• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Nitsuj23

I haven't really played Halo since Halo 2, but I got 4 and had to make a new Live gamertag due to linking and unlinking issues with old MS accounts. Don't even want to get started on that... I can't access my account I've had for years because at the time I made it I needed a parental account. The info to that is long gone. Had the gamertag since like 04, kind of bitter about it.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone wanted to play. I'm down for campaign or multiplayer. Only on mission 4 in the campaign.

JooseBox23 is the new tag, talk to someone soon hopefully haha

Omni

lol, no. The Mantis is piss weak. Plasma pistol + plasma grenades = GG son.
That's terrible logic. Going by that the Gauss 'hog and Scorpion tank aren't overpowered at all either.

The Mantis shits on every other vehicle on the map and any competent driver can take out all of the infantry that comes close enough to EMP. The only real counter to it is the other Mantis... Well power weapons too, but they spawn so inconsistently you can't count on them to help.

I have very few actual complaints.

• Boltshot needs a nerf
  • Juggenaut/VIP/Assault need to come back.
  • Playlists could use a shuffle to some more multi-objective type hoppers and squad slayer needs to comeback. Hate having to go into Ragnarok Team Battle when i have +4 people wanting to play slayer.
  • BR needs a slight buff to make it acceptable to fight a DMR user with
  • Get Ragnarok out of KoTH
  • 5v5 Forge Map Playlist of Mixed Objectives and Slayer
  • Flinch is godawful in Team Snipers
  • Classic Playlist, No Flinch, Weapons on Map, 3 second Spawn, DMR/BR loadouts, No Personal Ordnance (From what I'm hearing the very core of the game people are happy with its all the extra fluff that they don't like why not cater to these people aswell?) Slayer Pro is halfway there.

Nitsuj23

That's terrible logic. Going by that the Gauss 'hog and Scorpion tank aren't overpowered at all either.

The Mantis shits on every other vehicle on the map and any competent driver can take out all of the infantry that comes close enough to EMP. The only real counter to it is the other Mantis... Well power weapons too, but they spawn so inconsistently you can't count on them to help.

I love having my back to a wall in the Mantis. As long as no one can hijack that shit, and I have a little cover, I'm pretty lethal. I suck at CoD but have found myself much better at Halo. I feel like there's a tad more strategy, and it's nice feeling like I have a chance at surviving when someone gets the first shot off. If you're more accurate with headshots than the other person it's pretty much GG. First FPS I've gotten into in awhile... although I really haven't been playing much.

You're missing camo squatting.

Also there's no way to nerf the boltshot, it's built-in shitty gameplay.

• Use an entire clip when shooting the "shotgun", Don't have a full clip? Cant fire it. ~
  • Fix the recharge exploit
  • Increase the Cool down
  • Increase the Charge up
  • Reduce the damage
  • Remove it from Loadouts, Buff the Standard shot damage and make ordnance only

Pick two/three of the above.

Don't do it. It can be fun with the right people but holy shit is it laggy and tedious.

I Played with 3 friends across England without any lag. Not disputing Lag exists just saying under the right conditions its not something that is always an issue.

Same with SpOps only had 1 really laggy episode and i think it was down to me not getting host because i was downloading stuff(or i was host and downloading GB's was taking its toll)

One thing about the BR is its still got bullet spread so even if you go shot for shot with a DMR user, Guess who has a random percentage of not landing a headshot even if both of you shoot perfectly?

Yea...Why introduce randomness into your gunplay? Choose the DMR folks.

I Played with 3 friends across England without any lag. Not disputing Lag exists just saying under the right conditions its not something that is always an issue.

Same with SpOps only had 1 really laggy episode and i think it was down to me not getting host because i was downloading stuff(or i was host and downloading GB's was taking its toll)

Around England huh. Try from Portland to NH.

I have very few actual complaints.

• Boltshot needs a nerf Agreed
  • Juggenaut/VIP/Assault need to come back. Let's get some of the gametypes already in the game into matchmaking such as Extraction before we talk of old gametypes.
  • Playlists could use a shuffle to some more multi-objective type hoppers and squad slayer needs to comeback. Hate having to go into Ragnarok Team Battle when i have +4 people wanting to play slayer. Gross. Being able to play the objective gametype I actually want to play is great. Another Slayer playlist? Reach MM much with it's 15 nearly identical playlists?
  • BR needs a slight buff to make it acceptable to fight a DMR user with Eh, it's fine. Light Rifle and Carbine getting some slight tweaks would be preferable.
  • Get Ragnarok out of KoTH Agreed. Get it out of the game, but it's too late for that.
  • 5v5 Forge Map Playlist of Mixed Objectives and Slayer Gotta clean up vomit off my keyboard
  • Flinch is godawful in Team Snipers
  • Classic Playlist, No Flinch, Weapons on Map, 3 second Spawn, DMR/BR loadouts, No Personal Ordnance (From what I'm hearing the very core of the game people are happy with its all the extra fluff that they don't like why not cater to these people aswell?) Slayer Pro is halfway there. As long as that is Slayer Pro, no need for more repetitive playlists
Bolded
  • Use an entire clip when shooting the "shotgun", Don't have a full clip? Cant fire it. ~
  • Increase the Cool down
  • Increase the Charge up
  • Reduce the damage
  • Reduce the range of the Boltshot's shotgun fire. It has clearly more range than the Scattershot
  • Significant reduction of Aim-assist levels

Added a couple more.

Nitsuj23

Don't do it. It can be fun with the right people but holy shit is it laggy and tedious.

Shitty to hear. Using my iPhone 5 as a hotspot. Wish I had LTE, only HSPA+ here... getting 15Mbps down which seems pretty good? Not completely sure.

I want to beat the campaign I just hate playing things solo. All my roommates are lame and ONLY want to play multiplayer.

GhaleonEB

One thing about the BR is its still got bullet spread so even if you go shot for shot with a DMR user, Guess who has a random percentage of not landing a headshot even if both of you shoot perfectly?

Yea...Why introduce randomness into your gunplay? Choose the DMR folks.

I think bullet spread is a reasonable way to limit the range of a weapon. Problem is, the DMR has no such limitation, so it demolishes BR users outside of medium range.

Ken

Anyone feel that it takes too long for your shields to regenerate?

I find myself sitting in a corner, waiting.

Just run out and die and you'll be back at full shields faster.

All Halo needs is strawberry jam vision when getting shot and it will be the best FPS ever.

Omni

Don't forget iron sights. With the addition flinch in Halo 4, I would not be surprised to see them arrive next.

The day Halo gets iron sights is the day I kiss this franchise goodbye.

I would like the see 343i take Halo further into Battlefield-type territory for multiplayer though. I think the game could benefit from bigger maps and more players (obviously for BTB only)

rakka

iron sights? ugh *shudder*

and with the way they've handled splitscreen in 4, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut it altogether in the next game. some mp maps are literally unplayable dropping to single digit fps.

lol, no. The Mantis is piss weak. Plasma pistol + plasma grenades = GG son.

Guys guys guys, lets keep smearing shit on our faces and keep telling ourselves it doesn't stink.

Says the most masochistic man alive continually revisiting a thread for a game he hates.

I'm genuinely enjoying Halo 4. I'm not denying its problems, but I can still enjoy a *game*. Big surprises, here.

Go watch Ninja or Walshy play. Smiles all around. Game's good fun, albeit in need of a patch.

• Increase the Cool down
    [*]Increase the Charge up
  • Reduce the damage

Reduce the damage, increase the charge time and make it consume a clip. I'm always surprised at the range it'll kill at, so lowering the damage and forcing a reload/swap before a headshot makes it right where it should be.

You're missing camo squatting.

Also there's no way to nerf the boltshot, it's built-in shitty gameplay.

Jesus, it killed you a couple times and now you're bitter? It serves a specific role, punishing players who fall into chase-traps. Whenever I die to it, I know I could have avoided it. #1 lesson I've learned in Halo is don't chase. This weapon's a little-too-great reminder of that. Also, it's fun to kill people with it. Setup with payoff is always nice. Nerf and we're good.

Camo squatting's another non-problem: punishing players for not using their radar and intuition. It's not that hard to determine where an invisible guy is (assuming radar isn't glitched) and putting a grenade or some revealing shots on him. I die more often to normal squatters than camo squatters—camo squatters at least warn me they're there. Reduce the time it lasts, fix related bugs and have charging a weapon toggle it off and we're good.

nomis

Anyone feel that it takes too long for your shields to regenerate?

I find myself sitting in a corner, waiting.

You sitting unshielded for longer gives BKs more opportunity to take potshots at you from the top of the middle building on Complex. You're directly contributing to their fun. Just die already.

Omni

Just came across a SR-108. He was a real dumbass too (running straight at you with the sword; camping flag with camo).

Which brings me to my question. What happened to overtime in CTF? We had the flag and was about to score (to make the game a draw), but the time went out

Shadders

You can control the missile, too. Or at least move the camera around a bit...

Yeah, what was the point of that? And on the final sequence:

I tried everything to make something different happen.

It asks you to push up to climb, if you don't you fall and die.

It asks you to push forward to crawl, if you don't you inexplicably just die on the spot.

It asks you to press LT for Grenade - I tried literally every other button here and they all lead to your death.

You have to crawl toward the nuke, if you don't crawl fast enough you inexplicably die. Pressing every other button does nothing.

I really would have thought there'd be some alternates or easter eggs in there somewhere, but there's nothing. It really would have been better to make it a cutscene. I've played the final section 5 times now and it is without a doubt the worst section of "gameplay" in the series. And leaves a real sour taste after what was a pretty decent campaign.
`

Don't forget iron sights. With the addition flinch in Halo 4, I would not be surprised to see them arrive next.
It's funny, just came across a Rev3 review last night where one of the guys were moaning about the lack of iron sights, that it felt like Halo was stuck in the past because of it.

Made me grimace.

FyreWulff

Nothing like almost being at the end of a mission, then getting booted by a system update out of nowhere :(

Well, that's this week done. We're already retreading again? Can we please just get Firefight back at this point?

Ramirez

iron sights? ugh *shudder*

and with the way they've handled splitscreen in 4, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut it altogether in the next game. some mp maps are literally unplayable dropping to single digit fps.

Probably has more to do with the visuals they were pumping out on this old hardware. Though, the amount of times I've had to put up with guests has been pretty minimal compared to 3 & Reach, so I can't say I'm mad about it.

Just came across a SR-108. He was a real dumbass too (running straight at you with the sword; camping flag with camo).

Which brings me to my question. What happened to overtime in CTF? We had the flag and was about to score (to make the game a draw), but the time went out
Had the exact same thing happen to me once. We were within seconds of a flag cap and tying the game, but then the time ran out.

Tawpgun

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to emulate iron sights aesthetically.

Though I still think they should include an option to enable iron sights so people that want it just get donged on while they're entire screen is an ammo counter.

OrangeOak

So I woke up today and I'm still on some bullshit fall back servers where I can't play with my friends or spartan ops at all and there is like 200 people in total playing the game .
There is no official response from 343i on when they will fix this or any sort of explanation of what's going on.
I feel like some second class citizen right now lol.
I can't remember when I was treated in that shitty way by any other developer.
There is a thread on waypoint forum with some people experiencing the same issue but there is no official word when it will be fixed.

TheOddOne

Maybe there are still things in motion that they want to fix before they say anything? Be a little reasonable and don’t overreact instantly. Heck, I've been in that position before. I could not say anything because of factors that were completely reasonable and understandable but if I said anything about it people would not get the context. Creating a shitstorm for nothing helps nobody and only breeds more confusion.

Top Bottom