• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.13: "The Last Recruit" (Citizens On Patrol/[S. Guttenberg Joke] Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to the the food drop, Damon and Carlton addressed it in the podcast before Recon and they didn't say it would be answered this season, they said that it would be answered but possibly not in the show.

I think it's simply the fact that small answers like that which they do have can only be answered in the show if the situation calls for it and they're not going to force it in (since people felt the whispers answer felt too blunt and forced, it makes sense). I see no situation where that should naturally come up and if there isn't going to be one, they should leave it alone.

Besides, I find their answer much more interesting -- the fact that they are willing to fill in details after the show has aired. Though that is probably going to piss some people off who'll say "Why didn't you answer it on the show? You just didn't have an answer and you're making it up now", personally I don't care as long as the answers I care about are answered on the show, and whilst the Dharma drop is a nice little question (which I think we can form numerous simple conclusions to), it really doesn't bother me too much.

Solo

Gamer @ Heart said:
Can some PM me if they have any clue whether we will get another mythos episode before this is over? I just feel like they cant possible explain most of these things with the story they have to tell with the main characters.

Just a yes or a no. I dont want to risk going into the spoiler thread.

I can confirm that the answer is no. The show will end with 5 standalone eps not connected to the mythology.

fireside

ahoyhoy said:
They didn't need to know the boring shit that they were writing, only that they kept writing it without question. It was a study of loyalty and obedience in a Milgram experiment type of way. Why they had to test this on the island, however, is still up to question.
Maybe it wasn't just a psychological experiment; perhaps they were also there to make sure the Swan people weren't getting too crazy.

Solo

threenote said:
I'm more excited for the S5 soundtrack than any upcoming episode of Lost. COME ON MAY 11.

Hmmm....let me see....the weakest score of the series vs. the final 5 eps of the series. Yeah, Ill take the lower echelon Giacc!

Solo said:
I can confirm that the answer is no. The show will end with 5 standalone eps not connected to the mythology.
Episode 14 - Diamonds are Forever - Nikki and Paolo
Episode 15 - All Dogs Go To Pergatory - Vincent
Episode 16 - Cuntface - Zoe
Episode 17 - Adam and Eve - Rose and Bernard (Finale Part 1)
Episode 18 - The Resurrection of The Boss - Caesar (Finale Part 2)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Jak140 said:
Except, then why are they dumping them in the jungle? At least dump them into a garbage bin in a building. Who the fug builds a pneumatic tube system that just drops shit in the middle of the jungle? And if it was a psychological experiment, you would think they would at least be interested in what the patients were writing, right?
Why would they want to dump them into a garbage bin and have to take care of their disposal? I guess they just didn't care about what was written there, so they had everything thrown into a dumping ground somewhere and called it a day.
Radzinsky doesn't care about the environment, you know.

JGS

Banned
Jak140 said:
It makes sense if you don't mind imagining a convoluted explanation.
TV Series are supposed to have convoluted explanations that make sense. That what keeps them going. Otherwise you have Family Guy.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Solo said:
Hmmm....let me see....the weakest score of the series vs. the final 5 eps of the series. Yeah, Ill take the lower echelon Giacc!

Season 5 introduced Jacob's theme.

Therefore, FAIL.

Solo

omg rite said:
Season 5 introduced Jacob's theme.

Therefore, FAIL.

Yes, one of a whopping two decent cues ALL SEASON. Giacc was the one who failed. We already discussed this earlier, but he was quite clearly spread too thin in 2009, and turned in subpar work across the board, especially compared to his 2007 (LOST S3, Ratatouille), 2008 (LOST S4, Speed Racer) and 2010 so far. 1 movie and LOST seems to be the right amount for him. 2 movies plus LOST was too much.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Jak140 said:
It makes sense if you don't mind imagining a convoluted explanation.
Liiike, the people that were supposed to be collecting them got wiped out in a purge? Is that too convoluted?

Solo

Nobody was supposed to be collecting them. Hence dumping them in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. The experiment wasnt on the Swan workers, whose job was actually real, but on the Pearl people, whose wasnt. Some other team was watching the Pearl people who were watching the Swan people.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Solo said:
Nobody was supposed to be collecting them. Hence dumping them in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. The experiment wasnt on the Swan workers, whose job was actually real, but on the Pearl people, whose wasnt. Some other team was watching the Pearl people who were watching the Swan people.
This is getting convoluted, dude.

watkinzez

Solo said:
Yes, one of a whopping two decent cues ALL SEASON. Giacc was the one who failed. We already discussed this earlier, but he was quite clearly spread too thin in 2009, and turned in subpar work across the board, especially compared to his 2007 (LOST S3, Ratatouille), 2008 (LOST S4, Speed Racer) and 2010 so far. 1 movie and LOST seems to be the right amount for him. 2 movies plus LOST was too much.

Actually, four films plus Lost.
I don't think he planned for Star Trek getting delayed six months. :lol

Solo

Well, there you go. Stretched WAAAAAAY too thin. I dont think hes working on a whole lot right now, which is why LOST's S6 score has been so awesome.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
KevinCow said:
Looking at the past few pages, it seems that you guys have finally gone completely insane. Congratulations.
I think this happened long ago.

Solo said:

There were people who didnt know this?

Dumbasses :lol

brandonh83 said:
I thought it was pretty easy to understand. They took Walt so that they could use Michael to round up the people that they wanted. Michael was so hellbent on saving Walt that they knew he'd do whatever they needed him to do, and that he would try his absolute damndest for Walt's sake. That's just what I always assumed, I didn't think that much more into it to be honest.
Seems an easier way would've been to kidnap Michael and Walt together, rather than just take Walt and hope Michael survives his way to the Others.

At the time I figured it wasn't necessarily so much Walt that was special, but that since they couldn't reproduce naturally they had to kidnap kids like Walt, Alex, and those two from the tail section to replenish their numbers. Learning they could come and go from the island relatively easily hurt that, though.
Dead said:
However, I think its hard to deny that they had setup a potentially vastly different plotline for Walt until his aging forced him off the show
When I realized how slowly the show was going compared to real time I knew something would have to give with Walt, unless one of the island's mysteries was related to Walt aging like Robin Williams in Jack. It's not like his aging should've caught them by surprise, though, so any wasted buildup is firmly on the writers/producers.
duckroll said:
Btw, did we ever find out where the Dharma food drop came from? Or are we just expected to believe that pressing a button on an old computer in The Flame, automatically summons a plane which drops a food crate at the Hatch, even though Dharma has been wiped out for at least a decade, and the island has special powers to prevent it from being found? :lol
At the time I figured that either whatever remained of Dharma off-island kept sending shipments with the understanding that loooong periods would go without communication, or that the Others had taken over Dharma but knew the button-pressing was necessary and just kept sending food over rather than staff it themselves.
Blader5489 said:
The past.

Think of Faraday's rocket experiment.
Though the time difference is much greater, that might explain one drop, but to keep 1-2 guys fed for over a decade they would've needed occasional restocking.

As long as things we're not sure ever got answered is the topic, what about Aaron needing to be baptized? Or was that just part of what they needed to do to make everyone hate Charlie for a while?

EDIT:
Drealmcc0y said:
There were people who didnt know this?

Dumbasses :lol
Yeah, but I'd still think that if you're bothering to build a tube system you'd have some reason for the destination. Straight into an incinerator, into the ocean, I don't know. At the time I thought maybe something used to be there but wasn't anymore.

Radogol

omg rite said:
HOLY SHIT ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!!?!?!?!
:lol

EDIT:

Oh, by the by. I'm suffering from Lost withdrawal and watched the first four episodes of Season One yesterday. So, why is Flocke no longer knocking trees over? :lol

YoungHav

Banned
wait, no Lost this week? Fuuuuuuh!

what is wrong with Jacob's theme? Isn't it the song that plays in the last episode of season 5 when Jacob is making a sweater and gets some fish? Great song. Jacob is the bad guy b/c the synths on that are sinister and he was eating red mackarel.

:lol @ some peoples theories throughout this season. The one I absolutely hated was when Said gets drowned and comes back, monkeys online were like "OMG Jacob is reborn in Sayid!!". lol C'mon, MIB coming back as Locke was like a season's worth of buildup and involved trickery and a big plot twist for the finale. They weren't going to just cheapen all that by repeating it on a whim.

Radogol said:
EDIT:

Oh, by the by. I'm suffering from Lost withdrawal and watched the first four episodes of Season One yesterday. So, why is Flocke no longer knocking trees over? :lol
:lol . You didn't know? It doesn't matter if the story doesn't add up, look at the story as it is NOW and conveniently ignore all the inconsistencies, plot holes, and loose ends. Hahahah seriously though, S1 Flockemonster would've killed Widmore, Tina Fey, and that Fat kid from 24 who's dad was a Nazi on OZ by now.

KevinCow

Banned
celcius said:
Please say this isn't true...

It's true. And if you turn on your TV tomorrow at 9, there will be no Lost next week either. Also ignore the thread that's going to pop up tomorrow, as it is a lie.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Well, LOST-GAF, I bid you adieu.

I'm exiting myself from all LOST discussion until after the finale. I can't risk "guesses" being spoilers in disguise and I really don't want this epic of epics spoiled by some asshole who thinks it'd be funny to ruin the ending of LOST for everyone.

No more darkufo, no more gaf-lost threads, no more youtube comments, no more Aint-it-cool-news (they put spoilers in their freakin headlines); I'm out.

It's been a fun six years.

See ya on the other side.

DrEvil said:

I'm exiting myself from all LOST discussion until after the finale. I can't risk "guesses" being spoilers in disguise and I really don't want this epic of epics spoiled by some asshole who thinks it'd be funny to ruin the ending of LOST for everyone.

No more darkufo, no more gaf-lost threads, no more youtube comments, no more Aint-it-cool-news (they put spoilers in their freakin headlines); I'm out.

talking about lost is a big part of the fun

Nimyh

Banned
Solo said:
Weakest score? Having listened to the soundtrack recently I agree there are some amazing tracks in the first seasons, but all this time watching the series itself, I have to admit the first time I noticed any memorable music was in the season 5 finale. Well maybe except for that silly piano theme that dominated season 3, never liked that one much.

KevinCow

Banned
I hope we get some Hollywood & Vines in these last few episodes. We haven't heard that one in a while. If the finale doesn't have an epic trek across the island to H&V, it will be incomplete.

Kurtofan

Yes!!!
Lost season 6 will start airing the 5th of May on French television!
I know you probably don't care but that means I won't have to wait a year before buying the DVDs :D (hopefully)

Btw I love how the French episode titles are always totally different from the original ones
LA X(part 1):On efface tout...(Erase everything...)

LA X(part 2):...Et on recommence.(...And start all over again.)

What Kate Does:Cours,Kate,cours(Run,Kate,run)
Forrest Gump reference:lol

The Substitute:Le Remplaçant(the substitute) that one doesn't change.

the others are unknown yet but I'll let you know guys.

MMaRsu

Banned
Agreed with KevinCow, H&V is one of the best themes in Lost imo. Anyway, this thread sure took a turn for the hilarious :p.

gdt

That's not a Forrest Gump reference :lol.

Anywho, yeah, S5 is obviously the weakest scored season, I wouldn't argue with that, and I love S5.

Solo

The music I can remember from S5:
- Jacob's awesome theme
- The great piece that ran alongside the Swan hatch conclusion

Jak140

Solo said:
Obviously, that was the implied explanation. I'm just saying that having a complex pneumatic pipe system that drops shit straight into the middle of the jungle is stupid/would never happen. It would go to a waste facility or something. Not just drop shit in the middle of the jungle. They added that extra layer of mystery on for no reason except for extra mindfuckyness when it easily could have been shown in a way that would be more logically acceptable. Anyway, I never meant to bring it up as a major sticking point, hence me bringing it up in response to a question about the Hurelybird of all things.

Kurtofan

gdt5016 said:
That's not a Forrest Gump reference :lol.

It isn't?
I was sure they said "Run,Forrest,run!" in the movie.
I saw it a long time ago though so I can be wrong.

Edit:
when the bullies from school were chasing him]
Jenny Curran: Run, Forrest! Run!

source:IMDB.com

ZAK

I figured the tube used to be inside a building which was destroyed long ago. But the tube remained for some reason. I never thought about it too hard; seems my explanation makes no sense. :lol

I do remember being very displeased they didn't bother to read through the notebooks. It could explain what the hatch is all about!

DrEvil said:

Same with me brotha, see you on the other side.

Jak140

ZAK said:
I figured the tube used to be inside a building which was destroyed long ago. But the tube remained for some reason. I never thought about it too hard; seems my explanation makes no sense. :lol

A building of which there is zero apparent sign of ever existing, except for a plastic pneumatic pipe...

BTW. Kate's horse, guys. Kate's horse. Kate's motherfucking horse. Think about it.

ZAK said:
I do remember being very displeased they didn't bother to read through the notebooks. It could explain what the hatch is all about!

Well there was the small matter of seeing the black smoke signal in the distance and michael leading them into a trap :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom