• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jill Stein Launches Fundraising Effort To Ask For A Recount In 3 States

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
How is the financing here going to work? What I mean is: the deadline for Wisconsin is in two days right? When does nationbuilder.com release the funds to whoever is running the fundraiser? Will it be in time to file?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
1. I'm not
2. "Should" but don't so why does it matter what they should do?
3. Once again, I'm not
4. Let them or is blindly believing this and funding to result in a recount the same as people blindly believing that climate control isn't real?

No I'm comparing it to people jumping down others throats when they mention Clinton possibly being corrupt or influencing people with money.

Again the source of all of this openly says their is 0 evidence to support this. Multiple VERY smart pundits who do this for a living have already explained why the anamoly makes sense based on demographics. Yes it's a massive conspiracy to say the Russians hacked into our voting system to rig the election when all the signs were there for a Clinton loss as possible anyways.

I didn't mean to use you specifically, that's my fault, but I assumed you were buying into this. You're better off giving your money to something that can actually help people, rather than this phony person who can't make up her mind on who she would rather have in office. Shes very clearly preying on people's emotions here. Foolish to believe... Beyond foolish to think it'll make a difference.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Can you prove these are the same people? Otherwise you are kind of lashing out needlessly here.

Ah yes GAF is one hive mind I see. You really should take a moment.

I'm not referring to gaf, I'm referring to a large majority of people to the left who were criticising Trump supporters for saying they would question the outcome.

Edit- also I find the flip on Jill stein funny. She was absolutely toxic this election and people pointed it out. Now we're giving her money for what purpose? A faux hail Mary?

If this is indeed true, why would they not publicize this enough that you get a crap load of celebrities to donate like 10K each.

Seems like there would be enough interest in Hollywood alone for this.

StarVigil

tumblr_m9mr1bDBbO1rz5ny3o1_500.gif

I'm not referring to gaf, I'm referring to a large majority of people to the left who were criticising Trump supporters for saying they would question the outcome.

Edit- also I find the flip on Jill stein funny. She was absolutely toxic this election and people pointed it out. Now we're giving her money for what purpose? A faux hail Mary?

This is more akin to when you catch the kickoff and then lateral it to everybody

Dirca

Clinton conceded, it's over. She could've demanded a recount prior to concession, but she accepted the loss. Stein is wasting people's time and money and giving them ridiculously false hope

With a recount? It would get ugly. Civil unrest ugly.

Which would boggle my mind. I can't believe there are people in this country who would go to war with their own countrymen to back a false President that was put into office by Russia.

If a recount shows hacking and that Hillary won, Trump supporters better take the L and back down.

Which is worse? Being a hypocrite or letting actual fascist gain power?

RPGCrazied

MSNBC might talk about it now. I have the channel on, talking about a recount with a certain ally This could be it. Commercials.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Which is worse? Being a hypocrite or letting actual fascist gain power?

The problem is you're assuming this has a chance to stop Trump. The recounts will do nothing, there was no mystery hacker. I'll believe otherwise when there is actual evidence, not wishful thinking. That's doubly so coming from stein who essentially endorsed Trump a few days before the election. What is her actual motivation? It's pretty clear imo.

Edit-. I also want to be clear here, I feel for the people who are buying into this. It's great to want to make change and take action, but donating money to this nut is not the answer. There is likely no outcome where we keep Trump out of the whitehouse. Let's just hope he only gets to appoint one justice and the damage is minimal.

Wilsongt

I say go for it. Bernie raised a lot of money via small donations. If his supporters who funded him want to donate a small amount to a recount, then let it happen.

The outcome might not change, so I am not going to get my hopes up at al.

If this passes, say, 750k, then a recount in one state will happen as they'd have the money to request it. If irregularities were found, then I'd expect the DNC would fund further recounts.

Even if they found nothing, it would probably make people feel a little happier about the result - "ok, so at least there was no funny business - Trump was honestly elected."

danm999

The problem is you're assuming this has a chance to stop Trump. The recounts will do nothing, there was no mystery hacker. I'll believe otherwise when there is actual evidence, not wishful thinking. That's doubly so coming from stein who essentially endorsed Trump a few days before the election. What is her actual motivation? It's pretty clear imo.

Seems like Stein essentially made the same bad bet as plenty of other people; that Clinton would win easily, hence her noise about how Clinton's policies scared her more and that she'd rather be out fighting racism under a Trump admin and whatever else.

She figured Clinton was a shoe in and she could siphon off some votes from left of centre, because even if she ran spoiler it wouldn't be enough to cause Clinton to lose.

Of course she, like many other people, was dead wrong, and faces a Trump administration that appears set to gut anything resembling environmental regulation or climate change funding, so yeah I can see a little bit of hypocrisy from her, given even the Libertarian VP came around by the end and was pushing Clinton over Trump given the latter was an existential threat to democratic institutions.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Seems like Stein essentially made the same bad bet as plenty of other people; that Clinton would win easily, hence her noise about how Clinton's policies scared her more and that she'd rather be out fighting racism under a Trump admin and whatever else.

She figured Clinton was a shoe in and she could siphon off some votes from left of centre, because even if she ran spoiler it wouldn't be enough to cause Clinton to lose.

Of course she, like many other people, was dead wrong, and faces a Trump administration that appears set to gut anything resembling environmental regulation or climate change funding, so yeah I can see a little bit of hypocrisy from her, given even the Libertarian VP came around by the end and was pushing Clinton over Trump given the latter was an existential threat to democratic institutions.

I guess, but she shouldn't have done it in the first place. Now she's feeding off the fear and sadness of millions. It's to boost her own image and to make noise.

Samiad

Showing naivety here, but how is a recount going to be different from the first count? Is it going to be more thorough (if so, how and why?). It's not like the first count was only counting one vote in five and extrapolating.

Not that I expect anything to happen but... It's hard to imagine the crazier trump fanatics taking it quietly if it did turn out that Team Trump had rigged the election and Hilary ended up president.

can we get a brexit recount while we're at it...

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
is 2.5 million enough to contest votes in 3 states? seems kinda low
According to Steins people that's what they need for it.

In a video posted on Stein’s Facebook page Wednesday afternoon, her campaign manager, David Cobb, outlined the cost and deadlines to file for recounts in each state.

He said that about $1.1 million would be needed for a recount in Wisconsin, where the deadline is Friday; another $500,000 would be needed for Pennsylvania, where the deadline is Monday; and $600,000 more would be needed by Wednesday for a recount in Michigan.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ennsylvania/gmziuhamGOjDgYitbQpWSJ/story.html

Just jumped like 25K is less than five minutes. This'll be funded by this time tomorrow. I know it's an extreme long shot but I'd love to see the recount reveal that Hilary won, change the election result entirely and Hilary then becomes president-elect. Yes I realise this is an extremely unlikely scenario but it's interesting to observe the machinations happening behind the scenes connected to the vast majority of the planet being unhappy with Trump's win and actively trying to repair the damage and save Hilary.

I'll be observing this intently over the coming days. Hope the goal is easily reached by tomorrow as I suspect.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
While I'm all for making sure our elections are actually fair, I predict that this process will turn up nothing. But I'm glad the US has these kinds of options for checks in place.

Showing naivety here, but how is a recount going to be different from the first count? Is it going to be more thorough (if so, how and why?). It's not like the first count was only counting one vote in five and extrapolating.

That's a good question. Let's say something was wrong with the electronic voting machines. Is there anything that could be done?

Snake

This is a tacit admission that, yes, voting for Hillary Clinton was an entirely acceptable compromise in order to deny Trump the presidency. All the rhetoric about not being liberal or left-wing enough was completely hollow. The opportunity to take the Supreme Court is gone for another generation. The harsh reality that Hillary Clinton would have continued and expanded many actively bad policies is nothing compared to the harsh reality of a Trump (or any Republican) presidency under current political conditions.

But of course it's an actual "too little, too late" situation. Left-wing protest voters, non-voters, and "anti-establishment" voters blew it. I feel bad for them as much as anyone. They won't suffer any less than the rest of us will for their extremely poor decision.

What I can say in Stein's favor is that it's unlikely that she denied Pennsylvania's electoral votes to Hillary, and consequently cannot be singled out as having delivered the election to Trump. Maybe in an alternate universe where liberals actually understood how to effect change in our two-party system Hillary would have done better enough to win, but that's something we'll never see.

Makonero

Just jumped like 25K is less than five minutes. This'll be funded by this time tomorrow. I know it's an extreme long shot but I'd love to see the recount reveal Hilary won, change the election result entirely and Hilary then becomes president-elect. Yes I realise this is an extremely unlikely scenario but it's interesting to observe the machinations happening behind the scenes connected to the vast majority of the planet being unhappy with Trump's win and actively trying to repair the damage and boost Hilary.

I'll be observing this intently over the coming days. Hope the goal is easily reached by tomorrow as I suspect.

we have now entered the bargaining phase of grief

Edit-. I also want to be clear here, I feel for the people who are buying into this. It's great to want to make change and take action, but donating money to this nut is not the answer. There is likely no outcome where we keep Trump out of the white house. Let's just hope he only gets to appoint one justice and the damage is minimal.

Those are good and fair points. But you never know. I mean ... if the Republicans can sit there and cheat in peoples faces, why can't we all pull together and potentially turn this election around?

I don't have the tweet with me, but one of the officials handling the counts in a county in WI said how Trump's votes was off by a good 1600 (so far) due to "incorrect math." Not much, but that at least shows that something might be at least a little bit off. What if that turned out to be the case in 10 other areas?

Knoxcore

Which means, if she can get to $1.1 million by Friday she can request a recount in WI and hope to raise more for the Monday and Wednesday deadlines. All this won't matter if Clinton herself can request a recount, but I seriously doubt she is willing to do that. Even if a recount does not change the winner of the election, but can flip WI and MI to Clinton, it'll be worth it. Trump will be at 280EV and lose the popular vote by 2.5 million. He'll be President but a battered and beaten one at that.

WillyFive

Which means, if she can get to $1.1 million by Friday she can request a recount in WI and hope to raise more for the Monday and Wednesday deadlines. All this won't matter if Clinton herself can request a recount, but I seriously doubt she is willing to do that.

In order for this to go anywhere, the Clintons can't get near it; as it will be seen as bad news and change the narrative into something that will only propel Trump.

Ac30

Which means, if she can get to $1.1 million by Friday she can request a recount in WI and hope to raise more for the Monday and Wednesday deadlines. All this won't matter if Clinton herself can request a recount, but I seriously doubt she is willing to do that.

This is the best case scenario. Stein asks for the recount, nothing is found, everyone can slander Stein and the Dems get off scot-free. If something is found (by whatever miracle) and Hillary is in the whitehouse, Dems win. Win/win, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom