• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Vire

I think I'm about to give up on Spartan Ops.

Every Monday I tell myself surely this will be the week with brand new environments.

Nope same recycled shit with push that button objectives. I seriously think this is the fourth time they have you run through Sniper Alley (3 times in Spartan Ops, 1 in Campaign). I would have much preferred 20 unique missions to these lazy 50. Also, Palmer continues to grate on my nerves with terrible dialogue ("Eggheads!")

Oh well, can't win em' all.

Shadders

I think I'm about to give up on Spartan Ops.

Every Monday I tell myself surely this will be the week with brand new environments.

Nope same recycled shit with push that button objectives. I seriously think this is the fourth time they have you run through Sniper Alley (3 times in Spartan Ops, 1 in Campaign). I would have much preferred 20 unique missions to these lazy 50. Also, Palmer continues to grate on my nerves with terrible dialogue ("Eggheads!")

Oh well, can't win em' all.

I'm pretty sure we'll get new environment on week 6, seeing as how that's when the new maps come out..

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Lazy? Eh. I hate when people use that term for things like this. It makes me think they think the developer was just sitting around doing nothing.
I'd like a few more new environments too, but the episode design certainly isn't "lazy."

Not sure what else people wanted objective wise too. Oh well, I'll keep enjoying them. :p

"You need to know the truth about a great many things"

what

What's wrong with that sentence? It's worded fine.

kylej

Banned
going from Walking Dead episodic content to Spartan Ops episodic content is like going from admiring the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel to looking at skid marks in a toilet in Taco Bell

IHaveIce

Banned
<oh no promethean knights are back in the missions this week :/ I hate them in SpOps.. A bunch of them on legendary and everyone of them has a oneshot weapon and they can teleport their selves.

Fun! ...

I wonder how many would bitch about instant spawns being removed.

I don't mind instant respawns in Slayer...sometimes you can finish off your own kill after dying, which is dumb, but it's rare enough.

However, instant respawn in Oddball makes no fucking sense to me whatsoever.

With the Far Cry 3 editor you can create your own environments and put enemies and friendlies on it.
Far Cry 3 editor > Spartan Ops
I've been keeping relatively dark on it, but you can make your own SP encounters with it? If the mechanics and AI hold up that's going to be worth dicking around with.

Rev3rb

I am all for criticizing, but ya'll really reaching today.

images

Conor 419

Banned
With the Far Cry 3 editor you can create your own environments and put enemies and friendlies on it.

I know, on the FPS quality front Halo is no longer top dog any more, and it's sad.

"If we lose our way with Halo, we lose our way with Xbox".

Next gen is ticking, Microsoft.

OverHeat

« generous god »
going from Walking Dead episodic content to Spartan Ops episodic content is like going from admiring the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel to looking at skid marks in a toilet in Taco Bell
You get what you paid for....oh wait it's free :s

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

This is a stupid thing to say.

This also makes no sense.

Being said, I am still looking forward to Far Cry as well.

You get what you paid for....oh wait it's free :s
Tell that to Firefight.

Saying it's free is a terrible argument.

Telltale's the Walking Dead is the ugliest Sistine Chapel in any bizarro Universe I know of, and I like the game.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spartan Ops is a let down, because not only does it fix/learn from the mistakes made in Campaign, it makes new ones on top of that.
I have no problem with the reused levels either.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Tell that to Firefight.

Saying it's free is a terrible argument.

Telltale's the Walking Dead is the ugliest Sistine Chapel in any bizarro Universe I know of, and I like the game.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spartan Ops is a let down, because not only does it fix/learn from the mistakes made in Campaign, it makes new ones on top of that.
Beside the scoring spartan ops is basically firefight with a story. You can argue all you want if its better or not but at least 343 decided to put a twist on something old I was not expecting campaign quality level from spartan ops think of the budget and bandwidth it would take to make it happen. If it was payed DLC I would be piss but for free I'm not complaining.

Tunavi

Banned
I do not have enough time to play spartan ops. Whenever I have the time, I just play a few games of MP.

Maybe over winter break.

So glad I have a 3DS
man assists are fucking annoying in this game... its so much fun putting 4 or 5 shots into someone and some asshole using one bullet and getting my kill.
thats what an assist is. I don't see what the problem is. You didn't kill anyone.

man assists are fucking annoying in this game... its so much fun putting 4 or 5 shots into someone and some asshole using one bullet and getting my kill.

Would you rather assists be picky as fuck like Reach? Assists are something that they got right in Halo 4.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You know what's annoying about assists? That white text, yes I know everyone says it doesn't bother them. I can't help but notice it all the time, whether it's an assist, a sticky or a comeback kill.

SpudBud

Truly an astute comparison. I mean, it's not like they are different types of games, with different goals when it comes to episodic content.

But really do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

IHaveIce

Banned
You know what's annoying about assists? That white text, yes I know everyone says it doesn't bother them. I can't help but notice it all the time, whether it's an assist, a sticky or a comeback kill.

Yep same here, it is cleary visible for me.. it was said it wouldn't be.

they didn't bother me in reach.... :/
so people finishing your kills bother you? How is your sitiuation you discribed different in the other games

Tawpgun

This is a stupid thing to say.

It's dressed in Kyle humor, but its a valid point that I think many people here share. The story elements in SpOps, especially within the missions themselves have a long way to go. So far it's just been like making campaign encounters their own thing.

It's not as good as firefight, its not as good as campaign. They melded the two and the product is of lower quality than its reactants.

Firefight at least gave a frantic, survival feeling. A challenge as well. This just feels pointless.

Beside the scoring spartan ops is basically firefight with a story. You can argue all you want if its better or not but at least 343 decided to put a twist on something old I was not expecting campaign quality level from spartan ops think of the budget and bandwidth it would take to make it happen. If it was payed DLC I would be piss but for free I'm not complaining.

It is NOTHING like firefight. Even Reach firefight with infinite lives seemed more fun. The main problem is that they REMOVED firefight. That itch was lightly caressed in the 2nd Ragnarok mission, but it didn't feel nearly as awesome as actual firefight.

I would argue that it's far less like Firefight and more like campaign at this point. There's no sense of survival at all (more importantly, no OPTION to have this), no indication of how/what you're doing with a full party, no sense of competition like Firefight always had. Especially when you consider that Halo 4 is all about giving you points for doing the most basic thing in-game, the lack of scoring in Spartan Ops is even more depressing.

I desperately want SpOps to gain these features to make them more replayable outside of their weekly placement in matchmaking, but in that respect the mode has fallen flat.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I would argue that it's far less like Firefight and more like campaign at this point. There's no sense of survival at all (more importantly, no OPTION to have this), no indication of how/what you're doing with a full party, no sense of competition like Firefight always had. Especially when you consider that Halo 4 is all about giving you points for doing the most basic thing in-game, the lack of scoring in Spartan Ops is even more depressing.

I desperately want SpOps to gain these features to make them more replayable outside of their weekly placement in matchmaking, but in that respect the mode has fallen flat.
Competition??? When 90% it's the host who had the best score and most kill?

neoism

Yep same here, it is cleary visible for me.. it was said it wouldn't be.

so people finishing your kills bother you? How is your sitiuation you discribed different in the other games

i just fill more cheated out of kills in halo 4....i just dont like the game so back to Reach I go....

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's dressed in Kyle humor, but its a valid point that I think many people here share. The story elements in SpOps, especially within the missions themselves have a long way to go. So far it's just been like making campaign encounters their own thing.

It's not as good as firefight, its not as good as campaign. They melded the two and the product is of lower quality than its reactants.

Firefight at least gave a frantic, survival feeling. A challenge as well. This just feels pointless.

I'd say this is opinion, although I agree that it's tough to compare to Firefight as it's different. Campaign is better for sure, but I am having more fun with Spartan Ops than I ever did in Firefight. The objectives are simple, yes, but having them adds a ton to the experience. Also the story wrappers they added keep getting better than better as you progress. The second mission on Valhalla was fantastic gameplay-wise too. It was very similar to a Firefight mission (maybe that's why?).

I do think they could have kept Firefight though. maybe let you use any Spartan Ops map for it. From what I've deduced though, it seems to be another time constraint issue. It seems like the stuff people wanted that ended up being cut were done so to finish the game. The whole building a studio while making a huge AAA game seems to have crunched 343 quite a bit. Which is why I think we will see the return of a lot of features in Halo 5. I can pretty confidently say that there is no way they would have shipped Halo 4 if they added absolutely every mode everyone wanted and made SpOps like Walking Dead (however asinine that base comment is).

Sucky? Yes. But I don't think a lot of the cuts were just done to piss everyone off. IMO though, Spartan Ops is having a great build up through season one, so I hope they blow the doors open (story-wise and mission-wise) in season two.

Which problems from the campaign? Gameplay encounters are a lot better than Campaign. I am having fun and I run through missions solo. Yes. They are way too many enemies to handle the most of times. Still I think they gave me the right equipment to survive.

Gazzawa

there comes a time in SpOps when you run out of ammo. "Fuck it I'll just die and get more"
I cant think of any other game where I would have/want to do this.
Mode sux yo

Tawpgun

Which problems from the campaign? Gameplay encounters are a lot better than Campaign. I am having fun and I run through missions solo. Yes. They are way too many enemies to handle the most of times. Still I think they gave me the right equipment to survive.

You have infinite ammo in Spartan Ops! Just commit suicide!

there comes a time in SpOps when you run out of ammo. "Fuck it I'll just die and get more"
I cant think of any other game where I would have/want to do this.
Mode sux yo
I haven't touched SpOps since the second chapter in episode 2 since it had gotten really boring but on top of the encounters up until then being monotonous, this really killed it. There's no penalty for anything, so just bang your head at it until it's done. Makes for a completely no consequence fluffy game mode. Also Reach-style infinite ammo caches for loadout weapons around every bend.

rakka

i just fill more cheated out of kills in halo 4....i just dont like the game so back to Reach I go....
with the AR being much more powerful there's many instances where I'm putting dead accurate shots into an enemy and then shitty teammates running around spraying with AR and getting the kill instead of me. not a huge deal but yeah, slightly more kills stolen than in reach it feels like. on top of that, good connection hardly seems like a priority in the matchmaking system so that too probably has a part in it. what's the point of matching me up with so called similarly skilled players when half my fucking shots don't register quick enough because they're on the other side of the world.

Competition??? When 90% it's the host who had the best score and most kill?
You could associate that point to any aspect of the online portion of the game, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to argue that. I will say that I've experienced far more lag and framerate issues in Spartan Ops than I ever did in Firefight.

SpudBud

Most episodes have crates that refill ammo. They look like rectangular ammo crates, they tend to be placed near the UNSC weapon caches.

rakka

You could associate that point to any aspect of the online portion of the game, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to argue that. I will say that I've experienced far more lag and framerate issues in Spartan Ops than I ever did in Firefight.
even playing local splitscreen spops runs like dogshit.

apples and oranges perhaps but IMO firefight was a more enjoyable experience in general

Gazzawa

Also Reach-style infinite ammo caches for loadout weapons around every bend.

useless if u are using promy/covvy loadouts i.e lightrifle and plasma pistola
i know how u feel dude. give ep 3 a bash tho.
doubt we will see a season 2
idea wass too ambitious.
should have been done as paid dlc

Top Bottom