• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 4 Event - April 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
shuri said:
I just bought a 3GS 3 months ago! They better not release a new fucking model.
June-ish is when Apple updates their iPhones always and forever.

Mark it your calendar!

shuri said:

Isn't it common knowledge that Apple updates the iPhone once a year every summer? I know I will be selling my 3G in the next month or two so that I can pick up whatever they announce later (in June?). :D

SimleuqiR

shuri said:

As far as I can remember Apples has always released a new iPhone (with new hardware elements) every year...no?

The new iPhone will likely have much more storage and a better screen (quality wise and be 3.7"). That is the least I expect out of Apple.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm so torn. I want to buy a 3GS now because I hate my current phone.. but in June something much better is going to come out isn't it :mad:

I guess I should do the smart thing and wait it out.. but I'm not really known for doing the smart thing.

Minsc

Gold Member
shuri said:

It's supposed to (better be) a huge improvement. Major resolution increase, 5MP (dual) cameras, HD video recording, multi-tasking out of the box (fancy-expose-ish).

It should hopefully knock the 3G/3GS in to a bloody pulp if Apple does it right! :D

Edit: Also:

macrumors04.png

teiresias

can't wait for everyone to hail iphone multitasking as innovative and magical and suddenly like the idea of it rather than having to crap on it since the iphone didn't do it. By everyone I mean certain TWiT hosts.

I'll laugh heartily when Macbook Pros and iMacs are revealed to be using a build of iPhone OS4 from now on with OSX reserved strictly for Mac Pros.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
shuri said:

They ALWAYS do a yearly update. Considering a new phone won't be out for 3 more months I'd say you did well. I mean you only have a 12 month window to work with anyways.

CiSTM

Banned
shuri said:

There is supposed to be two new Iphone models.

edit: it has been circulating rumor for weeks now. Don't know if it will hold.

Yay!

I've been holding out for an announcement before making the call between the new iPhone and an Android phone. My poor old dumbphone can't last much longer :lol

Minsc said:
It's supposed to (better be) a huge improvement. Major resolution increase, 5MP (dual) cameras, HD video recording, multi-tasking out of the box (fancy-expose-ish).

It should hopefully knock the 3G/3GS in to a bloody pulp if Apple does it right! :D

Edit: Also:

macrumors04.png

Are you ficking serious O_O? I'm going to get the new iphone when my contract runs out in Oct. Sounds awesome!

Medalion

Banned
Oh boy the iPhone OS will finally support a feature already found in most cell devices years ago but didn't when it first launched

RubxQub

Medalion said:
Oh boy the iPhone OS will finally support a feature already found in most cell devices years ago but didn't when it first launched
Hey, no one's saying that it's definitely going to support multi-tasking.

For all you know Apple could very well not include that feature so instead of playing the "Apple finally..." card you can keep throwing the "Apple hasn't..." card!

Animatik

Neo Member
I was just about to buy a 3gs this pass weekend. Good thing the store nearest to me was closed because of Easter.

Shawn128

I don't ever recall them making an event for just the iPhone OS update. Aren't they typically featured with new iPhone model announcements in June?

Should we expect big things for this update then?

guise

what the what?!

im assuming hardware updates will still be in the summer and they are now separating hardware from software announcements??

Minsc

Gold Member
Animatik said:
I was just about to buy a 3gs this pass weekend. Good thing the store nearest to me was closed because of Easter.

According to this, the new iPhone is an "A+ update"

I'd hold out unless you're the type of person who doesn't care that every last feature is significantly improved for no additional expense, 3 months after you buy it.

RubxQub

Shawn128 said:
Should we expect big things for this update then?
I would.

New iPhone due in a few months, new Mac hardware due any day now. Apple'd be KWAZY not to address either of those at all and keep it strictly to iPhone OS previewing.

My initial thoughts are:
  • Present iPhone OS4, seed to developers
  • Reveal iPhone 4G model
  • Announce Macbook updates

I'd be shocked if at least one of the last two bullets isn't addressed at this event.

SimleuqiR

teiresias said:
can't wait for everyone to hail iphone multitasking as innovative and magical and suddenly like the idea of it rather than having to crap on it since the iphone didn't do it. By everyone I mean certain TWiT hosts.

I'll laugh heartily when Macbook Pros and iMacs are revealed to be using a build of iPhone OS4 from now on with OSX reserved strictly for Mac Pros.

In Apple's defense I would say they will probably handle Multitasking uniquely and intuitively.

Minsc

Gold Member
guise said:
what the what?!

im assuming hardware updates will still be in the summer and they are now separating hardware from software announcements??

Yup, this is 99% going to be no mention of any new hardware, only about, well, the new OS 4.0

Hardware information likely won't come until the last minute, as it will hurt sales of current models.

numble

RubxQub said:
[*]Announce Macbook updates
[/LIST]
They usually don't mix iPhone, iPod (even iPod touches don't get announced with iPhone) and their Mac OS lines at events. They treat them like entirely different divisions.

RubxQub

numble said:
They usually don't mix iPhone, iPod (even iPod touches don't get announced with iPhone) and their Mac OS lines at events. They treat them like entirely different divisions.
I agree, but that shit is so due!

SimleuqiR said:
In Apple's defense I would say they will probably handle Multitasking uniquely and intuitively.

In teiresias' defense, most Apple fanbots widely argue that you don't need multitasking on a phone except for the things the iPhone does allow, like email or Safari.

RubxQub

jonnybryce said:
In teiresias' defense, most Apple fanbots widely argue that you don't need multitasking on a phone except for the things the iPhone does allow, like email or Safari.
Now why'd you have to go there? :(

Nice, im up for some disappointmenTON for this week.

- probably no mention of multitasking
- more features that are useless to me (i.e. universal search, voice memo)

Give me a solid reason to love my iPhone again, PLEASE!!

teiresias

SimleuqiR said:
Sort of like how they handled copy and paste exactly like every fan mockup on the web said they should months (years?) before they actually did? It's bound to be either expose-like or cover flow-like, something Palm WebOS has been doing well for over a year.

numble

Multitasking on my iPhone I don't care about (I've used Backgrounder on my jailbroken iPhone maybe 2-3 times); Multitasking on my iPad--that I find useful.

qwerty2k

teiresias said:
Sort of like how they handled copy and paste exactly like every fan mockup on the web said they should months (years?) before they actually did? It's bound to be either expose-like or cover flow-like, something Palm WebOS has been doing well for over a year.

we get it, you hate Apple, lets move on.

Minsc said:
According to this, the new iPhone is an "A+ update"

I'd hold out unless you're the type of person who doesn't care that every last feature is significantly improved for no additional expense, 3 months after you buy it.
Blu-Ray software a mess? And HTML5 the future... that's iffy.

whitehawk

Banned
Somewhat related: When are they gonna release a new iPod Touch? I need a touch, but it's probably better to wait for the new one.

gcubed

RubxQub said:
I would.

New iPhone due in a few months, new Mac hardware due any day now. Apple'd be KWAZY not to address either of those at all and keep it strictly to iPhone OS previewing.

My initial thoughts are:
  • Present iPhone OS4, seed to developers
  • Reveal iPhone 4G model
  • Announce Macbook updates

I'd be shocked if at least one of the last two bullets isn't addressed at this event.

any reason why people expect a "4g" version? They release a new iphone every year, i fail to see the benefits of an LTE model. I'd be willing to bet that it will not be a 4G because this model isn't timed right for it

Minsc

Gold Member
BlackGoku03 said:
Blu-Ray software a mess? And HTML5 the future... that's iffy.

Well the HTML5 makes sense, since they're so anti-flash. The blu-ray a mess position, I don't understand. But it is a mess in the sense that not a single person/relative on either side of my family (close to 100 people) cares even the least bit about it. Not even the more technically inclined.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Should be interesting to see if they catch up to Android with this. I think everyone would be shocked to see them not do multitasking and such. Hopefully they have some new stuff too.

More interested in hearing when they would update the iPad OS with this, seeing as the iPad is pretty lame at the moment.

Of course we all know the biggest bomb to drop, moreso than OS4 or a 4G phone, would be a Verizon iPhone. (A 4G phone is more likely for next year I think.)

qwerty2k

The mess Jobs referred to is the licensing situation, though other companies have worked it out so not sure why Apple can't. It's not really in their interest to add blu-ray though...they want you to buy through iTunes not go out and buy the blu-ray.

whitehawk said:
Somewhat related: When are they gonna release a new iPod Touch? I need a touch, but it's probably better to wait for the new one.

yes, they'll release a new update. As for when? September maybe?

Either way, I'm definitely holding out for the 4th Gen

teiresias

qwerty2k said:
we get it, you hate Apple, lets move on.
My iMac, iBook, and original iPhone would disagree with your assessment. The only real reason I got rid of my iPhone is the utter lack of adequate AT&T coverage where I moved. I just simply can't stand the fanbots tendencies (not necessarily on GAF) to think the only things worth doing in tech are the things Steve Jobs tell you are worth doing.

Apples fairly obvious move away from actual computing platforms to consumer electronic devices is also annoying. Jobs seems to think people only need media consumption devices nowadays. If he's not careful no one will own something they can actually create content on and all of these media appliances he's kicking out the door won't have any varied content to run since you'll need a uber Mac Pro to run any tools that let you do that kind of work.

mujahidmd said:
I hope 4.0 gets Jailbreaked . If they add multitasking the phone will be complete

Is the problem you can't already jailbreak your phone because you updated your OS?

JB phones can just download ProSwitcher to multitask (and kill your battery faster)

whitehawk

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
yes, they'll release a new update. As for when? September maybe?

Either way, I'm definitely holding out for the 4th Gen
Yup. I've already waited this long, might as well hold out a bit longer.

RubxQub

gcubed said:
any reason why people expect a "4g" version? They release a new iphone every year, i fail to see the benefits of an LTE model. I'd be willing to bet that it will not be a 4G because this model isn't timed right for it
I just meant 4th generation, not 4G network supporting.

I still hate how Apple has named these products after the first one :lol

gcubed

RubxQub said:
I just meant 4th generation, not 4G network supporting.

I still hate how Apple has named these products after the first one :lol

i agree, they are in a bind with 4g :) wasnt there rumor of something like HD? My wife is anxiously awaiting the announcement of the new model, and so am I because all i have heard from her is constant bitching since i got my nexus one and told her she had to wait until the new iphone model is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom