• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krokodil, the terrible Russian street drug, has arrived in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

ku-bigpic.jpg

Krokodil, already a popular drug in Russia, has finally made its way to the United States. The Banner Poison Control Center in Arizona has reported two cases of the flesh-rotting drug’s use, believed to be the first in the US. The drug is a mixture of codeine and hydrocarbons like gasoline, paint thinner, or oil that is injected directly into veins. It’s named krokodil because once injected, it rots your skin from the inside out, causing an alligator skin-like appearance. It’s really, really gross. You probably want to avoid the YouTube videos.

Dr. Frank LoVecchio, the co-medical director at Banner's Poison Control Center, said, “we're extremely frightened." He elaborates on the flesh-eating drugs that often sell for ten to 20 times less than the cost of heroin:

"They cause damage to the blood vessels damage to the tissue and there are horrific pictures from Russia that show skin literally falling off the bone."​
He also believes the two cases in Arizona are related, but wouldn’t say more except to add, "Where there is smoke there is fire, and we're afraid there are going to be more and more cases."

http://gawker.com/flesh-eating-drug-krokodil-finally-shows-up-in-the-us-1396358829

Bonus: here's the previous GAF thread about Krokodil

Heysoos

"You probably want to avoid the Youtube videos"

*sigh*

*click*

oh god the flesh is just sliding off the bone

potam

Banned
I can understand to some extent why people would do other drugs.

But why the fuck would you put that in your body?

But the war on drugs would surely prevent such a thing

I mean all that money and effort spent on fighting drugs in the US must have done something right?

grumpy

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST. DO NOT GOOGLE IT. I REPEAT, DO NOT GOOGLE IT.

These images will haunt me to my fucking grave. FUCK.

depths20XX

"This shit will make the skin fall off your bones"

"Yeah, sounds good"

I guess the people taking this shit don't really care if they die.

It fulfills the cravings of heroin addicts but is cheaper than heroin. AFAIK it's not used by anyone who isn't already addicted to heroin.

Tenks

Admittedly I don't understand the use of hard drugs in general but why would you willingly inject something into your body knowing it will cause your skin to rot?

.la1n

I could have swore we already had reports of this a year or two ago. Scary stuff. I know I feel safer with our drug busting squads on the case.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Guys, the reason Krokodil even exists in those other countries is because codeine is legal there. There is literally nothing to worry about. Only idiots will try this.

The kids in Arizona had to drive down to Mexico in order to get codeine to make this. They wasted time and energy and probably spent more than it would cost to get heroin anyway.

I don't understand why anyone would want to do this. Some alcohol and weed smoking is the most I'll ever do, but that's about the worst. This shit right here is just plain fucking idiotic. Knowingly making your flesh fall off to get a high is the most stupid thing I've ever seen or heard of someone doing.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Why would anyone take this? There are lots of ways to get high that don't involve your skin rotting off.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Geez. This stuff.

I doubt people start on it.

My guess is that people start on heroin, and only move to krokodil out of desperation when their addiction has a) rendered them too poor to buy more heroin and b) already ruined their lives so much that they don't care about anything but getting their next fix.

Philia

It could get disguised as something else. :( I can see heroin users buying these as a mark up thinking they're getting heroin. :( But then again, I don't know how these are being marketed or sold as, so I could be off base here.

Why would anyone take this? There are lots of ways to get high that don't involve your skin rotting off.

I was about to say that. FFS get a meth habit, at least you will last a little longer.

I'm guessing this drug is insanely cheap to make and purchase.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Damn, with a name like that I saw expecting something pretty badass but fucking A'.

Humans love to get high, I get it. In my younger days I got high occasionally myself. What's the deal with willingly taking a drug you *know *is going to take the meat off the bone like a delicious roast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom