• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb reiterates that the PlayStation Showcase is happening this month

Status
Not open for further replies.

yurinka

Ghosts 2 isn't taking more than 4-5 years, definitiely not 9, lol.
99% for 2025.
AAA games don't take 9 years, unless you are Rockstar games. Ghost of Tsushima released in 2020. Sucker Punch surely went into pre-production for GOT 2 immediately after, or even before GOT released. You only need a small team for Pre-production. Once Iki Island DLC released in 2021, GOT2 probably went into full production. Late 2025 or early 2026 release for GOT 2 makes complete sense. It definitely has a better chance of showing up than Corey Barlog's new IP, since they didn't go into full production until early 2023(at the earliest).
Some random recent examples of long developments: Rise of the Ronin took 9 years. Helldivers 2 took 8 years. Skull & Bones took 11 years. Starfield took over 8 years.

After shipping Gow 2018 Cory took some long vacations with he family, after of which worked on the pitch of the new IP for an idea he had. Add here maybe 6-9 months of preproduction, prototyping, concept art, pitching and tweaking the pitch. Following the GoW success, very likely was greenlighted prety likely H1 2019. 5 years of production later is today. It would make sense to show it this summer, maybe for a planned late 2025 or more likely 2026 release.

GoT2 pretty likely has been under production for less than 3 years (assuming it had a small team/was under preproduction until GoTDC was almost shipped), it's too early. As I said, the big AAA games being released nowadays take on average 5-9 years.

Sony still has to show Concord, which is released this fall. Or Marathon, which is released supposedly next year.

Last edited:
Some random recent examples of long developments: Rise of the Ronin took 9 years. Helldivers 2 took 8 years. Skull & Bones took 11 years. Starfield took over 8 years.

After shipping Gow 2018 Cory took some long vacations with he family, after of which worked on the pitch of the new IP for an idea he had. Add here maybe 6-9 months of preproduction, prototyping, concept art, pitching and tweaking the pitch. Following the GoW success, very likely was greenlighted prety likely H1 2019. 5 years of production later is today. It would make sense to show it this summer, maybe for a planned late 2025 or more likely 2026 release.

GoT2 pretty likely has been under production for less than 3 years (assuming it had a small team/was under preproduction until GoTDC was almost shipped), it's too early. As I said, the big AAA games being released nowadays take on average 5-9 years.

Sony still has to show Concord, which is released this fall. Or Marathon, which is released supposedly next year.
Nobody was working on Rise of the Ronin for 9 years. It was in the concept stage during the vast majority of that time, while Team Ninja worked on other games. And Skull & Bones was in development hell for years with various Ubisoft studios pitching in. Helldivers 2 started with 20 people 8 years ago, and the reason it took so long was because they had to grow their studio to over 100 employees to actually develop the game. Starfield was probably 7 years of actual development(somehow) after 76 was released and patched. No studio has the majority of their employees working on 1 game for 9 years. Full production usually only last 2-3 years for studios not named Rockstar or CDPR

And yeah, Corey Barlog began production on his new game in 2019, but pretty much the entire studio was working on GOWR until late 2022. Santa Monica is still a one game studio, maybe 1.5 now

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Two things.

1. you're mostly mistaken.

2. Insomniac games

EDMIX

Late 2025 or early 2026 release for GOT 2 makes complete sense. It definitely has a better chance of showing up than Corey Barlog's new IP, since they didn't go into full production until early 2023(at the earliest).

Nah, that is just......wildly unlikely.

Sir, I don't even think we'll get an announcement next year let alone a release next year.

That game is very likely a long ways off.

I want it too bud, but I see nothing really pointing to some announcement and early next year release.

GTA 6 and Death Stranding 2 have been announced and have a release for next year, why would we not having an announcement already of Ghost 2 if this was some 2025 thing?

(well....disregard the above, I understand you might be saying this based on believing it would be announced this year, released next year etc)

So Bluepoint's game isn't ready and they put out Demon Souls in 2020
Clearly The Last Of Us 3 is not near an announcement type thing yet
Even massive teams like Ubisoft Montreal post AC Valhalla don't have a release date for that AC Hexe game (rumor 2026)

So the big AAA stuff from 2020, is hard to tell as we don't even have a lot of teams that put out AAA games in 2020, ready for a release next year. So it would be nice, but I'm highly doubtful they would be that done or else they might be using a lot of the same tech or something (Like Horizon 1 to Horizon 2 using Decima)

Mr.Phoenix Mr.Phoenix True, but...Sucker Punch isn't Insomniac games, no one is as efficient as that team. They have some sort of black magic going on lol

So Insomniac games is such a wild card, they are not the norm to ever be used for this example.

Last edited:
Nobody was working on Rise of the Ronin for 9 years. It was in the concept stage during the vast majority of that time, while Team Ninja worked on other games. And Skull & Bones was in development hell for years with various Ubisoft studios pitching in. Helldivers 2 started with 20 people 8 years ago, and the reason it took so long was because they had to grow their studio to over 100 employees to actually develop the game. Starfield was probably 7 years of actual development(somehow) after 76 was released and patched. No studio has the majority of their employees working on 1 game for 9 years. Full production usually only last 2-3 years for studios not named Rockstar or CDPR

And yeah, Corey Barlog began production on his new game in 2019, but pretty much the entire studio was working on GOWR until late 2022. Santa Monica is still a one game studio, maybe 1.5 now
I believe HD2 was also scrapped and restarted at some point as well but I could be wrong.

Dazraell

Gold Member
Nah, that is just......wildly unlikely.

Sir, I don't even think we'll get an announcement next year let alone a release next year.

That game is very likely a long ways off.

I want it too bud, but I see nothing really pointing to some announcement and early next year release.
Well, it'll be five years since GoT was released, so it's definitely possible considering this is a sequel and they are most likely building from the foundations they set with the first game. Realistically, out of the possible games that could be announced during upcoming Sony's showcase, GoT2 seems like a very obvious candidate

Markio128

Gold Member
I know most of us balk at early trailers for games, but at this point I’d be more than happy to at least see what concepts the big studios are working on.

I’m even wondering if GT8, or some other iteration of GT might get revealed at the next showcase. Kaz gave an interview around the release of GT7 confirming that PD had already started working on the next game, and had an interesting concept in mind. It would be a nice add for the PS5 Pro. And considering the base of GT7 is so solid, I think I can reasonably propose that the next iteration isn’t too far off. And would probably explain the obvious drop off in new track updates as of late.

Hudo

I hope that we'll see at least a new Wipeout, or Motostorm, or Resistance or Jak & Daxter.

To be fair, we know that Skull & Bones took that long because of extreme retardation and we also know that Starfield took so long because Bethesda refuse to let go of their clusterfuck that is their tech stack. And I bet part of the reason why Helldivers 2 took so long is that they use a heavily modified version of Autodesk's Stringray "engine", which is one of the craziest things I have heard in recent times.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

200.gif

Rocinante618

Neo Member
I miss E3 - all three & more together, a smorgasbord of world premieres, demos and events under themed halls, a flute show or drums, Ubi’s cringe yet funny dances, cosplays and more, the chills and tears of emotion, thousands hearts beating in excitement for they will tell stories to their kids and fellow gamers twin.

Fuck covid, destroyed all of this.

yurinka

Two things.

1. you're mostly mistaken.
I wasn't wrong, I was stating facts. If you don't like them, it's your issue. It doesn't mean I'm wrong.

2. Insomniac games
Insomniac had 3-4 (depending on the moment) teams working on 3-4 games at the same time since may years ago. So obviously they release games more frequently than studios with a single team.

Insomniac don't have magic tricks: they simply have more teams/people.

Ubisoft also releases more games per year than Insomniac. Why? Because they have more teams working at the same time on more games.

Last edited:

yurinka

The exception is not the rule. Also, how would RotR take 9 years? Maybe as a distant background project, but Team Ninja did 2 Nioh games, Stranger of Paradise and that one set in China the other year, no?
Yes, exception is not the rule: the rule is that nowadays the AAA games take around 5-9 years do be developed.

It took 9 years because bit AAA games need a lot of work, and in this case it was a new IP, their first next gen game and their first open world game.

Last edited:

yurinka

So Bluepoint's game isn't ready and they put out Demon Souls in 2020
There's no "Bluepoint game".

Bluepoint's game after Demon's Souls was GoW Ragnarok, as seen on its game credits and the LinkedIn of their workers. The entire studio worked there. After it, their next game must also be another support job role because they don't have enough designers to lead their own AAA game.

It's safe to say Sony is gonna do a small event this month or next month, and then a big one later this year to push their games to 2026, because of GTA 6. Same with MS, imo :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Yes, exception is not the rule: the rule is that nowadays the AAA games take around 5-9 years do be developed.

It took 9 years because bit AAA games need a lot of work, and in this case it was a new IP, their first next gen game and their first open world game.
Insomniac would need 5-9 teams if that were true. They are certainly the exception though.

EDMIX

There's no "Bluepoint game".

Bluepoint's game after Demon's Souls was GoW Ragnarok, as seen on its game credits and the LinkedIn of their workers. The entire studio worked there. After it, their next game must also be another support job role because they don't have enough designers to lead their own AAA game.

" the studio is aiming to work on original content going forward. No exact details about what the "original content" Bluepoint is working on will be, so it remains unclear if it is a new game that is part of an existing IP, or something new entirely.

"Our next project, we're working on original content right now. We can't talk about what that is, but that's the next step in the evolution for us," Thrush said, noting that, even with remakes like Shadow and Souls, the studio was already partially creating original content. He explained how, really, the growth of the studio, both in the literal number of employees as well as types of projects, naturally leads to this next step, especially given the team's pedigree.

"The transition from remasters to remakes was to test ourselves and push ourselves harder for the next step," Thrush said, noting the team was at about 15 people during the production of the original God of War collection, right now is at about 70 employees, and grew to 95 people at its peak during Demon's Souls (with outsourcing work, too) "

So.....yea.

Bluepoint games for several years has been growing and working on an original game.

Keep in mind, I have no clue why you'd think a support role automatically means they can't make an original game as well, that makes no sense. Sony Santa Monica has been a support studio same with Japan Studio and both teams put out many games while still supporting other studios and projects.

That isn't really an either or. So I'm sure they are helping out on projects, but from their own mouths, they are working on an original project.

Unless it was cancelled or you have information stating otherwise, I'd love to see a link to that.

Right now, who knows when that game will be announced, but I doubt it will be this year.

Also, please stop with this "they don't have enough" for this or that, sir....that was before they were purchased by Sony, teams grow, things change and clearly this team is ready to move on, so I can't judge them based on what they did in the past if they are factually growing, bought by Sony and telling me they are doing an original game lol

Fuck am I suppose to say to them? Be like "Um no Bluepoint, you are not doing that, you don't have enough team members and LinkedIn shows you worked on God Of War port, dats YO JOB BRUV" lol

mrqs

Honestly, who gives Jeff Grubb so much info all the time? Please pick someone better to leak stuff. Or please, let's us have a more interesting insider to leak these stuff.

The ego of that guy is hard to manage.

I miss E3 - all three & more together, a smorgasbord of world premieres, demos and events under themed halls, a flute show or drums, Ubi’s cringe yet funny dances, cosplays and more, the chills and tears of emotion, thousands hearts beating in excitement for they will tell stories to their kids and fellow gamers twin.

Fuck covid, destroyed all of this.
E3 was dying before covid IMO. E3 ceased to be E3 when they stopped doing live gameplay demonstrations and just started showing 2 minute youtube trailers over and over.

yurinka

" the studio is aiming to work on original content going forward. No exact details about what the "original content" Bluepoint is working on will be, so it remains unclear if it is a new game that is part of an existing IP, or something new entirely.

"Our next project, we're working on original content right now. We can't talk about what that is, but that's the next step in the evolution for us," Thrush said, noting that, even with remakes like Shadow and Souls, the studio was already partially creating original content. He explained how, really, the growth of the studio, both in the literal number of employees as well as types of projects, naturally leads to this next step, especially given the team's pedigree.

"The transition from remasters to remakes was to test ourselves and push ourselves harder for the next step," Thrush said, noting the team was at about 15 people during the production of the original God of War collection, right now is at about 70 employees, and grew to 95 people at its peak during Demon's Souls (with outsourcing work, too) "

So.....yea.

Bluepoint games for several years has been growing and working on an original game.

Keep in mind, I have no clue why you'd think a support role automatically means they can't make an original game as well, that makes no sense. Sony Santa Monica has been a support studio same with Japan Studio and both teams put out many games while still supporting other studios and projects.

That isn't really an either or. So I'm sure they are helping out on projects, but from their own mouths, they are working on an original project.

Unless it was cancelled or you have information stating otherwise, I'd love to see a link to that.

Right now, who knows when that game will be announced, but I doubt it will be this year.

Also, please stop with this "they don't have enough" for this or that, sir....that was before they were purchased by Sony, teams grow, things change and clearly this team is ready to move on, so I can't judge them based on what they did in the past if they are factually growing, bought by Sony and telling me they are doing an original game lol

Fuck am I suppose to say to them? Be like "Um no Bluepoint, you are not doing that, you don't have enough team members and LinkedIn shows you worked on God Of War port, dats YO JOB BRUV" lol
Original content = working as support team in new games instead of making remakes or remasters

As we 100% know they did in GoWR. That was the new project he was talking about there, because we know their whole studio was worked on it as seen in the game credits and the LinkedIn of many of their workers.

They never said to be working on a new game leaded by them. They can't be working leading a AAA game because they are only 75 people as were during GoWR and more importantly, only have a handful game designers (ok for a remasters/remakes/support team) instead of the whole game design department needed to lead a AAA project.

I think they will continue working on a few new games as support team and later in the road will grow to lead their own AAA games, but not now.

State of Play for games releasing later this year most likely. SOP will be announced next week. It makes a lot more sense to have a Showcase in September/Oct to show off Sony's big first party games alongside the PS5 Pro
There's no reason to make a Showcase or specific game announcements for the Pro.

Makes more sense to make the typical Showcase in June and a month or two before its release, to make a blog post to announce the PS5 Pro with a few comparision videos. Or maybe to include the announcement and comparisions as part of their TGS State of Play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom