• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Homeboyd

So what recycled levels are we playing this time? I can't see it cause I'm in class but at least I'll know what to look forward too.
Not sure but I saw complex in the trailer/episode so I'm guessing that one is thrown back in the mix. Probably a mission or 2 on Ragnarok and then you got your lava level.

No idea... Haven't played it yet. :/ We need some new locations.

Karl2177

My mind is full of fuck. I'm sorry, but anyone that went through and actually read all of what I wrote, and pointed out what I missed deserves a commendation. And even though English isn't his primary language, it should be at least more readable than what I wrote.

senador

Banned
Playing some early morning Team Regicide. It's way better than FFA Regicide so far. Weapon spawns are fucked though. Icon shows, weapon doesn't, at least on Haven.

I don't think Jo's grammar is the issue, I think the problem is that it reads like a Facebook status knocking obamacare or the crisis in the Middle East.

The spops missions are recycled again? :( oh well. I hope one's at least quick so I can earn that +11900 SP cash money. Fun fact: with double EXP, you can earn enough to go through an entire specialization in something like 30 matches. With Fast Track on it's probably like 25 since Pioneer doesn't account for double EXP (so it'd be about 10% instead of 20).

senador

Banned
Are you using the drop recon perk? It will show the weapon icon 10 seconds before it spawns.

Nope. They just never show up for me. Some weapons are in play though so it must not be all of them. The icons also stay the entire match. I've only noticed it on Haven so far but it's been every time I've played Team Regicide.

Once again, I commend you on your brilliance.

Firefight could have been so awesome in Halo 4. Personal ordnance would have been a great addition, as would all the base building from dominion.
This guy gets it.

Can't wait to finally get the Stability mod this week; Stealth has been fairly underwhelming with the exception of me not having to hear my own clunky footsteps.

Got to watch all the Terminal vids over the weekend. I like what it added to the Didact's character, but still doesn't rightfully explain why he has to look like RAAAAM's wordier brother.

Arnie

Everyone's clearly missing the point with the 'Reclaimer Saga', with Halo 4 343 are clearly demonstrating that they've lost the point, and essence of Halo, and then with Halo 5 and 6 they'll bring it back, and thus reclaim it.

Or maybe this can of coke's gone straight to my head.

IHaveIce

Banned
you know what were awesome watercooler moments? Exciting and close ranked matches in Halo 2/3. :(

Cgi and story in SpOps are amazing, sadly the missions aren't

Arnie

I still like Halo 4 :C

The core game's solid, but there's only two maps that are actually worth playing, and there's too much frustrating, superfluous fat filling out the package to even be bothered playing. I'll turn it on, join a game of Haven, lose immediately because of JIP, play Haven next game, kill a guy and have him respawn and kill me instantly, rinse and repeat.

But I'll literally play about five games of Haven in an hour.

Arnie

Exactly, I missed the tension involved when you knew a win would take you to a new highest skill, in a playlist that you've been struggling with for weeks. When a game's tied at 45 with less than a minute left, and you're balancing map control with seeking out that winning kill.

And now we're left with spawn, sprint, trade, die, instantly respawn, rinse and repeat until you reach a convoluted numbered scoreline that takes into account shit like long grenade throws and no scopes. Earn your credits regardless of result, buy your emblem, play Haven again.

J10

Banned
Master Chief learned plenty about the Prometheans in the campaign. Spartan Ops shows the Inifinity crew learning the same things the Chief already learned. But Ops is supposed to take place several months after the campaign. Was the Chief not debriefed on all this shit? What am I missing?

Longbow and Exile are great maps that are marred by the wretched Infinity game system of "let's see how much bullshits weaponry we can cram on a map". I like the Ordnance system in concept, but the execution of it is horribly flawed with the unnecessary randomness of choice and the mind-boggling lack of being able to resupply your current personal weapons/grenades.

Exactly, I missed the tension involved when you knew a win would take you to a new highest skill, in a playlist that you've been struggling with for weeks. When a game's tied at 45 with less than a minute left, and you're balancing map control with seeking out that winning kill.

Reminds me of a game of team doubles, where my friend and I were losing 19-24 on guardian, and we ended up gaining control of sniper tower, getting sniper and OS and winning the game. And then we leveled up to 40 ;_;

sigh. i do enjoy halo 4, it's just not the awesome fun I had in previous games. I hope if 343 has no plans to make Halo 5 return to CE/H2 gameplay we at least get a spinoff game that has that gameplay. (or just bring back halo 2)

Arnie

Game is fantastic, just has some issues here and there along with some baffling decisions in feature implementation that ultimately seems to stem from time constraints in building a studio and building a AAA game at the same time.

I just can't agree with this.

Certain design decisions, of which have and do impact the game, don't stem from time constraints whatsoever. They stem from an overriding philosophy that doesn't marry with what Halo was, and what the majority of Halo fans want.

Even the things you're addressing, outside of the 'fantastic game', like Theatre, and Forge, are frankly outrageous. You can't blame time constraints for cutting features that were already there, even if you want to wheel it out as an excuse for no improvement in three whole years of development.

Homeboyd

Longbow and Exile are great maps that are marred by the wretched Infinity game system of "let's see how much bullshits weaponry we can cram on a map". I like the Ordnance system in concept, but the execution of it is horribly flawed with the unnecessary randomness of choice and the mind-boggling lack of being able to resupply your current personal weapons/grenades.
I think Ghaleon brought this up recently, but for those of you who got to play the game early, are there any changes at all in terms of weapon/vehicle spawns on Exile? I remember Frankie saying they were showcasing a "crazy" kind of setup on that map for the demos people were playing early and that it wouldn't be like that for MM, but I can't see how it could be packed with any more weapons (esp power) or vehicles.

Omni

Master Chief learned plenty about the Prometheans in the campaign. Spartan Ops shows the Inifinity crew learning the same things the Chief already learned. But Ops is supposed to take place several months after the campaign. Was the Chief not debriefed on all this shit? What am I missing?

Lasky knew. I assume it was classified.

J10

Banned
Lasky knew. I assume it was classified.

I can understand keeping Halsey in the dark since they're firmly in the habit of treating her like shit despite needing her expertise, but from a story telling perspective this all seems very redundant. Introducing new characters to spend half a season going over the same story information already present in the campaign.

Omni

I can understand keeping Halsey in the dark since they're firmly in the habit of treating her like shit despite needing her expertise, but from a story telling perspective this all seems very redundant. Introducing new characters to spend half a season going over the same story information already present in the campaign.
Not really. Spartan Ops seems to be focused on Jul with a bit of Promethean side story. It's not all that redundant, IMO.

spoiler for spartan ops episode:
Halsey is texting the covenant? Who comes up with this stuff?

Well obviously she didn't know :p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I just can't agree with this.

Certain design decisions, of which have and do impact the game, don't stem from time constraints whatsoever. They stem from an overriding philosophy that doesn't marry with what Halo was, and what the majority of Halo fans want.

Even the things you're addressing, outside of the 'fantastic game', like Theatre, and Forge, are frankly outrageous. You can't blame time constraints for cutting features that were already there, even if you want to wheel it out as an excuse for no improvement in three whole years of development.

The design decisions we've always disagreed on. The features (Theater, Firefight, etc) I really do think can be attributed to time issues. I don't think this development went smoothly. I think they may have tried to implement Firefight but struggled with it, and couldn't afford to spend more time on it if they wanted to ship, so they cut it. Same with a lot of missing features. Makes sense when you think about how they came out upon launch and said "we are really looking at adding full features in through patches, not just fixes."

There was an executive decision made somewhere that Firefight, campaign theater, scoring, etc. would be cut, and I really can't see that it would have been "just because." If it was cut "just because" then I'm in the wrong but something tells me there is a LOT more to the story of Halo 4 development than we'll ever know. I just hope they can get these features back in, and get the core gameplay issues/balancing fixed.

I honestly hate how a lot of people seem to think all 343 had to do was "copy and paste" features over. If that was all they had to do we'd see those features. Something happened to get them cut.

Omni

Off topic but... In Far Cry 3 there's a mission where you burn weed with the flamethrower. As you're doing it this track is playing... it all works so well! Maybe the most fun I've had in a mission in years.

To try and bring it back on topic... In Halo 4, the music didn't really seem to fit the scene. That one moment in the campaign when you see the Cryptum for the first time was memorable (anyone have the name for that track?), but it certainly wasn't loud enough and only lasted a few seconds.

The design decisions we've always disagreed on. The features (Theater, Firefight, etc) I really do think can be attributed to time issues. I don't think this development went smoothly. I think they may have tried to implement Firefight but struggled with it, and couldn't afford to spend more time on it if they wanted to ship, so they cut it. Same with a lot of missing features. Makes sense when you think about how they came out upon launch and said "we are really looking at adding full features in through patches, not just fixes."

There was an executive decision made somewhere that Firefight, campaign theater, scoring, etc. would be cut, and I really can't see that it would have been "just because." If it was cut "just because" then I'm in the wrong but something tells me there is a LOT more to the story of Halo 4 development than we'll ever know. I just hope they can get these features back in, and get the core gameplay issues/balancing fixed.

I honestly hate how a lot of people seem to think all 343 had to do was "copy and paste" features over. If that was all they had to do we'd see those features. Something happened to get them cut.
Yeah, I'm totally willing to cut them slack on cut features due to time constraints and whatever else, that's completely understandable to me. I actually wouldn't mind an overall leaner Halo game I guess, but my own issues stem from things that can't be excused with that, more the underlying mechanical and gametype changes that just seem bonkers and completely contradictory to what I want out of the game. Even if they're using the Reach engine or whatever else, it can't be as easy as swapping out Reach's assets and inserting 4's to retain Firefight or whatever, but things like the whole flagnum angle of CTF are the things that chap my ass in the end.

Off topic but... In Far Cry 3 there's a mission where you burn weed with the flamethrower. As you're doing it this track is playing... it all works so well! Maybe the most fun I've had in a mission in years.

To try and bring it back on topic... In Halo 4, the music didn't really seem to fit the scene. That one moment in the campaign when you see the Cryptum for the first time was memorable, but the track certainly wasn't loud enough and only lasted a few seconds.

Mission 2's music and variety of it was standout for me, it seemed to fit every scene in that particular level.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of surprise praise for team regicide, from people who apparently hate FFA regicide, I guess I'll give it a try at least before condemning it. Anyone here tried it?

FyreWulff

I'm still curious about the reason for this. Other than to turn active players away from the game, or from dividing the community into haves and have nots.

I wonder if you even earn EXP that counts towards the later levels when you're stuck, or if you just zero out until they decide to let you advance.

Reach gets absurd at the later levels (I'm not sure I'm ever going to advance out of Eclipse) but having a faster ranking system that just goes "Stop playing here" would seem to have some problems to me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The specializations aren't open? What was that code everyone got in email?

Are people running into that level 70 barrier already? I used all the double XP I could and am just about to hit 60.

Not everyone got it. Especially if you're in Europe / the UK.

Ah. Well I'd think 343 will open them soon. I can't imagine a ton of people are at 70 yet, but people will be getting close. I wonder if they will add more levels later on. Seems like we'll hit top rank much faster than in Reach.

post of the year?

Can't believe I went to sleep before this was posted. So, judging solely on my experience on the internet, can I ask if you're Nigerian? Before you answer, be aware that, while I feel for you and your wrongly deposed prince, I cannot help with the transfer of large sums of cash.

:D

Here we go again with grammatical errors and mistakes.

Dude, This is soooooo old.

I really hope you are a teacher or you have some serious issues.
And to answer your question, No English is not my First language. more like the fifth.

The question is, how many languages can you speak?

4 either well or fluently, 2 others enough to get by. If we include programming languages, the fluency increases to about 13 with another 10 or so passable. BRO! DO YOU EVEN LIFT?

Also, welcome to HaloGAF :)

rakka

after SR50, every specialization takes the same number of XP to complete, correct?

If so, SR130 doesn't seem very far away at all. nowhere near the time it would take to get to inheritor on reach

don't know whether that's a good thing or bad yet.

4 either well or fluently, 2 others enough to get by. If we include programming languages, the fluency increases to about 13 with another 10 or so passable. BRO! DO YOU EVEN LIFT?

Also, welcome to HaloGAF :)

tumblr_m9nomrXA641rb4gsco1_500.gif

Top Bottom