• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 4 Event - April 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Pctx said:
You guys are an fning riot.. I post one picture in jest about flash and people get bent out of shape. I don't think Ill ever care if flash happens on the iPhone but calling me a troll for it... :lol that is grand!
I thought it was funny. I tweetedit, in fact. I also think pxleyes didn't understand that tobors comment was a joke.

Pctx

Banned
mrkgoo said:
I thought it was funny. I tweetedit, in fact. I also think pxleyes didn't understand that tobors comment was a joke.
pxleyes is quickly becoming my #1 poster on GAF for this reason. :lol

jts

...hate me...
So I got to put my hands on the OS4.

Animations and the new springboard are really really sweet... but the dull locksceen... god dammit. Pls announce something new on the WWDC.

Pctx

Banned
jts said:

Animations and the new springboard are really really sweet... but the dull locksceen... god dammit. Pls announce something new on the WWDC.

I'm sure Apple has to have some surprises up its sleeve for the WWDC.

pxleyes

Banned
Pctx said:
You guys are an fning riot.. I post one picture in jest about flash and people get bent out of shape. I don't think Ill ever care if flash happens on the iPhone but calling me a troll for it... :lol that is grand!
You post a random image about Flash, leave the thread, and come back a few days later. Do you need me to look up the definition of troll for you?

mrkgoo

pxleyes said:
You post a random image about Flash, leave the thread, and come back a few days later. Do you need me to look up the definition of troll for you?
It wasn't a troll, necessarily. The image was funny regardless of your stance on no flash. Well, at least I found it amusing.

pxleyes

Banned
mrkgoo said:
It wasn't a troll, necessarily. The image was funny regardless of your stance on no flash. Well, at least I found it amusing.
It was a funny image, a few weeks/months ago when it was first posted. To post it randomly in the middle of iPhone OS4 discussion is a little out of place, and with Google's announcement of Flash support, a little bitter.

mrkgoo

pxleyes said:
It was a funny image, a few weeks/months ago when it was first posted. To post it randomly in the middle of iPhone OS4 discussion is a little out of place, and with Google's announcement of Flash support, a little bitter.
I had ever seen it before, so I guess that's why I wasn't offended by it. Regardless, I think to even consider something like that intended to be comical as 'bitter' is weighing a bit too heavily on this issue. Don't let yourself get so involved, man.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jts said:

Is it the same old lock screen or did they do something to it to make it look worse?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
freitax said:
what do you mean? I had this problem every time I would sync the iphone 600 tracks would have to be synced again, a process that takes hours with the 128 kbps option. Apparently it's a bug in iTunes that they have fixed, but didn't make it available through the apple software update, so I downloaded it again from the website and problem solved.
oh shit... I JUST saw this post now.. Please tell me exactly what you did.. I do have the newest version of itunes, but did the auto-update. Just don't want to lose all of my apps/songs/backups. I would love to use this feature right now but yeah, that's exactly what it does. re-encodes every song every time content changes. and it does this on both my iphone and my daughter's touch.

LCfiner

dark10x said:
Is it the same old lock screen or did they do something to it to make it look worse?

same old. same old.

and I'm not holding out hope for some new additions to be shown off at WWDC

@ borghe.

I had the exact same problem. just go to the itunes website and redownload itunes and install it again. no need to uninstall the current itunes (at least on the mac). problem solved.

Pctx

Banned
pxleyes said:
Up my ass as always.... You could go look up the definition of a troll if you wanted to but would be a waste of time. I've been fairly active in this thread but I'm glad to see you bounce in here and tell people what to think.

pxleyes said:
Again--- your opinion. I posted it because it was funny and given the fact that I've stated in multiple threads (go do your research if you want) where I've noted I simply do not care about flash on my iPhone because I personally have no use for it. Tabor obviously got my joke but you didn't... par for the course... again... as always.

mrkgoo said:
I had ever seen it before, so I guess that's why I wasn't offended by it. Regardless, I think to even consider something like that intended to be comical as 'bitter' is weighing a bit too heavily on this issue. Don't let yourself get so involved, man.
Pxleyes has a personal grudge against me for shitting on the Nexus One phone that he and others on GAF have. He's one of the ones that I apparently rubbed the wrong way more than once and he feels it his civic duty (to both his purchase and defending Android... which I openly love...) to bash me where ever I happen to talk about mobile tech. Doubt that will ever change.

Pristine_Condition said:
They had better...since Jobs basically confirmed that this WWDC is all about iPhone/iPad, and won't hardly touch the Mac side.
neogaf.png

B E L I E V E

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
borghe said:
oh shit... I JUST saw this post now.. Please tell me exactly what you did.. I do have the newest version of itunes, but did the auto-update. Just don't want to lose all of my apps/songs/backups. I would love to use this feature right now but yeah, that's exactly what it does. re-encodes every song every time content changes. and it does this on both my iphone and my daughter's touch.
That is indeed messed up sounding. I can't imagine dealing with that. :\

Then again, I prefer just to manually manage my music. Do you sync automatically for music?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
dark10x said:
That is indeed messed up sounding. I can't imagine dealing with that. :\

Then again, I prefer just to manually manage my music. Do you sync automatically for music?
sort of. I have a playlist called "manual sync" that I just pop stuff in and out of. I also use ratings legitimately and have my top rated (4 and 5 stars) automatically synced. I don't actually want to manage my music manually, but until the 64GB 4gen comes out (come on come on come on) my library is larger than my 32GB phone, and much much bigger when taking into account my apps and at least a couple hours of video content on there.

but it sounds like this is a fix, which would be awesome.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
June 7th? People seriously think the phone will be out the same day as the announcement?

I'm guessing it'll be first/second week of July... but will get my PAC for June, just in case. :D

cjelly said:
June 7th? People seriously think the phone will be out the same day as the announcement?

I'm guessing it'll be first/second week of July... but will get my PAC for June, just in case. :D
I think that's when it's rumored for the release of the OS.

Minsc

Gold Member
cjelly said:

There's a 99.9% chance of a June release of the phone, and a 75% chance of it being the within a week of the WWDC ending from what I read.*

* I made up the %s, but that's what all the rumors are indicating.

Jasoco

Banned
giga said:
Beta 4 out. Looks like they’re polishing it up since they’ve started to add some new walls (several from 3.2).

liot.jpg

[More images]
Ooh, those are nice.. I can't wait for OS 4.

I decided that I will probably get a new iPod touch in September if they end up being significantly more advanced than the current ones. At least a higher resolution and camera. Last resort I'll just get OS 4 for my 2nd Gen. Even if it will be gimped. But I'd much rather spend $200-300 for a nice new iPod. Shame that whole thing isn't until September.

I have a technical question: If I purchased iPhone OS 4 for my iPod touch, then wanted to sell it to someone, will the OS still be attached to the iPod even if the new owner has to restore the iPod (Say to put their own stuff on, or when they connect it to their own iTunes.) Will they automatically get ownership of the OS, or is it stupid and attached to my iTunes account so if they tried to restore it to their own iTunes it would pop 3.x back on. How does it work?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
krypt0nian said:
I think he means the OS beta. At least at the beginning, you have to restore it from a Mac.

That'll do it. Silly me.

And yeah, I seem to be the only one wanting 10.7 news. iPhone's all but known, not expecting any 4.0 surprises (Did 3 or 2 have any major changes late in the game?), iPad circle jerk/we were right is a given, I'm hoping for a Mac Pro/ACD something, but 10.7 would be the crowning surprise for me. Something, anything. Where it's gonna go, rough ballpark date, a feature or two, a glimpse at how it looks. It's all I really want. Well plus the for sure stuff. :p

Anywho, who's gonna make the thread? I've debated it but I'm no good at these things.

jts

...hate me...
Buckethead said:
Is video conferencing enough? Because they're doing that.
...I meant regarding the lock screen, probably won't happen though.

That plain and empty lock screen on the iPhone OS is its weakest point IMO, and the #1 reason to jailbreak for me.

noah111

Still Alive
jts said:
...I meant regarding the lock screen, probably won't happen though.

That plain and empty lock screen on the iPhone OS is its weakest point IMO, and the #1 reason to jailbreak for me.
Agreed, they can take a W7 type approach with the ability to have several type of app info on one home page, like email, FB, twitter etc notifications. In other words it could be something the developer would implement into their apps and the user would customize their home screen with whatever apps they want. Would start off with only Apple apps being compatible, obviously.

frico

Pctx said:
I'm sure Apple has to have some surprises up its sleeve for the WWDC.

How is it. I am thinking of putting it on my 3GS. Is it stable? Faster? Any problems? How is the threaded mail and fast app switching?

SuperPac

SnakeXs said:
And yeah, I seem to be the only one wanting 10.7 news. iPhone's all but known, not expecting any 4.0 surprises (Did 3 or 2 have any major changes late in the game?), iPad circle jerk/we were right is a given, I'm hoping for a Mac Pro/ACD something, but 10.7 would be the crowning surprise for me. Something, anything. Where it's gonna go, rough ballpark date, a feature or two, a glimpse at how it looks. It's all I really want. Well plus the for sure stuff. :p

3.0 had some surprises that were 3GS-specific like video recording, the compass and voice control. Those were (if I remember correctly) unveiled at last year's WWDC, they weren't previewed in the spring event. Yeah we know about the front-facing camera and such but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more little hardware-specific tweaks or differences.

Should be a new beta Tuesday. Beta 3 is stable, so beta 4 will hopefully be a good time to jump in if you're just wanting to poke around. That said, beta 1 wasn't so bad and beta 2 was a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom