• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Saulnier joins True Detective Season 3, officially greenlighted by HBO

eae9c052a8afd3b919839bdaeaf2d564--true-detective-quotes-true-detectives.jpg

dmshaposv

Cant deal with pizzalattos self-indulgent crap writing.

I like S1 for the actors, fukananja's direction and the atmosphere. I doubt we have anything like that going in for S3 (maybe actor in Ali).

gforguava

Never understood why the "Never do anything out of hunger..." one got singled out, that is actually some good hard boiled speak. The rest though, oh boy.

"...prefiguring Caspere, in a causal sense?" is an all timer.

Emarv

Jeremy Saulnier directing True Detective is like the most obvious great idea that I had never even considered.

So the guy who had significant disagreements with Fukunaga's utterly perfect direction of season 1 is directing (part of) season 3? Hopefully Saulnier can keep him in check...

Kayhan

Jeremy Saulnier directing True Detective is like the most obvious great idea that I had never even considered.

Won't mean a damn thing if the script is Season 2-tier.

The problem with Season 2 was the script - not direction, which was competent.

Andrew J.

You know how you know when you're too tired and need to go to bed? When you initially misread the thread title as referring to Malala Yousafzai.

(That would be an interesting season of television, though/)

Chuckled at the news that Milch helped write an episode. Most of the dialogue from season 2 of True Detective came across as being written by a first year Lit major doing their best Deadwood impression.

Excited for this. Both Saulnier and Ali are fantastic.

and even then it has this weird charm to it. Like he was a bit (or a lot) of a nut. Vince Vaughn was just confusing.
He wanted to make Vince come across as a guy who was self taught for a lot of things and is always eager to show how smart he is to show how far he's come from being a poor and abused child but Colin's character says almost as much dumb shit and there's no levity in the show practically. Everyone is always grimacing and angry.

dmshaposv

God damn, its like pizzalotto discovered a thesaurus for the first time and made every line of dialogue needlessly obtuse...

mm04

Thank goodness they're back in rural America. There is absolutely no mystery to California (at least the parts depicted) and mystery was such a great part about Season 1. I have lived here most of my life and when it was announced it was going to be in California, my interest dwindled. The location alone has me excited. Now that the other parts are falling into place, this has potential to return to greatness.

I'm really sad Milch only has one credit, I mean I'll take it but it probably would have helped to have him on the whole season.

I bet they wanted to kill eachother tho

Thank goodness they're back in rural America. There is absolutely no mystery to California (at least the parts depicted) and mystery was such a great part about Season 1. I have lived here most of my life and when it was announced it was going to be in California, my interest dwindled. The location alone has me excited. Now that the other parts are falling into place, this has potential to return to greatness.

the location had zero to do with S2's issues. There is plenty of great noir to pull from in a big city setting (it's practically a genre staple). S2 just didn't pull it off.

jett

D-Member
The dialogue in S2 is just embarrassing. You have to be really full of yourself and out of your mind do write that tripe and I think "Yeah that's some good stuff."

I've rewatched it and it is still great. The problem with season 2 is that everyone is Cole and he doubled down on the thesaurus. There's no one to ground us.

I think you definitely appreciate Woody's no-BS attitude more.

Nah, it's still great. Only Rust speaks like a nut.

I definitely need to give TD S1 a rewatch.

big ander

I don't even love saulnier's work like most but that's usually due to the writing. Him directing this with Ali in the lead, whew. Not gonna get my hopes up too much but...whew.

Maridia

He wanted to make Vince come across as a guy who was self taught for a lot of things and is always eager to show how smart he is to show how far he's come from being a poor and abused child but Colin's character says almost as much dumb shit and there's no levity in the show practically. Everyone is always grimacing and angry.

Exactly. He's like the walking embodiment of the Peter Principle. He's this violent street tough who suddenly finds himself in a management position that he's totally unequipped to handle, and he tries to compensate by putting on airs. It's a good idea, but the script is more overwrought than it needs to be, and the actor and directors don't seem to have fully understood it.

Emarv

Season 1 script had a ton of unnecessary indulgences that Fukunaga overcame with sheer talent (and probably some choice script editing).

The same could happen here if they can rein in Pizzaman's more ridiculous hangups and let the other talented people do their thing.

Foggy

The dialogue in S2 is just embarrassing. You have to be really full of yourself and out of your mind do write that tripe and I think "Yeah that's some good stuff."

I definitely need to give TD S1 a rewatch.

Rewatching now and it's as excellent as it's ever been. Pizzolato's not the first artist to receive an avalanche of praise and in turn make something embarrassingly self-indulgent using his success for any justification in the creative process. We'll find out soon enough which season is more emblematic of his talent.

People wouldn't of payed more than two shits had Fukanaga not knocked it out of the park with his directing.

Admittedly Carey had a better script to work with, but the script is still a whole bunch of familiar cliche brought to life by a director who knew how to make it sing.

That's not to take away from TD Season 1. It's really fucking great. It's just I doubt we would've been remarking on how good it was if Fukanaga was not behind the helm.

Given that Saulnier's record is insane, I think there's reason to hope.

Would be happier to know he was on board to direct the whole season. Would be nice to get a singular director vision ala Season 1.

I'm still going to wait for at least reviews, if not the full season, before I consider watching but yeah, this is already making me a bit confident it won't be another historic disaster

Mistle

lol at Season 2

[IMG.]http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/30/640x320/landscape_1.jpg[/IMG]

[I.MG]http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/30/640x426/gallery_5.jpg[/IMG]

[I.MG]http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/30/640x424/gallery_7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG.]http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/30/640x426/gallery_8.jpg[/IMG]

[IM.G]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/aa/be/aa/aabeaa7ea72529cb2d6c62dfca6f2c70--vince-vaughn-true-detective.jpg[/IMG]
Lmao these still crack me up after all this time

He should direct the whole season

Would be happier to know he was on board to direct the whole season. Would be nice to get a singular director vision ala Season 1.

Exactly. The Knick, season 1 of TD, Twin Peaks: The return

It's the best way to go. I don't know why they just signed him on for a few

The writing in season 1 was terrible too. It just had better performances.

Nah. Writing in Season 1 was good.

And again, Pizzaman is great.

I don't know any one person outside of a coked-up Aaron Sorkin that could punch out 8-10 hours of quality television by themselves in less than a year.

The first season was cooking with Pizzoloto for 7-8 years.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I couldn't even finish season 2. I'll give the new season a shot, I guess. Meh...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Is he directing the full season? It kinda sounds like he is but it's also not 100% clear. I'd hope he does since Green Room and Blue Ruin are both fantastic.
The writing in season 1 was terrible too. It just had better performances.

I cannot abide this, the writing in season 1 was fantastic. That show has some of my favorite lines ever spoken on TV.

Exactly. He's like the walking embodiment of the Peter Principle. He's this violent street tough who suddenly finds himself in a management position that he's totally unequipped to handle, and he tries to compensate by putting on airs. It's a good idea, but the script is more overwrought than it needs to be, and the actor and directors don't seem to have fully understood it.
Yeah it doesn't come across too well in the show, I actually only fully picked up on it after I read that interview and then it all clicked, that's why this guy sounds like he's trying so hard lol. Truth be told I've known some people like that too.

I don't know any one person outside of a coked-up Aaron Sorkin that could punch out 8-10 hours of quality television by themselves in less than a year.

Which makes me still kinda worried for this. He had a while since S2, but who knows how much of that was him licking his wounds and how much of that was writing? I'd feel more comfortable if he at least had a small writers room set up or someone else he bounced ideas off of, that's actually what I thought Milch and another (?) writer where brought on to do but apparently that only added up to one episode. I agree with you that cliches or alleged plagiarism aside, S1 was good writing though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Pizzaman + David Milch is making me think the writing will be as good, if not better, than the first season 1.

Dude Abides

Banned

I guess we agree to some degree. The writing was like something a coked out Aaron Sorkin might write if he was a college sophomore majoring in philosophy and getting a B minus.

NYR

S2 was pure garbage, no way I'm wasting my time on this, will wait until the season is over and see if it is good and binge on HBO GO if it's back to being a 90% RT show.

Wonder if Pizza man is gonna stop teasing the occult and weird shit if he not gonna deliver on it. Logline sounds like he's gonna be using that kinda creepiness again but it might just be window dressing again.

Personally, I don't ever want detectives chasing legit ghosts and werewolves or something but there's plenty of fucked up shit people do.

lol at Season 2

landscape_1.jpg

gallery_5.jpg

gallery_7.jpg

gallery_8.jpg

aabeaa7ea72529cb2d6c62dfca6f2c70--vince-vaughn-true-detective.jpg

I think this would have been perfect if only Frank had these kinds of lines. His dialogue is only bad because all of the dialogue sounds like that. It's no longer character flavor.

But in S2's defense, S1 had moments like these too, where Marty or Maggie would say some awkward unnatural shit.

Also, S2's finale was arguably better than S1's. I really loved
how everything came tumbling down
, although
the last few minutes with the baby was a million times worse than Rust and Marty outside the hospital.

Top Bottom