• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Can someone explain to me why there are resources for Chief's visor to reflect his surroundings, when the player only gets to see it during the cutscenes?

Aren't games only rendering what you see? So the Visor is only taking resources in Coop when looked at or in cutscenes I think. I am probably wrong.

malfcn

It is rendering for Theater..oh wait.

Also, what is with the grav lifts on sniper turrets? I see myself and AI getting stuck all the time.
And the random AI that runs backwards away from you. Normally see it on Jackals, but just had it happen with a crazy Elite carrying a sword.

Rev3rb

I'm talking time resources, not memory(although the extra bytes could be used somewhere else).

I'm sure the "time resources" allocated for that weren't as expensive as you think. Using them elsewhere likely wouldn't have provided any difference to gameplay.

This game utterly refuses to give me a winning team in dominion. I go positive every game, capture bases like mad, but lose every game because I have no help. You would think truskill would kick in and knock me down to easier matches for losing every game, but no, same shitty teammates over and over.

Booties

Banned
Whoa. Spartan ops is terrible. Make ammo dumps more visible. Let me choose my spawn. Don't spawn me in danger or in a random place. Don't drop rocket launchers behind enemy lines. I just end up adjusting my load outs and killing myself until I win. Fun.

Oddball is fun in this game...

How.

HOLD THE BALL TO EARN POINTS

BALL TOSSED
BALL CAUGHT
NICE CATCH
BALL TOSSED
YOUR TEAM CAUGHT THE BALL
YOUR TEAM STILL HAS THE BALL
BALL TOSSED
BALL CAUGHT
SWEET CATCH BRO
YOUR TEAM HAS THE BALL
YOUR TEAM CAUGHT THE BALL
CLOSING IN ON VICTORY
BALLS DROPPED
I WARNED YOU ABOUT THE CATCH, BRO
I TOLD YOU, DAWG

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I think one of the most annoying reoccuring moments I've had with this game is when I bump into a teammates Spartan and I CAN'T GO THE DIRECTION I WANT TO GO AND THEY'RE IN MY FUCKING WAY AND NOW I'M GETTING DRAGGED BY THEM.

DeadNames

Banned
I think one of the most annoying reoccuring moments I've had with this game is when I bump into a teammates Spartan and I CAN'T GO THE DIRECTION I WANT TO GO AND THEY'RE IN MY FUCKING WAY AND NOW I'M GETTING DRAGGED BY THEM.

OH MY GOD THIS.

I swear it happens A LOT in this game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Same, the only time this came in handy is when Juices and I nudged Devo off a cliff in campaign.

haha this shit got me killed on Haven a few times actually. Guys beneath us at those little splits in the top ramps. I just want to jump over and a teammate sprints into my asshole and throws me down into the pits of tartarus.

Nirvana

I just watched the making of Halo 2 and Indie Game the Movie back to back and can't bring myself to talk shit about any game for a good long while now.

Probably until I go negative in BTB

rakka

got so pissed off with the clusterfuck of power weapons and personal ordnance in infinity slayer so decided to try out regicide.

won 4 of 5 games lol.

i shouldn't have to resort to FFA game types (and regicide is hardly like a standard ffa anyway. in one of the games I went +10 while a very close second was -3. wtf???) or swat to enjoy the game though.

hoping ordnance and random weapon spawns don't make a return in any playlist in the next game.

FyreWulff

Remember when I played that CTF game on Condemned with you guys and bro-spawned you five feet away from the enemy flag like a spawn/corpsehose?

Yeah, I just figured out how to do that tonight on Haven with King of the Hill. I spent a bit of time in the match and could reliably spawn my teammates like a hose of death pointed at the hill. Good times.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Remember when I played that CTF game on Condemned with you guys and bro-spawned you five feet away from the enemy flag like a spawn/corpsehose?

Yeah, I just figured out how to do that tonight on Haven with King of the Hill. I spent a bit of time in the match and could reliably spawn my teammates like a hose of death pointed at the hill. Good times.
Oh my God.

We have to do this.
He's the flood God we deserve, but not the one we need right now.
I can't get over how buggy this game is. It's madness!

The Hingehead. We don't like them. At all.

ibggbuqezo4NB9.png

Can someone at 343/Microsoft get a kick ass Halo game going for Windows Phone 8 or perhaps Windows RT/8? I can barely understand why Microsoft hasn't leveraged this franchise for their mobile OS yet, outside of helper apps.

Something like Halo Wars would be cool, too.

wwm0nkey

Can someone at 343/Microsoft get a kick ass Halo game going for Windows Phone 8 or perhaps Windows RT/8? I can barely understand why Microsoft hasn't leveraged this franchise for their mobile OS yet, outside of helper apps.

Something like Halo Wars would be cool, too.

Porting Halo CE and Halo 2 over to the Windows 8 store would be pretty nice. A man can dream though I guess.

Don't know why I am still so burnt on the shitty Halo 2 port, just makes me angry every time I think about it and the potential it had.

FyreWulff

Porting Halo CE and Halo 2 over to the Windows 8 store would be pretty nice. A man can dream though I guess.

Don't know why I am still so burnt on the shitty Halo 2 port, just makes me angry every time I think about it and the potential it had.

I wish they'd even sell the thing via the Windows Marketplace. At least I could put in my CD key and redownload the game after my disc got cracked :/

wwm0nkey

You own the license, who cares how you get the actual game files? (hint hint)

Still the point is he should NOT have to go through that, Microsoft dropped the ball and dropped it hard when it came to Halo on the PC, its a pretty big market and honestly I think they are a bit stupid for not releasing a PC port 6 or so months after the release of the 360 version of Halo games. Its still a Microsoft exclusive, it will still sell consoles but some people really wont play it unless its on the PC and I think a 6 month wait is totally acceptable as long as its not a straight port with shitty KB+M controls and no custom resolution, oh also maybe proper modding tools and MM support!

Dreams are nice though.....

Computron

Still the point is he should NOT have to go through that, Microsoft dropped the ball and dropped it hard when it came to Halo on the PC, its a pretty big market and honestly I think they are a bit stupid for not releasing a PC port 6 or so months after the release of the 360 version of Halo games. Its still a Microsoft exclusive, it will still sell consoles but some people really wont play it unless its on the PC and I think a 6 month wait is totally acceptable as long as its not a straight port with shitty KB+M controls and no custom resolution, oh also maybe proper modding tools and MM support!

No, I understand.

He missed out on the last gameday for this reason. (IIRC)

Anyway, I think I might want to host another Halo 2 Vista gameday sometime soon.

orznge

Banned

"let's release the Halo PC source code" - a thing no one at Microsoft, Bungie, 343, or Gearbox has ever said or thought or would humor

wwm0nkey

No, I understand.

He missed out on the last gameday for this reason. (I think)

I think I might want to host another Halo 2 Vista gameday.

I am up for it, finally fixed the Windows 8 problems I was having again.

Still though I REALLY do not understand why Microsoft wont do a 6 month cycle for Halo game, they are missing out on a pretty massive market but going "lol exclusive" even though 6 months of exclusivity is all you really need to sell your hardware.

Computron

I don't imagine any of their legal departments would like anything to do with open source licensing, especially when there would be no financial gain but a lot of risk and work involved.

I am up for it, finally fixed the Windows 8 problems I was having again.

Still though I REALLY do not understand why Microsoft wont do a 6 month cycle for Halo game, they are missing out on a pretty massive market but going "lol exclusive" even though 6 months of exclusivity is all you really need to sell your hardware.

I would double dip.

TheOddOne

I think they just want to drive home that Halo is a console exclusive. It is their Mario. If you want to play it, buy their hardware. Seems pretty simple.

I think they just want to drive home that Halo is a console exclusive. It is their Mario. If you want to play it, buy their hardware. Seems pretty simple.

Except Nintendo doesn't also make the market dominant OS on PCs. It's honestly a sake of why the hell not?
It's akin to how crazy I find it that Nintendo doesn't license/port their IP to iOS/Android. It would be perfect on there, and could potentially bring in tens if not hundreds of millions to the Wii U and their other properties. The only reason they don't is that they're mad people want to play on their phone instead of their 3DS these days.

wwm0nkey

I think if they wanted to do that they should never have released it on PC in the first place. When they did that they opened the flood gates of PC fans bitching when they decided "console only forever!"

Again I think a perfect set up would be

-Release game/limited edition hardware
-Release DLC for first 4-6 months
-Release PC complete edition 6-8 months after release
-Repeat for next game.

A lot of people wont wait for 6 to 8 months for a PC port so they will buy the hardware and the people that will wait would probably have never bought the hardware in the first place.

Yeah buddy. If you did miss it, I have been making tiles like that for Halo campaign levels.

So I stole the egghead one without your permission and used my incredible Paint skills to superimpose a crop of my twitter profile picture. I can't decide whether it's just creepy or awesome enough for a new avatar. What do you think?

TheOddOne

Except Nintendo doesn't also make the market dominant OS on PCs. It's honestly a sake of why the hell not?
They will be dominant regardless if they release a port six months in. It is all about image, Halo is what made the Xbox and now that we are at the verge of new generation; they will want to emphasize that the Xbox is the only console where you can play Halo. Furthermore, for years they were criticized for not having true exclusives; they were mocked even within the industry. They have tried to avoid this stigma for a while now. See that there are no Halo releases on the PC after Halo 2.

You know high selling console exclusives have a reason to stay exclusive, they drive hardware sales and give a certain image to the console. What people really should be clamoring is releasing low selling console exclusive to the PC. Heck, the most niche titles get decent sales on the PC.

I’m not debating that it should not release on the PC, but I can totally see why they are not doing it.

FyreWulff

Oh my God.

We have to do this.

Yeah, I'm finally wrapping my head around what they did with the spawn system this time around, but buddyspawning has an absurd weight to it now. A example of how it can be a negative: we were testing Computron's map in a custom. People instantly respawning inside the base would buddy weight their instantly spawning teammates to the inside the base, creating a self-made circle of spawncamping. So you can be negatively spawned somewhere because one person keeps mashing X.

I'm actually surprised they're not rotating FFA Playlists. That would make more sense. The lists are just going to cannibalize each other.

This would be a great idea, but the fact they have tied commendations to regicide means that it will probably remain a permanent playlist sadly :(

Having such specific commendations seems like a silly way to back yourself in a corner. Rotating the FFA playlists would have been interesting. Pretty salty that FFA slayer is nowhere to be found, objective FFA and party game FFA is not as fun for me.

Top Bottom