• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JYB doing mo-cap with Reuben Langdon. Working on DMC5?

Sesha

Maybe Dan isn't doing mo-cap now because Vergil's story is a DLC expansion like Vergil's Downfall in DmC, except he fights his way out of Hell. :p

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Maybe Dan isn't doing mo-cap now because Vergil's story is a DLC expansion like Vergil's Downfall in DmC, except he fights his way out of Hell. :p

I was thinking (hoping) this might be the case, but isn't most DLC locked and budgeted in advance to cut down on duplicate costs? In which case they'd want to finish all mocapping at the same time, even for future content. But that might not be the case. Maybe they'll be bringing Dan in towards the end for sessions.

I just bought DMC HD Collection and DMC4 two weeks ago after getting into the genre via Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden Black, so this is great news. Not that all these games could keep me occupied for the next five years, but oh well!

Have fun! Are you planning on tackling them in release order? If you have any questions or get stuck at all, visit us in the DMC4SE OT in community. There are quite a few gameplay characteristics aspects that distinguish DMC from Bayo that aren't exactly spelled out in the games.

hmm, apparently dan southworth (the dude behind vergil) is at a con this weekend

no vergil in dmc5???

It'd be a little disappointing, but not terribly surprising. Though I feel like Vergil should always be an extra playable character at the very least. I'm fine with him not really being a major part of the story for the next game.

Seyavesh

i figure they're just gonna keep him dead and let nero have yamato and the vergil weapon scheme of 3 melee 1 ranged w red queen, yamato and buster melee or dual wield rq yamato w some new mechanic

Sesha

I really want Nero to have a Jetstream Sam-like scabbard for Yamato that can be "iai-revved".

If Vergil isn't in vanilla DMC5, then DMC5SE will be the Vergil Edition of the game like always.

I was thinking (hoping) this might be the case, but isn't most DLC locked and budgeted in advance to cut down on duplicate costs? In which case they'd want to finish all mocapping at the same time, even for future content. But that might not be the case. Maybe they'll be bringing Dan in towards the end for sessions.

That's usually the case, I think, but it might depend on how their schedule for DMC5 is set up. Capcom has plans to gradually release content for all their major releases on a 2.5-3y basis. Basically it goes like this: Vanilla release - minor DLC/updates - major DLC/update - minor DLC/updates - Sequel. Then it continues for the next release. Basically so there's always a major product or some form of DLC released or upcoming at all times, whether it's RE7, DMC5, SF5, DR4, etc. I think they're hoping people will always either be playing or anticipating a Capcom release of some kind. I'm gonna find it and post a picture of it.

Serious talk though, if we don't get Vergil in the next game in any shape or form within the story, I'm done with the series. I mean ffs Capcom, it's been 11 years.

Well, unless the next one is a Sparda title.

JayEH

Just because he isn't there right now doesn't mean Vergil won't be in the game. Motion capture can take a while and it can be they're not recording scenes with Vergil yet.
I hope.

Just because he isn't there right now doesn't mean Vergil won't be in the game. Motion capture can take a while and it can be they're not recording scenes with Vergil yet.
I hope.

I really hope so. Capcom has to learn from the past at some point.

Sephzilla

DDjqjlV.gif

I want Nero and Athena Cykes (Ace Attorney) to fall into the same deep dark hole and never be heard from again.

But DMC5 would be cool. I prefer the younger Dante of DMC3 to Uncle Dante but whaddayagonna do.

Sephzilla

I want Nero and Athena Cykes (Ace Attorney) to fall into the same deep dark hole and never be heard from again.

But DMC5 would be cool. I prefer the younger Dante of DMC3 to Uncle Dante but whaddayagonna do.

I don't want Nero to vanish but I would really like DMC5 to be focused on Dante.

TreIII

I'm glad Nero is coming back. Dude got a bad rap in DMC4. All that's needed for him is a few extra weapons, a proper DT and more functionality for his Devil Bringer. He also needs to cool his head in cutscenes... or get comically angry, that'd be funny.

I'd also think it'd be better if Kyrie remained his "off-screen girlfriend/wife back home in Fortuna", for now on. Not that this series is well known for portraying "romance" all that well anyway, but those two had no real chemistry at all in 4. It makes Dante and Lady's interactions in DMC3 look like NYT Bestseller material, in comparison.

But besides that...yeah. He definitely needs more weapons that take advantage of those Revving mechanics, among other things.

I hope.

Actually, an interview with a Ranger-themed podcast Southworth had a year ago made it sound like he was starting mocap work for a "yet to be named project" later that year. The timing made it safe to presume that it couldn't have been for 4SE at that point in time, so I would like to believe the majority of his work may either already be done, or his work will finish up later.

Either way...I don't see Capcom trying to get away with another "Special Edition" with Vergil being the headliner for it anymore. It's not going to keep flying with the audience.

aziAe70.png

it's happening

glad nero's back too. I like the idea of multiple characters in an action game. There's no way vergil doesn't make the cut.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'd also think it'd be better if Kyrie remained his "off-screen girlfriend/wife back home in Fortuna", for now on. Not that this series is well known for portraying "romance" all that well anyway, but those two had no real chemistry at all in 4. It makes Dante and Lady's interactions in DMC3 look like NYT Bestseller material, in comparison.

But besides that...yeah. He definitely needs more weapons that take advantage of those Revving mechanics, among other things.

I think it'd be interesting if they fleshed out Kyrie because she's essentially a blank slate at this point. They can do whatever they want with her. Maybe she can work on tech or advancements in Devil arms, or accompany/assist Nero. Or heck, make her a junior devil hunter. The series has plenty of female fatales already, so they might not want to rehash that, but I feel like Kyrie is an existing character that they can essentially spawn into an entirely new character with few real limitations.

This is what I want. Red Queen was such a cool weapon. Imagine the weapons that could be given an revving/engine upgrade.

They can do whatever they want with her. Maybe she can work on tech or advancements in Devil arms, or accompany/assist Nero. Or heck, make her a junior devil hunter. The series has plenty of female fatales already, so they might not want to rehash that, but I feel like Kyrie is an existing character that they can essentially spawn into an entirely new character with few real limitations.

That would be cool. Have it where Kyrie has some engineering skills and helped Nero come up with tech hybrid devil arms.

Akiller

Reuben said Itsuno told him they were discussing about a DMC sequel etc,that was probably said during their meeting last E3. Capcom probably "officialy"(Verendus putting DMC5 on His list back in june makes the discussion rumor even more likely) greenlit the Project after checking DMC4SE sales, indeed after that we got Itsuno's tweet and now this.

It is gonna be a Long wait, Development might have started just some months ago and ,if so, i wouldn't expect more than a short trailer/teaser.I'll take it.

Sephzilla

Reuben said Itsuno told him they were discussing about a DMC sequel etc,that was probably said during their meeting last E3. Capcom probably "officialy"(Verendus putting DMC5 on His list back in june makes the discussion rumor even more likely) greenlit the Project after checking DMC4SE sales, indeed after that we got Itsuno's tweet and now this.

It is gonna be a Long wait, Development might have started just some months ago and ,if so, i wouldn't expect more than a short trailer/teaser.I'll take it.

I have a hunch that DMC5 is a little further along in development than people might actually think. Itsuno's team hasn't officially been working on anything for a while now (DMC4SE wasn't purely made by Itsuno or his team)

Seyavesh

I have a hunch that DMC5 is a little further along in development than people might actually think. Itsuno's team hasn't officially been working on anything for a while now (DMC4SE wasn't purely made by Itsuno or his team)

mocap work means they're pretty far along in development more or less since they've got to have a lot of stuff finalized to get to that stage, including pre-viz shit and whatnot

edit:
example using dmc3:
this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPm0_kE9_AQ
had to come before this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f16vMr1ThWs

and before that stuff happens this has to happen to see what they want from the scene in the first place and help choreograph/direct it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgZOnYdHDhk

RazMaTaz

Banned

Considering they are doing the mo cap now must mean the game must have been in works for a while at least. Acompany does not do mo cap without the game having a solid base and direction at least. Im pretty sure this was mentioned at the DMC reunion as well that mo cap is always towards the last segment of development.

Had it been earlier, and considering how dynamic game changes can be, they will be calling these guys every few months to re shoot a scene.

Akiller

That's true too, but we don't Know anything for sure, we don't Know how Capcom team management works, maybe they put DMC team to support Development of other projects such as DDO,SFV,RE7.

Son Of D

I feel that Dante will be a focus. Since it's been a very long time since OG Dante was the star of his own game. Nero was the star of DMC4 (which was 8 years ago) and then there was DmC with Reboot Dante. Give him the spotlight. Now I'm not saying keep Nero and Vergil away from marketing, but focus on Dante the most and give the other two (plus Lady and Trish) their moments too.

As for release? Can't see it releasing this year. I could see an announcement later this year alongside DMC1-3 for current gen + PC as a 15th anniversary thing with DMC5 releasing in early 2017.

Dahbomb

LOL the image is removed.

Dont worry we got that image immortalized now. Nothing stops this train!

Dante should be a focus but Vergil should be in the story too. Capcom kinda needs to bring out the big guns for this one.

TreIII

I think it'd be interesting if they fleshed out Kyrie because she's essentially a blank slate at this point. They can do whatever they want with her. Maybe she can work on tech or advancements in Devil arms, or accompany/assist Nero. Or heck, make her a junior devil hunter. The series has plenty of female fatales already, so they might not want to rehash that, but I feel like Kyrie is an existing character that they can essentially spawn into an entirely new character with few real limitations.

I will at least concede that much. If they can somehow revamp Kyrie and make her a more interesting character in some way on the same token, great.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if DMC5 tries to do some more genuine worldbuilding while also giving us at least a few new characters (NPCs and maybe one more PC), such that it may be hard to fit in characters like her unless she did get reinvented in some way. So that much is what remains to be seen.

As for release? Can't see it releasing this year. I could see an announcement later this year alongside DMC1-3 for current gen + PC as a 15th anniversary thing with DMC5 releasing in early 2017.

Yeah, I sincerely doubt we'd get a release this year, anyway. This is Bio/RE's year, after all. All I want is a title drop and maybe a cool FMV showing off a sneak peak at Dante's new look at E3, and a teaser for "more to come at TGS".

TreIII

Pffft.

But real talk? I'd actually would be just fine with Vergil being the protagonist, for a change of pace. If he somehow got "reborn" after Nelo Angelo got blown up? Then it would at least make sense, from a gameplay angle, why he has to start from scratch and "re-learn" his abilities and earn a new set of weapons, all over again.

Then that moment comes when he reclaims Yamato (or maybe hooks himself up with a shiny new katana) and he can truly say he's "motivated" once again.

Sephzilla

Dante should be a focus but Vergil should be in the story too. Capcom kinda needs to bring out the big guns for this one.

Main story is Dante fighting off a new threat. Side story is Dante sends Nero off to find his father (Vergil) because shit's getting real and they need Vergil to help fight the new bad guy or something.

E3 2016 announcement with a February 2017 release date. Book it.

Pffft.

But real talk? I'd actually would be just fine with Vergil being the protagonist, for a change of pace. If he somehow got "reborn" after Nelo Angelo got blown up? Then it would at least make sense, from a gameplay angle, why he has to start from scratch and "re-learn" his abilities and earn a new set of weapons, all over again.

Then that moment comes when he reclaims Yamato (or maybe hooks himself up with a shiny new katana) and he can truly say he's "motivated" once again.

I like the idea, but realistically they almost have to make the game Dante focused again. There hasn't been a Devil May Cry game where Dante is the main character since 2005.
The reboot doesn't count

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dante needs to be front and center- protagonist, marketing, trailers, cover... after DmC, it would be foolish to not take advantage of his return.

Mizerman

I would like that so much. Gives Kyrie something other than being a damsel.

Heh.

Sephzilla

Making Kyrie some kind of out-of-the-action member of the group would be a great update for her character. It would also explain what she's been doing since the Order of the Sword went under. Make her the DMC equivalent to Oracle in the Arkham games or something.

Vergil is the most interesting character in the DMC canon. Will be disappointed if he is not involved and his character not explored more.

TreIII

I like the idea, but realistically they almost have to make the game Dante focused again. There hasn't been a Devil May Cry game where Dante is the main character since 2005.
The reboot doesn't count

I think that as long as everybody is reassured that YES, Dante is back, and YES, Dante is a critical character again, he wouldn't necessarily have to have the game focused entirely on him. Promotion material and all that can say otherwise.

It's like how Masamune is still the de facto poster boy of Sengoku BASARA, even as new characters have come along to promote a "new generation of heroes" for fans to like. Masamune's even got himself a spot in Yukimura's new side-game (even though it's supposed to be a game focused on Yukimura's history), for no other reason than because it's Masamune and he's everybody's favorite character. I see no reason this type of thing can't work for DMC, as well.

Sephzilla

Vergil is the most interesting character in the DMC canon. Will be disappointed if he is not involved and his character not explored more.

If DMC5 happens I'd assume the return of Vergil would have to be part of the story. He is almost as popular as Dante himself and Vergil has had some level of presence in all of the games except for DMC2. Vergil is the Vegeta to Dante's Goku.
(Except Vergil doesn't job to villains as much)
(yet)

Arttemis

Pffft.

There's so much potential for story between Dante and Vergil. I really hope they paid several good writers to brainstorm a bunch of ideas for them to choose from.

if capcom dmc3//4 (combat system only) and platinum's bayonetta team had a baby, i'd buy the shit out of it..
i'll consider myself satisfied with a dmc5 for now, thank you capcom :p

TreIII

There's so much potential for story between Dante and Vergil. I really hope they paid several good writers to brainstorm a bunch of ideas for them to choose from.

Story is definitely one thing. But overall, I'm just hoping that they finally bring Vergil back into the mix somehow, so they can just stop dancing around the obvious outstanding issues of "where is he?" and "what has he been doing all these years?".

Ditto if they finally make for a game that takes place after DMC2's place in the timeline, and they can just say that Dante "had a cold that day", and that was why he was acting uncharacteristically subdued during that entire adventure.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'M ABSOLUTELY CUHRAYZEE ABOUT IT!

Rean

LOL the image is removed.

Dont worry we got that image immortalized now. Nothing stops this train!

Dante most likely will be the focus. Nero will probably have the smaller role this time around, but I hope they give him a bunch of new things in gameplay.

If DMC5 happens I'd assume the return of Vergil would have to be part of the story. He is almost as popular as Dante himself and Vergil has had some level of presence in all of the games except for DMC2. Vergil is the Vegeta to Dante's Goku.
(Except Vergil doesn't job to villains as much)
(yet)
Well they had Vergil and Dante teaming up in Project x Zone 2, and Vergil from DMC3 onwards is really Itsuno's creation so I'm sure he'd want him back.

The real question though is when is God Hand 2 coming out?

Sesha

The release date should be easy to predict. What follows is speculative, so bear with me. If we get a full blown announcement with gameplay and everything at E3, then an early 2017 release is likely. But if we only get a teaser or nothing at E3, with a full blown announcement at TGS or later, then it's probably not releasing until early 2018.

I set the cut-off point at the end of March 2018 because they predicted a release by the end of FY2017.
I'm assuming the announcement to release schedules based on previous titles. DMC3 got its first trailer at E3 2004 and released March 2005. DMC4 had one teaser at E3 2005, followed by another one at E3 2006, followed by a proper announcement trailer at TGS 2006, with a release in February 2008. Even DmC was revealed at TGS and released in January.

While DMC4 technically was released 2.5 years before release, and the same for DmC, I doubt they'll go two years or more this time because they've recently been doing shorter announcement-release periods which has worked out fine before, and marketing a title for more than two years is obviously more expensive.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
If it happens, I hope it performs as well on PC as the god-tier port of DMC4 and to some extent DMC4SE.

Vergil having major role in DMC5 is essential to the story if they wanna make any kind of progress with Nero as a character. Not only that but Dante himself needs Vergil if they wanna show anything of worth about his childhood.

Sesha

If it happens, I hope it performs as well on PC as the god-tier port of DMC4 and to some extent DMC4SE.

If it uses UE4 it'll probably run like a dream on PC. Impossible to say if they use Panta Rhei. But either way based on previous PC versions of major Capcom titles it'll probably run butter smooth.

I'd genuinely forgotten about Kyrie. The 3142 artbook makes it clear she was designed to basically be a godess to Nero (her nude model is also on Bael/Dagons feelers), so I'm not sure it's even possible to go anywhere with her character. I imagine they'll pull a Metal Gear Rising and say "ah she's fine" without elaborating, which I'm A-OK with.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Vergil is pretty much essential to have major role in DMC5 if they wanna make any kind of progress with Nero as a character. Not only that but Dante himself needs Vergil if they wanna show anything of worth about his childhood.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Nero could be approached in his role in Fortuna after the fall of the Order. There were a lot of aspects of the Order that weren't fleshed out in DMC4, and maybe characters that both Kyrie and Nero knew that didn't make an appearance. He could continue cleaning up the remnants of the Order. I also don't think that Nero's mother is explored in any particular fashion, though my memory is hazy. And what about Kyrie ' s family outside of Credo? I think there are a lot of options to expanding Nero's back story.

As for Dante, I agree that you cant really delve into his childhood without Vergil, but do they even need to go into his childhood in DMC5? Id much rather it focus on the future, as the entire series has been tethered to this past and the legend Sparda for so long.

I'd definitely like Vergil to be in DMC5, but I wouldn't call him essential for the next title except that he needs to be playable.

TreIII

Vergil having major role in DMC5 is essential to the story if they wanna make any kind of progress with Nero as a character. Not only that but Dante himself needs Vergil if they wanna show anything of worth about his childhood.

Nero is one thing, as that's the one thing we would need to explore in depth if we're ever going to finally close the book on Nero's parentage and if Vergil even knew he was a Daddy (and how he would deal with it, either way).

But the Dante & Vergil story arcI think is something that would need to evolve past their mutual past if either character is going to move forward. Not to mention the entire series probably could stand to move on past "yet MORE Sparda-related business that needs to be cleaned up by his heirs because of reasons".

Top Bottom