• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Pepsi a beverage that exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nydius

As far as regular cola is concerned, it's RC for days. I grew up drinking RC more than Coke or Pepsi because my father preferred RC so now when I drink Coke or Pepsi they're both OK but I'm going to pick up an RC as soon as possible.

As for flavored sodas (outside of Ginger Ale, which I can only tolerate Canada Dry), this is where I always stop. Unfortunately it's a regional thing.

cheerwine-cherry-soda-pop-4.jpg

Hex

Banned
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't taste /that/ bad, but in this world we have the superior soda, it's called Coca-Cola. I even tried the "sweetened with real sugar" Pepsi, which tasted leagues better than the standard canned swill they call a Coke competitor.. But was still 100% flat 5 minutes after opening the can, a problem basically every Pepsi product has (hi Mountain Dew, why do I have to basically chug your delicious contents in order to fully enjoy every drop?)

Y'know, if Real Sugar Pepsi stayed carbonated even half as long as Coke, I could maybe see it as a valid competitor, because it tastes more similar to Coke, but then you bust out a bottle of Real Sugar Mexican Coke, and Pepsi just seems shitty again.

What say you, Pepsi-Cola-GAF?

People like different things, who would have thought...

Real sugar helps Pepsi out immensely and it seems to be sold everywhere these days. The real sugar cherry and vanilla flavors are also awesome.

HFCS pepsi is shit

i don't know how one simple change affects it that much. Coke doesn't see as big of a leap going from one to the other (though it is def better with real sugar.)

Aske

The sugar content may be higher, but IMO the higher carbonation (also bad for you) offsets the taste.

Thankfully, the carbonation fear is not true.

I wish society would get over the soda paranoia. Sugar and HFCS are horrendously bad for you, but they're no worse for you in soda than they are in anything else. So diet soda may not be to your taste, GAF, but it's not especially bad for the body.

Water's better, obviously, but soda is treated like battery acid; when in reality, it's more like a bag of doughnuts in a can. Unless it's diet, in which case it's a can of artificial sweetener - and while that might make you hanker for carbs and may even cause an insulin response, it will not give you seizures and autism and curse your family, or cause your bones and gut to rot away; and it's an order of magnitude better than chugging sugar water.

jax

Banned
Couldn't care less which I drink, my household buys both. If I had to choose though, Coca Cola tastes better when cold and Pepsi when warm. Either way if i'm thirsty and wanting a soft drink I couldn't care which one I had.
So.. Coke is better then? Since warm soda isn't a thing?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I think Pepsi's aftertaste is tolerable unlike Coke's. Plus I generally think Pepsi tastes better. If I had to drink one soda for the rest of my life, however, then it'd be Boylan's cream soda.

riotous

Banned
The sugar content may be higher, but IMO the higher carbonation (also bad for you) offsets the taste.

It's sweeter though; certainly can claim it doesn't taste as sweet as coke does to your pallete but I found HUELEN's "know the difference" to be condescending considering its objectively sweetened more.

EGM1966

People like it.

No idea why I think it tastes awful but there you go.

Just be satisfied - as I am OP - that you have superior soda drinking taste and leave the others to their preferences.

TimeKillr

The thing a lot of people don't seem to understand is that soda tastes wildly different depending on which part of the world it's made (even though I know Coke has a very strict recipe) because of the water quality and how carbonation is made.

Water quality is a huge factor in taste - when done with good water, the soda tastes miles better. I find that soda in Canada typically tastes much better than soda in the USA simply because Canadian bottling plants have access to better quality water.

Carbonation is another big factor, too - Pepsi going flat quick in the USA means it's carbonation process produces large bubbles, which get expended quickly, while Coke probably produces smaller bubbles in it's process so it keeps it's carbonation longer. From what I've been told, African soda is ridiculously good (at least the ones from the north coast of Africa) because there's a single bottler for all products, including beer, and they reuse the CO2 that is naturally released by the fermentation process to carbonate their sodas. This produces incredibly tiny bubbles, and I've been told by several people that Pepsi stays carbonated for quite some time when it's opened.

My guess is Pepsi just has sub-par carbonation processes in the USA, really. Pepsi is stupidly popular in Quebec (partly because of their god-tier ad campaigns from the 80s that just skyrocketed the soda's popularity, and it's mostly french people who love Pepsi - anglos seem to prefer Coke).

But, whatever. Soda is soda, it's horrible for you. It's essentially sparkly sugar water with a bit of flavoring and a ton of caffeine.

Coca Cola all the way. But I have to say I really like Pepsi Twist.

But Coca Cola with a slice of lemon - god tier drink

Aske

I don't really mean nutritional health, but my dentist said that the number of back molar cavities have shot way up due to carbonated water and drinks like kombucha being on the rise.

Also a myth, thankfully! Soda's not good for your teeth, but carbonation isn't the issue. From the link I posted:

When carbon dioxide is dissolved in water, small amounts of carbonic acid are formed, making the water slightly more acidic. However, when researchers soaked human teeth in various still and sparkling waters, they found that neither were harmful to the teeth. As I talked about in my article on mineral water, most water—even tap water—contains small amounts of calcium and other minerals and these minerals buffer the effects of the carbonic acid and protect the tooth enamel.

This is not true of flavored soda water, by the way. The flavoring agents make the soda water significantly more acidic and these flavored seltzers could contribute to dental erosion. And of course, soft drinks like Coke and Pepsi are also quite acidic and will definitely erode tooth enamel. In the fifth grade, one of my classmates submitted a project for a science fair in which she placed some of her baby teeth in vials of Coke. Over the course of a few days, they largely disappeared. Her project, memorably titled “Rot Your Teeth,” won an Honorable Mention at the fairfair.

Drinking plain club soda, seltzer, or mineral water however, does not damage tooth enamel.

jax

Banned
The thing a lot of people don't seem to understand is that soda tastes wildly different depending on which part of the world it's made (even though I know Coke has a very strict recipe) because of the water quality and how carbonation is made.

Water quality is a huge factor in taste - when done with good water, the soda tastes miles better. I find that soda in Canada typically tastes much better than soda in the USA simply because Canadian bottling plants have access to better quality water.

Carbonation is another big factor, too - Pepsi going flat quick in the USA means it's carbonation process produces large bubbles, which get expended quickly, while Coke probably produces smaller bubbles in it's process so it keeps it's carbonation longer. From what I've been told, African soda is ridiculously good (at least the ones from the north coast of Africa) because there's a single bottler for all products, including beer, and they reuse the CO2 that is naturally released by the fermentation process to carbonate their sodas. This produces incredibly tiny bubbles, and I've been told by several people that Pepsi stays carbonated for quite some time when it's opened.

My guess is Pepsi just has sub-par carbonation processes in the USA, really. Pepsi is stupidly popular in Quebec (partly because of their god-tier ad campaigns from the 80s that just skyrocketed the soda's popularity, and it's mostly french people who love Pepsi - anglos seem to prefer Coke).

But, whatever. Soda is soda, it's horrible for you. It's essentially sparkly sugar water with a bit of flavoring and a ton of caffeine.

I would love to try a better carbonated Pepsi, because the flavor is actually kinda good. Maybe canned simply isn't the way to go?

n0razi

I find Coke Classic and Pepsi to be on the same level but when you look at their whole lineup, Coke wins easy (Sprite vs Sierra Mist, etc)

DeaviL

Banned
I alternate between Pepsi and Coke for both the tastes, and sometimes a diet coke if i feel like it.
I need them to exist side by side.

Edit: Pepsi with lemon is absolute garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom