• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.14: "The Candidate" (Vote Silas Adams For Deadwood Police Chief Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Sir Garbageman said:
Really like this idea. Hopefully we know for sure one way or the other before tonight's ep is done.

Yeah, great theory Duckroll. I hope that's the outcome, I like it the most.

Zeliard

duckroll said:
My theory is entirely based on the assumption that Jacob is not "chill" but has simply reached a "I don't give a fuck" stage in his life after thousands of years. I'm sure he had a lot of time to get over any rage he would have had.

The guy is definitely very zen-like. Jacob is the Buddha, confirmed.

duckroll

Zeliard said:
The guy is definitely very zen-like. Jacob is the Buddha, confirmed.

Buddha is not a smug douchebag. Well, maybe Jacob is a western Buddha. Asians don't really make good smug douchebags. :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
I doubt Jacob will portrayed in a positive light tonight.

I think I see the show going more for a "break" of the Islands status quo, and showcasing that Jacob in reality isnt much better than MIB will make the road to the finale clearer

Zeliard

Duckroll's "Jacob not giving a fuck" addendum is actually supported to some extent by the fact that we saw Jacob in the past giving Alpert a rage-induced beatdown, while the threat of death at the hands of a knife wasn't enough to even move him in more recent times. He does seem to get over things.

Dead said:
I doubt Jacob will portrayed in a positive light tonight.

I think I see the show going more for a "break" of the Islands status quo, and showcasing that Jacob in reality isnt much better than MIB will make the road to the finale clearer

I'm expecting this too.

Zeliard

duckroll said:
Buddha is not a smug douchebag. Well, maybe Jacob is a western Buddha. Asians don't really make good smug douchebags. :lol

jacobsneer.jpg

:D

Seriously, that picture is just too perfect. It's amazing how that one look encapsulates his entire character.

And I can't find it. Bah.

Zeliard

DoctorWho said:
I'm expecting this too.

That's what I'm HOPING. I don't want good versus evil from the show and never have. I want fucked up guy versus other fucked up guy, with a bunch of otherwise normal people caught in the middle. There are other ways to convey the contrasting duality of "black vs white". In fact, they've already done exactly that with Jacob and MIB's philosophical debate.

It's not good versus evil, it's yin and yang. Balance. MIB can't leave the island because the balance will be destroyed. The scales are a big motif.

Zeliard said:
That's what I'm HOPING. I don't want good versus evil from the show and never have. I want fucked up guy versus other fucked up guy, with a bunch of otherwise normal people caught in the middle. There are other ways to convey the contrasting duality of "black vs white". In fact, they've already done exactly that with Jacob and MIB's philosophical debate.

It's not good versus evil, it's yin and yang. Balance. MIB can't leave the island because the balance will be destroyed. The scales are a big motif.

I love the concept of these two demi-gods imposing their feud on mere mortals. I still like the idea of Jack being awarded the role of becoming Jacob's replacement and then giving Jacob the big FUCK YOU before getting himself and everyone else who is alive off the island.

DoctorWho said:
I love the concept of these two demi-gods imposing their feud on mere mortals. I still like the idea of Jack being awarded the role of becoming Jacob's replacement and then giving Jacob the big FUCK YOU before getting himself and everyone else who is alive off the island.

That would be pretty sick.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
DoctorWho said:
That would be pretty badass, but I dunno how they could write the culminating moment of jack's life, and then have him say "Fuck you." afterwards. He's kind of pushed all of his chips in on the "faith in the island" business.

Zeliard

DoctorWho said:

He should just leave him a note.

Jacob, I don't know if anyone's ever told you this, but man, you're a grade-A asshole.

Sincerely,

Jack

P.S. lol bye

SpeedingUptoStop

Solo's ultimate endgame wet dream: Jack becomes the new Jacob, but believes he wouldn't be best for the job. He uses his Jacob powers to resurrect Locke, then he kills himself so he can go live in the alternate universe. The Boss Locke has the island all to himself and Jack has a kid and shit.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Solo's ultimate endgame wet dream: Jack becomes the new Jacob, but believes he wouldn't be best for the job. He uses his Jacob powers to resurrect Locke, then he kills himself so he can go live in the alternate universe. The Boss Locke has the island all to himself and Jack has a kid and shit.

Locke puts two giant speakers on either side of the statue foot and, for the rest of eternity, plays this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b820IT0_mXw

LOST.

(Uh, probably NSFW, language-wise.)

Zeliard

Yin is usually characterized as slow, soft, insubstantial, diffuse, cold, wet, and tranquil. They are generally associated with Femininity, birth and generation, and with the Night.

Yang, by contrast, is characterized as fast, hard, solid, dry, focused, hot, and aggressive. They are associated with Masculinity and with the Daytime.

Hmm....

SpeedingUptoStop

Do American Apparell hoodies shrink as much or more than their shirts? I think I'm gonna pcik up that threadless Lost hoodie, but I dunno if I should go with the medium or the large. I'd like a tight fit, but I don't want circulation cut off.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Very satisfying theory, duckroll.

Also, I like the idea of Jacob using "the game" as a way to work out his own personal demons. Like he feels direct guilt for some tragic event in the past, and is using that as an underlying motivation for his actions throughout the centuries.

Zeliard

Catalix said:
Very satisfying theory, duckroll.

Also, I like the idea of Jacob using "the game" as a way to work out his own personal demons. Like he feels direct guilt for some tragic event in the past, and is using that as an underlying motivation for his actions throughout the centuries.

He wants everyone to have a chance at leading a better life because he himself was given a second chance a long time ago, perhaps.

Of course, the people he brings to the island keep being killed, so who knows.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
i was always of the belief MIB is Jacob, duality of man sort of thing only his duality is more literal than others.

duckroll

Zeliard said:
He wants everyone to have a chance at leading a better life because he himself was given a second chance a long time ago, perhaps.

Of course, the people he brings to the island keep being killed, so who knows.

My take on his conversation with Richard is that he doesn't intend for the people he brings to the island to get killed, but he just felt powerless to stop it. He could have felt that if he intervened, it would weaken his position.

The idea of the island as a second chance is definitely something that has been in the show since the start, and even Jacob himself said, when they're here their past doesn't matter. It seems to be that his intentions are not bad, but he is far from perfect or noble because he values some personal opinion of inaction more than he values the actual outcome of the people he brings to the island. Richard seemed to have changed his stand on it a little, but honestly I won't be surprised if we eventually find out that Jacob is not exactly all-knowing and perfect, and that in many ways people died because he is incompetent.

Think of it as a guy who decides to save some animals, and brings them into his home. He has various other animals in his home and he isn't good at training or looking after animals. He only feels that they're better off with shelter and food than out in the wild or wandering the streets. Then they turn on each other and get killed. The guy is sad and disappointed, but he doesn't know what he can do to change this, so he allows it to continue happening.

Zeliard

duckroll said:
My take on his conversation with Richard is that he doesn't intend for the people he brings to the island to get killed, but he just felt powerless to stop it. He could have felt that if he intervened, it would weaken his position.

The idea of the island as a second chance is definitely something that has been in the show since the start, and even Jacob himself said, when they're here their past doesn't matter. It seems to be that his intentions are not bad, but he is far from perfect or noble because he values some personal opinion of inaction more than he values the actual outcome of the people he brings to the island. Richard seemed to have changed his stand on it a little, but honestly I won't be surprised if we eventually find out that Jacob is not exactly all-knowing and perfect, and that in many ways people died because he is incompetent.

Think of it as a guy who decides to save some animals, and brings them into his home. He has various other animals in his home and he isn't good at training or looking after animals. He only feels that they're better off with shelter and food than out in the wild or wandering the streets. Then they turn on each other and get killed. The guy is sad and disappointed, but he doesn't know what he can do to change this, so he allows it to continue happening.

Nice analogy.

And not to keep hating on the guy, but I did get a strong sense of incompetence from Jacob in Ab Aeterno. Alpert went up to him and was like "dude, you realize that your buddy is getting directly involved, right?", and then Jacob acted as if it's the first time he had even considered the possibility of such a thing. He then appointed Alpert as his representative. I always found that odd.

SpeedingUptoStop

Nameless

duckroll said:
Okay, I'm posting my theory for MIB's lack of name, let me know what you guys think. Dead doesn't buy it, but I'll prove him wrong, I'll prove everyone wrong!!

I think that at some point in the past, the character Titus plays is someone very important to Jacob. But he is not Smokie. I think we will get the name of that character in this episode, but it will not be the monster. Instead at some point the person who will become the monster will kill this person, and Jacob will have a personal stake in stopping this person, resulting in him losing his body but not dying. Jacob then stays on the island as a guardian to stop the nameless evil from leaving the island, while the nameless evil takes on the form of Jacob's brother/friend as a way of taunting him. Jacob never says his name because he doesn't know his true name, and he will not acknowledge that thing as the person he is impersonating.

lostincevil2.jpg

Still, Nice theory. Defintely agree that Titus wasn't always Smokey. . Going back to "The Substitute" MIB tells King Sawyer how he was once a man who used to do go through man shit etc etc.

Solo

Tonight's the night everyone is splooging over, but its next week's ep that intrigues me more than any other episode this season, based on title alone.

Zeliard

I like duckroll's theory because it consolidates the fact that they're bothering to show us Titus at all, with Titus perhaps not being MIB's original form. If it's not his original form, and I don't think it is either, then that form still has to be significant in some way. He was using that form persistently in the past and we know that he didn't become stuck in a form until Jacob died, so he had to be using it for some reason (outside of Titus Welliver looking like a badass).

duckroll

Here's something I've been pondering on for a while. Jacob has been talking to Hurley. He tells Hurley directly that he's a candidate, and gives him directions on stuff he needs done or places that need going to. He has no qualms about directly approaching Hurley as a human and as a ghost and saying and doing these things. He has done it off island and on island.

Will we ever find out why? Is Hurley also an exception to the rules? Or is Jacob simply using Hurley because Hurley is ready to believe in anything and is more gullible and accepting than any of the other candidates?

Crisco

Banned
I still like the idea that the two of them were co-guardians, and one day MIB just said "fuck it, humanity is screwed anyways" and wanted out.

Yaweee

duckroll said:
Here's something I've been pondering on for a while. Jacob has been talking to Hurley. He tells Hurley directly that he's a candidate, and gives him directions on stuff he needs done or places that need going to. He has no qualms about directly approaching Hurley as a human and as a ghost and saying and doing these things. He has done it off island and on island.

Will we ever find out why? Is Hurley also an exception to the rules? Or is Jacob simply using Hurley because Hurley is ready to believe in anything and is more gullible and accepting than any of the other candidates?

Presumably that, and Jacob getting desperate. Of (presumably) 360 candidates, only 5 or so are left by the time Jacob meets with Hurley. He's kind of running out of time to finally pick somebody.

th3dude

duckroll said:
I guess it depends on whether Jacob is willingly playing the game, or whether Jacob is just part of the game dictated by a higher power. If Jacob and MIB are playing the game out of their own free will, yeah that wouldn't work. If Jacob simply accepted that as the guardian on the island he is subject certain rules, just like his nemesis, then it could still work.

Goddamnit I'm supposed to be the mythos hating guy, why am I so excited for this episode?! :lol
Because this episode has the potential to knock our socks off and then some :D

Zeliard

Isn't Hurley the only person that's been seen communicating with the dead? Perhaps Jacob went to him because Hurley's the only one he can actually communicate with now.

Whether or not we ever find out how Hurley can do that remains to be seen.

DarkWish

Solo said:
Tonight's the night everyone is splooging over, but its next week's ep that intrigues me more than any other episode this season, based on title alone.
I'm also very interested in next week's episode cause of the title. These last few episodes are shaping up to be some of the best of the series.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Mr Cola said:
i was always of the belief MIB is Jacob, duality of man sort of thing only his duality is more literal than others.
Before S6 premiered, I was ready to accept that

- The Island's electromagnetic energy core was the physical nexus of human thought
- The tropical island paradise itself was a shell subconsciously birthed from that limitless, reality-altering EM energy
- Jacob and MiB we're both physical manifestations of humanity's collective consciousness, born from that EM energy as well. It'd be like every individual's internal struggle being played out on a cosmic scale. The optimistic idealist side always wanting to do better vs. the pragmatic realist always wanting to "kill off" the other side's naive outlook on life.

Then S6 came around and shot all that nonsense to hell (like usual). :lol Looks like the actual solution will be far more practical in execution.

I love Duckroll's theory. Really well-thought. However the cynic in me says they're going to have Titus be the original body of the Smoke Monster. :(

duckroll

Zeliard said:
Isn't Hurley the only person that's been seen communicating with the dead? Perhaps Jacob went to him because Hurley's the only one he can actually communicate with now.

Whether or not we ever find out how Hurley can do that remains to be seen.

Well then would that mean that if Ben had not killed Jacob, and when the Oceanic Six flashed back into regular time, Jacob would be ready to talk to all of them in person? I guess we'll never know the answer the that question...

Zeliard

duckroll said:
Well then would that mean that if Ben had not killed Jacob, and when the Oceanic Six flashed back into regular time, Jacob would be ready to talk to all of them in person? I guess we'll never know the answer the that question...

It's unsure, because Jacob was hell-bent on not becoming involved at all. Even after Alpert told him that MIB was becoming directly involved, all Jacob did was appoint Alpert as his rep.

I don't think Jacob would have communicated with anyone hadn't he died, and as a dead dude he can only talk to Hurley. So yeah, I don't think there would have been a situation where Jacob talked to any of the other Oceanic Six (on the island). The only reason he's talking to Hurley is because that's his only option at this point. If he had lived, he would have just remained aloof, probably.

Apparently Jacob feels he can only become involved when he's dead. Who knows what's up with that guy. :p

SpeedingUptoStop said:
That would be pretty badass, but I dunno how they could write the culminating moment of jack's life, and then have him say "Fuck you." afterwards. He's kind of pushed all of his chips in on the "faith in the island" business.

The fact that he has faith in the island and then turns his back on it is what makes that moment so great. He knows what is going on and still doesn't want to be a part of it. In the end, he gets those left behind - home! Something that he has been trying to do since the beginning of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom