• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 4 Event - April 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I left AT&T in November for Verizon (and I took my number with me, paid the ETF) , now I may want to go back for the new iPhone. Think it'll be a problem? I'm not too worried about paying the Verizon ETF as selling my current phone will cover most of it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Solideliquid said:
So I left AT&T in November for Verizon (and I took my number with me, paid the ETF) , now I may want to go back for the new iPhone. Think it'll be a problem? I'm not too worried about paying the Verizon ETF as selling my current phone will cover most of it.

No. AT&T will still be deeply hurt over the way you left it and not want your business just to spite you.

Kibbles

Solideliquid said:
I don't know a whole lot about phones, but can't you get an unlocked iPhone to use on any network?

SnakeXs

Kibbles said:
I don't know a whole lot about phones, but can't you get an unlocked iPhone to use on any network?

No. Of the major carriers, AT&T is the only one it'll work with. You can unlock it and use it on T-mo but sans 3G. T-mo uses a unique 3G frequency.

Most other places you can, though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Zombie James said:
Pretty sure he meant SIM.

oops, yea that's what i meant. I already have AT&T and the iphone 3GS, i am thinking of getting the 4G/HD one but I know my current sim won't fit in the phone and i was wondering if AT&T would swap my sim card for a micro-sim card.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm dealing with some lost media that i purchased from the itunes store.

Pctx

Banned
RubxQub said:
Android phones have had FB integration for awhile now.

...surely this means Apple can be reduced down to "Geobbels" instead of elevated to Hitler status?
There is still one thing though....
2192rkj.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
Pctx said:
There is still one thing though....
2192rkj.jpg
:lol

the one feature I want from the iPhone is a much better camera. Something that rivals standalone cameras, although it's unlikely that the Apple can come close without some sort of zoom feature. Accessory manufacturers should also step up and deliver some decent dock connected devices

giga

Beta 4 out. Looks like they’re polishing it up since they’ve started to add some new walls (several from 3.2).

liot.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg
tumblr_l2n7a7OPMp1qzdrk2.png

Tethering? Very interesting.
Looks like Apple is throwing in the kitchen sink with this update.

Just change that uggs default wallpaper and we're good. :D

freitax

borghe said:
music here also.. my collection is high quality CD rips (not Lossless, but 256K). I have around 8000 songs. As it is I had to pick n choose stuff to exclude. I would also love to keep videos on there and have my apps down to about 2GB.. I did try the 128Kbps conversion option as that would solve my problem and 99.9% of my listening is on apple earbuds, BUT the implementation is flawed at least for iphone in that it recompresses the audio EVERY TIME your content on the phone changes.... recompressing 29GB of music every single sync is... well.... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol sums it up nicely.

what do you mean? I had this problem every time I would sync the iphone 600 tracks would have to be synced again, a process that takes hours with the 128 kbps option. Apparently it's a bug in iTunes that they have fixed, but didn't make it available through the apple software update, so I downloaded it again from the website and problem solved.

SnakeXs

Buckethead said:
Tethering? Very interesting.
Looks like Apple is throwing in the kitchen sink with this update.

Just change that uggs default wallpaper and we're good. :D

Tethering's been included since 3.0, I guess they're gonna use 4.0's momentum to enable it on AT&T finally, sorta like MMS if I recall correctly.

Too bad it'll likely cost way too much (read: anything at all) and not being able to create a hotspot is fail. Ah well, still want.

SnakeXs said:
Tethering's been included since 3.0, I guess they're gonna use 4.0's momentum to enable it on AT&T finally, sorta like MMS if I recall correctly.

Too bad it'll likely cost way too much (read: anything at all) and not being able to create a hotspot is fail. Ah well, still want.
jailbreak ftw.

SnakeXs said:
I know but it hasn't until now which probably means Apple strong armed them into making it happen.

Chris R

WWDC better have info about the end of exclusivity. That plus all the new features, both hardware and software... DAMN can't wait!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
SnakeXs said:

It might cost a lot since a lot of people, including me, would use tethering with their iPad non 3G.

I know this is Off-Topic, but I just read on MacRumors that they're thinking of dumbing down Final Cut Pro.

If this happens, I go to Steve Jobs' house and poop on his doormat.

Buckethead said:
I know this is Off-Topic, but I just read on MacRumors that they're thinking of dumbing down Final Cut Pro.
if that's the case, it's already in the process of being dumbed down.

and considering Final Cut Pro is one of the few reasons to get a Mac...I can't see them doing it.

SnakeXs

Buckethead said:

I took that they're just gonna focus more on Express since it sells more. I don't think they're gonna neglect or dumb down FC proper.

entremet

Buckethead said:

Well, it could me a replacement for iMovie or even a middle solution between iMovie and FCP. Don't they still have Express?

I've never used Express in my life, so I don't know what's different.
They can make a separate dumbed down version for FC Express if they want I don't care.

But Pro has been in need of a strong revision for awhile, so anything that takes away resources from that would be criminal.

SnakeXs

pxleyes said:
Ya, I mean who uses flash anymore? It's not like 99% of computers have it or something.

Good thing we're not talking about computers, isn't it?

SnakeXs

pxleyes said:
No, because the internet doesn't become some magically different force because you view it on your phone.

And yet Flash isn't prominent there. Almost as if for a, or a series of, reasons.

Crazy how things work.

pxleyes

Banned
SnakeXs said:
And yet Flash isn't prominent there. Almost as if for a, or a series of, reasons.

Crazy how things work.
Flash is just as prominent as ever, and in just a few days a good portion of the smartphone market will have access to content they have had access to for years yet again. Crazy how the iPhone could be without yet another feature set.

SnakeXs

pxleyes said:
Flash is just as prominent as ever, and in just a few days a good portion of the smartphone market will have access to content they have had access to for years yet again. Crazy how the iPhone could be without yet another feature set.

It's done alright thus far, and I have a feeling iPhone G4 and iPad sales won't be feeling much of a hit from it. At worst, for everyone, it'll let some lazy sites not implement HTML5 video solutions but momentum has been gained and won't be stopping.

I fully await people to wonder what happened to their battery lives, though. That'll be fun.

Successfully troll about Flash in an Apple thread
Achievement Unlocked - 10 Doucheweasel points

Seriously. We get it. iPhone doesn't have Flash. Some people want Flash.
Tale as old as time. Beauty and the Beasttttttttttt.

pxleyes

Banned
SnakeXs said:
It's done alright thus far, and I have a feeling iPhone G4 and iPad sales won't be feeling much of a hit from it. At worst, for everyone, it'll let some lazy sites not implement HTML5 video solutions but momentum has been gained and won't be stopping.

I fully await people to wonder what happened to their battery lives, though. That'll be fun.
HTML5 /= Flash, but that's a typical response from the uniformed.

I'm sorry but just because the iPhone and iPad sell well now doesn't mean there isn't a HUGE market for Flash content on those and similar devices. To say there isn't would be plain ignorant.

And until I see some data showing that Flash is going to kill the battery life of Android phones, I think we can stop making such wild speculation.

Buckethead said:
Successfully troll about Flash in an Apple thread
Achievement Unlocked - 10 Doucheweasel points

Seriously. We get it. iPhone doesn't have Flash. Some people want Flash.
Tale as old as time. Beauty and the Beasttttttttttt.
Are you missing who brought up the issue of Flash again in this thread? If Apple fanboys don't want to talk about it, don't bring it up.

SnakeXs

pxleyes said:
HTML5 /= Flash, but that's a typical response from the uniformed.

I'm sorry but just because the iPhone and iPad sell well now doesn't mean there isn't a HUGE market for Flash content on those and similar devices. To say there isn't would be plain ignorant.

And until I see some data showing that Flash is going to kill the battery life of Android phones, I think we can stop making such wild speculation.

Yeah, Flash doesn't kill the life of anything else it's on, it's just crazy to assume it'll do the same on phones! *rolleyes*

And are you truly going to assume that video isn't the #1 use and demand for Flash?

No use going further. Enjoy your Flash, I hope it's everything you wish for and more. Truly, I do.

pxleyes said:
Are you missing who brought up the issue of Flash again in this thread? If Apple fanboys don't want to talk about it, don't bring it up.
It was started by a troll. Not you, but one nonetheless.

pxleyes

Banned
Buckethead said:
It was started by a troll. Not you, but one nonetheless.
Yes, responding to a post that already got a few responses makes me a troll. Can you go back in your own cave now?

edit: You are right the original post in question was started by a well established troll though, and I could have taken that into consideration.

pxleyes

Banned
giga said:
Beta 4 out. Looks like they’re polishing it up since they’ve started to add some new walls (several from 3.2).
Is there any update to the look of the folders? I'm still baffled by the orphan icons on the third row then you have 9 apps in a folder. 3x3 pls.

Chris R

Bliany said:
If you are in the developer program can you put the beta on your iphone, or is it just the sdk?
You can put the beta on your phone. How else would you be able to test programs developed for 4.0 on real hardware and not just a simulator?

pxleyes said:
Is there any update to the look of the folders? I'm still baffled by the orphan icons on the third row then you have 9 apps in a folder. 3x3 pls.
No unfortunately. Same ugliness from what I saw.
They need to have a "set icon as folder icon" option.

pxleyes

Banned
Buckethead said:
No unfortunately. Same ugliness from what I saw.
They need to have a "set icon as folder icon" option.
Only app icons or do they have some generic set too for say games, productivity, etc.?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Remember, even if ATT opens tethering and you sign up for it you still won't bemusing it for your iPad with out jail breaking one of the devices. iPhone only provides USB and Bluetooth tethering, neither of which the iPad connects to natively for Internet.

Might have to be the phone too, dunno if there is a tool after jail broken that will let the iPad connect to the web via bluetooth.

giga

pxleyes said:
Yeah it’s a bid odd when each folder is 12 apps in a 4x3 grid, but they illustrate it as 9 apps in a 3x3 grid. Probably just because there really isn’t much room in a 480x320 3.5” system.

Anywho. 10.7?

Screen%20shot%202010-05-19%20at%208.48.14%20AM.png

Pctx

Banned
You guys are an fning riot.. I post one picture in jest about flash and people get bent out of shape. I don't think Ill ever care if flash happens on the iPhone but calling me a troll for it... :lol that is grand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom