• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo MCC remasters voices in international markets.. by removing them.

evildose

Neo Member
At the very least they should add subtitles. I'm english speaking myself but this needs to be fixed. The flagship title for the one, halo, should be able to be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of what language they speak. I could see if it was some indie title and they did not have the resources but the MCC has the resources to do so. Hopefully this gets fixed.

Neper

Neo Member
I really hope Spain and Latinamerica get a proper sub or at least proper spanish subs (for each region)

I would really like a full dub instead (there is still time until November). But yes, at least SOMETHING in Spanish in the final game. Heck, I would even be up for the original dub at this point, as long as we get voice acting somehow.

Neper

Neo Member
At the very least they should add subtitles. I'm english speaking myself but this needs to be fixed. The flagship title for the one, halo, should be able to be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of what language they speak. I could see if it was some indie title and they did not have the resources but the MCC has the resources to do so. Hopefully this gets fixed.

That's the main point actually. Microsoft has ludicrously deep pockets, they have plenty of resources for localizing their main franchise wherever it's needed. It's absurd to have a game in a Collection of 4 come in full English while the others are properly dubbed. It will make the "mix and play" experience for MCC odd and awkward.

I would really like a full dub instead (there is still time until November). But yes, at least SOMETHING in Spanish in the final game. Heck, I would even be up for the original dub at this point, as long as we get voice acting somehow.

It could work like PS4 games when you change your region to a non english region, the game just download the proper region language module and the game patches itselft, brilliant move by sony. Just hire the Halo 3 cast and start dubbing MS.

Neper

Neo Member
It could work like PS4 games when you change your region to a non english region, the game just download the proper region language module and the game patches itselft, brilliant move by sony.

Yep, it is a very clever solution, actually. And Microsoft tried to go all-digital with XOne, so they should definitely consider.

It could work like PS4 games when you change your region to a non english region, the game just download the proper region language module and the game patches itselft, brilliant move by sony. Just hire the Halo 3 cast and start dubbing MS.

they are not going to re dub for a remaster, best you should expect is subs

bidguy

Banned

it already does this with games that have multiple languages

Akai__

As someone who grew up with stuff like this...
I9uVCjZ.jpg

...I absolutely get what you're talking about. OmU über alles.

Still, without localisation there would be no market. Face it, the average German learns some base level English at school and then spends the rest of their lives trying to drink enough beer to kill the neurons that contain that knowledge.

That made me laugh too hard. :lol

School english in germany sucks, though. I learned more english on XBL, then in my entire shooltime and that speaks for itself. Didn't help, that my english teacher was from Sachsen (relevant) and had a dialect from that region, which made it very hard to understand any word, when he talked english.

Ocaso

No subtitles is ridiculous and unjustifiable given how little space they'd take up and that they already exist. However, I see little purpose to a new dub. I've only seen some of the videos posted here, but as someone who is fluent in Spanish, the most offensive thing in them is the untranslated "Spanglish". It's of mixed quality, but hardly a travesty, with The Arbiter and 343GS sounding quite similar to their English counterparts, and even the ones that sound dissimilar still putting in the effort. While I hope they change their minds on subtitles, I think MS is justified in only offering the original Spanish dub rather than rerecording it.

Neper

Neo Member
they are not going to re dub for a remaster, best you should expect is subs

Halo CEA did have a re-dub in Spain since some of the original voices from Bungie were missing (Captain Keyes, for instance). If they did it for Halo 1, there's no reason the can't do it again for Halo 2.

big_erk

Oh what the hell, I don’t got that long of a life span anyway. Now I’m standing. Y’all happy? We’re all standing up now…a bunch of jackasses.

HardRojo

Weird that there won't be subtitles, I'm a native Spanish speaker myself because I'm from Peru but I do ALL of my gaming in English, menu, subtitles and audio included, sucks for those who play in Spanish :/

Akai__

You guys simply need to learn American and get over it.

If you can't read it, don't play it! The entitlement these days.

Are you being serious? Sure, people on this forum, should be able to play with english voices or subtitles, but what about the average spanish speaking people? You do realize, that there are a lot of people speaking spanish, right? You can't expect them all to be able to speak english or understand everything in english.

moai

i will sign your petition but in my opinion games and movies are meant to be played and seen in their original language, i hate when they come dubbed. subtitles will do the job fine. but i know that in spain dubbing is very prominent and i dont know the situation in the rest of latin america, but here in chile people tend to avoid dubbed material. there is a lot of hate for "spain" spanish dubbing, it sounds so weird to us.

Neper

Neo Member
i will sign your petition but in my opinion games and movies are meant to be played and seen in their original language, i hate when they come dubbed. subtitles will do the job fine. but i know that in spain dubbing is very prominent and i dont know the situation in the rest of latin america, but here in chile people tend to avoid dubbed material. there is a lot of hate for "spain" spanish dubbing, it sounds so weird to us.

This is not about the accent, is about how Microsoft treats its consumers worldwide. Of course, there are different opinions on the topic, but I think this is a very important precedent from Microsoft.

It needs to be dealt with.

Neper

Neo Member
You guys simply need to learn American and get over it.

If you can't read it, don't play it! The entitlement these days.

Oh, then I'm sure that you will gladly play in Japanese every game developed in Japan.

Please, we are trying to be serious here. There are a lot of other markets outside the US that are equally big and important to gaming companies. We consumers are just demanding what we deem fair.

kekke

Banned
No subtitles that's weird, I can understand how some need those. But dubbing is big no no for me, i consider dubbing games movies and tv-shows raping of original vision and art, I can't understand how people prefer dubbing over original audio.

Neper

Neo Member
We have official answer from Frank O'Connor (aka Stinkles):

Yes. We know. We'll discuss it when we have something meaningful to beyond schedule and budget and it is something we are very aware of for H5, but please understand you have been heard and taken seriously. We will now continue with regularly scheduled programming.

maomaoIYP

This thread reminds me of the horrible backfire clusterfuck that was.....halo 3 localized in mandarin (with no other audio options or alternatives save for importing) for......hong kong. A place where the population speaks cantonese and not mandarin.

Adnor

Banned
No subtitles that's weird, I can understand how some need those. But dubbing is big no no for me, i consider dubbing games movies and tv-shows raping of original vision and art, I can't understand how people prefer dubbing over original audio.

It's funny how you think that an adaptation is against the "original vision and art" but have an avatar from The Hobbit movies.

Neper

Neo Member
This thread reminds me of the horrible backfire clusterfuck that was.....halo 3 localized in mandarin (with no other audio options or alternatives save for importing) for......hong kong. A place where the population speaks cantonese and not mandarin.

Microsoft International, making friends all around the world.

It's a shame that things like this still hapen in 2014. The MCC was my primary reason for getting a XOne, but this whole story really annoys me.

Claptrap

Pretty much always the best voice acting is the english one, so the best way to play a game is with english voices and subtitles in your native language(If you have problems with the english language that is).
So a pretty strange move by 434 Industries to not even offer the subtitles, don´t they already exist from the original release of the game?

Neper

Neo Member
Pretty much always the best voice acting is the english one, so the best way to play a game is with english voices and subtitles in your native language(If you have problems with the english language that is).
So a pretty strange move by 434 Industries to not even offer the subtitles, don´t they already exist from the original release of the game?

It's easy to say that when a game is developed in English, but not all games have it as its base language. Localization is basic in a global market.

Yes, the worst thing here is that Bungie already had subs into the original Halo 2, so this makes no sense at all.

Claptrap

It's easy to say that when a game is developed in English, but not all games have it as its base language. Localization is basic in a global market.

Yes, the worst thing here is that Bungie already had subs into the original Halo 2, so this makes no sense at all.

That is why I wrote pretty much always and not always, many developers use english as there base language, but not all.
Ah well, I guess completly ignoring japanese games wasn´t fair of me, even if they sadly lose more and more relevance in the west.
Ok let´s correct my statement, the best way to play a game is with the best voice acting and subtitles in your native language.

Back to Halo 2, that really makes no sense at all and it´ll annoy a lot of people.

Brannon

We have official answer from Frank O'Connor (aka Stinkles):

Isn't this the same guy who kept offering reassurances all throughout Halo 4's shitacular decline? Like, a shitty update, fans complain, reassurance it will be fixed and they are listening, double down on shittiness, repeat because fuck you, dat CoD money?

...and the gunslinger followed.

TheOddOne

Isn't this the same guy who kept offering reassurances all throughout Halo 4's shitacular decline? Like, a shitty update, fans complain, reassurance it will be fixed and they are listening, double down on shittiness, repeat because fuck you, dat CoD money?

...and the gunslinger followed.
The update was actually pretty good, but it was too little too late for it; people had already left and they were mostly fed up.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Is Microsoft forcing Spanish for the other 3 games? If so, that's the biggest no-no in my book. I hope the people who want it get Halo 2 Anniversary dubbed, but Microsoft should also give us the option to play all four games in English if we want to. I remember buying Halo 3 for 360 and not being able to even get past the first level because there was no way to turn off the putrid dubbing it came with.

Neper

Neo Member
Is Microsoft forcing Spanish for the other 3 games? If so, that's the biggest no-no in my book. I hope the people who want it get Halo 2 Anniversary dubbed, but Microsoft should also give us the option to play all four games in English if we want to. I remember buying Halo 3 for 360 and not being able to even get past the first level because there was no way to turn off the putrid dubbing it came with.

Yes, the other 3 games come in full Spanish, ant that's the weird thing about this story.

Anyway, yes, choice is also a good thing. And there's plenty of room within a Blu-Ray to include different languages as a menu option.

I'd be more than happy with the subtitles. Halo Castillian dubs and translations are awful, anyway. I hated that you couldn't change the language in previous generation Halo games, save for anniversary. I've ended up buying both the Spanish and UK editions for most of those games, save for 4; I straight bought the UK version for that one. The Spanish translations are inconsistent and sometimes just ruin the dialogue.

I could give tons of examples of how dreadful they are: botched spaceship names (from Halo 3: "Aquí la Forward hacia la Dawn". WTH?), changing names of the various factions (Pacto-Covenant, Precursores-Forerunners), voice actors changing with every single game, awful delivery in many places, grossly mistranslated lines (Arbiter's "Were it so easy" turns into "Fue muy fácil" ["It was very easy"]). Hell, we even had stupid contests in which a random Halo fan, usually a whiny kid, would dub a few lines from the game; the delivery for those is simply pathetic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hTphwM7NoM#t=47s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfg291ccbI#t=1m37s

I'd be perfectly fine with not having a Spanish dub. They just range from hilariously bad (Halo 2) to plain bad (Halo: CE) to serviceable (3, ODST, Reach and 4). Not having proper subtitles, though, is inexcusable. This is the first time I see something like that happen from a major publisher.

Also, if they force the Spanish dubs for the other games, I'll be mad. There's no excuse now for not having the English voices. Even Fable did it right last gen by letting users download the original English dub.

Neper

Neo Member
I'd be more than happy with the subtitles. Halo Castillian dubs and translations are awful, anyway. I hated that you couldn't change the language in previous generation Halo games, save for anniversary. I've ended up buying both the Spanish and UK editions for most of those games, save for 4; I straight bought the UK version for that one. The Spanish translations are inconsistent and sometimes just ruin the dialogue.

I could give tons of examples of how dreadful they are: botched spaceship names (from Halo 3: "Aquí la Forward hacia la Dawn". WTH?), changing names of the various factions (Pacto-Covenant, Precursores-Forerunners), voice actors changing with every single game, awful delivery in many places, grossly mistranslated lines (Arbiter's "Were it so easy" turns into "Fue muy fácil" ["It was very easy"]). Hell, we even had stupid contests in which a random Halo fan, usually a whiny kid, would dub a few lines from the game; the delivery for those is simply pathetic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hTphwM7NoM#t=47s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfg291ccbI#t=1m37s

I'd be perfectly fine with not having a Spanish dub. They just range from hilariously bad (Halo 2) to plain bad (Halo: CE) to serviceable (3, ODST, Reach and 4). Not having proper subtitles, though, is inexcusable. This is the first time I see something like that happen from a major publisher.

Also, if they force the Spanish dubs for the other games, I'll be mad. There's no excuse now for not having the English voices. Even Fable did it right last gen by letting users download the original English dub.

Not to speak about the 2 different voice actors for Master Chief in Halo 4. Awful.

However, this is exactly why we must demand a proper dub. The solution is not removing the dub and getting just the original full English, the right solution is having a proper and top-quality dub, which is what everyone should expect for an IP like Halo.

OP, I hear you. Not maintaining the same level of localization is just silly. That being said, I can't really relate that much. I live in a European country (Sweden) with zero dub culture (neither TV, movies nor games). TV and movie content is usually subbed in Swedish, but games never are. As such, I've been "forced" to consume English since I was a kid.

Wait, not even subtitles? That is just wrong. I've done my part sharing in groups I belong.
I hope the game gives you the option (for the localized games) to select the spoken language, I don't want to be forced to play it with latin spanish audio.

Neper

Neo Member
Wait, not even subtitles? That is just wrong. I've done my part sharing in groups I belong.

Apparently so. Thanks for sharing! Microsoft needs to fix this mistake.
I hope the game gives you the option (for the localized games) to select the spoken language, I don't want to be forced to play it with latin spanish audio.

So do I, I would love to have dual-audio selection, though I still prefer Spanish dub. But a Blu-Ray has plenty of storage for that.

Neper

Neo Member
I don't think Microsoft cares because the Xbox One isn't really selling well anywhere outside of the USA.

That's exacly why they should care about basic stuff like localization. Halo: MCC was my primary reason for getting a XOne, but these language policies really push me back.

I can't believe there isn't even subtitles. Weren't they even present in the original game? Just take them directly.
Microsoft messing up their best franchise.

Joohanh

who gives a shit

When you're living in a small country with a small amount of people overall speaking your language, you get pretty used to enjoying your media in full English. In fact, for the games that have localization for my country (Finland), I always turn it off. Much better to play the game that way - no clunky translation. If an English book that I'm required to read at my university has a Finnish translation to it, I'm not going to fucking read the translated version. Something always gets lost in the process.

I regard it as useless whining to actually be offended that a game isn't localized. Grow the fuck up. This isn't a children's game where it actually would matter. (Although kid's games in English have the positive effect of teaching a foreign language. That's the way I learned.)

Top Bottom