• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice League Official Heroes Trailer

jrush64

Banned

I love that Barry just looks happy to be there

DLuuggLX0AAo8tC.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Cyborg CG looks way better in that trailer than anything else so far. Damn near looks practical in that show above ^

Alienous

Batman wearing the batsuit without the cowl is always the greatest thing.

Also I've been hoping that Batman helps out Wonder Woman with the bank robbery as part of surprise visit to meet with Diana. Hopefully that's how that plays out, I can't tell if Bruce is watching the footage with Alfred.

Also I've been hoping that Batman helps out Wonder Woman with the bank robbery as a part of surprise visit to meet with Diana. Hopefully that's how that plays out, I can't tell if Bruce is watching the footage with Alfred.

Gotta have another Batman hostage rescue scene for sure. Those have always been great. With the last one in BvS being one of the best action sequences in the superhero genre imo

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

Also I've been hoping that Batman helps out Wonder Woman with the bank robbery as a part of surprise visit to meet with Diana. Hopefully that's how that plays out, I can't tell if Bruce is watching the footage with Alfred.
Ooo, I didn't even think about that. My first instinct was that he was just watching it after the fact after he hears Diana stopped it. But yeah, if they're working together and he gives her the heads up to go check it out, that would be dope as fuck.

J_Viper

They paid good money for Affleck's face so they're definitely gonna use it lol

It's a bit weird that we never see him speaking with the mask on in these trailers. I wonder if he's even using the voice mod anymore.

Kal1138

Neo Member
The trailer is available for download at TheDigitalTheater.com, for anyone interested. Also available in ProRes here (ignore the ultra HD the guy says), although it's a uptopbox.com link (pop-ups, ads, etc)

Gotta have another Batman hostage rescue scene for sure. Those have always been great. With the last one in BvS being one of the best action sequences in the superhero genre imo

I think the JL's warehouse scene will be Batman saving the kidnapped scientists from the parademons.

MisterHero

Double Toasted guys rips them to shreds

https://youtu.be/JLybDxL0Hqk

blush_smile.gif
I'm gonna watch the whole thing but they are wrong from the first second.

You really can't tell what Steppenwolf says?

Does anyone want to point out that the first Justice League movie concept was ENTIRELY CG? Why do I care?

Edit: I watched it. They are complaining about the same things that plague appear in Avengers movies. Quips after quips. CG overload. Putty patroller hero fodder. Underdeveloped heroes. But Marvel's different because the character sit down and talk? I for one would love to see the Leaguers do the same thing but all we have are trailers.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
They paid good money for Affleck's face so they're definitely gonna use it lol

It's a bit weird that we never see him speaking with the mask on in these trailers. I wonder if he's even using the voice mod anymore.
He does when he's talking to Gordon.

atr0cious

A tale of two movies
Before
ooQDuLA.gif

After
VqIb9xy.gif

Folks complain about color, but the original take has clear color contrast that allows the actions to be clearly seen. Wonder woman is grounded with her shadow after an action so fast the camera can barely keep up. In the new version, she floats up the street and her now unnaturally slowed down actions drop into the scene, for the viewer's benefit, who instead feels the uncanny valley just a bit. Just a mess now.

Raptor

Angry Joe said something I was thinking, those damn purple tentacles or whatever things does remind me of SS and thats not good lol.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
A tale of two movies

Folks complain about color, but the original take has clear color contrast that allows the actions to be clearly seen. Wonder woman is grounded with her shadow after an action so fast the camera can barely keep up. In the new version, she floats up the street and her now unnaturally slowed down actions drop into the scene, for the viewer's benefit, who instead feels the uncanny valley just a bit. Just a mess now.
I'm not seeing anything here that fails to ground her. Her shadow is only gone because there's now more light in front of her. I can still see everything going on there. To be honest, when those first trailers came out showing those scenes I was a little scared to say that I didn't fully like them because everything felt too dark and lifeless. With the red overlay and extra bits everywhere, my mind is buying into the more fantastical and magical. When it was the old blue/black palette it felt like it was still trying to be too "real" (if that makes any sense), but was failing to give me that due to Snyder's hyper real look of his films.

J_Viper

A tale of two movies

I'm willing to bet money I don't have that it will be completely fine in the theater

A tale of two movies

Snyder does this a lot (assuming the colour change is his idea bc of the whole Whedon hire). I remember in Man of Steel, where Zod and Superman collide via flight, trailer 1 had the scenery as sunset with orange and blue colours vs. the final trailer showing more greys and blues.

SilentRob

This looks so boring.

All of the trailers are the same jumbled mess of awful, overly abundant CGI (seriously, did anyone here actually believe that those characters were there? Because all I could see when Cyborg or Aquaman were flying around, when Batman was driving around in that big, red, Command & Conquer background, was the big, fat, green screen*), "cool" poses and stitchted-together one-liners.

There is nothing being shown that could be a theme, an arc, a plot, a creative spark that actually makes this superhero movie anything but "Uh, I dunno, let's make one of those I guess?" It's looks so fucking empty, so devoid of creativity, of vision.

THAT is, for me, the biggest difference between this and trailers for movies like Thor Ragnarok, Doctor Strange, Civil War. All of those seem to have some kind of unifying theme, a vision that goes beyond "We have to make a superhero movie so let's make one". Of course, that IS the reason they are being made but you can feel Taika Waiti in almost every second of Thor Ragnarok footage, you can see the ridicolous amount of time they most have spent to get that visual design behind Doctor Strange's magic, you can feel the tension between the characters and the "Shit just got real"-atmosphere with Civil War.

With these JL trailers, you always have one or two lines talking about the most dangerous, awful invasion coming. But does anyone here ever feel any kind of threat? Any emotion in regards to the big bad that goes beyond "Oh, hey, I know that villian, that's neat", if that? Do these characters actually feel connected and interesting, because I just feel like I'm watching 20 one-liners stitched together without any kind of feeling portrayed that goes beyond "Huh.". It's just so predictable, unambitious, calculated, uninventive. As someone who not only likes super heroes but also loves the craft of film making, this is just...empty space. There are way too many of these superhero movies for one to be this seemingly unambitious. Hopefully it's actually great! But these trailers are utter trash.

*I saw an earlier comparison with the Thor Ragnarok trailer that completely misses the mark imo. Of course you also know that Hulk fighting a norse Wolf is CGI. Because you know those things aren't real. But when the wolf crashing into Hulk, it sure does look like that wolf crashes into the Hulk. These CG pixels connect to each other, making them feel believable. In many cases they are actually working with real sets or CG sets that are built to look real (which is nearly indistinguishable these days, see movies like Wolf of Wall Street), giving them a sense of place. I may know that the Hulk isn't real, but he feels real nontheless. Nothing about Cyborg feels real. Nothing about Aquaman flying around without any sense of speed, effort or (even ridicolous superhero-)physics feels real.

Seesaw15

I'm gonna watch the whole thing but they are wrong from the first second.

You really can't tell what Steppenwolf says?

Does anyone want to point out that the first Justice League movie concept was ENTIRELY CG? Why do I care?

Edit: I watched it. They are complaining about the same things that plague appear in Avengers movies. Quips after quips. CG overload. Putty patroller hero fodder. Underdeveloped heroes. But Marvel's different because the character sit down and talk? I for one would love to see the Leaguers do the same thing but all we have are trailers.

Martin was mainly saying he couldn't hear what Steppenwolf was saying for comedic effect/he's an old man :p

I felt like the rest of their complaints were valid though. They admitted that while the Marvel films were plagued by those same elements (quips,CG,putty) that you could overlook them because the previous films built up enough good will. So while the chitauri were faceless cannon fodder Tom Hiddleston was a charismatic big bad that could carry the villain role. Ciarán Hinds is a great character actor but I'm not sure how he's going to play Steppenwolf since we've seen 0 footage of his non cg perfomance.

Everything else is really a matter of taste. DC seems to be going for a very stylized sound stage looks for some parts of the film( Gotham at night/red Apokolips land) that clash with some of the real world places they're filming( Aqua Man fishing village/Wonder Woman Bank etc).

Wonder Woman was good so there's a chance this could be a lot of fun.

m23

So excited to watch this. Enjoyed the trailer a lot, CG definitely was a bit weird looking at some points.

MisterHero

Martin was mainly saying he couldn't hear what Steppenwolf was saying for comedic effect/he's an old man :p

I felt like the rest of their complaints were valid though. They admitted that while the Marvel films were plagued by those same elements (quips,CG,putty) that you could overlook them because the previous films built up enough good will. So while the chitauri were faceless cannon fodder Tom Hiddleston was a charismatic big bad that could carry the villain role. Ciarán Hinds is a great character actor but I'm not sure how he's going to play Steppenwolf since we've seen 0 footage of his non cg perfomance.

Everything else is really a matter of taste. DC seems to be going for a very stylized sound stage looks for some parts of the film( Gotham at night/red Apokolips land) that clash with some of the real world places they're filming( Aqua Man fishing village/Wonder Woman Bank etc).

Wonder Woman was good so there's a chance this could be a lot of fun.
To be honest I'm not sure good will matters all that much. As long as they have money they can keep making movies in certain series. Sure, the previous DC movies have many missteps, but so far there's nothing they can't recover from.

The one complaint I want to dismiss entirely is that the heroes need to "sit down and talk" to be appealing. One, the struggle to cooperate has been an Avengers theme forever*, so it's natural for them to do that. Justice League's theme from the beginning was fighting bad guys like Starro the Conqueror. In-fighting can be Avengers's thing and fighting space monsters can be Justice League's thing.

Yes, the difference is ultimately a matter of taste, but just because one company does one thing doesn't mean the other should do the same (which I'm kind of afraid has been done by hiring Whedon after Avengers. No offense to the guy's work in general.)

*or was that Fantastic Four? I forget. In any case it's Marvel's approach to superteams. :p

There's something about Ezra Miller that still comes across creepy. Scarred by We Need To Talk About Kevin. Masturbatingsmilingatmom.gif

Ultron and his army of mini ultrons was also shitty. Not sure why it's relevant to this looking bad/meh. It looks bad/meh independently of any stupid fanboy wars.
Maybe it's Whedon's fault. Back to TV.

Bleepey

Watched that earlier and I just don't agree with them at all. They gloss over so much stuff and say things didn't happen or happened in a different way which is tainting their views. No one is there to fact check them.

I said the same. So much is wrong in their arguments.

MisterHero

Ultron and his army of mini ultrons was also shitty. Not sure why it's relevant to this looking bad/meh. It looks bad/meh independently of any stupid fanboy wars.
Well I only bring it up because Double Toasted brought it up. It's absurd we can't have comparisons where both sides concede to one another, and that's why I wanted to rag on them. Sorry >_>

Cuburt

Double Toasted got the most important thing right, what Marvel has done that DC hasn't is make you care about the characters. You can nitpick their nitpicks all you want but they are 100% correct in that gripe and they aren't alone in that feeling.

Timu

Double Toasted got the most important thing right, what Marvel has done that DC hasn't is make you care about the characters. You can nitpick their nitpicks all you want but they are 100% correct in that gripe and they aren't alone in that feeling.
Yep, this is true!

Yep, its why Wonder Woman remains the only decent movie in the series so far. Mediocre as it was, at least it made you care for Diana.

LotusHD

Banned

No lies there

Meh it's hard to care about any of these characters in either marvel or dc franchise right now. I just liked BvS (moreso that first two thirds tho really) because of the really nihilistic tone they applied to the universe and the visuals and action

And in marvels case I like a few of the more humorous characters in some of their movies. Actual character investment tho? Hell no. Only Logan's really succeeded with that in the last few years for me.

jrush64

Banned

This is a 100% subjective.

Oersted

Like I said earlier, I would watch a Lois Lane movie.

This is a 100% subjective.

Sort of, but mostly just untrue. Especially if you do a like-for-like comparison, which is where there's a weird divide people can't rectify. Because their mindset is stuck on seeing everything as a competition, they don't account for one universe being four movies in and the other having sixteen. It's also telling when you see things referred to as "Marvel" and "DC," but it's the internet and it's gonna be that way.

Top Bottom