• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Is Getting Surprisingly Little Extra Lift From Blacks and Hispanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article is saying that Clinton's numbers with Blacks and Hispanics are lower than Obama's, but people ignore that due to Trumps' own numbers with those demographics also being lower than the last Republican candidate's, resulting in the difference between the candidates for those demographics remaining mostly the same as in the last election, rather than Clinton's lead increasing compared to Obama's due to Trumps' lower numbers. This doesn't mean that Trump is anywhere close to her though.
Clinton was not going to get Obama's numbers with blacks, nor do I remember anyone ever expecting her to. That said, this article overstates the difference in support between the two in one breath while pointing out she's receiving relatively the same amount of support in the other. It seems to be criticizing her for only getting Barack's numbers while Obama grew support from prior elections?

Is that it?

giphy.gif

Honestly? Given how "Trump's polling is terrible" is a regular article on the more liberal news sites, I would honestly say yes, they would be that complacent.

What logic is this really based on, though? Minorities have shown to be a lot more politically active, on average, than white voters from my understanding. Usually complacency towards polling is geared the other way, with the losing side being discouraged from voting since their candidate of choice is already losing significantly, creating a 'what's the point?' mentality. Also, you think the racial aspect of this election that has been key will just be ignored by minorities come election time?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I expect Clinton supporters being fare weather fans versus a very hyped up alt right.

I'm still not following. If doesn't translate to polling advantage? But she has significant polling advantage over Trump in these demographics. It's not even really that close. Or are we saying it stagnating from election to election for democrats and that's bad? I guess maybe I am just confused on what the overall message being conveyed is.
Me too. Now I don't feel so bad.

PSqueak

Banned
Does it matter if those demographics like her as much as obama when her opponent has negative approval with them?

entremet

What logic is this really based on, though? Minorities have shown to be a lot more politically active, on average, than white voters from my understanding. Usually complacency towards polling is geared the other way, with the losing side being discouraged from voting since their candidate of choice is already losing significantly, creating a 'what's the point?' mentality. Also, you think the racial aspect of this election that has been key will just be ignored by minorities come election time?

I don't know about that.

https://www.americanprogress.org/is...g-minority-and-low-income-citizens-dont-vote/

It's worse in midterms obviously.

But wouldn't you think she would be leading more comfortably based on the huge demographic gap between her rival?

It's not as big. That's the point of article.

The polling advantage in the demographic isn't translating to bigger win in the national polling.

Well, I mean, she has a pretty comfortable lead right now, with most electorate polling showing her ahead by roughly 100 electorate points. Is this just about national polling then, less about state and electorate? I guess I'm still just not following. For a NY Times article, I have to say, this is really unclear. The confusion to me seems to be it puts Hillary kind of in a bubble versus Obama and really doesn't address Trump's numbers at all.

Nobody except Clinton die-hards want Clinton as president...

Go cry over a picture of Bernie somewhere.

Well, yeah, midterms has always been an issue for Democrats. I was more talking about Presidential elections since I assumed this is what was being talked about.

Abounder

Banned
If not for Trump she'd be the worst frontrunner when it comes to favorability ratings, despite Obama's solid numbers. Still Republicans have dominated governorships and perhaps soon even the House and Senate. Hillary just didn't rally like she used to as well, and comes across as the Democrat's Dick Cheney. Oh boy

Tagyhag

Bernie Bro 4 Life.

That little lift Hillary is getting is because she stopped pandering.. Insert Coin(s) to Pander

Bernie pandered to college millenials who take Philosophy 101 and think they know everything about the world while actually knowing jack shit.

If you really believed Bernie could wipe away all our college debt clean and magically come up with a perfect economy (Which he refused to share with everyone) and not think that's pandering...I don't know what to tell you.

Oh fuck no. Fuck. No.
With all the shit that happened over the last week and she's still leading him by 5 points in the polls. He is fucking done.

There aren't enough old racist white men that can save that orange fucker.

Fuck Trump.

Aren't we still seeing results from polls that were taken before the basket of deplorables and health scare?

Does it matter if those demographics like her as much as obama when her opponent has negative approval with them?

I think this is kind of the key thing about this article that makes it confusing. It's obvious they are commenting on Hillary's inability to pull the kind of demographic numbers Obama did (or, at least, grow them), but the ignoring of Trump's historically low numbers with these groups is what has me scratching my head. Is it more a comment about stagnation of these numbers from election to election? But I don't really see how Clinton is not getting an 'extra' boast from these groups when Trumps support from them is so low?

Ugh 3 weeks ago there was almost no electoral path to victory for trump, now shit is getting scary

I mean, the path is still pretty slim overall.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/princeton-election-consortium

There's not any reason to really panic, yet. Not that I guess it's going to stop most of you, though. I still remember the pre-DNC days, and we're slowly getting back to that, unfortunately. If it gets more people out to vote, I guess it's good, but I'm not going to fall into that trap as of yet.

For the past 2-3 decades the black vote has been more or less 85-95% democratic so its not a real shock there, democrats are pretty much coasting on always counting on that block:

9JDYEn2.jpg

The surprise to me is the hispanic and women vote, I would expect that to trend towards Hillary much more favorably and it probably will as we get closer to the elections. Those two groups are the key swing votes for this cycle, I would think, and I just don't see a path for Trump to get much higher in those groups with all the stuff he has said so far.

entremet

Is there a chat room or something where you guys all meet and organize these weak ass, already refuted talking points breh?
Pretty obvious bait.

Kinda funny actually lol.

Hot sauce is the last thing Hillary needs to worry about as well.

NeonZ

Clinton was not going to get Obama's numbers with blacks, nor do I remember anyone ever expecting her to. That said, this article overstates the difference in support between the two in one breath while pointing out she's receiving relatively the same amount of support in the other. It seems to be criticizing her for only getting Barack's numbers while Obama grew support from prior elections?

Is that it?

No, it's criticizing her because her gap to Trumps' numbers with Blacks and Hispanics is about the same gap between Obama and Romney, in spite of Trumps' lower numbers with those demographics. She isn't getting the same numbers as Obama otherwise the gap would have widened.

Following the comment about Clinton not doing any better than Obama among Black voters it says this:

Then, pre-election polls showed Mr. Obama beating Mr. Romney by an even greater margin than the polls currently show Mrs. Clinton beating Mr. Trump. Mr. Obama held a 93-3 percent lead among likely black voters (92 to 3 among registered voters).

Although at that point it oddly doesn't give the numbers for Clinton that it's using as a comparison, only Obama's.

It's definitely a thing..

Saw this the other day:

https://youtu.be/Z5fQ9_uSuxw

And a few of my black friends who believe in the NWO, Illuminati, and all that nonsense and genuinely believe Hillary is apart of it.
GuCH6Lr.gif

It's not. This doesn't even need to be taken seriously. Trump is not doing well with black people in any noteworthy way.

Please stop embarrassing us with that awful accusation.

For the past 2-3 decades the black vote has been more or less 85-95% democratic so its not a real shock there, democrats are pretty much coasting on always counting on that block:

9JDYEn2.jpg

The surprise to me is the hispanic and women vote, I would expect that to trend towards Hillary much more favorably and it probably will as we get closer to the elections. Those two groups are the key swing votes for this cycle, I would think, and I just don't see a path for Trump to get much higher in those groups with all the stuff he has said so far.

It seems most polling shows that single women skew towards Clinton, with married women toward Trump. It's kind of weird, but makes sense in a warped way if you think of married women being influenced a lot by their husbands and family, and Trump has also touted out several tax policies geared towards childcare and such for families (one of the few actual policies he's detailed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom