• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Saulnier joins True Detective Season 3, officially greenlighted by HBO

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
[Deadline]

8XNAuff.jpg

HBO has officially greenlighted a third season of Nic Pizzolatto's crime anthology series True Detective. The pickup was considered a formality after the network earlier this summer closed a deal with Oscar winner Mahershala Ali to star in the new installment, with the green light contingent on locking in a director. Jeremy Saulnier has now been set as a Season 3 director alongside Pizzolatto who will make his directorial debut on the series.

Alright, if HBO really has a tighter leash on Pizzolatto, Mahershala Ali is starring and Saulnier is directing some portion of the season...

Season 3 of True Detective will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks, and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods. Ali will play the lead role of Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.
I don't want to give up my hopes, but damn. they got my attention fully now.

[Deadline]

Alright, if HBO really has a tighter leash on Pizzolatto, Mahershala Ali is starring and Saulnier is directing some portion of the season...

I don't want to give up my hopes, but damn. they got my attention fully now.

Pizzolatto let season 2 happen, so they decided to put him behind the director's chair? Give the whole thing to Saulnier. In fact, let him write it too.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Pizzolatto let season 2 happen, so they decided to put him behind the director's chair? Give the whole thing to Saulnier. In fact, let him write it too.

no argument from me. I hope Saulnier has a super strong backbone and can buck heads creatively with pizzolato and assert himself.

jond76

Banned
Great fit. For those who aren't familiar, watch Blue Ruin and Green Room then feel free to get hype :)

Mifune

Mehmber
Wasn't David Milch gonna be involved with this or was that some awesome dream I had?

EDIT: I see he co-wrote one episode. Yay?

Moppeh

Banned
I dunno about Pizzaman directing but the rest sounds pretty good. I'm going to keep me hopes as low as possible though.

Gotdamn

It's lit

Jmon

All my money

HYPE

So they are literally remaking Season 1?
Sounds a bit like if yeah, I'm guessing that's on purpose to get people back on board after the S2 civil conspiracy misfire.

Ain't no one wanna see depressing stories about dudes out to kill eachother over government red tape.

Dysun

Willing to give it a shot and hope that Season 2's rushed production had a bigger effect than anticipated.

Maridia

That plot already sounds a lot better than Season 2. Please don't be a fuck up again.

Yeah, season 2 started out as a Lovecraftian mystery about city planning and turned into something else entirely in the course of less than a year. I've noticed that HBO has been allowing their creatives a lot longer between seasons since then.

Everything about season 3 sounds magical, so far.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
True Detective Renewed for Ozarks-Set, Mahershala Ali-Led Season 3

The premium cabler has formally renewed Nic Pizzolatto’s crime anthology for a third season, with Oscar winner Mahershala Ali set to star.

“The next installment tells the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks, and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods,” reads the logline. HBO also revealed that Ali will be playing Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

The multiple-timeline conceit suggests Pizzolatto — who HBO notes is the sole writer of Season 3, with the exception of Episode 4 which he co-wrote with Deadwood’s David Milch — will more closely resemble the series’ acclaimed first season (versus the much-maligned second).

Willing to give it a shot and hope that Season 2's rushed production had a bigger effect than anticipated.

This seems likely to me. The fact that Pizzaman was given so little time to pen a script that could reproduce Season 1's magic was a recipe for disaster.

jett

D-Member
HBO must not have gotten the memo that there's already a (quality) crime drama set in the Ozarks.

It's called Ozark, ffs.

Pizzolatto being the sole writer means I'm giving this fucking thing a single episode. If it sucks, I pity the fools that sticks with this hack for the entire season.

HBO must not have gotten the memo that there's already a (quality) crime drama set in the Ozarks.

It's called Ozark, ffs.

Pizzolatto being the sole writer means I'm giving this fucking thing a single episode. If it sucks, I pity the fools that sticks with this hack for the entire season.

Haha, I doubt Ozark was even a blip on the radar when they began work on this.

I'll give this a shot. Season 1 was great while Season 2 was the epitome of wasted potential.

Fletcher

Jeremy Saulnier is on board to direct some episodes (Blue Ruin, Green Room). I'm suddenly interested in a new season of True Detective.

Dabanton

After the tepid response I avoided season 2. Didn't want to ruin season 1.

This sounds solid. I think they'll get back on track.

gforguava

"Pizzolatto who will make his directorial debut on the series."

What I wouldn't give for those 10 words to get erased from existence.

I wonder what's rewatching S1 like after suffering through S2. Would I notice all kinds of awful dialogue that I didn't pick up on before?

I've rewatched it and it is still great. The problem with season 2 is that everyone is Cole and he doubled down on the thesaurus. There's no one to ground us.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I need them to add an actor named Stan something so I can post "Stan was a good man!"

Don't deny me this, Pizza!!!

Fletcher

It was pretty funny when they released the synopsis for season 2 and it sounded like a boring show. Turned out it was really boring.

Kayhan

This will either be the greatest thing since True Detective Season 1 or the worst thing since True Detective Season 2.

Realistically, there is a chance this will be so bad that it opens a rift in time and space.

karasu

This will bring me back. Pizzapie. I regret going back to finish the second season like a mf. It was offensively bad. Like pluck your own eyes out bad.

Top Bottom