• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.08: "Recon" ("Stop Sending Me Messages Over Live I Don't Have It" Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I object to implying Lighthouse was a shitty episode most of all.

Actually, I object to the "Acting" bit most.

"7. The Honeymoon Stage
After six seasons building toward some kind of all-encompassing rapture with a God-like figure at its center, Lost's finale almost certainly promises more than it can deliver. Those of us who have made the commitment will still watch it, of course, but we're still getting to know FlashForward, and the answers to our questions are coming at a satisfying clip, rather than spinning out of control.

Read more: Why FlashForward Just Might Satisfy More Than Lost -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/03/could_flashforward_prove_to_be.html#ixzz0iwz2co4c"

lol.

threenote

Banned
Nameless said:
That's like saying "Why getting your dick bitten off off is more satisfying than a blow job"
Gymka.gif

gdt5016 said:
That article is literally insane.

Janis Hawk (played by Christine Woods) is an awesome FBI agent with a hot girlfriend (Navi Rawat); she was shot in the stomach but still managed to get pregnant. Somehow in its six seasons, having introduced well over a hundred characters, Lost managed only ever to write in one gay character: Tom Friendly, the scary bearded guy from the Others whom we see back on the mainland with a boyfriend in a single episode. And come on — Boone? Ana Lucia? Both are clearly in denial.

Obviously Jacob is homophobic :(

Mar

TheGreatDave said:
It's not a good show. But it's...passable, I guess.

Idea is; everybody in the world passes out for 2 minutes and *something* seconds, and sees a vision of their life in 6 months time (everyone's flashforward is at the same time, so two people would remember taking to each other in the flashforward). Story focuses around cops trying to figure it all out.

Have low expectations and you may find after a few episodes it's enjoyableish.

Ahh, I'll give it a miss then. Though the story sounds interesting.

I recently discovered The Wire and have borrowed about 4 seasons from a friend. That will keep me busy for a while.

Yaweee

yaaaaaay, more Flashforward discussion.

It's an enjoyable mess. Half of the episodes in the first part of the season are sub-Heroes quality, nobody could remember the characters' names, and there were gargantuan leaps in logic, but it's gotten mostly better. Now, I'm genuinely interested in where things are going, and I like a fair chunk of the cast (except for the three characters that work at the hospital.) Overall, it is like a somewhat stupid, over-the-top cliche cop movie mixed with an intriguing sci-fi plot, with a tendency towards some interesting visuals and a sick sense of humor.

Still, that critic is insane. Some of the anti-LOST talking points have become parody.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
TheGreatDave said:
Janis Hawk (played by Christine Woods) is an awesome FBI agent with a hot girlfriend (Navi Rawat); she was shot in the stomach but still managed to get pregnant. Somehow in its six seasons, having introduced well over a hundred characters, Lost managed only ever to write in one gay character: Tom Friendly, the scary bearded guy from the Others whom we see back on the mainland with a boyfriend in a single episode. And come on — Boone? Ana Lucia? Both are clearly in denial.

Self-loathing?

No one ever considers MiB might be a scorned lover. Old "friend"? riiiiight

Yaweee said:
yaaaaaay, more Flashforward discussion.

It's an enjoyable mess. Half of the episodes in the first part of the season are sub-Heroes quality, nobody could remember the characters' names, and there were gargantuan leaps in logic, but it's gotten mostly better. Now, I'm genuinely interested in where things are going, and I like a fair chunk of the cast (except for the three characters that work at the hospital.) Overall, it is like a somewhat stupid, over-the-top cliche cop movie mixed with an intriguing sci-fi plot, with a tendency towards some interesting visuals and a sick sense of humor.

Still, that critic is insane. Some of the anti-LOST talking points have become parody.

You like Mark, Yaweee? Personally (and judging by all the avatar silliness others do too), I thought he was definitely the weakest link. Overacting, trying to make serious facial expressions that just look silly (kind of like Peterface from Heroes)...I dunno.

I did enjoy the first half of S1, despite some of the bad episodes. I've yet to watch last week's episode, forgot it was on and didn't have the DVR set :(. I may just wait until there's not as much airing weekly again.

Yaweee

Freyjadour said:
You like Mark, Yaweee? Personally (and judging by all the avatar silliness others do too), I thought he was definitely the weakest link. Overacting, trying to make serious facial expressions that just look silly (kind of like Peterface from Heroes)...I dunno.

I did enjoy the first half of S1, despite some of the bad episodes. I've yet to watch last week's episode, forgot it was on and didn't have the DVR set :(. I may just wait until there's not as much airing weekly again.

Mark is a mixed bag for me. I don't think he's as bad of an actor as people make him out to be, but the way he plays the character makes it seem like nobody in their right mind would have ever given him a badge and a gun. However, he's nowhere near the weakest link. Penny, suicidal doctor, and the babysitter are all just horrible.

Favorite characters (from best to least-best):
Simon (can't really say much without talking about this week's episode)
Dmitri (there's not really much that defines him except where he fits into the FF, but I like Cho and the low-key way that he plays the character).
Lloyd (despite coming off like a huge douchebag due to his role in the FF and Mark's vision, he is a sympathetic character and the actor does a good job. He was the main character in the book, so I guess that explains why he seems like a relatively deep character).

I think the most recent episodes were easily the best yet, so you should catch them on Hulu if possible.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Charlie is the only good character in FF.

Dylan is the worst. Annoying brat.
Tool Charlie until the end of 12 to be awesome. In 11 I hated him.

I like the male doctor japanese girl arc. But that was confined and not touched on again.

TheGreatDave said:

I hate shit like that, i guess if we don't see enough of a certain group, someone always cries. what bullshit.

Yaweee said:
Mark is a mixed bag for me. I don't think he's as bad of an actor as people make him out to be, but the way he plays the character makes it seem like nobody in their right mind would have ever given him a badge and a gun. However, he's nowhere near the weakest link. Penny, suicidal doctor, and the babysitter are all just horrible.

Favorite characters (from best to least-best):
Simon (can't really say much without talking about this week's episode)
Dmitri (there's not really much that defines him except where he fits into the FF, but I like Cho and the low-key way that he plays the character).
Lloyd (despite coming off like a huge douchebag due to his role in the FF and Mark's vision, he is a sympathetic character and the actor does a good job. He was the main character in the book, so I guess that explains why he seems like a relatively deep character).

I think the most recent episodes were easily the best yet, so you should catch them on Hulu if possible.

Yeah, I figured it had to do with the role as well considering he's the brother of one of my favorite actors Ralph Fiennes. Either way, you had mentioned before that Lloyd was the main character in the novel, and while it doesn't necessarily fit as well with the overall theme of tension in Penny and Mark's relationship, I think it might have made for more interesting television.

Penny is pennah and the nurse is just as annoying in Mad Men so not very surprised or bothered on either of those fronts.

Wedeck is pretty terrible as well though. Not that his character is particularly deep.

TheGreatDave said:
Charlie is the only good character in FF.

Dylan is the worst. Annoying brat.

I didn't feel like 1-10 really did anything with Charlie, but then again I am one of those "hated him until the last bits of S3" folks. Penny and Charlie were the primary reasons I was giving FF a chance to begin with. (Well, Juliet was a part of me watching V, and I was done after a single episode).

Dylan: Kids playing disabilities in television don't tend to be very convincing. I dunno. Y'all seen Vincent?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Only hours till what is possibly the greatest episode of LOST.

JGS

Banned
ThLunarian said:
I don't think this has been covered yet. If it has been, my bad, but I just had a "Holy shit" moment.

In "Dr Linus", Flocke shows up to Ben while he's digging the grave and tells him to go to Hydra Island and meet up with everyone.

Now, this was before Sawyer ever went on his trip over there, and we know that because Widmore hadn't arrived yet at this point.

Why would Flocke send Ben over to Hydra Island if he wasn't sure what might be found over there? Why wouldn't he tell Ben where he and the rest of the group would actually be?

Was Flocke sending Ben to Hydra Island so he would die along with the rest of the Ajira survivors?
After seeing Recon I was under the impression that the those events were taking place the morning directly after the Temple massacre. Flocke was with the group, Sawyer, or Kate for much of the day but not during the late afternoon/night.

The Dr. Linus episode takes place after the massacre too, but later in the day. Ben had been digging all day long and then is met by Flocke after the events of Recon.

For all we know at this point, Smokey & Widmore are in cahoots and are the "group" he's talking about. We still don't know what his intentions are with his current group of followers.

That's all hypothetical.

I got the impression that he was simply using Ben to kill Jacob's bodyguard and didn't care what happened to Ben in the first place. This showed Ben was the victor in two different ways. He chose the "right" side (in his mind) and he also was not duped the way he had always been before as well as not following in Locke's gullible footsteps.

EDIT: My timeline is off because Widmore's sub didn't land on the island until after Ben officially joined Team Jacob. I guess this means that Flocke's company were travelling for a day and the events of Recon happened the next day after Dr. Linus. That would give Widmore time to land and set up shop.

syoaran

DeathNote said:
Tool Charlie until the end of 12 to be awesome. In 11 I hated him.

I like the male doctor japanese girl arc. But that was confined and not touched on again.

It will, I think they confirmed as much. I like the arc because its pretty light-hearted - she has a very nice smile.

In Recon, I realised the one thing I feel is a shame is that there was no deep connection between Pierre and Miles, was hoping to see him in the episode in some form or another. Quite worried that Pierre's backround (why he changed name, what he did after the incident) will never be touched on. Since Dr.Linuis did confirm they were on the island, I was hoping that would have been talked about it in some way as I doubt Miles will be given an episode of his own.

Nameless

syoaran said:
It will, I think they confirmed as much. I like the arc because its pretty light-hearted - she has a very nice smile.

In Recon, I realised the one thing I feel is a shame is that there was no deep connection between Pierre and Miles, was hoping to see him in the episode in some form or another. Quite worried that Pierre's backround (why he changed name, what he did after the incident) will never be touched on. Since Dr.Linuis did confirm they were on the island, I was hoping that would have been talked about it in some way as I doubt Miles will be given an episode of his own.

Really don't think their needs to be. Instead of Miles and his Mom leaving the Island the whole family left.

Nameless

pix said:
Tonight..... YOU!

Richard: "I've seen things on this Island, John. Things I can barely explain but I've never seen anyone come back from the dead.

Flocke: And I've never seen anyone who doesn't age. Doesn't mean it can't happen.

These things, Richard. What are they!!?

Nameless

Calcaneus said:
That's not important right now. C'mon let's go.

I do wonder what they'll touch on..

-How the Black Rock got to the middle of The Island?
-The Statue falling?
-"I saw them all die"(I thin it's pretty clear but I wonder if we'll see it from R.A.'s perspective"
-The Purge behind the scenes?
-The formation of the Others?
-His relationship with Jacob?
-Chains?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Nameless said:
I do wonder what they'll touch on..

-How the Black Rock got to the middle of The Island?
-The Statue falling?
-"I saw them all die"(I thin it's pretty clear but I wonder if we'll see it from R.A.'s perspective"
-The Purge behind the scenes?
-The formation of the Others?
-His relationship with Jacob?
Well probably get a lot of this stuff answered.

Totally expect "Good to see you out of those chains." in the dialogue tonight.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
fuck it
I'm going to sleep so time goes by faster ( in essence, time traveling to a time where this episode has already aired).

LOST

Nameless

Jibril said:
fuck it
I'm going to sleep so time goes by faster ( in essence, time traveling to a time where this episode has already aired).

LOST

Don't forget that time is like a street. You can move forward on that street, you can move backwards, but you can never create a new street.

bionic77

Jibril said:
Only hours till what is possibly the greatest episode of LOST.
I don't think it will be the greatest (that is still the Constant), but I think that this episode will answer more questions than any other episode before it.

At this point the biggest mysteries involve Jacob, Smokey and Richard. After tonight there will only be two.

Nameless

bionic77 said:
I don't think it will be the greatest (that is still the Constant), but I think that this episode will answer more questions than any other episode before it.

At this point the biggest mysteries involve Jacob, Smokey and Richard. After tonight there will only be two.

While Jibril doesn't fall into this category, I'm sure some will love it JUST for the answers.

duckroll

yacobod said:
i think ppl expecting a lot of answers in tonights episode are going to be disappointed

Richard already admitted this season that he doesn't know jack shit, so I won't be surprised at all.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
yacobod said:
i think ppl expecting a lot of answers in tonights episode are going to be disappointed
I'm lowering my expectations to "Answers will be most answered (polar bear style), the rest will be teased with massive hints at something further down the line."

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The only question i really want answered is where is all of this heading? Even if most of the characters on the show dont know, i think its kind of important that the audience has an inkling as to whats at stake.

duckroll said:
Richard already admitted this season that he doesn't know jack shit, so I won't be surprised at all.
He doesn't have to know what Jacobs plan is, or even what Jacob is or how he does what he does. But just having the episode focus on Richard is in itself going to offer answers. Just what has this guy been up to on the island for all of these years, how did he go from being (we assume) a slave on a ship (which somehow ends up in the centre of the island) to Jacobs right hand man. I don't think we're going to get solid answers to fundamental questions, but I think a lot of island history is going to be filled in and fleshed out.

Yaweee

I think people have a counter-productive expectation for "answers", where they'll discount anything that doesn't directly explain what they want to know down to the last detail. To me, tangential explanation and details are every bit as meaningful. I guess that's why I actually liked how Dogen fit into the story.

Yaweee said:
I think people have a counter-productive expectation for "answers", where they'll discount anything that doesn't directly explain what they want to know down to the last detail. To me, tangential explanation and details are every bit as meaningful. I guess that's why I actually liked how Dogen fit into the story.
I also think a lot of people who beg for nothing but answers have been doing so for so long that they've forgotten what they actually want answered. The answering has been over such a long period, with puzzles and stories being but together bit by bit rather than answers dealt out at once that I actually find it hard to find major questions that don't relate to Jacob and the MIB, and they're relatively new mysteries. There are a handful of things I want answered, but I feel that most things introduced on the show have been dealt with to a satisfactory degree.

gdt

I think tonight we'll get alot of back story, and fill in a ton of stuff dealing with the Island/it's past. Don't know how much we'll get on Jacob as it relates to the current going ons on the Island (seeing as Richard didn't know this was all about to go down).

Color me very excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom