• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Charts: Media Create Weekly Sales (November 14 - 20)

heidern

Oh wow, that's a nice chart. Gundam has regained it's strength, and with a sell-through rate of 80% bodes well for continuing sales. The Pokemon games also did really well, that's a bigger start than even Jump Super Stars, although this is spread between the 2 systems. I expect both the DS and GBA to be up by quite a bit this week. The semi-budget priced Daredemo also has grown legs and should be a consistent seller through Christmas.

cvxfreak

Anyone know WHY so many Gundam games come out? Seems that every month, a new one's out.

Being an hardcore RE fan probably doesn't compare to a Gundam one when it comes to a collection.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Golden Darkness said:
I guess the subliminal advertising that the anime series employed paid off.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the intro credits of the anime in Japan included these scenes which are based on the games boxarts:

These scenes also debuted on the Nov. 17 episode of Pokemon, which so happens to be the release date of the Mysterious Dungeon games.

ugh....If they go and add that trash to the anime I'll seriously quit watching.

Boring list overall~to many crap games and non-games. Next weeks ought to be better.

cvxfreak

Lindsay said:
ugh....If they go and add that trash to the anime I'll seriously quit watching.

Boring list overall~to many crap games and non-games. Next weeks ought to be better.

Too late, they already added it. :lol

Don't think the Fushigi no Dungeon stuff is actually part of the episode though. The Ranger one is definitely a real episode.

Izzy

Banned
New numbers are here:

DS 65,341
PSP 58,898
PS2 21,102
GBM 9,140
GBASP 6,822
GC 5,661
GBA 249
Xbox 141

Mrbob

Giga Pack boosted PSP sales the same way Nintendogs bundle did even though it is a higher price: More value for the money.

What is going to happen when Nintendo doesn't get their dominating numbers in Japan anymore? Looks like PSP is on pace now to outsell the DS worldwide at a higher pricepoint. Fighting a losing battle like I've always said. :)

I wish Sony would have had the Giga Pack at launch. I would have bought that instead of the Value (AKA new core) Pack.

polg

Izzy said:
New numbers are here:

DS 65,341
PSP 58,898
PS2 21,102
GBM 9,140
GBASP 6,822
GC 5,661
GBA 249
Xbox 141
ceastercardpikachu.gif

Mrbob said:
Giga Pack boosted PSP sales the same way Nintendogs bundle did even though it is a higher price: More value for the money.

What is going to happen when Nintendo doesn't get their dominating numbers in Japan anymore? Looks like PSP is on pace now to outsell the DS worldwide at a higher pricepoint. Fighting a losing battle like I've always said. :)

I wish Sony would have had the Giga Pack at launch. I would have bought that instead of the Value (AKA new core) Pack.

lol?With no games at the top10????that will be difficult...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OH SNAP! And sales only go up from here. Go Animal Crossing!
Mrbob said:

The Giga Pack does well in it's first week, back to DS is teh d00med!!

Mrbob said:

What?

Nintendo's lineup is keeping there dominating numbers strong, with a new brain training and AC coming this week, and children of mana, yea... i just dont see that dying, but thanksf or playing.

No idea where you think the PSP is going to outsell the DS consistently in the near future

Mrbob

Bluemercury said:
lol?With no games at the top10????that will be difficult...

So what happens when the games start rolling in. ;)

One thing I've noticed is it seems like console gaming is almost dead in Japan.

No idea where you think the PSP is going to outsell the DS consistently in the near future

I mentioned worldwide. PSP just needs to stay close in Japan. NA and Europe will make up the difference and then some.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Let me ask again, do we think many PSPs have been bought for movies exclusively considering the poor game sales?

Mrbob said:

I mentioned worldwide. PSP just needs to stay close in Japan. NA and Europe will make up the difference and then some.

Sony's kinda gotta release numbers in NA first, because they werent ahead 2 months back.. last month we have no idea, but GTA sales didnt seem to produce strong hardware numbers according to speculation (but who knows) and this month Mario Kart DS came out, which is selling like mad crazy. Itll be interesting to see how DS holds for the holidays and beginning of next year in NA.

And I think in UK PSP shortages is owning itself I believe, along with Nintendogs insanity and now mario kart insanity in UK.. Interesting to watch indeed.

Elostyle: resell 1gb card on ebay japan and sell psp value pack on ebay japan and pray for profit ftw?! :p jk

EDIT: I meant EU not UK (according to numbers GAF posts)

polg

elostyle said:
Let me ask again, do we think many PSPs have been bought for movies exclusively considering the poor game sales?

I think many people buy it as a media player, specially for movie/tv series rips.

dunno in japan, they might get it just because it looks cool?

If there was a week where the PSP had chances to sell more was the previous one. I think there's DS will dominate til the end of 2005 and early 2006.

Izzy

Banned
elostyle said:

Maybe, but in the long run it doesn't matter. Once the big games like Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil or Devil May Cry start rolling in, those sales will come in quite handy.

jj984jj said:
The Giga Pack does well in it's first week, back to DS is teh d00med!!

DS isn't doomed - far from it. However, some people did underestimate PSP's potential in Japan.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Error2k4 said:
so going by Mrbob's logic DS outsold PSP but Nintendo's doomed?
It's "on pace now to outsell the DS."

Izzy said:
DS isn't doomed - far from it. However, some people did underestimate PSP's potential in Japan.
But didn't the White PSP and WE9 cause a bigger increase?

Culex

Banned
Izzy said:
New numbers are here:

DS 65,341
PSP 58,898
PS2 21,102
GBM 9,140
GBASP 6,822
GC 5,661
GBA 249
Xbox 141

Awesome, my prediction was spot-on for the DS!

Chart updated again, too.

JPHandheldWar.jpg

This is the closest the DS and PSP have been since the 12th-18th September, when the White PSP and Winning Eleven 9 were released.

Mrbob said:

what losing battle, sony is still making a lose of the machine, also psp and dsd sales figues are close all around the world. :lol

Andy787

Banned
I just find it incredible that a fucking $250 (and now even $300) handheld is selling as amazingly as it is, and in many areas even outselling a competitor that is half as expensive.

you should rename the time to pokemon fushi ds so we dont confused later on ;)

Also any idea on daily numbers for when AC hit or those more like tommorow?

Monorojo

Banned
Well i find it hilarious that Japan is supposed to be "omg hardcore gaming 0nly" yet they arent buying the PSP for games at all, and it is selling amazing for the lack of titles it has.

IN the US, PSP games have OUTSOLD DS games with 4 months less avialability, which means here people are buying the system for the games, not the multimedia features like in Japan.

PezRadar said:
you should rename the time to pokemon fushi ds so we dont confused later on ;)

Also any idea on daily numbers for when AC hit or those more like tommorow?
200,000 with 100,000 ds units sold.

its a rumor tho

mj1108

Izzy said:
Maybe, but in the long run it doesn't matter. Once the big games like Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil or Devil May Cry start rolling in, those sales will come in quite handy.

Winning Eleven would like to speak with you.

Culex

Banned
Izzy said:

The same way that Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy III, Zelda will come in handy?

Mrbob said:

...is this a serious post? I've never seen so many things wrong in such a small span of words.

monkeyrun

Mrbob said:

too many "what if"s ..

what if suddenly all PSP stops working on Jan 1st 2006 !!
what if suddenly all PSP owners sold their PSP!!
what if Mr Bob suddenly buy one hundred billion PSP !!

cvxfreak

platform this week 2005 total 02 – 05 LTD
1 Nintendo DS 65,341 2,146,488 3,642,075
2 PSP 58,898 1,603,224 2,085,480
3 PlayStation 2 21,102 1,631,935 11,037,109
4 Game Boy micro 9,140 346,330 346,330
5 GameBoy Advance SP 6,822 602,440 5,597,493
6 GameCube 5,661 182,270 3,065,410
7 Gameboy Advance 249 22,388 4,550,766
8 Xbox 141 11,131 471,566

cvxfreak

Izzy said:

That's a fair statement, but aren't FF and RE DS games (as well)? :D

CVXFREAK said:
platform this week 2005 total 02 – 05 LTD
1 Nintendo DS 65,341 2,146,488 3,642,075
2 PSP 58,898 1,603,224 2,085,480
3 PlayStation 2 21,102 1,631,935 11,037,109
4 Game Boy micro 9,140 346,330 346,330
5 GameBoy Advance SP 6,822 602,440 5,597,493
6 GameCube 5,661 182,270 3,065,410
7 Gameboy Advance 249 22,388 4,550,766
8 Xbox 141 11,131 471,566

Poor Xbox won't break 1/2 million. :(

Izzy said:
An underaccomplished port?

So is this the general 'term' we are gonna give every game that doesnt live up to expectations for the PSP?

"Under accomplished title"

and if its a port

"Under accomplished port"

Sounds sophisticated.

BTW: Everyone.. The White psp is now officially

the "Under accomplished color"

And the Giga pack is the

"Under accomplished bundle"

Lets keep going!

cvxfreak

Izzy said:
Of course.

Of course.

Which is why I think they're poor examples to use when it comes to the PSP actually outpacing the DS. When it comes to raising sales, you're on the mark.

Apparently you know something I don't know though about RE and PSP. :D

Izzy

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Of course.

Which is why I think they're poor examples to use when it comes to the PSP actually outpacing the DS. When it comes to raising sales, you're on the mark.

Apparently you know something I don't know though about RE and PSP. :D

:D

I'm talking about raising PSP sales AND the exploatation of the current PSP userbase - not outpacing DS. I'm not a prophet.

Izzy said:
New numbers are here:

DS 65,341
PSP 58,898
PS2 21,102
GBM 9,140
GBASP 6,822
GC 5,661
GBA 249
Xbox 141

Impressive DS/PSP sales for the week. This is the best preformance the PSP has done in awhile, although obviously the numbers will fall in the next couple weeks.

Also, the GBAMicro seems to be almost as dead as the GBA. Nintendo still made a killing on it though, so I doubt they're complaining about its preformance.

Animal Crossing is going to put up some CRAZY numbers.

koam

Man, it's as if they bought a DS with their PSP just to make sure the PSP didn't beat them in sales. Btw, when are MK and AC coming out?

P90

I remember how Metal Gear Ac!d was supposed to bury the DS. Then came WE. Then the White PSP. Then GTA. Then everything but the kitchen sink... That it'll do it! a game about washing the dishes. PSP and DS are doing fine.

Mr. Bob's post has the cognitive robustness of the Forbes article from this thread:
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=72866

jman2050

I find it funny that people are hounding Izzy for making a reasonable conclusion, that PSP sales would eventually get much better once big titles come out. He said absolutely nothing about it outpacing the DS. Only MrBob said anything about that, and as everyone with a brain here knows, MrBob is incorrect 97% of the time.

NWO

GAF 2004: The DS is stillborn and the PSP will put Nintendo out of its misery.
GAF at the end of 2004: The DS just sold well because it has no competition.
GAF 2005: Once the PSP launches in America and Europe it will be over for the DS.
GAF mid 2005: Winning Eleven will save the PSP in Japan
GAF after WE comes out: Who cares about Japan? Its all about the US and Europe numbers!
GAF before Europe launch: It will outsell the DS its first day. Europe is Sonyland!
GAF after Europe launch: Well we meant that it will eventually outsell it.
GAF before GTA launches: Ignore all those other times we declared the DS dead its going to be killed now
GAF after missing US PSP numbers and getting outsold in Europe and Japan: But the PSP made more in revenue
GAF now: Its "on pace" to eventually outsell the DS
GAF in the future: <insert lame ass excuse here for why its not outselling the DS>

You guys are just going to scream PSP will overtake the DS until the cows come home and then when it doesn't happen you'll fall back on the well it was Sony's first handheld nobody expected them to compete wait for the PSP2 then its over for Nintendo and the cycle will continue.

koam said:
Man, it's as if they bought a DS with their PSP just to make sure the PSP didn't beat them in sales. Btw, when are MK and AC coming out?

Animal Crossing is out now in Japan. It was the best selling game yesterday.

Mario Kart is like the first week in December, if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom