• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 4 Event - April 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.
teiresias said:
Jobs seems to think people only need media consumption devices nowadays. If he's not careful no one will own something they can actually create content on and all of these media appliances he's kicking out the door won't have any varied content to run since you'll need a uber Mac Pro to run any tools that let you do that kind of work.

media_1264621905443.png

Oh Hai

Crisis

Banned
gcubed said:
my multitasking phone battery lasts longer then an iphone battery... soo....

They're different products. Do you really think that iPhone battery life would improve while it's multitasking?

gcubed

btrboyev said:
why would they do a 4G model? At&T doesn't even have a 4G network do they? They barely have the 3G coverage...

i think we established we were just using it as a placeholder name.

Crisis said:
They're different products. Do you really think that iPhone battery life would improve while it's multitasking?

sorry, i thought he was referring to the new phone with the better life... agreed on the existing

gcubed said:
i think we established we were just using it as a placeholder name.

sorry, i thought he was referring to the new phone with the better life... agreed on the existing

iPhone HD is more like it.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
whitehawk said:
I'm confused. Doesn't 4G just mean 4th generation of iPhone?
This is why I dislike the naming convention.

3G = 3G supporting
3GS = 3G supporting + upgraded internals
Is this next one going to be a 3GSS? 3GS^2?

They kind of boned themselves it feels like...and I really think iPhone HD rings hallow.

SimleuqiR

RubxQub said:

3G = 3G supporting

They kind of boned themselves it feels like...and I really think iPhone HD rings hallow.

Supa' iPhone 3GS?

syoaran

Doesnt 4G exist though? Unless FT is wrong, I thought it was meant to be 10x the speed of 3G.. Ignore if I'm being trolled by the news

whitehawk

Banned
RubxQub said:

3G = 3G supporting

Super iPhone Entertainment System

Minsc

Gold Member
Crisis said:

Couldn't they improve the battery life and add multi-tasking though? It's not like they have to shove it down your throat and make it run every app you installed all the time.

Then you'd at least have optional multi-tasking (with less or similar battery life), but improved battery life for when you're not multi-tasking.

gcubed

syoaran said:
Doesnt 4G exist though? Unless FT is wrong, I thought it was meant to be 10x the speed of 3G.. Ignore if I'm being trolled by the news

only sprint has a phone in the US (that is coming out in the near future), you wont have many, if any phones for ATT or Verizon that are LTE capable by the time the iphone 2011 is ready

that being said, i think ATT has the better near term plans with their hsdpa+ implementation they are supposed to be rolling out very quickly. i live in philly and never had any problems with ATT 3g in my area...

RubxQub said:

3G = 3G supporting

iPhone 4?

Fjolle

syoaran said:
The 4g standard is not finished yet. Some companies try to market different technologies as 4g thought. 3gLTE (which is a faster version of 3g) is the most common, while sprint uses wimax.

Real 4g will be awesome... in 2020 :lol

RubxQub

Nazgul_Hunter said:
iPhone 4?
People would think that implies 4G still due to the 3G naming convention.

I'd love to see what Apple pulls out of it's hat for this.
gcubed said:
that being said, i think ATT has the better near term plans with their hsdpa+ implementation they are supposed to be rolling out very quickly. i live in philly and never had any problems with ATT 3g in my area...
Totally (also in the Philly area). I'm slowly coming around on AT&T.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really wish Apple would announce something about an update to the Macbook Pros. I'm looking to upgrade my old Macbook soon and am paranoid that a revision will come out soon after I buy it. It'll be interesting to see what they have at this event but they're already doing very well in the mobile market and they're computers have kind of fallen by the wayside lately.

fireside

RubxQub said:
People would think that implies 4G still due to the 3G naming convention.

I'd love to see what Apple pulls out of it's hat for this.
Kinda hoping they just drop the subtitles and go with "iPhone".

OMG Aero

Someone please tell me they don't usually announce new versions of their devices at these events, I only bought my iPod Touch a couple of weeks ago.

Futureman

Pretty sure OS 3.0 had an event last year that didn't reveal anything about the 3GS... so I wouldn't expect any hardware announcements.

RubxQub

The Bookerman said:
I really wanted an iPhone, but since everyone else bought an iPhone, I bought a Nexus One.
Am I reading this right?

Why is that a good reason not to get one? :lol

gcubed

OMG Aero said:
Someone please tell me they don't usually announce new versions of their devices at these events, I only bought my iPod Touch a couple of weeks ago.

i think we are all hoping and jumping on the hype train, but there is very little chance it will be announced. I think June is still the timeline for the new iphone announcement

CiSTM

Banned
OMG Aero said:

My guess is that there will be one new model and Iphone 3GS for sprint. So basically two new models.

RubxQub

omg rite said:
Super iPhone 3GS Turbo Championship Edition
Fuck yeah! :lol

RubxQub

omg rite said:
That is a pretty silly reason.

Though he did pick the better phone. ;)
3135fkx.gif

bionic77

I love iPhone OS updates. It is like getting a new phone for free whenever it happens. I am guessing that they won't support the OG 2g iPhone with this update and it will probably be all the 3G can handle.

I will never say no to more speed and more features, but I am doubtful of how much more speed remains to be squeezed out of the 3G.

ZeoVGM

Banned
krypt0nian said:
In your mind sure. For the rest of the populace, no.

This sentence makes absolutely no sense. The rest of the populace thinks the iPhone is better than the Droid? :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom