• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Saulnier joins True Detective Season 3, officially greenlighted by HBO

I think this would have been perfect if only Frank had these kinds of lines. His dialogue is only bad because all of the dialogue sounds like that. It's no longer character flavor.

But in S2's defense, S1 had moments like these too, where Marty or Maggie would say some awkward unnatural shit.

Also, S2's finale was arguably better than S1's. I really loved
how everything came tumbling down
, although
the last few minutes with the baby was a million times worse than Rust and Marty outside the hospital.
I kinda dig how relentlessly bleak the finale was in retrospect, it's kind of a what-the-fuck moment to leave the only glimmer of hope be the reporter Ray beat the fuck out of to publish that story and get all those assholes arrested in the end. I feel like Pizzaman purposely went into the "everyone dies" hole though after some vocal people felt the S1 finale was too much of a optimistic tone after all that had happened.

Agreed. It had an embarrassingly bad finale.
Why about it didn't you like exactly?

blueballs_nsoffl.gif

This fucking guy. This is what happens when shitty actors get shitty lines. They can't even deliver it right.

The writing in season 1 was terrible too. It just had better performances.

yeah I think so too

matthew mcconaughey made season 1 and people were in thrall of the mcconaughassaince or whatever and now he's basically a parody of himself and "pizzaman" was too in season 2 ironically enough

He's a stock standard white trash caricature. Fucks sister? Check. Talks to body of dead parent? Check.

He was such a lazy and anticlimactic character to end the season with after building up so much mystique.

I mean, the entire season was about white trash, small communities with dodgy family trees, and disgusting sex crimes. Lawnmower guy, as a victim and perpetrator of this environment, was a perfect fit.

I mean, the entire season was about white trash, small communities with dodgy family trees, and disgusting sex crimes. Lawnmower guy, as a victim and perpetrator of this environment, was a perfect fit.

The broad strokes of the character are fine, the actual guy we got on screen seemed better suited for RE7.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ozarks? The fuck are the odds of 2 crime shows in the Ozarks all of a sudden lol

SMattera

Season 1 was so good he deserves another chance.

Season 2 felt like a really rough draft. There was some potential there, it just needed some rewrites.

Monocle

Weirdly enough, I don't think Rust speaks like a nut at all. I've said similar things over the years. He's just too smart for his own good.
No that's how people talk when they're dazzled by their own cleverness with words and think convoluted speech sounds smart. I've been there.

As some other gaffer said at a previous thread, this is how dumb people think smart people talk.
This is exactly right.

Shit if Saulnier was taking on the role and responsibilities that Fukunaga has in season 1 that would be so exciting. To be fair, its already super exciting that hes involved and its not all up to Pizzaman.

Maridia

As some other gaffer said at a previous thread, this is how dumb people think smart people talk.

S1 was one of my favourite shows ever, but everything I've read about S2 makes me wince.

But "how dumb people think smart people talk" is exactly what it's supposed to be (for the Vince Vaughn lines, anyway).

I actually don't think it's very well done, but, simultaneously, it's kinda amazing that you immediately gleaned that from the samples provided.

Acidote

As an European ignorant of the U.S. locations outside of state and big citie names, what are the Ozarks and what is interesting about them? Never heard about it. I don't know what to expect.

CornDogg

That's a fantastic pick

And two new shows in the Ozarks? Tax incentives or something?

Ozarks? The fuck are the odds of 2 crime shows in the Ozarks all of a sudden lol

That new hotness. Probably will still be filmed in Georgia.

Set in the Ozarks aka north Georgia.

Yep. This. Lol.

Ozarks huh.. hope Jason Bateman cameos

As an European ignorant of the U.S. locations outside of state and big citie names, what are the Ozarks and what is interesting about them? Never heard about it. I don't know what to expect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozarks

The Ozarks region encompasses a large swath of southern Missouri and northern Arkansas. I believe the Bateman series is supposed to be the Lake of the Ozarks (though it was mostly filmed in Georgia for those lovely tax incentives), which is in central Missouri, whereas it sounds like this will be set in the Arkansas area.

As for what makes the Ozarks interesting, I think it's just been an area largely ignored by film and television. Before this, I think there was Winter's Bone and that might be it. So just somewhere different, I guess.

gun_haver

I'll watch it for Jeremy Saulnier. It's a shame he isn't in full control, like another poster said, he could be working on his next movie if this is going to be watered down with Nic Pizzolato, but you never know, could turn out to be good anyway.

Sounds good as long as he has control over the project.

Won't mean a damn thing if the script is Season 2-tier.

The problem with Season 2 was the script - not direction, which was competent.

Put Fukunaga/Arkapaw with Mcconaughey and Woody in season 2 and you would see a vastly different product. One much more tolerable and more restrained in Pizzolato redundant tangents, an issue you can see all over season 1 too.

Then put Vaughn/Kitsch leading season 1 with the directors of 2 and start weeping.

I'm down for this!

Series one was exceptional and I feel series two gets a lots of undeserved hate but it wasnt up to the standards of the first one.

Got a good feeling about series three!

S1 was one of my favourite shows ever, but everything I've read about S2 makes me wince.

S2 is how dumb people think smart people talk ... and when the actors are not beloved.

The S1 script with the same actors as S2 would have been even worse. 98% of the entire first season was more or less awful.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I honestly don't understand the hate for S1.

It was extremely well directed, well acted, well produced and for the most part, well written*. I understand the tone may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it was a damn fine show.

*the only implausible thing about it was Marty (Woody Harrelson) pulling that kind of tail.

smisk

Holy fuck, Green Room and Blue Ruin are incredible, so this could be great. Hopefully they give him enough creative control.

I gave up on S2 before the last two episodes.. Always wondered if it's worth trying to go back and rewatch.

It was extremely well directed, well acted, well produced and for the most part, well written*. I understand the tone may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it was a damn fine show.

*the only implausible thing about it was Marty (Woody Harrelson) pulling that kind of tail.

I think Marty pulling that kind of tail kind of stands by itself as good enough reason.

I'd argue the writing wasn't particularly good. Just listen to any speech by Cohle and imagine VV saying the same things. Yeah.

But more than that the problem is the pacing. Count the number of episodes where basically nothing at all happens. There are 6 of them and the ending wasn't particularly interesting either, more or less coming out of nowhere because nothing had happened since episode 4.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
season 1 has one of the best monologues i've ever heard in a tv show. if i ever have to go to an audition and do a monologue i'm doing that "locked room" monologue that rust gives in the third or fourth episode.

Ross61

I think Marty pulling that kind of tail kind of stands by itself as good enough reason.

I'd argue the writing wasn't particularly good. Just listen to any speech by Cohle and imagine VV saying the same things. Yeah.

But more than that the problem is the pacing. Count the number of episodes where basically nothing at all happens. There are 6 of them and the ending wasn't particularly interesting either, more or less coming out of nowhere because nothing had happened since episode 4.
Doesn't who saying it really the only thing that matters?

Solo

Guaranteed this is going to be amazing ad a return to form. Pizzaman shat out S2 in less than a year. S1 was brewing for like 5 years. He'll have had 3-4 years into S3 when it hits.

He's going to stick this landing. Can't wait.

g11

Probably mostly people disappointed by the finale. It still boggles my mind that anybody actually thought that story was going to end with Yog Sothoth descending from the heavens or whatever Lovecraftian nonsense they expected. It went down pretty much exactly as I always knew it would so I wasn't disappointed, apart from Billy Lee Tuttle dying off-screen under what I still consider questionable circumstances. The Lovecraft shit is great for giving the tapestry a little panache but you can't make it the centerpiece of any serious story these days. It's too ridiculous.

S2 while bad was still more entertaining than most TV shows. I welcome another season, even if its as bad as S2 (although please be better).

Gattsu25

Banned
Wait.

Hold the fucking phone.

Hold up.

They nabbed the director of Green Room and Blue Ruin????

Jesus Christ. I wasn't ready for that. The writing this season better be amazing because Saulnier is an amazing director.

Solo

The way I see it is HBO knows as well as we do that S2 was garbage. And at the time it seemingly killed the franchise.

So Pizzaman's scripts for S3 must have been damn good to change HBO's mind on axing the series. Or you could be cynical and say that they're hurting in a big way from the impending loss of GoT and are trying to compensate with a 1-2 punch of Westworld and True Detective to capture that audience.

But I'm taking the optimistic approach that HBO loved what they saw and couldn't not make it.

Top Bottom