree with you. Every region should get a proper localization, and I'm really glad that you guys got a decent dub for future Halos. That's why this thread is importante: Microsoft can't laugh at both regions again, they need to properly dub Halo 2 Anniversary for every region.

RdN

Halo 3 and ODST dubs in Portuguese are also horrendous. Things got better with Reach and Halo 4, but it's still nowhere near the quality that the franchise deserves.

But, with that said, I will always prefer to have the original English voice with subtitles. This was a problem on the 360, since the small DVD couldn't fit both the original and the dubbed language, but now with BluRay, it won't be a problem.

Of course! And I totally agree with you. Every region should get a proper localization, and I'm really glad that you guys got a decent dub for future Halos. That's why this thread is importante: Microsoft can't laugh at both regions again, they need to properly dub Halo 2 Anniversary for every region.

I really hope Spain and Latinamerica get a proper sub or at least proper spanish subs (for each region)

Top Bottom