• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Live] Massive volcano Eruption in Chile (Volcán Calbuco)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ostinatto

ibnWbT0BMMKKRU.jpg

CDSAe2SWYAAdubS.png

pestul

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/calbuc...cuation-of-4-000-people-from-region-1.3044664

"In this situation, with the eruption column so high, the main risk is that it collapses, falls due to gravity because of its own weight and causes a pyroclastic flow," Gabriel Orozco, a vulcanologist with Chile's geological and mining service, said on local TV.

A pyroclastic flow is a superheated current of gas and rock that can destroy nearly everything in its path and travel at speeds upwards of 200 to 300 kilometres per hour.
Well lets hope that doesn't happen.

Adnor

Banned
I'm in Temuco right now (about 400kms from the volcano) and ashes have arrived here.

Hey, another temuquense!

If it becomes to difficult for my grandma to breathe because of the ashes my aunt wants to take her to her home in Santiago. Imagine, going to Santiago because it would be easier to breathe!

Altazor

Hey, another temuquense!

If it becomes to difficult for my grandma to breathe because of the ashes my aunt wants to take her to her home in Santiago. Imagine, going to Santiago because it would be easier to breathe!

LOL, who would've thought.

I hope your grandma's ok, mate.

okno

Those photos are absolutely incredible. My heart goes out to those effected.

Can the pyroclastic flow happen at any time, or is the threat of that over?

FuuRe

So an expert just told to a local newspaper about the arrival of the ash cloud to Santiago, happening tomorrow.

The thing has travelled at least 500kms (310~ miles) atm, Santiago is located 900kms (590~ miles) to the north of the volcano.

Will take pics tomorrow if they are worthy.

Ostinatto

So an expert just told to a local newspaper about the arrival of the ash cloud to Santiago, happening tomorrow.

The thing has travelled at least 500kms (310~ miles) atm, Santiago is located 900kms (590~ miles) to the north of the volcano.

reggie-fils-aime.jpg

Robaperas

idontbelieveyou.gif

Really? That'd be half of Chile under an ash cloud... that seems ominous.

FuuRe

It's official, the volcano is now dual wielding craters

A new crater opened up, due to the huge volcanic activity

Seventy70

So when a volcano releases a bunch of CO2 into the atmosphere it's cute, but when people do it, it's looked down upon? Double standards everywhere. This isn't fair!

FuuRe

I need a picture of that, i wanna believe !!!

Sadly i couldn't find any but check this:

https://twitter.com/Sub_Interior/status/591376802716774402

"Analysis by @sernageomin shows 6 craters in the volcano, 4 of them are minor"

6 craters...

I'm sure i checked that on EMOL (news site) but for the life of me i cannot find the article, they had a picture in there that showed 2 smoke sources in the volcano.

Wanna hear something funny GAF? another major volcano in Chile (Villarrica) started activity a couple hours ago...

mmyYdWO.png

It was fun posting here, sadly i never got a tag, not even a penis related one

Ostinatto

Sadly i couldn't find any but check this:

https://twitter.com/Sub_Interior/status/591376802716774402

"Analysis by @sernageomin shows 6 craters in the volcano, 4 of them are minor"

6 craters...

I'm sure i checked that on EMOL (news site) but for the life of me i cannot find the article, they had a picture in there that showed 2 smoke sources in the volcano.

Wanna hear something funny GAF? another major volcano in Chile (Villarrica) started activity a couple hours ago...

mmyYdWO.png

It was fun posting here, sadly i never got a tag, not even a penis related one

I thought it was Chaiten Volcano.

http://www.biobiochile.cl/2015/04/2...ras-incandescencia-observada-esta-noche.shtml

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Chile gaf is okay. Also i have been wondering why that city is somewhat close to the volcano, seems weird to me to build there.

FuuRe

Ostinatto

What? I don't see anything, what's suppose to be happeniHOLY SHIT RUN AWAY!!!

rough translation

"LLanquihue's national reserve,
Waterfall areas,
Not a lot of people likes to come to these places,
But i believe i'm a brave man, and an adventurer,
beautiful, the volcano in the back....
WOW.... WOW....
Your mother's Cunt !!!"

CTLance

Hahaha, that "wow".
Lucky guy, being able to film that and getting away without getting roasted is pretty dang lucky. Dude should buy a lottery ticket.
I hope Chile gaf is okay. Also i have been wondering why that city is somewhat close to the volcano, seems weird to me to build there.
I wondered about the same thing, but I guess the area around volcanoes has excellent earth for farming, which probably attracted the first settlers. Their offspring will be likely to just stick with the land of their forefathers, being used to the volcano.

Plus, it's not like every eruption results in death. They're rare enough. I mean, tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, meteoroids, war, sickness, famine - there's always some danger. People near volcanoes just add a few thousandths of a percent that there will be a deadly eruption in their lifetime.

Then there's tourism. Can't deny that a nearby volcano will bring in big bucks from curious adventurers and scientists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom