• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

zlatko

Banned
You should play real Blizzard games like StarCraft 2.

PC3wf.gif

Play the beta yet?

I just think the polish on a Blizzard game destroys H4. Fuck me besides the launch which I wasn't even really there for had to work the first couple days people all jumped on the servers, D3 has been rock solid for me. No glitches no bugs no crashes no weird partying issues. So I play a game that works with what minimal gaming time I have these days. Sue me. Also never played D2.

I play the SC campaigns those are fun. Well polished.

Also Daravon along time ago I had a huge writeup on the brilliance of Blizzard adding the Paragon. How they took two of the main issues people had 1. Nothing to do after hitting the lvl 60 Inferno wall cause they couldn't beat it with the gear and they couldnt upgrade gear cause drops were so bad and they couldnt grind for enough cash. 2nd problem: MF gear/cap/swapping. So they created Paragon 100 more levels, that gave you MF so MF would become less relevant and solved two problems by creating one thing. It was friggen brilliant.

Goddamn 343 could learn some stuff.

The first 30 days of Diablo 3 weren't a good experience.

Not first 30, maybe first 5.

zlatko

Banned
I just think the polish on a Blizzard game destroys H4. Fuck me besides the launch which I wasn't even really there for had to work the first couple days people all jumped on the servers, D3 has been rock solid for me. No glitches no bugs no crashes no weird partying issues. So I play a game that works with what minimal gaming time I have these days. Sue me. Also never played D2.

Before H4, D3 was my GOTY. Game is mad fun and worth every penny I spent on it. :)

u4iX

too old for laser tag? surely you jest.

Well, maybe when you've played Laser Tag for 4 hours straight and it's getting old.

Here's some free ideas:

Chase mission
-A super-fit Elite has a special package, you need to chase him down and kill him before he reaches a slip space thingy.

Stealth mission
-Don't kill things, sneak into a base undetected

Clue mission
-Search around a Covenant installment for key code clues that open a door, you actually have to find the clues, solve a puzzle, and enter them in the proper order to infiltrate the base

I never played D2, so I can't make that comparison :p. It's mostly the latest patch that's made the biggest difference, I don't know if you played after 1.05 came out, but if not I'd say it's at least worth checking out.
Makes all the difference in the world. Coming from D2 it's a considerable step down.

I'd give it another go with all the patching but it seems like my account's been hijacked to poopfuck according to all the e-mails I'm getting and I'll need to go through a lot of rigmarole to recover it that I just don't think I care to put the effort into.

woah wait. wtf.

I just hit 70, how the hell do I choose my next specialization? What the hell? I don't have anymore options so I can't continue to level up?

There's a lot of material out there about it. Basically what Jul's sect are referred to by.
Link me to it. The only source I know is the action figures. No Elites, Grunts or Jackals are called "Storm Elite Zealot" except the lowest ranks. And I do not know any fiction material by 343i which calls them Storm. But I could be wrong.

OverHeat

« generous god »

Also Daravon along time ago I had a huge writeup on the brilliance of Blizzard adding the Paragon. How they took two of the main issues people had 1. Nothing to do after hitting the lvl 60 Inferno wall cause they couldn't beat it with the gear and they couldnt upgrade gear cause drops were so bad and they couldnt grind for enough cash. 2nd problem: MF gear/cap/swapping. So they created Paragon 100 more levels, that gave you MF so MF would become less relevant and solved two problems by creating one thing. It was friggen brilliant.

I agree on the polish this is the biggest difference between the bungie and 343 titles IMO

MrDaravon

woah wait. wtf.

I just hit 70, how the hell do I choose my next specialization? What the hell? I don't have anymore options so I can't continue to level up?

Nope. Apparently everyone who played online before the 20th will get an email with a code by the 30th that lets you unlock the other Customizations. This is a good question actually - for people in this situation, do we know if once you get access to the other Specializations it'll give you credit for the XP you earned in the interim? I'm guessing probably not. At least when the removed the rank cap(s?) in Reach you did get credit for what you got in the meantime, but having to choose between different Specialization options may mess that up here.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
heh. Just for kicks really. I think Ghaleon has a point here. Without the long range weapons, encounters would take place at closer ranges allowing for more grenade/melee action and less across-the-map pinging.

Didn't we already fucking try that with Halo 2+Coag+smg starts?

Precision weapons are what make Halo, deal with it.

Enfinit

Who said that? Why is that the name of that fraction? 343i never stated that. Or at least I haven't seen any official word that the fraction is called Storm.

The words "Storm Covenant" haven't been explicitly stated in Halo 4. However, based on subtle hints throughout the campaign (i.e. Cortana to Chief in mission one "...or maybe we've come across an entire rogue fleet!"), as well as the novels (mainly The Thursday War - which revolves around the Storm Covenant and leads in Halo 4 ), it becomes clear that this is the Storm faction, although the word "Storm" was never mentioned in the campaign.

If I remember correctly, the Storm Covenant discovered Requiem around 2554, and they've had a stand on the planet ever since (according to Spartan Ops). Again, while the phrase "Storm Covenant" hasn't been mentioned in the game, there is enough evidence between the campaign, Spartan Ops, and especially The Thursday War, to conclude these are the Storm Covenant on Requiem, hence why we have the "STORM" rifle and physical variations in appearances. It's pretty obvious. A little reading and some Google searching will give you enough evidence in five minutes.

My guess is 343i's never specifically mentioned the Storm Covenant, other than The Thursday War, is because it'll be revealed (and a major plot point) in Halo 5.

I wouldn't even mind the re-use as much if the story and objectives gave better reasons for revisiting these places.

Gotta admit I am looking forward to seeing some more of the multiplayer maps in SpOps too. But I'll definitely take some new environments and objectives.

Precision weapons are what make Halo, deal with it.
I thought personal ordnance and JIP is what makes Halo. Is there a definitive list anywhere? This is getting confusing.

zlatko

Banned
Hmmmmmmm. I might.

How are you liking it?

Have still not gotten to touch it even though I have the beta. With finals, thanksgiving break, work, and a g/f it's hard to find time for anything game related. Writing a final paper for a class tonight though, and hoping to hop on and play a few games just to experience the new UI and units.

I play Zerg, but want to switch to either Terran or Toss for HOTS. The unranked ladders are my favorite change so now I can learn either race without sacrificing my win/loss and league as Zerg.

"Miller, light up the top few floors for Crimson Cyren"

"Doing that now Commander"

"OH SHUTUP MILLER I'M TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT YOUR SCIENCE GODDAMMIT YOU LITTLE SHIT"
My buddy fucking hates Miller and holds him personally responsible for dropping our ordnance directly on the enemy lines. Hah.

It only makes sense if you watch the videos that are exclusive to the Waypoint Android app that were announced via decoding secret symbols from the ARG campaign that 343 launched on Grifball Hub last week.

Lol that is terrible, are those videos online? How would I go about catching up?

When people who are really into Halo cant keep up with the fiction because random videos are posted on Grifballhub something is being done wrong.

Lol that is terrible, are those videos online? How would I go about catching up?

When people who are really into Halo cant keep up with the fiction because random videos are posted on Grifballhub something is being done wrong.

It's sad that you've been pushed so far that you believed that man's lies. I can't blame you.

Not first 30, maybe first 5.

It's called not-having-a-deadline. StarCraft 2 came out when it was done. Halo 4 came out on Nov. 6th.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I wouldn't even mind the re-use as much if the story and objectives gave better reasons for revisiting these places.

Gotta admit I am looking forward to seeing some more of the multiplayer maps in SpOps too. But I'll definitely take some new environments and objectives.

I thought personal ordnance and JIP is what makes Halo. Is there a definitive list anywhere? This is getting confusing.

It's located in the general consensus of everybody with common sense.

If you take out precision weapons as a starting choice, you make them into power weapons, as has been shown since the dawn of Halo when anyone with a pistol would destroy people on plasma pistol start gametypes.

In 4, it would make the DMR even stronger than the Sniper.

Well, maybe when you've played Laser Tag for 4 hours straight and it's getting old.

Here's some free ideas:

Chase mission
-A super-fit Elite has a special package, you need to chase him down and kill him before he reaches a slip space thingy.

Stealth mission
-Don't kill things, sneak into a base undetected

Clue mission
-Search around a Covenant installment for key code clues that open a door, you actually have to find the clues, solve a puzzle, and enter them in the proper order to infiltrate the base

None of those fit the sandbox of Halo. You'd play them all the same way.

There are certainly ways to change up the formula, but those aren't good ideas.

zlatko

Banned
You'd be surprised at how well it plays, actually.

Hm I would think a lot better than Reach simply thanks to Sprint available all the time for some of those longer trudges. Plus with nerfed nades it isn't such a cluster fuck in certain hot spots. Oh and if it's uncaged variant when the map got updated then it has more options to not get spawn camped.

All around I'd be willing to give the map another chance if it was added into H4 map cycle.

Really would just like to see The Pit though.

Though I understand the need to re-use levels in spartan ops, they need more objectives than "Kill these things Crimson" "Hold this position Crimson" and "Press 50 buttons Crimson".

There is no creativity and its boring as hell. Effort that was spent on spartan ops should have been spent elsewhere.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
None of those fit the sandbox of Halo. You'd play them all the same way.

There are certainly ways to change up the formula, but those aren't good ideas.

What the hell are you smoking? They would perfectly fit into Halo's sandbox.

A stealth optional mission would force players to try to stealth it beginning to end, but having the alternative route of blasting their way through reinforcements. There would be some re-playability here two, at once per style, stealth and non-stealth.

A chase mission would be interesting. Do you jump in the hog and make a bee line for the character? That way the character knows your coming so he makes a beeline for his target. Makes it a straight up race. Or, how about letting the target get a little ahead of you as you mop up all the hostile forces. The target proceeds at a more leisurely pace instead, giving you a chance to catch him on foot or maybe even nab an enemy vehicle or two and catch him unaware?

The last once, maybe it would play out the same each time, but hell every damm mission in Spops right now has you seeming press buttons for no real reason any. At least being forced to push buttons in a certain order is changing it up a little. ;P

sp3000

Oh so very close to the breaking point on this game. Every single goddamn fucking match of BTB turns into 12 people voting for Ragnarok (what the fuck?), everyone hanging back until one team loses their Mantis, then the team with the momentum takes the hill and has 5 guys hang out on the hill and on top of the Pelican and dongs on the other team for the whole match. Then the 5% of the time you're not playing on Ragnarok you're on Exile, where after nearly 3 weeks the Scorpion and Gauss Hog still exist, defying all reason. So in a similar fashion, one team will get one (or both) of those and just run a goddamn train on the other team.

Then if I play any of the smaller playlists it's nothing but people camo crouching and 1-shotting you with Boltshots. I'm actually way better at this game then previous Halos, so it's not like I'm upset because I'm getting donged on, it's just all so incredibly fucking stupid. They seemingly just took what they wanted from other games and made changes, but didn't actually balance anything around how Halo and it's existing weapons and maps worked. Even when I'm with a full group of friends and wrecking people, it's just not that fun. And that's when you can actually play and you're not getting split into separate teams (or even put into other games, which is a frequent issue two of my friend keep specifically having), joining games literally 2 seconds before they end (which they said wouldn't happen), matchmaking doesn't get aborted, and you haven't lost all of your loadouts and/or Spartan Points.

We're basically playing now to fill bars, which makes me realize that it's more or less any other shooter now; there's nothing "special" about Halo anymore :/

I still cannot fathom why Ragnarok is always picked. It's a map that doesn't even fit with Halo 4's idiotic mechanics.

I get that people want Blood Gulch to come back, but it has not been a good map since the first Halo, where it only worked because of how refined that game's mechanics were.

$500 million.

Button pushing requires millions in funding

A stealth optional mission would force players to try to stealth it beginning to end, but having the alternative route of blasting their way through reinforcements. There would be some re-playability here two, at once per style, stealth and non-stealth.
Can the Halo AI even work with stealth? Maybe if you had elites spaced far apart from each other and sleeping grunts. I'd like to have optional stealth if possible.

Take the Ghost Recon Future Soldier formula for their Guerrilla mode - players attack an enemy base (stealth preferred but not mandatory) and then hold the base for 9 waves and a boss wave. Then the players do the same at the next base. This could work even better with Halo + dominion-like base upgrades. *If* you could take the base by stealth you could avoid some initial reinforcements maybe.

Top Bottom