• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

I find myself almost always choosing the power-up over the weapons. Even speed boost makes you more dangerous as you'll be much harder to hit in a DMR duel.

I am rubbish though, so this is probably terrible advice.
I always go for the weapons because of the commendations.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
going from Walking Dead episodic content to Spartan Ops episodic content is like going from admiring the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel to looking at skid marks in a toilet in Taco Bell
hire kyle
as poet laureate

Ramirez

I love TWD games, but my god, they're completely devoid of gameplay, with no extras, and SPOPS is one of many modes in a massive game. This place makes no sense...

Merguson

Banned
With the Far Cry 3 editor you can create your own environments and put enemies and friendlies on it.
Far Cry 3 editor > Spartan Ops

Too bad you can't share those maps with anyone (for people to play on their own or co-op) which defeats the point IMO.

Far Cry multiplayer is a joke to me so there's zero interest in the map editor for me.. unless I could download SP maps and play through them.. but that I can't do that.. huge missed opportunity.. but it's cool they have that option there I guess..

EDIT: You can't also share MP maps with vehicles in them... which is bizarre..

rakka

usually I select a weapon but if
damage boost pops up I'll choose it 99% of the time. insanely effective with DMR or hell I'll even pick up an AR if I come across one. feels cheap :/

Tunavi

Banned
kHmoQ.jpg

From Reddit.

lmao

kylej

Banned
um Spartan Ops is part of the game you paid $60 or $100 for, you need a $60 a year Gold subscription to play it, and all future content will be paid DLC. in what way is it "free" lol

OverHeat

« generous god »
um Spartan Ops is part of the game you paid $60 or $100 for, you need a $60 a year Gold subscription to play it, and all future content will be paid DLC. in what way is it "free" lol
You got a lot more content then a lot of other game provide for the same price....then for the part that I bolded, If you buy it after playing the first season and hated it...better not complain that it's not your cup of tea.

He's always been a Reach advocate if it makes it easier to understand.

No, it doesn't. In fact, it might be harder.

You could use the two week gold subscription the game comes with and wait until Spartan Ops is all out and get the entire 10 episode series without ever paying for gold. You can at least get 2 of the episodes.

This is GAF. Anything other than a short campaign and limited multiplayer is "free" because the developers didn't have to include it.

Redford

aka Cabbie
You got a lot more content then a lot of other game provide for the same price....then for the part that I bolded, If you buy it after playing the first season and hated it...better not complain that it's not your cup of tea.

Ever since this mode was announced people keep saying this thing about "lots of content," like some kind of commodity, but I honestly think they'd be arguing on the principle of it alone and not what this content actually amounts to.

It's bugged me reading H4 threads on gaming side from people who know how the industry works and can empathize with how shitty the DLC standards are lately and see the face value of SpOps as a great thing, but are nonetheless ignorant about what should be expected from a mode like this in a Halo game.

How many dev do that.

Who cares? If it were Bungie doing all of this, I'd have a bit more good faith but I am wary of making a wholly owned MS studio into some kind of saint in the industry based on their first game.

I hope we don't start using Nintendo-tier apologetics.

You could use the two week gold subscription the game comes with and wait until Spartan Ops is all out and get the entire 10 episode series without ever paying for gold. You can at least get 2 of the episodes.

It is not free.

I'm actually pretty sure all 10 episodes are on the disc seeing as how we don't have a download each week. So in actuality it is content that you paid for that you are only able to access for two weeks according to your 2 week free trial definition of free. If you pay for XBL for Spops then you are actually being charged to be able to use something you already own.

Still not free.

I'm not saying that. but they provide content after release for nothing at the moment. How many dev do that.

They probably have already made it. Or have a good amount of the episodes done or almost finished, even during the production of the game. I imagine DLC is a way to save them disc space for other stuff. They also probably used Spec..Spartan Ops mode time that could have went into completing the other modes since we know this game is only 80% done, most of the shit has problems that need day 1 addressing but here we are four weeks in? Anyways, I highly doubt they are grinding their gears to think of sub-par quasi somewhere in between campaign and MM missions where you go from one point to the next and do a random task.

Hell I could create 100 "missions" in about three hours.

Spartan Ops is nothing but Spec Ops in Halo. CoD had the same thing you went from one place to the next with little mini tasks.

They literally stole a mode from another game and put a skin over it. That actually happened and noone is saying anything or complaining about how uninspired and soulless it is.

But whatever, I'm sure Spartan Ops will be crazy good and keep the population coming back.

Cue the population graph in a downward slope.

I'm not saying that. but they provide content after release for nothing at the moment. How many dev do that.
Considering the achievement requirement for up to Episode 5 of SpOps, it's not really free, it's just the content you paid for being released afterwards.

That said, the cutscenes for the episodes are more entertaining than the chapters themselves. It's a really empty mode where you remove all danger and the fun as a result.

This is an interesting point; what happens when your trial runs out, does it go back to being locked content? When the first season is over with, will we be able to keep them all locally? At least with multiplayer, you still have access to the maps and can play on them locally. If Gold is the ONLY way to be able to play the missions, it's a really, really bad decision.

You could also easily argue that it is provided at the expense of a more complete SP and MP experience.
It's an easy argument, sure. Not an intelligent one.

If that's how you feel stop supporting 343 and MS with your hard earned money...that's the only thing that can really make a statement.

I never said that I did not want SPOPS. But to make the argument that it is great because other devs don't provide such content is foolish.

They probably have already made it. Or have a good amount of the episodes done or almost finished, even during the production of the game. I imagine DLC is a way to save them disc space for other stuff. They also probably used Spec..Spartan Ops mode time that could have went into completing the other modes since we know this game is only 80% done, most of the shit has problems that need day 1 addressing but here we are four weeks in? Anyways, I highly doubt they are grinding their gears to think of sub-par quasi somewhere in between campaign and MM missions where you go from one point to the next and do a random task.

Hell I could create 100 "missions" in about three hours.

Spartan Ops is nothing but Spec Ops in Halo. CoD had the same thing you went from one place to the next with little mini tasks.

They literally stole a mode from another game and put a skin over it. That actually happened and noone is saying anything or complaining about how uninspired and soulless it is.

But whatever, I'm sure Spartan Ops will be crazy good and keep the population coming back.

Spec Ops was actually pretty consistently better than Spartan Ops. Apart from the standard firefight stuff, there were stealth missions, assault missions and a few crazy challenges for two players, such as the gunship one where one was in an AC-130 and the other on foot.
Plus, if you died you had to restart. Fuck the respawn system of Spartan Ops.

BTW, anyone got a youtube link to the newest episode? My gold ran out and I'm not really itching to buy a new subscription.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's more like holding off content until 10 weeks after launch since it's on disc (so far) anyway with the sole purpose of stopping people who don't play multiplayer from returning the game after they've completed the campaign.
But call it whatever you want.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

To be fair they added story context to it with the awesome CG cutscenes and in-mission blurbs. Also CoD did not invent that, they basically stole horde/firefight and added mission objectives.

Also, Spartan Ops is good. Just needs some adjustments as the series goes forward. (It's not free though, not arguing for that). I'm having MUCH more fun with Spartan Ops than I ever did with Spec Ops or Horde. To each their own.

Spec Ops was actually pretty consistently better than Spartan Ops. Apart from the standard firefight stuff, there were stealth missions, assault missions and a few crazy challenges for two players, such as the gunship one where one was in an AC-130 and the other on foot.
Plus, if you died you had to restart. Fuck the respawn system of Spartan Ops.

BTW, anyone got a youtube link to the newest episode? My gold ran out and I'm not really itching to buy a new subscription.
You're the person to ask: can you still play the SpOps episodes you've already played, or are they locked for you?

OverHeat

« generous god »
I never said that I did not want SPOPS. But to make the argument that it is great because other devs don't provide such content is foolish.
Never said it was great but still it's a fun distraction, it's better then spec ops IMO since it's a mode I bearly touch in COD.

WHaaaaaaaaaaat.

Man. This thread.

This thread.

Time to go back to having fun and playing Halo 4.

Going back to playing a game where, even post TU, the AA's, gunplay, vehicles and assists are actually more broken than Halo 4 will ever be. "dat Halo feel"

Makes perfect sense.

tumblr_mdrn40eSQz1ryu3g1o1_250.gif

I wonder how the download process will work for episode 5 onwards - hopefully the file sizes are not too big.

I am somewhat enjoying spec ops - I think more mission variety and tighter narritive structure will help though.

In a way I wish the mode didn't have a story attached to it - would have been interesting if instead they where all simply vr missions that where allowed to be wacky and wonderful

neoism

No, it doesn't. In fact, it might be harder.

Doesn't really matter if you do or not bro what ever tinkles that fellows pickle.. I just played about 7 games of Reach a min ago and had more fun than I've had with Halo 4 in weeks... the first 4 or 5 days of 4 was fun but it doesn't have any longevity for me at all... Really don't understand why everyone here just continues to shit on Reach... Halo 4 is the most uninspired halo game ever released... I understand 343 is a new developer and its their first game but 90% of everyone on the team have years and years and experience, besides that kid thats the MP lead he's like 25 or something the MP is just frantic nonsense.. I just wish I wouldn't have made a 300 dollar mistake in buying a new system and 2 copies to just dislike it... The only thing halo 5 has going for it now is the graphics will look insane this time... I thought this game did from a 3rd person-view point but the hardware is just too old and they spent like 99% of the budget on lighting.... leaving the ground to look terrible and some of the worst textures I've ever seen... BTB is one of my favorite play lists in halo and it is just the opposite of fun for me in 4... KOTH is my most played list...But after like 3 or 4 games of halo 4 one of which is me getting put in a game with like 10 kills or less, just makes me what to quit right there...and Firefight not being their is just SAD... SPops is just not fun, mainly because Promethean are the most unfun enemies to fight ever... I hate brutes and they were better...The only reason I will play every once in a while is because in all the hype and excitement I got the map pack thing... so I will try those I guess. But I really hate that I hate the new game in probably my most played and loved series in games ever...It sucks..... This is why you have a beta instead of making us buy it and test it for them....

Fracas

#fuckonami
The game just got really boring; well for me at least.

Halo 2 had something magical when it comes to Halo XBL titles.

I feel the same. Barely touched it over Thanksgiving break (although that was mainly because my connection at home's really bad), and I don't really have any motivation to play it now in my dorm. I can have a good time when I play it, but it's just mindless fun.
It is also a massive investment of resources that could have gone elsewhere.

I get that the SpOps guys are a separate team and separate skillset, but yeah, I share the same sentiment.

Top Bottom