• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jill Stein Launches Fundraising Effort To Ask For A Recount In 3 States

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jill Stein once said that she would rather fight racism from a Trump Presidency than whatever Hillary would do.

You know, this white lady doctor, would rather face a world of racism...

neshcom

Banned
What is the money actually for, though? And this is kind of sktech:

If we do not raise enough for any recount (which is highly unlikely) we pledge to use the money for election integrity efforts and to promote systemic voting system reform.

aka "I'm keeping it"?

What is the money actually for, though? And this is kind of sktech:

aka "I'm keeping it"?

40Lnu7a.gif

Zapages

If the recount shows Hillary has won.... There would be no words can describe the world's sigh of relief.

Who I am I kidding on this. >_> That won't happen. :( Welcome to the dark/worst time line. :|

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This is honestly one of the most cynical cashgrabs I have ever seen.

maybe

maybe not.

since she's part of a party, she's in a damn good position to challenge the results and as a by-product will be sheltering hillary clinton.

it's worth a shot.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm not well-versed in the subject of recounts, but I was curious about how any of this would work since the fundraiser is not huge on details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_recount

Each jurisdiction has different criteria for optional recounts. Some areas permit recounts for any office or measure, while others require that the margin of victory be less than a certain percentage before a recount is allowed. In all instances, optional recounts are paid for by the candidate, their political party, or, in some instances, by any interested voter. The person paying for the recount has the option to stop the recount at any time. If the recount reverses the election, the jurisdiction will then pay for the recount.

Okay, so it depends on state regulations, but depending on the rules, an interested party with sufficient cash on-hand could initiate a recount before the deadline.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-vote-recount-michigan-pennsylvania-wisconsin

According to people involved, activists had previously urged Jill Stein, the Green party presidential candidate, to use rules in some states allowing any candidate on the ballot to request a review of the result. Stein is understood to have declined, citing in part a lack of party funds that would be required to finance such a move.

Halderman, the University of Michigan computer security expert, noted that this Friday is the deadline for requesting a recount in Wisconsin, where Trump’s winning margin stands at 0.7%. In Pennsylvania, where his margin is 1.2%, the deadline falls on Monday. In Michigan, where the Trump lead is currently just 0.3%, the deadline is Wednesday 30 November.

Seems like the states in question would allow for it, and the costs are out of pocket so -- on paper -- this fundraiser appears legitimate.

Clinton: Eh I don't think it's a good idea
Jill Stein (hastily running into room, having just done a line): LET'S GOFUNDME THIS BITCH

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Do you care to explain or just throwout general insults?

You're funding this when if there were truly evidence of this it should be their job anyway. Instead you're blindly buying into a conspiracy that some criminal mastermind magically hacked into an offline system. On top of that the very source that started the conspiracy flat out says it has no actual evidence of hacking, and multiple pundits including Nate silver have completely ripped the idea.

Edit-. What also bugs me is the confirmation bias that since it's the right wing it must be a conspiracy! But when people cried it was fixed from the right, the same people donating to this called them nuts.

As I've said before I'm left, but the bias on both sides is nauseating.

Joe

Just so you know, if the goal isn't reached the money will go to the recounts they can afford and the rest go into "election integrity efforts".

http://theincline.com/2016/11/23/pe...s-jill-stein-launches-2-5-million-fundraiser/
Cobb said the goal is to raise enough money to demand recounts in all three states. But, he added, if they only raise enough money for recounts in one state or two states, that’s what they’ll move forward with. If they don’t raise enough money for any recounts, Cobb said the money would be used for “election integrity efforts.”

literally monetizing off the hopes and dreams of people in denial.

damn.

this girl is smart.
More like getting a legitimate email list of engaged, disgruntled, and charitable citizens for a fraction of the cost.

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with that, it's actually pretty smart of her and her campaign to capitalize.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
literally monetizing off the hopes and dreams of people in denial.

damn.

this girl is smart.

This is precisely what it is and the people buying into are the same ones who mock others for being so short-sighted.

kirblar

Fundraiser's definitely legit- the annoying part is that the leftover funds go to funding...Jill Stein and the Green Party.

You're(1) funding this when if there were truly evidence of this it should be their job anyway(2). Instead you're(3) blindly buying into a conspiracy that some criminal mastermind magically hacked into an offline system(4). On top of that the very source that started the conspiracy flat out says it has no actual evidence of hacking, and multiple pundits including Nate silver have completely ripped the idea.

1. I'm not
2. "Should" but don't so why does it matter what they should do?
3. Once again, I'm not
4. Let them or is blindly believing this and funding to result in a recount the same as people blindly believing that climate control isn't real?

Seriously if there is a recount and the same results happen then what? Nothing. Let people throw their money at whatever they want especially when there is not a net negative situation.

I donated, not much but if it has a chance to stop climate change deniers from seizing power then it is in the world's best interest to try. Seriously, there's no hyperbole there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom