• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

FyreWulff

Why stop at Spartan Ops then? I've been betrayed in CTF a few times... will they get banned too? Just seems trivial to me. If someone betrays you, just deal with it, IMO.

If someone does it habitually enough, yes. Though in normal matchmaking, they'll be impacted by the quit ban system kicking in from them being booted out of games before anything permanent would take effect.

Homeboyd

Why stop at Spartan Ops then? I've been betrayed in CTF a few times... will they get banned too? Just seems trivial to me. If someone betrays you, just deal with it, IMO.
Patterns. It's one thing to betray a couple of times. 60+ times in one match and likely a trail of many games like that...? Different story. That kind of behavior isn't allowing others to even attempt to enjoy the game. Killing a couple teammates here and there will always be ignored. Do it many times across many games and you'll get picked up as well. Or, you could just go gloat about it on the developer's forum and see how long it takes. His other posts in the thread only shed more light on what a great guy he is.

MinkTANK

Banned
You're a dude yes? Then you haven't seen the horrors I have in the ladies bathroom.
Not two days ago, at my local drinkery, I saw a shit on the floor, to the left of the toilet.

Not a single log either, a complete sausage orgy. It looked like a bunch of brown slugs got confused and started climbing on one another.

Confusing, to say the least.

Long story short, I ate it.

rakka

Try killing the King? :lol
um, I'm saying that in the case i am the king for most of the match, unless I lose the lead, every time an enemy kills me, it's 35 points for them, whereas I get 10 for each of my kills.

I don't care if a waypoint is put over my head, hey, more kills come to me, but for me to have to kill 3x as many players as everyone else to hold the lead for the whole match is flawed

Ramirez said:
Regicide sucks as a competitive game type, quit playing it if that's what you're looking for Rakka, simple really.
well, it's not as bad as infinity slayer and btb with personal ordnance, snipers is not there at the moment, slayer pro is decent but no one plays it, I'd play swat but I get laggier games than I ever did in reach (what's up with that anyway? all true skill and no consideration for a decent connection? what's the point of playing someone of similar skill when my shots don't register properly because they're on the other side of the world !), what else is there to play slayer wise then?

Not two days ago, at my local drinkery, I saw a shit on the floor, to the left of the toilet.

Not a single log either, a complete sausage orgy. It looked like a bunch of brown slugs got confused and started climbing on one another.

Confusing, to say the least.

Long story short, I ate it.

Shit on the floor?

Don't read this spoiler if you know you don't want to puke.

Try a heaping pile of used tampons/pads that haven't been properly disposed of.

Guys guys guys, let's have the same conversation for the 11th time.

Who are you?

Ramirez

well, it's not as bad as infinity slayer and btb with personal ordnance, snipers is not there at the moment, slayer pro is decent but no one plays it, I'd play swat but I get laggier games than I ever did in reach (what's up with that anyway? all true skill and no consideration for a decent connection? what's the point of playing someone of similar skill when my shots don't register properly because they're on the other side of the world !), what else is there to play slayer wise then?

Enough people play it that you could get a game in it...this is like Overdoziz saying MLG Reach was great, but yet he never played it.

Speaking of bathroom etiquette, when I went to a Mettallica concert a few years ago, went in the bathroom to piss, and had to stand in line. I finally get up to the door, guy opens it and proclaims "don't touch the handle dude!", someone had smeared shit all over the handle. Why are people animals in public restrooms? I don't get it, maybe they treat their own bathroom the same, I dunno.

MinkTANK

Banned
I think it's safe to say that whenever an FFA mode is focused on pre-release, it will be dildos.

Halo 5 to introduce an 8 player FFA CTF mode called "It's fun, honest".

EDIT:
Shit on the floor?

Don't read this spoiler if you know you don't want to puke.

Try a heaping pile of used tampons/pads that haven't been properly disposed of.

I'll never be able to listen to Pearl Jam's "Even Flow" in the same way ever again.

Redford

aka Cabbie
FFA kept me going through the darkest days of Reach and it's shitty trueskill. Even playing hundreds of games on Swordbase was alright as long as I won. Putting the sniper back in was the best thing they ever did, and the pipe was a trusty tool. I miss a good FFA slayer list.

Ffs, I'm reminiscing about Swordbase.

Oh well, time to try out Throwback.

um, I'm saying that in the case i am the king for most of the match, unless I lose the lead, every time an enemy kills me, it's 35 points for them, whereas I get 10 for each of my kills.

I don't care if a waypoint is put over my head, hey, more kills come to me, but for me to have to kill 3x as many players as everyone else to hold the lead for the whole match is flawed

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. This has been talked about to death. It's a "party" gametype, like something obnoxious Nintendo would put out. The winner isn't always the player who played the best.

Infinity Slayer has a similar quality, but I hardly think it's comparable. At the very least, the stats at the end reflect who won, even if they won on the back of some fortunate power weapons.

MinkTANK

Banned
So spawning people to splatter them has a direct correlation to putting used tampons on the floor?
78248947_nodding_gif.gif

Is there a bug with the monthly challenge, "To the Victor Go the Spoils?" Just got my last needed win and while I got the regular exp, there was no 17,343 exp as described in the challenge. In fact, it didn't say anything about completing the challenge in the post game stats at all. Neat...
For some baffling reason, challenges and commendations are not mentions in the post-game screen. You should get the XP for them, you just won't know why you are getting the XP.

In another baffling UI complaint, I tried to download those gametypes and maps that the pros played on today. I had to filter by map or gametype PRIOR to searching by gametype, so once I downloaded the maps, I had to go back 2 screens to select gametypes and then research with the guy's gamertag. WATWATWATWAT
At least you go to play the map. I just spent a few minutes and counted the number of times I've gotten to play in each map in BTB on my account.

Ragnarok - 31
Exile - 38
Meltdown - 5
Vortex - 11
Longbow - 14

How do you check this? My screen only displays the top five maps I've played on and then the rest are "other". Why does the stats pages intentionally not give you basic information?

-------------------------------

Sorry to pour on the salt, but Halo 4 unquestionably fucked these two things up (UI, Waypoint stats) to epic levels.

Overdoziz

Banned
Enough people play it that you could get a game in it...this is like Overdoziz saying MLG Reach was great, but yet he never played it.
YmKXZ.png

Shut yo mouth boi
That's without counting the hundreds of MLG custom games I've played. Would've played it more often but most people I played with didn't like MLG and the only playlists that I frequently played solo in were SWAT and Snipers.

Edit: I also noticed that they changed some of the pictures for playlists on waypoint for whatever reason. Why would you bother when you're just about to release Halo 4?

mhi

Its really does blow having to grind for stuff. Always liked that about Halo as opposed to COD. Even in COD, I stop playing for XP as soon as I get my preferred gun and perks. Fuck at this point I would even pay to unlock some of this shit, without having to grind for it.

As far paying for the Season Pass, I don't know why anyone would lock themselves like that. The last game I bought all the map packs for was Halo 2. Now I just pick and choose which ones I wanna get. And on this point, I wish they would let you buy maps in singles.

As far paying for the Season Pass, I don't know why anyone would lock themselves like that. The last game I bought all the map packs for was Halo 2. Now I just pick and choose which ones I wanna get. And on this point, I wish they would let you buy maps in singles.
Would be nice wouldn't it? But matchmaking would probably shit itself trying to mix and match people with DLC like that.

MinkTANK

Banned
Fuck at this point I would even pay to unlock some of this shit, without having to grind for it.
I'd pay up to 2400 msp just for the Mark V helmet as DLC, regardless of whether or not I ever play the game after purchasing it.

I feel naked without it.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Throwback just turns into slayer, morons driving around in ghosts on the other side of the map of the hill.

At least there's no instant spawn. Overall, C- playlist.

I feel like while throwing the oddball is cool, it really doesn't work very well. It makes the ball carrier way too mobile and makes for a moving set-up that can be almost impossible to break. You don't have to be positioned near an edge to play the ball, you don't have to be positioned near your teammates to be protected, and I just don't find it as fun as the old way. Probably not a popular opinion but there you go.

Also, 343, can you implement logic that says "If players are near a ball spawn point, don't spawn the ball there?" The ball would be played only for it to spawn in the exact same place the entire team was spawning way too often

FyreWulff

Also, 343, can you implement logic that says "If players are near a ball spawn point, don't spawn the ball there?" The ball would be played only for it to spawn in the exact same place the entire team was spawning way too often

In theory they can, there's an option in Reach's Race gametype for 'fair spawning' which I think attempts to spawn rally points away from everyone else.

Also Part 1 of my big Forge post over in ForgeOT.

I don't get what is so fascinating about Complex from a BK's point of view.

People still think the exploit is there probably

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Let's not forget killing off the competitive community's interest with no ranks. No ranks for them and there's no reason. You can win a million games but if you don't know what your competition is really like then what does the win really mean? The only reason people pad there K/D now is because W/L doesn't mean shit these days and there's nothing to shows that it matters. Especially with JIP and then the ranks will only be confined to Waypoint.

This is not a AAA game, it's a game in a AAA franchise. The only department that truly stands out are the graphics even though the game sure doesn't have a locked framerate.

I don't understand why people try to say "it's so hard to make a Halo game from scratch". Bullshit, not with the background, experiences and resources 343 had and has. They had inherited 10 years worth of a franchise, 10 years of refinement and retooling that this franchise has had. They tore up those 10 years. They take the time out to make a "true" Flood and Grifball mode, but remove a legacy mode like Assault. What? You're going to say they can add it in, that it wasn't ready for primetime? Why not? It's only been available at launch in every other Halo. You can't tell me they didn't have enough resources for an already existing mode when they've added new modes.

But of course tell me how hard it was to make the game. Tell me this while simultaneously accepting the short campaign, the outsourced Forge, the inactive Fileshare, customization options removed, missing legacy modes and features, a dialed down Firefight, the weakest A.I. in the series and a slew of other technical issues.

The game should have had a beta, tons of things were discovered in the first week that make me and many others feel as though everyone purchased a $60 beta. It's nice that they're fixing these things by the way. So don't get me wrong like I'm ungrateful. But the fact is they're fixing it AFTER the fact. We're the fucking gameplay testers and that's some bullshit.

Is it not?
I'd say the no-ranks thing is a paper cut compared to the jugular slice that is instant respawns. Mark my words, it will be impossible to play competitively with instant respawns.

But again, why is it that no one notices that this is heavily based on Reach ala 3-ODST? This game is not made from scratch, I don't know much about game development but core-code wise most of the heavy lifting was done. They added some new guns, tweaked old ones sure, but for the most part the biggest change is the amazing graphics. Not saying this is a bad thing to do, Bungie did it for 2->3->Reach. I don't think they did it for Halo 1->2 but it wouldn't surprise me.

What I'm saying is bad is that all the stuff they did opt to change. This is stuff that was done on purpose, removing the red xs, making weapons despawn, instant respawns. I doubt it's stuff they just didn't have time to put it. So using the excuse as building a game from scratch is disingenuous at best.

I think a lot of making the game was also spent on stream-lining the process of making the game so they/other developers can make a Halo game every year. If you cut out the story of the game and look at it, there's a lot of pressing buttons/going through portals. It seems like a showcase for making your own Halo campaign. The objectives aren't very varied. Campaign is basically spartan ops with a bigger, more linear, level.

Enfinit

I'm done with the BR. DMR is too OP. RIP.

I want to use the BR. I really, really do. However I keep losing my 1v1's against skilled players using the DMR, which resorts me back to using the DMR.

I don't want to use it, but I feel like I'm forced to.

Rev3rb

I'm done with the BR. DMR is too OP. RIP.

I used the BR all tonight for oddball/infinity slayer and it was perfectly viable. Large maps on the other hand, DMR all the way. To me, the DMR doesn't have that "awesome feel" the BR has in mid-range battles.

nomis

It dawned on me today that its much less time consuming and tedious to just list the things that I think 343i nailed, than to extoll everything that's so fucking bunk about this game. It's unfortunate.

What they did right:

-Hitscan
-The Battle Rifle
-Melee damage/bleedthrough
-Base player movement/jump height
-Adrift

Every other major and minor gameplay decision they made was aped directly from Call of Duty (except Promethean vision), including the terrible selection of maps. (Toggle crouch, standard sprint, press X to instant respawn, sleight of hand, extreme conditioning, overkill, hardline, dead silence, care packages, rerolling care packages, hit markers, riot shield, stopping power, killcams). I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

This visionary vision for the future of Halo is getting on my fucking nerves. SWAT is decent on a good connection because it alleviates the problem of instantly spawning to get revenge on an unshielded opponent. Slayer Pro is playable because it removes all of the fishy smell except the stupid goddamn instant spawns. Halo 3 worked because you could approximate (with varying consistency) where people MIGHT be at any one time. If the whole team was dead, you could often guess which quadrant of the map they would spawn in (even if you weren't a "competitive player" who knew exact spawns), and because movement speed was a known quantity, you could guess how far they might have travelled from their starting point. Skill involved being able to surprise people by taking unique routes or doubling back so they didn't know where you came from. Now that's a given considering you can instantly spawn and sprint to get the drop on the person who killed you before they can even reload.

Top Bottom