• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Saulnier joins True Detective Season 3, officially greenlighted by HBO

Javier23

Banned
I don't think I have it in me to stand anything else written by Pizzolatto. A shame this isn't both written and directed by Saulnier. But as it is, having Nick BOTH writing and directing at times gets a big NOPE from me.
Weirdly enough, I don't think Rust speaks like a nut at all. I've said similar things over the years. He's just too smart for his own good.
r/iamverysmart

Don'r worry, you'd get along with Pizzaman. You're not entirely alone in the cold vast expanse of the universe.

I don't have high expectations, but I'll certainly give it a shot. I'm not familiar with Saulnier, so I don't know what he's bringing to the table.

I was looking for info on David Milch's involvement this morning:
Deadline said:
Like with the breakout original installment of True Detective, which Pizzolatto wrote by himself, he is the sole writer of the third season with the exception of episode 4 which he co-wrote with David Milch. (Milch had been helping on the show as part of his overall deal at HBO.) The exact episode count of Season 3 is still TBD as Pizzolatto is still writing; as of a month ago, five scripts had been completed. The first two seasons consisted of 8 episodes each.

I'll put them in my movie backlog, which is admittedly pretty long at this point. Which should I see if I only watch one of them?
I'd say Green Room, but Blue Ruin is also worth checking out. The former is a lean brutal grimy claustrophobic thriller, the latter is a (more) realistic revenge thriller that subverts the genre by focusing on the aftermath and consequences of getting revenge more than committing revenge like in most movies

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ok, I'm interested now. Wish Saulnier was helping with writing duties too.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'd say Green Room, but Blue Ruin is also worth checking out. The former is a lean brutal grimy claustrophobic thriller, the latter is a (more) realistic revenge thriller that subverts the genre by focusing on the aftermath and consequences of getting revenge more than committing revenge like in most movies

There are some smart people on GAF.

CGwizz

I like season 2 and season 1 is in my top 3 tv shows ever.

Fucking hell, i love that actor. When he died in luke cage that show SUCKED, he was the only good thing about that show.

I cant fucking wait for this.

Solo

So what's thew timeline for this? There's no GoT in 2018, and while it hasn't been confirmed, smart money is on Westworld S2 sliding into GoT's old April slot. 10 episodes of that gets you into June. So likely between July and September 2018? Would sound reasonable with 5/8 scripts, a director and a star locked in so far.

Fhtagn

Season two was so spectacularly bad that I found it totally fascinating to watch even if it was clearly awful. It was bad in a way I had never seen before.

Green Room and Blue Ruin are two of my favorite films of the last ten years, so this is a good pick, hopefully the script is better this season!

Kalor

I'm not optimistic but I'll check it out at least. Season 1 wasn't perfect but it did well at building up an interesting mystery and atmosphere. Weird that they're skipping right to season 3 though.

So what's thew timeline for this? There's no GoT in 2018, and while it hasn't been confirmed, smart money is on Westworld S2 sliding into GoT's old April slot. 10 episodes of that gets you into June. So likely between July and September 2018? Would sound reasonable with 5/8 scripts, a director and a star locked in so far.
GoT is likely slipping to 2019, so they have a lot of real estate to work with. Your math sounds about right, maybe they'll air this in the Summer and then put S2 of The Deuce in the Fall with Westworld in the Spring.

I'll put them in my movie backlog, which is admittedly pretty long at this point. Which should I see if I only watch one of them?

If you're in the mood for a claustrophobic bit of ultraviolent catharsis, Green Room.

If you're in the mood for a bit of ultra depressing violence meditation, Blue Ruin.

Blue Ruin is the better movie, but I enjoy watching Green Room far more.

EDIT: He also did "Murder Party" which is an oddball bizarre horror-comedy/art school parody. The jokes are pretty broad, but it's still enjoyable. Just don't go expecting something on the level of his latter works.

Nic Pizzolatto is not a one hit wonder guys read his book Gaveleston it was really good he just went too far up his own ass with season 2.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Pizzolatto got his MFA at The University of Arkansas and should have a strong sense of that region and its inhabitants

Sounds pretty good

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Probably mostly people disappointed by the finale. It still boggles my mind that anybody actually thought that story was going to end with Yog Sothoth descending from the heavens or whatever Lovecraftian nonsense they expected. It went down pretty much exactly as I always knew it would so I wasn't disappointed, apart from Billy Lee Tuttle dying off-screen under what I still consider questionable circumstances. The Lovecraft shit is great for giving the tapestry a little panache but you can't make it the centerpiece of any serious story these days. It's too ridiculous.

Yeah, there wasn't anything actually supernatural in Season 1. There are only hints at it because they're chasing religious cult members.

Personally I'd say Green Room first because its subject is incredibly topical right now (more than when it was made) and could almost be considered...cathartic?

g11

gallery_5.jpg

To be fair the character that says that line is the type of hippie pseudo-therapist that would say shit like that.

h1nch

"Everything is fucking."

As lame as TD season 2 was, it did give me one of my fav dumb lines ever.

If the trailers for s03 look promising I'll probably give it a shot.

shira

Is there any reason to go back and finish season 2? Think I made it through 2 episodes when it was on.
Nah. The ending was like pizza man shitting on the table and Vince Vaughn sticking his face in the shit and making motorboat bubbles.

None of the buildup makes sense, nobody cares. It's the very definition of trainwreck

Blader

That seems like a tight turnaround for TD, especially if all the scripts aren't even in yet.

I'd say Westworld in April - June, TD in fall/early winter, and GoT in January '19.

edit: though now that I look it up, seems like TD S2 started shooting in November '14 and premiered the following June, so maybe taking GoT's summer slot from this year would work after all.

Bebpo

Banned

Green Room.

Blue Ruin is too bleak and destroys your will to live. Green Room is bleak but Blue Ruin is on a whole different level.

They're both excellent films.

The great white-anaconda line is pretty funny still lol, if only cuz that character delivering it was funny in general. He was the quintessential henchman lmao. Only one from Frank's crew who I think made it out alive too.

And man, dumb dialogue aside, seeing all these gifs and pics reminds me of how cool they made the main cast in S2 look. It was almost too much, they needed a period at the end where they looked run down and haggard like Marty and Rust with the dad bods and dead rat wigs.

Top Bottom