• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Pepsi a beverage that exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about water? It won't give you diabetes or decayed teeth.

Seriously, the last time I drank Coca Cola was back in November when I went for a week to Orlando. While at Disney and Universal parks I got thirsty and needed sugar to give me energy to keep going in the week-long insane daily marathon of parks-until-they-closed extravaganza.

The last time I drank Pepsi was that same week too on the day I went to Tampa's Busch Gardens park. They had Pepsi so I drank that.

But seriously. Drink water, guys.

Persona7

Banned

Seriously, the last time I drank Coca Cola was back in November when I went for a week to Orlando. While at Disney and Universal parks I or thirsty and needed sugar to give me energy to keep going in the week-long insane daily marathon of parks-until-they-closed.

The last time I drank Pepsi was that same week too the day I went to Tampa's Busch Gardens park. They had Pepsi so I drank that.

nlsnTtb.gif

DarkFlow

Banned

Seriously, the last time I drank Coca Cola was back in November when I went for a week to Orlando. While at Disney and Universal parks I or thirsty and needed sugar to give me energy to keep going in the week-long insane daily marathon of parks-until-they-closed.

The last time I drank Pepsi was that same week too the day I went to Tampa's Busch Gardens park. They had Pepsi so I drank that.

Always one.

random25

Both just tastes the same actually. They taste so good when ice cold, taste like trash otherwise.

I do prefer root beers anyway.

I'm questioning why it exists in its current form. If I were PepsiCo, I'd figure out how to at least match Coca-Cola in terms of flavor. It seems like they're trying with Real Sugar Pepsi (tastes almost exactly like Coke) but they still have the issue of it going flat almost immediately

lol

MilkyJoe

Diet Pepsi is the king of carbonated beverages.

The bigger question is who drinks full sugar colas in adulthood?

Pepsi Max is really popular here in Scandinavia, and I believe large parts of Europe. Especially as of late. But Coke is of course superior. And here we don't have nasty sugar-alternatives either.

RC used to be a thing, and it was pretty good from what I remembered. But it's not available here anymore.

Dr Pepper is for the clinically insane.

Chariot

In Germany it's significantly cheaper than Coca Cola while not tasting any worse. If I was rich I would buy Vanilla Coke all day though.

Seanspeed

Banned
Pepsi tastes better than Coca Cola. Don't know what it is, but I definitely prefer it.

At least in the US. Not much of a soda drinker normally and I haven't compared here in the UK, where the sodas seem to taste a bit different.

Wiktor

Pepsi Max is really popular here in Scandinavia, and I believe large parts of Europe. Especially as of late. But Coke is of course superior. And here we don't have nasty sugar-alternatives either.

Pepsi Max is infinitely superior to any zero-calorie soda Coca-Cola has. it actually tastes like a proper cola, while Zero is just watered down Coca-Cola with added metalic aftertaste. It's like Pepsi just concentrated on making something tasty, while Coca Cola foolishly tried to copy the taste of sugar-version.

Pepsi Max to the fullest. If I buy sugary drink it's Coca-Cola. For me it's 95% diet, 5% sugar.

Is it true that Coke and/or Pepsi use corn suryp as sugar replacement in the U.S.? I saw OP mentioning "real sugar Pepsi" is sugar in Pepsi a new thing?

KHlover

Banned
Actually prefer Pepsi when I eat fastfood stuff. Only when eating fastfood stuff to be precise. It's a bit sweeter than Coke and less carbonated (Germany),which makes it easier to gulp down.

In the rare cases that I drink Cola purely for the taste Coca-Cola is miles ahead imo. Also for mixing Cuba Libre, Captain Cola or Jacky Cola.

random25

Where do you live, that your Coca Cola and Pepsi taste the same?

I dunno why, but they really taste practically the same for me. I'll probably distinguish it better when both are fizzled out to determine the sweetness and the like but when both are freshly-opened and ice cold, I really can't tell the difference (or I just didn't care much to be bothered by the taste lol).

I can distinguish the sugar-free versions better though. Pepsi Max tastes much better than Coke Zero by a mile, that's for sure.

On another note, Pepsi Blue, if some of you are aware of its existence, tastes much better than both the regular Pepsi or Coke. Too bad it's some limited edition thing.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Pepsi Max to the fullest. If I buy sugary drink it's Coca-Cola. For me it's 95% diet, 5% sugar.

Is it true that Coke and/or Pepsi use corn suryp as sugar replacement in the U.S.? I saw OP mentioning "real sugar Pepsi" is sugar in Pepsi a new thing?
HFCS is used normally in the US due to lower cost. Though, using cane sugar leads people to falsely believe that it is healthier than HFCS, which it is not.

random25

I just wonder why people drink cola in the first place. Let alone argue over what cola is best.

Anything that's bad for your body tends to be the things the human body and taste buds can't resist, like cigarettes, alcohol, fatty foods, junk foods, sweets and soft drinks.

zeopower6

In the US, many soft drinks (well many food items in general) use high fructose corn syrup over normal sugar due to the lower cost. It's actually in lots and lots of products you wouldn't think would use it. I never really minded though so I'm not really sure where I stand on the "HFCS is bad! Real sugar is good!" debate. Kinda just don't care.

I just wonder why people drink cola in the first place. Let alone argue over what cola is best.

Why do people eat fast food? Why doesn't everyone just cook their meals? Why does anyone do anything?

SoundLad

Pepsi Max

Please keep in mind that Coke and Pepsi can taste different in different countries.

For example, Finnish Pepsi Max is more carbonated and has a different (better) sweetener taste than the one available in Ireland & UK.
Source: Years of experience drinking cola drinks in different places.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I like Moxie over coke and Pepsi.
GFC.2010.10.1.97-f1.jpg

Moxie's flavor is unique, as it is not as sweet as most modern soft drinks and is described by some as bitter. Moxie is flavored with gentian root extract, an extremely bitter substance which was reputed to possess medicinal properties. It originated around 1876 as a patent medicine called "Moxie Nerve Food".[2]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie

V_Arnold

Every now and then I think console wars are some special things, only relegated to the realm of gaming fanboys.

Then I come across a coke vs pepsi thread, where apparently, I drink the Devil's Semen if I touch a pepsi bottle. Okay guys, I get it. You WUW Coca Cola. Good for you. I drink both.

Pepsi Max is infinitely superior to any zero-calorie soda Coca-Cola has. it actually tastes like a proper cola, while Zero is just watered down Coca-Cola with added metalic aftertaste. It's like Pepsi just concentrated on making something tasty, while Coca Cola foolishly tried to copy the taste of sugar-version.

I'll agree that Pepsi Max is the best no-sugar cola, but normal Coke is best. I really dislike Coke Zero, tastes like stevia.

Please keep in mind that Coke and Pepsi can taste different in different countries.

For example, Finnish Pepsi Max is more carbonated and has a different (better) sweetener taste than the one available in Ireland & UK.
Source: Years of experience drinking cola drinks in different places.
Drinking Finnish-made Pepsi Max as we speak.

Yes, I've heard about "HFCS" and it is used every where. But it isn't used in sodas here. That's why I'm interested if there's a taste difference. Usually imported sodas come here from the UK. And I believe they use sugar down there.

Also I've heard the water affects the taste.

What the fuck is going on here. Pepsi tastes way better than coke. Coke is for grandmas who have pocket full of werthers. Whatever tho, I prefer blood orange sanpellegrino anyway.

Pepsi Max > All other colas.
Pepsi Max Cherry > Pepsi Max

(UK flavours at least, might be different around the world. Turkish Fanta is bright neon orange and tastes way nicer than ours)

HFCS is used normally in the US due to lower cost. Though, using cane sugar leads people to falsely believe that it is healthier than HFCS, which it is not.

Cane sugar has some significantly lower chance of causing diabetes in heavy drinkers of soda.

You probably shouldn't be a heavy drinker of soda either way.

Nekofrog

Banned
Pepsi and Coke are both revolting.

Cherry Pepsi is delicious, Cherry Coke is abhorrent.

Vanilla Coke is amazing, Vanilla Pepsi is disgusting.

I don't get it, man.

PInk Tape

Banned
Every now and then I think console wars are some special things, only relegated to the realm of gaming fanboys.

Then I come across a coke vs pepsi thread, where apparently, I drink the Devil's Semen if I touch a pepsi bottle. Okay guys, I get it. You WUW Coca Cola. Good for you. I drink both.

It's amusing that it's difficult for some people to grasp that not everybody likes the same thing you like and vice versa.

For me, I drink both and am happy that I'm given different options *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom