• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.10: "The Package" (You Ever Notice The Arrow In The Fed Ex Logo? Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekad

Banned
Dead said:
Didn't like Hawaii IIRC

Lostpedia is amazing.

Akinnuoye-Agbaje asked to be written off the series. After losing both parents last year, he wanted to return to his London home and work on a film he'll direct.

Elizabeth Mitchell, who plays Juliet, got to know him off the set. "We got along really well," she says. "He's about to direct his first movie about his life, which is an incredible story. He'll be missed."

ZeoVGM

Banned
Season 2 is still fantastic television. Every season of this show is great but I do have slight issues with every season except the first.

2 = Overly dragging out the hatch and Walt plots.
3 = The Hydra station stuff.
4 = The complete mishandling of Michael's return.
5 = Nothing too major but I was very disappointed at the lack of Desmond.

While i totally agree that season 2 is a bit of a drag in retrospect, I doubt any of you would honestly say you didnt enjoy the fuck out of watching it every week. It wasn't like the beginning of season 3 where we where vocally annoyed.

Since I watched everything in marathons last year... I loved every single bit. My one and only complaint was Desmond being off the screen too long. Also, I want more episodes.

I hope they do him justice tomorrow.

Aesius

omg rite said:
Season 2 is still fantastic television. Every season of this show is great but I do have slight issues with every season except the first.

2 = Overly dragging out the hatch and Walt plots.
3 = The Hydra station stuff.
4 = The complete mishandling of Michael's return.
5 = Nothing too major but I was very disappointed at the lack of Desmond.

The scenes with Desmond and Locke from Live Together, Die Alone are still my favorite of the entire series. The rest of S2 was kind of crap, though.

cnizzle06

Banned
I really don't understand how anyone can say season 2 was bad. It was so damn stylistic.

I mean, a hatch, blast doors, a freakin' clock that counts down from 108. Everything was so individualistic and mysterious. It really had me glued each episode.

Dilly

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
I really don't understand how anyone can say season 2 was bad. It was so damn stylistic.

I mean, a hatch, blast doors, a freakin' clock that counts down from 108. Everything was so individualistic and mysterious. It really had me glued each episode.

The egyptian signs at the end of the countdown, the map projected on the blast door.

I liked the atmosphere of season 2.

Dead

well not really...yet
Dilly said:
The egyptian signs at the end of the countdown, the map projected on the blast door.

I liked the atmosphere of season 2.
I was hoping we'd see something about the creation of the button in Season 6.

Would have been interesting if Jacob/Others helped Dharma build the current hatch, with those Egyptian symbols as a clue.

I mean, the creation of the hatch would have been in the interest of everyone on the Island. And since the Others never seemed to have attacked the Hatch after Dharma left, I'd assume they'd have known not to mess with it.

RedShift

Dead said:
I was hoping we'd see something about the creation of the button in Season 6.

Would have been interesting if Jacob/Others helped Dharma build the current hatch, with those Egyptian symbols as a clue.

I mean, the creation of the hatch would have been in the interest of everyone on the Island. And since the Others never seemed to have attacked the Hatch after Dharma left, I'd assume they'd have known not to mess with it.
How did Ben react to being taken there in S2?

I do love a lot of season two. It gave us Ben and Desmond, two awesome characters. The problem with it was the pacing, I expect it'd be perfect to watch quickly in a box set so you wouldn't have to wait a week to see not much happen.

Milk Lizard said:
No. That is Jack and Kate.

Tomorrow for some (me included).

DofAo.gif

You dare disagree with me on both cases??? :mad:

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Watched National Treasure....Jacob is in there too! He's calling me to the Island.. fuuuuu
also had a dream about Lost again. But I can't remember what it was. I need to find my constant.

Solo

Nameless, Speeding and thekad dropping the REAL TALK about S2. Good stuff! Ill watch Sawyer catch treefrogs anyday over Jack dropping nukes.

Also, its not just the Jack/Locke stuff which is at its peak during S2, but also the Desmond/Locke scenes in Live Together, Die Alone are easily amongst the best scenes in the entire fucking series. So fucking good.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Solo said:
Nameless, Speeding and thekad dropping the REAL TALK about S2. Good stuff! Ill watch Sawyer catch treefrogs anyday over Jack dropping nukes.

I'm with Blader (a.k.a Jacob) on this. "Jacob as never lied to me before."

Season 2 was meh.
Jack is the new Locke. Accept it Solo!

YAY!!!1111 I finally finished watching season 1 - 6 just in the past month and a half, and now I'm finally current and can participate in these threads. :D

I've enjoyed the series but it definitely must suck watching it week to week since it feels like one long show. Even the season finales give no actual finality. But if you can watch it all at once like I did, then it really doesn't matter.

I would say I probably liked Seasons 1-2 the best in terms of suspense. You didn't know if there were super-natural powers/events on the island or all man-made contraptions. We had no idea of the "Others" were super-human natives or just regular people. What was the purpose of the hatches and the Darma initiative?

Season 3 was interesting but it made the "Others" more normal and therefore less mysterious. Also I was starting to get a little annoyed with Kate's pendulum movements between Sawyer and Jack. But the later half the season was good.

I forget which season started the time traveling (4 or 5), but it was starting to feel a little too much at times. But nice thing though is that the characters (usually via Hurly) are self-aware about some of these leaps of logic. But I think season 5 was probably my least favorite.

That said, I'm really happy that Lost has remained watchable after all this time. After watching Heroes free-fall into utter crap and mediocrity, I was worried the same thing would happen to Lost. Yes there are some plot holes and things just made up on the spot, but for the most part the writers seem to know where they're going and they give a damn. The fact that Lost thread episodes still get large amounts of posts means they're dong something right.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Think tonight's episode will be good? Last week was meh.

UnLocke is getting more and more cartoony. I guessed the Desmond reveal, Sawyer hasn't done anything all season and Jack is the new Lock. So far, the best episode has been Richards.

InaudibleWhispa said:
They haven't included the gap between episodes 13 and 14, instead wrongly assuming the missing week must be before the finale.

And it's properly confirmed fo sho that is when the break will be?

I'd really rather have it before the finale, but your statement seems familiar.

TheGreatDave said:
And it's properly confirmed fo sho that is when the break will be?

I'd really rather have it before the finale, but your statement seems familiar.
Yup, the ABC Primetime Schedule says that they're re-airing Ab Aeterno on April 27th.

Every week DarkUFO gets most of the biggest Lost sites and reporters to rate the latest episode. Can you believe that someone gave The Package an 'F', Sundown a 'D', Ab Aeterno a 'B' and What Kate Does an... 'A+'

InaudibleWhispa said:
Yup, the ABC Primetime Schedule says that they're re-airing Ab Aeterno on April 27th.

Every week DarkUFO gets most of the biggest Lost sites and reporters to rate the latest episode. Can you believe that someone gave The Package an 'F', Sundown a 'D', Ab Aeterno a 'B' and What Kate Does an... 'A+'
where does the abc primetime schedule say that? I can't navigate past the 12th.

InaudibleWhispa said:

I can believe there are terrible people that like Kate, yes.

...*leaves thread*

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Kate needs to die soon. We got close in the Sawyer episode, it needs to happen soon...

Yaweee

InaudibleWhispa said:

When you take lots of reviews, you're going to get a pretty wide range of opinions. If you go back through the old threads, I'm certain you'll find GAFfer remarks that sound like B reviews for AA, or D reviews for Sundown.

For the people that gave What Kate Does high marks...

... one was a Sawyer fan site....

... and the other rated it the lowest of the season (A+ is the lowest score the reviewer gave, instead using ridiculous scores like A+++ and A++++ for the other, better episodes.

Overall, the general review trends aren't really that far off from the Metacritic rankings.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/nymag/vulture/~3/4x_VhuopF44/losts_sheila_kelley_on_zoes_go.html
Lost’s Sheila Kelley on Zoe’s Goal, Geophysics, and Pole-Dancing
from Vulture by Amos Barshad
1 person liked this - you

A few weeks ago, Sheila Kelley — who plays Zoe, the geophysicist working for Charles Widmore, a character first introduced three episodes ago — caused a mini Lost freakout when she gave an interview saying “Zoe has the answer. Zoe knows.” Kelley quickly played down her character’s significance, but it’s turning out Zoe does know a thing or two: Last week she was seen leading a beach raid, dangling an important-looking electromagnetic hot-spot map, and even getting snappy with Widmore. In the interest of doubling up ahead of tonight’s episode, Vulture recently caught up with Kelley. Yes, we asked about her side gig as a pole-dancing instructor. (See here.)

You just finished shooting a week and a half ago. What was the feeling on-set when you left?
The feeling on the set — it’s like Christmas Eve. Everyone’s thinking about what’s coming, what does the future await? People are excited and unsure, I guess. You don’t know if you’re getting coal in your stocking or a big, huge red bicycle. But it’s an amazing set; the cast and the crew are just phenomenal. The only other set … you know the film director, John Sayles? He creates a very similar hometown, intimate, family feel on-set.

You recently did an interview that got you some attention. Did Lindelof and Cuse reach out afterward to maybe try to silence you a bit?
I didn’t say anything that would make anyone blink an eye except for the way that it was presented. With every script that an actor receives, they watermark the name on every single page, so I think that the writer who wrote that [my name was on every page] just didn’t quite understand what I was saying. I just needed to clarify for the press what was really said … I have total respect for how the producers want Lost to enter the consciousness of America. They wanna give people a really pure experience. I bought into it hook, line, and sinker.

What about when you sign on? Is there some secretive Lost training to ensure that you don’t accidentally give away spoilers?
[Laughs.] Yes, they surgically implant microchips in your brain that will explode if you say anything inappropriate … they just ask to keep everything private, to talk about what’s already aired. As an actress, they don’t tell you what’s coming up, they don’t tell you what’s happening to anybody or anything, and then when you get the script, you’re living in real time. Like, what I did to Jin, about the map, I was pointing out to him the electromagnetic pockets. I didn’t know why, at the time I shot it. I was 100 percent committed to getting info on the electromagnetic pockets, but I didn’t know why. Then the next script comes and you understand.

So do you actually know how the show ends now?
I don’t think anyone knows how the show ends. They printed out everything but left out the final scene. It’s awesome. And they put it together and cut it together in such a way that it’s so different from shooting it to how it ends up onscreen that you’re learning and you’re experiencing along almost the same time as the audience.
I’ve done ER, Sopranos, a lot of TV shows where I’ve never had that sense of surprise when I’ve seen it on the TV. It’s kind of cool.

How much do you now know about geophysics?
Well, my sister is a geophysicist. When I was first approached to do the part, I think I threw that out there, that she might be a geophysicist because she’s a scientist and she’s working with the geography of the island. I have a geological bent in my family. I like rocks, what can I say.

Zoe doesn’t seem to be intimidated by Widmore — is there a reason for that?
I think she’s a different breed than what he’s used to, and I think that’s why she’s so interesting to him. She doesn’t cow to anybody. She’s pretty driven, and she’s driven toward a goal, and she believes that she’ll find what she’s looking for. Come hell or high water, the island be damned, she’ll find what she’s looking for. I don’t think that anyone’s gonna scare her.

How long has she been working for him?
I think she’s been working for him a couple of years, and she’s been preparing [for the island] for a couple of months. She’s gone over the geography of the island, the info from the Dharma Initiative, and the dossiers of all the people involved. She’s like a little machine; she’s got it. And I think she knows, and believes, that Charles is a good guy.

How important will Zoe’s map be?
I can’t tell you! But did it surprise you last week that the package was Desmond? And did you at all last week say maybe Widmore is not that bad of a guy? Things are never as they seem.
Seems like she smarted up, thankfully.

Yaweee said:
When you take lots of reviews, you're going to get a pretty wide range of opinions. If you go back through the old threads, I'm certain you'll find GAFfer remarks that sound like B reviews for AA, or D reviews for Sundown.

For the people that gave What Kate Does high marks...

... one was a Sawyer fan site....

... and the other rated it the lowest of the season (A+ is the lowest score the reviewer gave, instead using ridiculous scores like A+++ and A++++ for the other, better episodes.

Overall, the general review trends aren't really that far off from the Metacritic rankings.
I agree with all of that, and I have no problem with anyone liking the Kate episode. Some people love every episode regardless, and obviously Kate will have her fans. But that one guys ratings in particular stood out to me. I've never come across a fan of the show that thinks like that. Obviously it's subjective, but it's still pretty weird rating the Kate episode, which the vast majority of people think is the seasons weakest link, higher than everything that followed, even going as far as to give The Package an 'F'. What a weird fan.

Yaweee

InaudibleWhispa said:
I agree with all of that, and I have no problem with anyone liking the Kate episode. Some people love every episode regardless, and obviously Kate will have her fans. But that one guys ratings in particular stood out to me. I've never come across a fan of the show that thinks like that. Obviously it's subjective, but it's still pretty weird rating the Kate episode, which the vast majority of people think is the seasons weakest link, higher than everything that followed, even going as far as to give The Package an 'F'. What a weird fan.

Sawyer fan site, and presumably a Skater. WKD had one of Kate and Sawyer's best scenes together (the dock).

The Package review might seem weird, but I really wasn't a fan of the episode so I don't disagree that much.

First time watching LOST live on tv tonight omggggggggggggggggg excite.

Why does it air at 7pm in Canada and 9pm in the states? Do Americans stay out of here after 7pm or do Canadians have to spoiler tag everything about the episode until 10pm?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
criesofthepast said:

Why does it air at 7pm in Canada and 9pm in the states? Do Americans stay out of here after 7pm or do Canadians have to spoiler tag everything about the episode until 10pm?

You been playing catchup this whole time, and finally made it to "Live''? Congrats on that then, made it just in time to enjoy a few weeks of the 2nd half of the Lost Experience...Discussion with other people over WTF is going on. Schizo-Talk!

Usual procedure when it comes to the Canadian viewers seeing it before hand is: To watch it and type nothing during it (at miminum, some "whoa!" or "Duuuude" comments, nothing specific), introduce some talk about what just happened during the American broadcast (if they are rewatching with us Americans), and then open to conversation after the episode ends here.

Well, the American East Coast presentation at 8 EST/7 CST. West Coasters are pretty much out during this whole time, because during the American EST showing, it's full out conversations (mostly during comercials)

Solo

criesofthepast said:

Look at this very thread as example. us Canadians watched it, talked about it amongst ourselves, spoiler tagged all discussion, and no one (Americans) got upset over it. I shall be doing the same tonight.

Basically: watch the episode at 7, spoiler tag all discussion from 7-10, and dont drop hints during the American broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom