• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was a fan of Gwyneth Paltrow, but after reading about her 'Goop' products. Never again.

CyberPanda

Banned
The Most Absurd, Over-Priced, And Outright Crazy Goop Products You Can Buy

Gwyneth Paltrow has become as famous for her bizarre Goop products as she once was for her acting. The Academy Award-winning actress found a surprising second career as something of a lifestyle expert – though, admittedly, it's not the kind of lifestyle most people are used to. Gwynnie launched her (in)famous brand in 2008 as a humble little newsletter, and in the years since, it's evolved into a multimillion dollar enterprise known mainly for two things: absurd, overpriced products and Paltrow's questionable health advice.

The craziest products on Goop are a testament to just how out-of-touch Paltrow is with everyday folks and the demands of living paycheck to paycheck (her attempt to survive a week on food stamps was a spectacular fail). Fortunately, the weirdest merchandise selected and sold by Paltrow is always good for a laugh, even though she seems to take these items seriously. You have to wonder: is she some kind of marketing genius who has tapped into a demographic of wealthy, New Age-y, Beverly Hills white women? Or is she playing a ridiculous character with total, life-encompassing commitment, a la Andy Kaufman?

The answer might never be clear. In the meantime, let's enjoy a rundown of some of the most absurd Goop products.

18K Gold Dumbbells

18k-gold-dumbbells-photo-u1

At $125,000, the Hock Design Goldloft 18K Gold Dumbbells probably won't be showing up at your neighborhood Y anytime soon. But they do make a statement for those with luxury in-home gyms. Each Goop-approved dumbbell in the two-pair set is comprised of 2 kg of 18K gold.

Vampire Repellant
vampire-repellant-photo-u1

Protect yourself from "psychic vampires" and bad vibes with Goop's Psychic Vampire Repellant spray. Billed as "a unique and complex blend of sonically tuned gem elixirs," this formula is meant to be sprayed around your head in order to protect your aura. It sells for $27 a bottle.

A Coffee Enema
coffee-enemas-photo-u1

The Implant O-Rama System At-Home Coffee Enema marries the world of colonics with the world of beverages. A natural pairing, right? For $135, the java enema aims to clean you out and give you a rush like you've never experienced before.

Incidentally, if Goop sells an "At-Home Coffee Enema," does that also mean they sell a mobile one that you can use in, say, your car?

A Toothpaste Squeezer
a-toothpaste-squeezer-photo-u1

When you're Gwyneth Paltrow, squeezing your own toothpaste is apparently something you don't have to do yourself anymore. With the Goop-sanctioned Cedes Milano Toothpaste Squeezer, a nifty little machine handles this unpleasant (?) task for you. The $244 squeezer is a "clever chrome plated brass device" that "ensures you get the most out of your toothpaste, every single time."

I use to like her, and after seeing this ridiculous product line she has, I can't look at her the same again. Smh.

Winter John

Gold Member
Never really thought much of her movies but the way this thing is written is straight up bullshit. It criticizes her for being out of touch with people living paycheck to paycheck, when she straight up says her niche products are for the wealthy. It's like criticizing Moet & Chandon for not selling Mountain Dew.

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah I'm sure the rich are worried about getting every last droplet of toothpaste out of the tube. That's how they stay rich I guess, I'm sure their toothpaste costs 2 grand a tube.

lock2k

Banned

I use to like her, and after seeing this ridiculous product line she has, I can't look at her the same again. Smh.

lol. I have a two dollar toothpaste squeezer from Daiso. It's awesome.

juliotendo

You shouldn’t be much of a fan of anyone out of Hollywood.

More often than not, they’re full of shit and would sell themselves to the devil to have a few bucks.

Fox Mulder

Why should I care if people sell dumb shit to idiots, even if she believes in it.

I love Tom Cruise movies even though he's in a cult.

n0razi

If you want to sell turd on stick to dumb rich people who are willing to pay you for it... more power to ya!

n0razi

You shouldn’t be much of a fan of anyone out of Hollywood.

More often than not, they’re full of shit and would sell themselves to the devil to have a few bucks.

You can honestly replace "anyone out of Hollywood" with "Politician" or "CEO" or "Pastor" or "Anyone in a position of Power" and get the same results

Last edited:
never been a big fan of her and only role I like her is as Pepper Pots in the first 2 Ironman. that said, it's kinda pointless hating her for this alone since there are plenty of people getting their money this way or similar.

and of course, at least she can laugh at herself about it, which I'll give her that.

Top Bottom