• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice League Official Heroes Trailer

Superflat

I don't have high hopes for villains (whether it be DC or MCU) and Steppenwolf is no different, but I now have pretty decent hope that the new Justice League members will be able to hold their own with good charismatic performances... except for Cyborg. I hope the JL will prove me wrong but good lord he is portrayed as the dullest human cyborg to ever exist in film, at least in the trailers. The best I can hope for with him at this moment is that his zombie expression and dialogue will be used for a few good laughs.

Never heard of him either. Who the hell is "Darksyde"?

One of Superman's major villains. The inspiration for Thanos. I think he's basically a super-powerful Space Dictator from a planet called (don't laugh) Apokolips.

The only character I can care about is Superman because he had his origin movie, but the character is totally botched even though Cavill, if given the chance by a good director, could totally nail it.

I disagree. I think Henry Cavill is fine and a decent actor elsewhere; it's just that the character is badly written and Snyder obviously directed him to have so little joy.

I don't have high hopes for villains (whether it be DC or MCU) and Steppenwolf is no different, but I now have pretty decent hope that the new Justice League members will be able to hold their own with good charismatic performances... except for Cyborg. I hope the JL will prove me wrong but good lord he is portrayed as the dullest human cyborg to ever exist in film, at least in the trailers. The best I can hope for with him at this moment is that his zombie expression and dialogue will be used for a few good laughs.

Zack Snyder's version of Zod was freaking phenomenal. Was such a well written villain. He had his reasons and reasons were clearly communicated through superb dialogues written for him "I exist only to protect Krypton, that is the sole purpose for which I was born. Any action I take, no matter how violent or how cruel, is for the greater good of my people. And now, I have no people. My soul, that is what you've taken from me". This one big line gave me chills when seeing Man of Steel, an underappreciated/underrated movie in recent memory!

Blader

Are ticket sales not available yet? I just looked for the 16th/17th and all I see are advanced sales for Wonder (who really needs to buy advance tickets for that? :lol)

Pretty much all the evidence you need to kill the notion that people don't care about DC characters. DC is loaded, and there's no restrictions for WB. The movies have done alright regardless of critical reception because the characters are that big.

Don't mistake the Disney/Marvel machine for the average person actually giving a shit about the characters. You're not gonna see ensemble/supporting characters turned breakout cultural stars like Harley Quinn over there. They just don't have it.

Seems really dumb to me to argue that Marvel is never going to turn nobodies that only comic book fans know about into breakout cultural stars since they've already done that like a dozen times already. Even if you want to narrow it down to the hilariously specific criteria of 'supporting players in an ensemble' I'd argue that Groot is basically his own mini-phenomenon.

Penguin

What good is that for Marvel when they seem obsessed with throwing any believable character trait or backstory through the window with the obligatory cringeworthy over the top no-stakes action sequence followed by a predictable quip?

Then again the DCEU had Superman die in his second movie only to be revived in the following one. Out-nostaking the entire MCU with 2 movies. But what can you expect from Snyder.
I mean a minor point, but he dies in the second movie is revived in the 5th so there's some time between the two events

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
One of Superman's major villains. The inspiration for Thanos. I think he's basically a super-powerful Space Dictator from a planet called (don't laugh) Apokolips.

I know who Darkseid is. I was just messing with avowed DC fan dash riprock for spelling his name as "Darksyde" while complaining casuals would never know who that is.

Bruh Barry legit too woke for us
DLxjB0qWAAIqlDy.jpg:large

Bleepey

You worry about general audience not knowing/caring about a villain or characters that are new in the movie? Well, that's what the movie is for - to introduce characters and make you care for them (or fear them) while telling the story. Whether it does it well, is another problem.

It still impress me that there are people who thinks the Marvel way (give each character an origin story before you let him/her fight with others, tease a villain for few movies before finally giving him the time to shine) is the only way to do franchise movies. Otherwise "I don't care about those new characters because no origin" or "casual fans haven't heard of him".

I've just rewatched The Fellowship of the Ring recently and that movie: introduced you to high fantasy world, gave you the whole Middle Earth backstory, introduced 8 brand new characters (and a fuckton of others) that you would then follow for the next two movies. And somehow people managed to not be overwhelmed and managed to care; even people who up until then weren't really interested in fantasy genre at all.

But with comic book movies? You have to have an origin story, because otherwise how could possibly people get those deep characters and their deep, noteworthy backstories.

Well, she's cute. And whoever montaged that trailer sure knew what he/she is doing putting that clip there.

lNUh0uV.gif

There's more than one way to skin a cat. . But the same people who felt the DCEU was rushing jizz over themselves at the hypothetical George Miller JL movie that kicked off the DC film universe in the opening movie.

Seesaw15

I've just rewatched The Fellowship of the Ring recently and that movie: introduced you to high fantasy world, gave you the whole Middle Earth backstory, introduced 8 brand new characters (and a fuckton of others) that you would then follow for the next two movies. And somehow people managed to not be overwhelmed and managed to care; even people who up until then weren't really interested in fantasy genre at all.

But with comic book movies? You have to have an origin story, because otherwise how could possibly people get those deep characters and their deep, noteworthy backstories

I think the Lord of the Rings comparison is a bit disingenuous and misses the point of why people are complaining. No one is saying that Marvel invented the ensemble film nor that audiences brains are too small to keep track of large casts. Ocean's 11,Pulp Fiction,The Magnificent Seven,JFK, Heat,Harry Potter the list goes on are all films that told a story with a large cast. That's not what Marvel and DC are trying to do. They're building these movies around the spectacle and relative novelty of a shared cinematic universe. The big event surrounding the original Avengers wasn't the size of the cast but that self contained characters were meeting after 4 years of build up.

I'm sure DC can pull off a good ensemble movie without every character getting an origin film( the x-men films have done it multiple times) it's just that the marketing is falling a bit flat trying to emulate that same hype.

I mean a minor point, but he dies in the second movie is revived in the 5th so there's some time between the two events

They pay lip service to Superman's death in Suicide Squad but since Wonder Woman was a period piece there hasn't been a post BvS movie to really deal with it. Assuming Superman comes back in Justice League its gonna feel like missed story potential to not have a couple of DCEU movies without a Superman to make his presence missed.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
All these arguments just bum me out further - they could have used GL & MoS to set up some very interesting characters and instead we got hot garbage 4 times in a row.

Ahasverus

Imagine you being a high school athlete that got mutilated and was painfully and forcefully transformed into a machine abomination by your father, who Btw got kidnapped by some extraterrestrial bugs.

Pure joy right there.

Finally got around to watching this. Looks... okay-ish? Not really super hyped, but going to check it out and hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Superflat

Imagine you being a high school athlete that got mutilated and was painfully and forcefully transformed into a machine abomination by your father, who Btw got kidnapped by some extraterrestrial bugs.

Pure joy right there.

Depressed, angry or sad would be appropriate and humanizing emotions to portray the pain if they wanted but so far I've just seen a stoic, uncaring face and voice. Maybe part of the story is that he's more machine than man there? Maybe he's just feeling everything internally? Whatever it is, hopefully the film will make him appealing in a way that trailers haven't.

Bleepey

The confusing thing about people talking about the DCEU being rushed is that each movie talked about a particular thing. barring Suicide Squad

MOS: First contact movie where Superman after living his life helping people out, makes himself known to the world and chooses earth over his home world.

BVS: World deals with the impact of Superman. Batman/Lex both have an existential crisis and deal with it in similar but different ways. The media are a huge character in illustrating how the characters are viewed and world building. It's funny that BVS makes better use of the press in world building in one movie than even S1 of Daredevil and that's not a slight at D1 just an observation. The movie also gives Batman the impetus and motivation to create a JL

SS:This one didn't really do much and has way more plot holes than anything. It did give him intelligence for the JL

WW: Explains the impact of the photo in BVS and does world building for the Amazons.

diunxx

Pure joy right there.

Thats why we needed an origin movie first to get all this bullshit out of the way.

You worry about general audience not knowing/caring about a villain or characters that are new in the movie? Well, that's what the movie is for - to introduce characters and make you care for them (or fear them) while telling the story. Whether it does it well, is another problem.

It still impress me that there are people who thinks the Marvel way (give each character an origin story before you let him/her fight with others, tease a villain for few movies before finally giving him the time to shine) is the only way to do franchise movies. Otherwise "I don't care about those new characters because no origin" or "casual fans haven't heard of him".

But with comic book movies? You have to have an origin story, because otherwise how could possibly people get those deep characters and their deep, noteworthy backstories.

Well, she's cute. And whoever montaged that trailer sure knew what he/she is doing putting that clip there.

Only if you copy paste the Marvel formula, which is what the DCEU does, but leaves one key ingrediend out, so it's shit. BvS feels like a conclusive story for non existent origins. JL looks the same.

Thats why we needed an origin movie first to get all this bullshit out of the way.
Bingo.

I disagree. I think Henry Cavill is fine and a decent actor elsewhere; it's just that the character is badly written and Snyder obviously directed him to have so little joy.
Thats what I tried to say lol. Cavill is great, he is a great Superman on paper but just let him be more "fun" in that role.

Bleepey

It was in BVS, it will be explored more in JL. Why are you complaining about backdoor pilots? It's how everything is down nowadays. Arrow was a backdoor pilot for Flash, JJ was a backdoor pilot for Luke Cage, D2 for Punisher, Phase 1 for Agents of Shield, Cap 1 for Agent Carter etc etc

Effect

Didn't notice all the little beams of energy correcting the flying course of Cyborg. So awesome.

I love the attention to detail like that. You see some of that on Iron Man's armor but not enough I think. That might be the only issue, and it's a small one, I've had with Iron Man over the years.

shira

Zack Snyder's version of Zod was freaking phenomenal. Was such a well written villain. He had his reasons and reasons were clearly communicated through superb dialogues written for him "I exist only to protect Krypton, that is the sole purpose for which I was born. Any action I take, no matter how violent or how cruel, is for the greater good of my people. And now, I have no people. My soul, that is what you've taken from me". This one big line gave me chills when seeing Man of Steel, an underappreciated/underrated movie in recent memory!

That sounds like a certain president.

Isotropy

I'm not sure if it wa the actual CGI being bad, or just the heavy red-wash over everything looking a bit tacky and sci-fi-TV-show-esque.

Mr_Zombie

I think the Lord of the Rings comparison is a bit disingenuous and misses the point of why people are complaining. No one is saying that Marvel invented the ensemble film nor that audiences brains are too small to keep track of large casts.

No, the two people I quoted said exactly that: "those characters didn't have origin stories, so I don't care about them"; "that villain is unknown by general audience, you have to I troduce it first". And then there's a shitton comments about the casual audience surely being confused because "you can't introduce Flash without spending while movie explaining what the Speed Force is", or "you have to show the Atlantis first", or (like above) "you have to have a movie about why Cyborg is so sad and stoic".

Yes, DC is probably chasing the MCU money, but they are doing their own thing. Instead of slowly building the universe, introducing the characters one by one, they throw a party right away, showing the big picture, and then tell the individual stories. It can be done both ways (and Marvel realized it too by introducing characters like Black Panther or Spider-Man in Civil War, and then making their solo movies with both characters already established). The pros of DCEU way is that with just four movies in we already have an unvierse with aliens, demigods, meta-humans, magic and all that shit. You don't need a slow build up, you just need good script (which most DC movies lack, but that's another story).

Good God, if you people were in charge I'm sure we would get yet another "they killed my uncle Ben" Spider-Man movie after the character was rebooted for the second time. Because you sure can't explain Cyborg's situation in a single dialogue or a flashback scene.

Only if you copy paste the Marvel formula, which is what the DCEU does (...)

No, the point is that DCEU doesn't copy Marvel formula. Otherwise we would have an origin movies for Batman, Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman first. Instrad we got BvS, where the Batman was introduced through the conflict with Superman; and Suicide Squad, where the overall world building started with MoS and BvS continues, while introducing a bunch of new characters and ideas (magic, other meta humans that the government tries to utilize, Batman's villains etc.).

Penguin

They pay lip service to Superman's death in Suicide Squad but since Wonder Woman was a period piece there hasn't been a post BvS movie to really deal with it. Assuming Superman comes back in Justice League its gonna feel like missed story potential to not have a couple of DCEU movies without a Superman to make his presence missed.

My point was more that it isn't that he dies and returns in the next movie

And while Squad pays lip-service to it, it does play into the story. It's how the gov't attempts to react to a being such as Superman dead or alive.

BadAss2961

Deadpool is the exact same thing as Harley Quinn. The list of breakout, culturally relevant characters at both publishers since the early days is exceedingly small. You argue against poor argumentation with your own.
I was talking specifically about the MCU. The brand itself has become the star more so than what little substance there is in the movies. It's a money machine, and they're not even trying to be more than that. Deadpool is actually a pretty good example against the MCU since a movie like that would never come from their studio. They have a formula that consists of inoffensive movies with mostly similar beats and structure. Everyone knows that.

Marvel fans often make the success out to be more than it is. They're not in the business of having ambition in their filmmaking, stories or characters. It's really that stagnant game or movie series they hate on for being successful despite releasing the same piece of mediocrity year after year.

With the exception of RDJ's Stark, that whole roster is replaceable, and they eventually will be without much fuss.
I know who Darkseid is. I was just messing with avowed DC fan dash riprock for spelling his name as "Darksyde" while complaining casuals would never know who that is.

lol

Blader

Imagine the New York Times running a front-page headline, in size 48 font, that reads "WORLD WITHOUT HOPE"

actually, I wonder why they haven't yet

Johndoey

Banned
Sort of, but mostly just untrue. Especially if you do a like-for-like comparison, which is where there's a weird divide people can't rectify. Because their mindset is stuck on seeing everything as a competition, they don't account for one universe being four movies in and the other having sixteen. It's also telling when you see things referred to as "Marvel" and "DC," but it's the internet and it's gonna be that way.

Nope. Just subjective.

Keym

metalgearrising.gif

It looks like they layered his face with a CG or something. They really should've went with practical effect from his neck up.
THIS IS RAIDEN. HE'S GOT MY BACK. I WOULD ADVISE NOT GETTING KILLED BY HIM. HIS SWORD TRAPS THE SOULS OF ITS VICTIMS.

Dash27

Ugh. Well a success would be the following:

1. It does not ruin Wonder Woman. That movie was great and she should be featured in JL, or future team up films. She is by far the best IP they have right now movie wise.

2. Flash doesn't suck... which I'm kinda dreading based on this trailer.

Seaman saying "My man" triggered me. Just like I triggered people by calling him Seaman.
Batman... at least he didn't have any guns that I noticed?
Superman ... I like the DC movie Superman. Probably in the minority there but I dig the character if not all the ways he's used. I'm completely discounting Batman v Superman in this assessment.
Cyborg ... to early to tell.

Top Bottom