• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If i LOVED The Witcher 3, should DA: Inquisition be my next RPG or i must skip it?

akenatone

I played Dragon Age Inquisition all the way through when it came out. I am going through Witcher 3 now (About 50 hours in). DAI feels like a student project compared to Witcher 3. You would think EA made the Witcher, the production values, the quest design and the world is much more alive than anything in DAI which feels empty in comparison.
It feels as if there was a generational gap in between the two games. DAI is still worth playing, just not right after Witcher 3.

To be fair I guess, DAI is cross gen. Witcher 3 isn't. But yeah even then, I doubt Bioware could ever go to the level of detail CDPR gave to everything. They seem to be on a tighter schedule too.

I put probably over 100 hours into Inquisition and it was the sort of game that really peaked at about hour 30 or so and just slowly declined after that. It has all the typical modern BioWare writing which is what it is and I'd more easily recommend Inquisition if you already played Origins or DA2 and were invested in the lore or characters. Since you haven't played Origins or DA2, The Witcher just does so much stuff right that Inquisition completely got wrong in terms of marrying engaging story into an open world.

I guess on the positive side, Inquisition looks real nice. The main quests are ok but like I said, even with the main plot stuff, it really peaks about 1/3rd of the way into the game. The combat is pretty mediocre and just so many of the systems in place like customizing your base and character progression feel really half baked and poorly implemented with a terrible UI to boot. But the side quests are complete garbage. And unfortunately, you'll be forced to spend a fair amount of time grinding out some amount of the B-tier MMO quality side quests in order to unlock the main quests.

The Witcher just got so much right that Inquisition got wrong in terms of setting up an open world RPG with story. So much of Inquisition's quests would basically be the equivalent of clearing out monster nests or bandit camps from The WItcher, except BioWare had the gall to formally qualify that rubbish as actual, proper side quest material. And then they just recycled those same exact quests across about a dozen maps.

So yeah, if Inquisition came out in 2015 I don't think it would have gotten anywhere near as much praise and hype as it generated. If you want a pretty looking semi-open world RPG, sure, go ahead and play it but be prepared to get burned out on it pretty quick if you don't like quests that amount to "Close 10 portals."

I will say that the Trespasser DLC for Inquisition was solid though. If only they had the rest of the main game more focused like that. But if you want a good Dragon Age game, play Origins on PC.

Waxwing

Yes, play it, of course. Good grief Gaf can be hyperbolic. Sure, the sidequests aren't as interesting (though Witcher has plenty of copy-paste style sidequests (coming from someone who adored the game). But there's plenty of good world-building and character development going on alongside fun combat. I do recommend playing the game on nightmare- makes combat so much more interesting.

I had a similar question so I thought I ask here.

Which one should I get GAF, Witcher 3 season pass or DA:I deluxe edition?

Loved the Witcher 3 so much and I plan to play through it again in the near future. Also loved DA:O back in the day but absolutely hated everything about DA2. Should note that I have limited time for playing (limited as in, I can only play games for the two or three upcoming months and then won't be around for a very long time).

So, Which one should I get GAF?

Yes, play it, of course. Good grief Gaf can be hyperbolic. Sure, the sidequests aren't as interesting (though Witcher has plenty of copy-paste style sidequests (coming from someone who adored the game). But there's plenty of good world-building and character development going on alongside fun combat. I do recommend playing the game on nightmare- makes combat so much more interesting.

ALL of this.

Loved the Witcher 3 so much and I plan to play through it again in the near future. Also loved DA:O back in the day but absolutely hated everything about DA2. Should note that I have limited time for playing (limited as in, I can only play games for the two or three upcoming months and then won't be around for a very long time).

As much as I like DA:I, if you can only choose one, TW3 season pass.

well, Hearts of Stone is a better 'side quest' than any quest in DA INQ, imo.

but it's a side quest... and it'll be over before you'd have left the Hinterlands =p

so, I think it depends as much as whether you want 8 hours or 80 hours of content as to which 'game' is better =p of course you get B&W too but that's while off, so again.. depends on how much content you want 'now.'

//edit// honestly, I wouldn't even debate the two things.

1. buy Hearts of Stone. now. it's a must own if you enjoyed Witcher 3. 100% must own. probably the best or second best (behind ME2's Lair of the Shadow Broker) story DLC around.

2. evaluate if you want DA INQ separately =p

It's inferior in pretty much every way to TW3 but it still has great characters and parts of the main quests were pretty epic.

Basically, ignore all the filler content as much as possible (which is possible, contrary to some ignorant posts here) and just focus on the main quests and character interactions. I feel like that's enough to have a good time.
Perfectly said, unlike:
Da:i is flat out garbage, everyone should ignore it

Crzy1

DA:Inquisition leans more towards DA2 than DA1, imo. It's not quite an open world (just big explorable zones) and the quest design can be really monotonous. I enjoyed it, overall, it's not as good as The Witcher 3, but I think it has much better pacing (unless you just decide to do all the sidequests). The characters were enjoyable and the story was passable, if you like Bioware you'll probably like it.

It came out before some of the heavy-hitters this year, so it probably won't stand up as well, but I still would recommend giving it a go if you're looking for an RPG to play.

zkorejo

You should have played DA:I before TW3. Its not as good as TW3 and it will feel like a downgrade.

For walking around with the party and listening to their banter while exploring a huge map and encountering the High Dragons is good. Story isnt bad and combat is just... ok I guess.

Xiao Hu

Inquisition is probably the last game I will ever play in that franchise. Pure mediocrity storywise and gameplay that could have been ripped out of a cancelled Dragon Age-MMO. But Origins was sooooo good....

BigDes

Dragon Age is ok but there are better crpgs on the ps4

I would say skip it for divinity. Or wasteland 2 if your rpg doesnt need elves

Perfectly said, unlike:

no, that comment is still incorrect. the main missions are trash with the exception of what, 2 or 3? and all the characters are boring as hell, even returning characters are super boring. also a game that doesn't respect your time by basically going "NO! You can't do this main mission until you go do some filler quests to get points"

so again, DA:I is hot trash, stay far away from it.

True Fire

I'm playing it right now and it's pretty decent.

GAF is really hyperbolic about games in retrospect. A lot of people still have a love affair with Fallout 4, but a year from now it will be considered one of the worst games of all time. Just like how The Witcher 3 is now somehow considered to be absolute garbage?

Quonny

It's fine. GAF being hyperbolic as always. Enjoy the characters, try and break the combat, and have a good time. It won't blow your mind but it's enjoyable.

It's very forgettable. I thought the environments looked really good. Much grander and more fanciful than most of the Witcher 3. But gameplay and story were really boring.

I thought Dragon Age Inquisition was a great game (particularly with the Epilogue DLC ending). It sets up Dragon Age 4 in a really awesome way. What you do in the Epilogue seems like it will have maaaajooor consequences in how DA4 will play out. That's my impression at least.

It's also an emotional ending that expands on the best character in your party.

and all the characters are boring as hell, even returning characters are super boring.

Dorian is boring ?

Come on now.

Characters is really the only thing that I would say DAI nailed just as much as TW3, maybe even more because they all have interesting and optional side stories, romance options are great and the banter and interactions between all of them too.

patapuf

I've not played inquisition but Divinity original sin is one of the if not the best RPG of recent years, albeit for different reasons than the Witcher.

It's main strength are it's combat system, exploration and interaction with the environment ot solve puzzles/combat/quests. Especially in the first half it also has excellent quest design, certainly better than the Witcher.

That said, it's narrative is only serviceable, and you won't meet many memorable characters. It can be pretty funny though.

Gorger

- Never played DA:O or DA:II

I say start with Origins (Ultimate edition) and play it on PC. One of the best RPG's last decade. Then rush through the second game so you get the story.

Inquisition is the third of a trilogy. You will be completely lost having no foreknowledge of the world and characters.

I thought the environments looked really good. Much grander and more fanciful than most of the Witcher 3.
yeah it had some amazing vistas but sadly rather poor exploration

DAI for me feels like looking at a Dungeons & Dragons painting, whereas W3 feels like you're actually in the painting .

(And it's something a little more thematically focused, like AD&D Ravenloft or Warhammer Mordheim.)

RPGam3r

Man hyperbolic comments like "hot garbage" and "one of the worst games I've ever played" just lose their impact after reading it so many times.

I'm playing this on the PS4. Is there any way to increase font size of the text? I have a hard time reading the text in the menus and such. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the game so far. But I haven't played the Witcher 3 yet.

Really no reason to play Inquisition. Its not very good. It looks pretty but thats about it.

Dorian is boring ?

Come on now.

Characters is really the only thing that I would say DAI nailed just as much as TW3, maybe even more because they all have interesting and optional side stories, romance options are great and the banter and interactions between all of them too.

If anything I think the formulaic character stories and "everyone is a romance option" has been the bane of Bioware storytelling for a while now.

Man hyperbolic comments like "hot garbage" and "one of the worst games I've ever played" just lose their impact after reading it so many times.

uhh when i say its hot garbage I'm not being hyperbolic cause It is, and its also easily one of the worst games I've ever played. is it the worst game ever made? Hell if I know, I haven't played every game that exist and I'm sure there are games that are worse than it too. but I can tell you one thing, out of the games that I have played in my life, DA:I is EASILY without a doubt one of the worst.

Fuck no, stay away. It's up there as one of of the dullest open world RPGs I've ever played.

Divinity is great though, play that instead.

Cracklox

The true answer is OP really should be playing Divinity. Or pickup Wasteland 2 for some old school rpg vibes.

Re the actual question though, I'm inclined to say its prob worth skipping if you've been through the Witcher. That's pretty hard for me to say (I have 70 or so hours on Inquisition - enjoyed most of it) but the Witcher really did set a new standard for how a good an RPG should be. Inquisition falls well short of that standard (IMHO), is pretty by the numbers and doesn't really take risks, and I can't help but feel if you played it after TW3 then you would be disappointed. Everything is just so Vanilla in comparison. Maybe the combats at a similar level (but different), but that's probably the Witchers weakest point, so.....

Da:I is terrible. Origins (on pc) is great

I wouldn't go as far as to say terrible, but it feels like s big waste of time when you're finally done. A mediocre game for 60-80 hours quickly gets to feeling worse that it's individual parts. So I agree that it should be skipped.

But Origins is fantastic. Builds an amazing world with characters that no follow up in this series has come even close to matching.

Hate on DAI all you want, but Dorian is downright the best character to come out of that game. I don't know how he is as a romantic option, but if you simply remain as friends with him (DAI spoilers)
he becomes arguably your most devoted friend, and he straight up tells you that you are his only friend and that he'll miss you greatly

Dorian x me = ultimate bros

Yeul

Every DA:I related thread on here is going to be full of overboard comments about how it's absolutely horrid. Honestly, I liked it a lot for what it was (the final DLC makes it much better) and even their first DLC shows that they learned to tie quests to map locations a bit better than the base game. GAF tends to swing one way then another on a lot of games with time (mostly towards the negative direction) but if I were you I would research other opinions as well. Read reviews, etc. If it sounds like something that might interest you, I would give it a shot. Just know that it's not perfect, but the atmosphere and characters are fun. It does help to play the other games though for world-building. If you're into tactics, DA:Origins is more in line with that and you could start there.

Browse the OT from shortly after launch. The reactions from then to these posts ITT are interesting. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934165&page=57

The hype when a games comes out, particularly from a beloved series carries a lot of unearned enthusiasm for any game. Especially with s game that can last 100 hours, you shouldn't be looking at people's reactions to it the first day they're playing it for s real critique.

Tenck

I could only stomach 20 hours of DA:I before I finally gave up. The quests were so boring and the cities had no life to them. I tried to get in to it around November but have up again.

With the Witcher 3 I would wake up, boot up the game, and turn it off when I was ready to sleep. Week flew by.

Really no reason to play Inquisition. Its not very good. It looks pretty but thats about it.

If anything I think the formulaic character stories and "everyone is a romance option" has been the bane of Bioware storytelling for a while now.

Everyone isn't a romance option though and they fixed it from 2 where everyone was suddenly bisexual. The cast blows Origins and KOTOR out of the water overall, even if those had really strong standouts like HK-47, Alistair etc.

The hype when a games comes out, particularly from a beloved series carries a lot of unearned enthusiasm for any game. Especially with s game that can last 100 hours, you shouldn't be looking at people's reactions to it the first day they're playing it for s real critique.

Plus people were really hungry for a AAA rpg. People convinced themselves they enjoyed Knack.

The power of thirst is real

Daingurse

Hate on DAI all you want, but Dorian is downright the best character to come out of that game. I don't know how he is as a romantic option, but if you simply remain as friends with him (DAI spoilers)
he becomes arguably your most devoted friend, and he straight up tells you that you are his only friend and that he'll miss you greatly

Dorian x me = ultimate bros

Yeah, Dorian was probably my favorite companion in the game. He was a pretty good character.

Top Bottom