• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JYB doing mo-cap with Reuben Langdon. Working on DMC5?

Arttemis

The more they flesh out Sparda's past the more they ruin the mystique of him, to be perfectly honest.

100% agreed. Move forward, keep him as a legend, and surpass him. I'd rather it stay a mystery.

This isn't like MGS3 because Sparda is a hero of a demon, where Big Boss was a villain. There's nothing of a surprise to reveal, just a retread of a legend told in two different prequels (of which, one isn't cannon).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
100% agreed. Move forward, keep him as a legend, and surpass him. I'd rather it stay a mystery.

This isn't like MGS3 because Sparda is a hero of a demon, where Big Boss was a villain. There's nothing of a surprise to reveal, just a retread of a legend told in two different prequels (of which, one isn't cannon).

It could still be beautifully tragic, and also doesn't have to follow the exact formula of the legend to a tee. Legends get embellished and misconstrued over time.

I'm not married to the idea, but I do think it could really do wonders for the character.

Sesha

I remember in Naruto when the Fourth Hokage was generally well-liked and considered a bad-ass when we only heard about his exploits and saw glimpses of him. But the more he got involved with the actual story the less interesting and awe-inspiring he became, to the point where he's considered to be a failure and was even called such by characters.

TreIII

The problem for me is I just find Mundus to be ineffectual. Even if he's the biggest bad we know, he's not a threat after having been defeated twice, once by Dante. Even if he's more diabolical and careful the second time around, he still had way more time to build his strength when he fought Dante the first time. Why would he be more of a threat now? It's even worse when lore-wise we know that he's not the OG demon.

Mundus being turned into a Devil Arm and then being dual-wielded along with Sparda by someone, that's what I would call a threat.

I guess my thing is, yeah, he's already lost twice, but a lot of this was established or otherwise occurred in the first game, largely as a result of Kamiya and crew not even being sure that they would even get to make a sequel. Everything since then has been Itsuno and his crew filling in the gaps and developing the world, story and characters on their own.

I'd like to think that if Itsuno and crew got a chance to use Mundus again, they probably would do much more with the character than Kamiya's team did, by virtue of the fact that they'd have much more to work with and have an idea of what kind of gravitas Mundus would have by this point in time. Or maybe he would attempt to take over the human world in another way besides "RAR SEND MORE DEMONS TO FIGHT THE SON(S) OF SPARDA" all over again.

Sephzilla

I'm sure Itsuno and company could do a better job with Mundus, but I'm still in the camp of "move on". Plus DmC soured me on Mundus as well, I don't think I'll ever not be able to see him as a Kingpin knockoff who turns into a ripoff of Mecha Agent Smith from The Matrix: Path of Neo.

Sesha

I also really really really hope they don't bring in Sparda's apprentices or whatever, after the DMC anime. I've seen people suggest it a lot, not here but elsewhere, and I absolutely hate the idea. Sparda's apprentices that were either sealed away or spent the entire time cowering in a ditch somewhere. Ugh.

I guess my thing is, yeah, he's already lost twice, but a lot of this was established or otherwise occurred in the first game, largely as a result of Kamiya and crew not even being sure that they would even get to make a sequel. Everything since then has been Itsuno and his crew filling in the gaps and developing the world, story and characters on their own.

I'd like to think that if Itsuno and crew got a chance to use Mundus again, they probably would do much more with the character than Kamiya's team did, by virtue of the fact that they'd have much more to work with and have an idea of what kind of gravitas Mundus would have by this point in time. Or maybe he would attempt to take over the human world in another way besides "RAR SEND MORE DEMONS TO FIGHT THE SON(S) OF SPARDA" all over again.

I see what you're saying, but Itsuno and team continually making up their own villains says to me they're not interested in focusing too much on Mundus. My hope is they'll just make up a demon villain on their own, either the creator of the DMC universe, the first demon, or just something else entirely.

I'm sure Itsuno and company could do a better job with Mundus, but I'm still in the camp of "move on". Plus DmC soured me on Mundus as well, I don't think I'll ever not be able to see him as a Kingpin knockoff who turns into a ripoff of Mecha Agent Smith from The Matrix: Path of Neo.

I need only think of Mundus fucking Lilith to nope out on the character completely. They even soiled the name Lilith for me.

Mit-

If SFV's launch is anything to go by, they are still as deaf as ever.

You mean that fighting game that every competitive fighting game player is drooling over because it's a fairly well-balanced fighting game with very minimal bullshit, that removed all the bullshit people complained about in SFIV, and is actually fun-to-play?

Oh, and that game that is now adding even more single player content after hearing all of the negative feedback about its lack of single player content? And whose original plan for single player content includes a story mode with actual cinematics and not just moving pictures and other shit arcade mode endings, a direct response to the praise of Mortal Kombat's single player mode?

I hope this is DMC5 and I'm okay if Nero is in it. Just please have Vergil too. Aside from that I have no reason to believe they will screw this up.

Oh and please ditch the cowboy aesthetic with Dante.

Mizerman

Pfft. More like a horrible love child of the Kingpin and Lex Luthor who later turns into a Mecha Agent Smith.

I'm pretty sore on Mundus as well. I just found him to be too boring both in DMC1 and DmC. I think for future villains, the ancient demon(s) is the way to go.

Sephzilla

The other reason I'd shy away from Mundus is that Dante in general really needs his own rogues gallery and not Sparda's sloppy seconds. The only villain that I would truly say is a "Dante villain" is Vergil.

You mean that fighting game that every competitive fighting game player is drooling over because it's a fairly well-balanced fighting game with very minimal bullshit, that removed all the bullshit people complained about in SFIV, and is actually fun-to-play?

Oh, and that game that is now adding even more single player content after hearing all of the negative feedback about its lack of single player content? And whose original plan for single player content includes a story mode with actual cinematics and not just moving pictures and other shit arcade mode endings, a direct response to the praise of Mortal Kombat's single player mode?
The same one that doesn't have an arcade mode or even a simple Vs CPU. The one that is pretty much an always online game yet has shitty servers that DC you every once in a while making you lose your progress even in *single player* modes. The one that still have issues with it lobbies and won't even let people make or join another one sometimes even though it's been almost a month since its release. The one that is infested with RQers and no system to punish them....

Yep, the very same one.

Dahbomb

Sparda's apprentices are a bunch of no name scrubs. Not good enough to even lick Dante's boots. Dante whooped them in the anime without even breaking a sweat.

And please no retread villains. Vergil can return as a supporting character and even as a boss fight but there needs to be a new over powered bad guy.

Shifty

This thread. Hnng. All this fanfiction is doing things to my heart.
GIVE IT TO ME

I want to see them move past style switching. A huge array of moves, sure, but it's time to let go.
CRAZY COMBOS
And for the love of god either
  • Go back to the two-weapon slot setup.
  • Bind each one to its own button somehow.
  • Or use some sort of novel triangle configuration whereby you have three slots, the first of which is your equipped weapon. RT swaps slots 1 and 2, LT swaps slots 2 and 3.
I hate hate hate the 3-weapon carousel setup, even with the back/forward buttons the 4SE characters got. It feels clunky and ruins my combat flow.
CRAZY PARTY

I'd like to see another Mallet Island-esque setting too. Spending at least half of the game in a big RE Mansion-Castle would be wonderful.
YESSSSS

Oh and make Kyrie into Rodin please.

Dahbomb

The other reason I'd shy away from Mundus is that Dante in general really needs his own rogues gallery and not Sparda's sloppy seconds. The only villain that I would truly say is a "Dante villain" is Vergil.
Dante's rogue gallery honestly just consists of the bosses he has killed. Stuff like Beowulf, Griffon, Phantom, Cerberus etc.

There haven't been enough games to have a rogue gallery based on the main bad guys. You have Vergil, Arkham, Mundus and Argosax/Despair Embodied. Not much of a gallery. Sanctus was a Nero villain.

TreIII

I see what you're saying, but Itsuno and team continually making up their own villains says to me they're not interested in focusing too much on Mundus. My hope is they'll just make up a demon villain on their own, either the creator of the DMC universe, the first demon, or just something else entirely.

Well, as long as it's not more lame old men like Sanctus, again.

"OOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGH

The SAVIOR is COMING-! *barrier shatter* OOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGH."

Sephzilla

Dante's rogue gallery honestly just consists of the bosses he has killed. Stuff like Beowulf, Griffon, Phantom, Cerberus etc.

There haven't been enough games to have a rogue gallery based on the main bad guys. You have Vergil, Arkham, Mundus and Argosax/Despair Embodied. Not much of a gallery. Sanctus was a Nero villain.

Beowulf, Phantom, and Griffon I consider more as Sparda villains since they hate/fight Dante more or less because they're continuing that grudge. Same with Mundus. Arkham is honestly more a Lady villain in my opinion. The entire Order of the Sword is Nero.

Dahbomb

Rogue gallery is a comic book super hero concept for heroes with recurring villains. And it's because those heroes don't kill so those villains just keep coming back.

Dante kills his enemies, he doesn't have a no kill rule. No reason why he should have to deal with villains again. Like I don't want to play a game where Dante is just fighting enemies like Cerberus again. That stuff doesn't fly in games, people would call out the rehash.

Give me new baddies to kill. If they want to rehash just be like "oh its the bigger, meaner brother of Cerberus and now he's angry" but also change up the moveset to make it interesting. Would be cool to fight Cerberus' brother who is a fire based demon and isn't chained.

Sephzilla

I didn't really mean to imply recurring villains when I used the term rogues gallery, sorry. I just meant let's give Dante some villains to kill that are truly his enemies, not hand me downs from daddy

Sesha

I really disliked it when Dante outright killed a demon and didn't get its soul as a weapon. I hope DMC5 is like 3 in that regard. Dante punking Echidna instead of getting a sweet plant-whip weapon from her was incredibly disappointing.

Well, as long as it's not more lame old men like Sanctus, again.

"OOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGH

The SAVIOR is COMING-! *barrier shatter* OOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGHOOOOGHOOOGH."

I agree. Another Sanctus would be far worse than having Mundus back.

Give me new baddies to kill. If they want to rehash just be like "oh its the bigger, meaner brother of Cerberus and now he's angry" but also change up the moveset to make it interesting. Would be cool to fight Cerberus' brother who is a fire based demon and isn't chained.

Talking about Orthrus, right? I've had the same idea. As long as he's not blown to pieces like Berial, but has his soul turned into fiery nunchucks, I agree.

Dahbomb

I didn't really mean to imply recurring villains when I used the term rogues gallery, sorry. I just meant let's give Dante some villains to kill that are truly his enemies, not hand me downs from daddy
I still want the DMC version of father Alexander Anderson. Completely anti demon, considers Dante ann abomination and uses all sorts of crazy magic/sorcery to make it a challenging fight. Also uses traps that block uses of demonic powers or seals them.

Could be an interesting boss fight.

Oh nice. DMC5, make it so.

JYB is the best.

Yup

I still want the DMC version of father Alexander Anderson. Completely anti demon, considers Dante ann abomination and uses all sorts of crazy magic/sorcery to make it a challenging fight. Also uses traps that block uses of demonic powers or seals them.

As a huge fan of Hellsing, something like that for Dante as a new boss fight would be cool.

Sephzilla

Holy fuck, that would be amazing.

Mizerman

My money. Shut up and take it.

Shifty

Stop making me want it.

TreIII

Oh, maaaaaan. Some type of wild, Capcom action game take on Alexander Anderson would be the makings of another legendary boss fight.

Thanks for the link, OP! I'm trying not to get my hopes up... but... c'mon, Capcom!

Oh-my-god, yes.

Neonep

Is Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo footing the bill?

If anybody is footing the bill it's Sony. I think it will be on both the Xbox One & PS4 if I had to bet money.

I think this game has been in development longer than we think.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

This is is a damn good idea, and a great evolution of a foil for Dante. As long as he's righteous and fucking charming as hell. Which has always been my issue with Arius and Sanctus. Not some old dude. Give me someone with style.

Now Dante has no qualms about killing demons of course, but has Dante ever killed a pure human in game canon? I'm not opposed to the idea, but I simply can't think of an example off hand and I'm curious.

I don't know if I care for the blocking or sealing of demonic powers, since I'd rather have a character that I'd powerful enough with his own unique weapons to stand toe to toe with Dante.

Sephzilla

I think the closest Dante's come to killing a human in DMC is Angus in DMC4. But Agnus had been infused with a bunch of demon power, so I don't think that counts.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If anybody is footing the bill it's Sony. I think it will be on both the Xbox One & PS4 if I had to bet money.

I think this game has been in development longer than we think.

If it's going to be exclusive, Sony makes sense. It seems like each of the big three want a high octane Japanese action game exclusive under their belt. Nintendo got Bayo 2, Microsoft has Scalebound, and Sony has...? I guess Bloodborne, but I don't think that's exactly the same thing.

BadWolf

If it's going to be exclusive, Sony makes sense. It seems like each of the big three want a high octane Japanese action game exclusive under their belt. Nintendo got Bayo 2, Microsoft has Scalebound, and Sony has...? I guess Bloodborne, but I don't think that's exactly the same thing.

Nioh is exclusive to PS4, it's not over the top like DMC though.

Sesha

More like each of the three console makers would be getting an exclusive title in a Kamiya-made franchise each. Although Nintendo has two.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
More like each of the three console makers would be getting an exclusive title in a Kamiya-made franchise each. Although Nintendo has two.

Basically. But Sony is the only one without Platinum exclusives, so I think it'd make sense for them to grab DMC if anyone would.

Sesha

I remember Verendus laughing off the idea that Sony needs a Platinum exclusive. They're effectively getting one anyway through Nier Automata so whatever.

Could be SCE is moneyhatting DMC. I thought it initially wouldn't make much sense since they already have GOW as a title in the same genre that's a much bigger seller than DMC. But then I remembered they're trying to appeal to Japanese gamers, who don't care about GOW all that much, although the series always sold ok in Japan.

Then again, Japan doesn't care about Xbone so any title coming to PS4 in Japan is basically an exclusive to them anyway.

Could be. While DMC5 wouldn't be FF7-tier, it would still be a big get for PS4.

Link removed? So is this true?

Could be. One would think Reuben or Johnny would say something if it wasn't DMC5.

Here's a screenshot if you're curious to see:

379b4700_622c_4b96_b2d9_2435916b7620.png

RazMaTaz

Banned
The only things I request for DMC5 is:

- Bloodborne like environments and bosses
- Vergil returns as a supporting character, and a boss fight - Solidifying who Nero is to Vergil too.
- No more Mundus, in fact I would love to see some ancient demons of hell that make Mundus look like a rat, only then, make Mundus return as sum minion
- Dante meets his match, or atleast gets over powered by a more powerful demon.

and just for fun:

- Kyrie dying - I would love to see what Nero becomes. Being rough, angry, desperate, even naive that he leans to the bad side because they convince him he can bring Kyrie back (in the sense of how Trish was created).

Dahbomb

I am not comfortable talking about money hats for DMC. I think the game series should be on as many consoles as possible. That's why DMC4 was successful. Hell put it on the NX too but especially on the PC since that's where a lot of the hardcores are now.

And hell yes to Bloodborne style art design for environments. BB was essentially the next gen look for DMC1.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I am not comfortable talking about money hats for DMC. I think the game series should be on as many consoles as possible. That's why DMC4 was successful. Hell put it on the NX too but especially on the PC since that's where a lot of the hardcores are now.

And hell yes to Bloodborne style art design for environments. BB was essentially the next gen look for DMC1.

I don't think anyone wants an exclusive DMC. It's just the elephant in the room, and a real possibility. Console exclusive, mind. No matter what it will end up on PC too.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I remember Verendus laughing off the idea that Sony needs a Platinum exclusive. They're effectively getting one anyway through Nier Automata so whatever.

Could be SCE is moneyhatting DMC. I thought it initially wouldn't make much sense since they already have GOW as a title in the same genre that's a much bigger seller than DMC. But then I remembered they're trying to appeal to Japanese gamers, who don't care about GOW all that much, although the series always sold ok in Japan.

Then again, Japan doesn't care about Xbone so any title coming to PS4 in Japan is basically an exclusive to them anyway.

Could be. While DMC5 wouldn't be FF7-tier, it would still be a big get for PS4.

Exclusives are as much about diversification as they are about securing a system seller. It's just a possibility is all.

They're doing more mocap for resident evil

To my knowledge, JYB hasn't done any mocap for Resident Evil in the past. Not saying he couldn't start, but it's not in his history.

TreIII

- Bloodborne like environments and bosses

I dunno. There's parts of me that would like to see the series become creepy and gothic like DMC1, again, but another part of me remembers how fantastic the Bayonetta games' art directions and enemy designs are and desires similar.

I can only imagine what Capcom's artists could do, either way...

Top Bottom