• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.14: "The Candidate" (Vote Silas Adams For Deadwood Police Chief Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
It was announced that the finale is going to be extended an extra half-hour, for a total of two and a half hours. Did that come from you or the network?
Cuse: Damon and I wrote the script and we were gently told by the network that they thought it was big. And we were like, "No, no, we'll be able to get this all in there." But we really wrote the script the way we wanted the script to be. Normally in television, you're trying to execute a clear decision within a very specific guideline — which is the running time of a one-hour episode. We really just sort of decided, "Let's not worry too much about that, let's just write the best version of the finale and we will figure out in post the time issue." And when we finally saw a cut of the whole thing together, we were like, "This thing will not be as good in a two-hour running time." We went to the network and said, "You know what? You guys are right, this thing is a little bit long and we think we can deliver you a much better version of it that's two-and-a-half-hours long." And they were totally supportive. They rearranged the schedule in order to give us a two-and-a-half-hour airing slot. We feel really excited about it; we think the finale is going to be so much better for that. It will really feel like a feature film.
This, I really like.

Annetay knows there will be some questions left unanswered. Are there any questions left unanswered that you wish you would have answered?
[...]That being said: There might, possibly, be some questions that we, as storytellers, will answer in the body of the show that might not be appearing in the finale. And that's all we're willing to say ...
This...is a little weird.

Zeliard

InaudibleWhispa said:
There's a really good interview with Damon and Carlton here. They talk a bit more about the writing process. I wasn't particularly keeping an eye out for them, but I don't recall it veering into spoiler territory at all.

NYM said:
Tonight's episode, "Across the Sea," focuses on Jacob and the Man In Black. When were these guys first conceived?

Lindelof said:
We had to start talking about the overall mythology of the island in greater detail in the cracks between the first and second seasons, before our characters went down into the hatch. That conversation basically kicked out into the other major arc of the second season. Which was: Who are the Others? Who are these other people on the island, and who was their leader? And who was he receiving his instructions from? By the time the show got into its third season, we started to hear references to this character, Jacob. And I think it's safe to say that those conversations started then.

Heh, it's exactly as many people including myself had guessed - they didn't really start figuring out the mythology until the point that marked when they stopped fucking around and very noticeably started charting a plan for the show: after the meandering Season 2 and the awful first block of Season 3. It was also around that time that they set a cut-off date for the show. These aren't coincidences.

JGS

Banned
Zeliard said:
I would be perfectly okay with it, but I actually doubt that it is Esau. The way they've kept his name hidden, it must be something that once revealed will have an immediate impact on the majority of the audience, and I don't think Esau will work as that. I still think it has to be someone we already know, and someone who's been significant to our experience with the show, at that (i.e. not Hanso or someone we've basically never seen).

I like it from a mythical standpoint especially if one thinks of the island some type of Mother Earth figure.

However, I think it's too obvious and there is not a direct correlation between Jacob and MiB and Jacob and Esau except for the names. The Biblical figures did not have powers at all and also died of old age like everyone else.

I will be disappointed if it's someone we know since Jacob since the writers already duped us pretty good with unLocke = Smokey and the fact that real Locke is dead. Another switcharoo would be overkill.

Nameless

I'm sticking with my theory that the Smoke Monster is a curse that dates back thousands upon thousands of years. By "stole my body" perhaps Titus meant he's now afflicted due to Jacob's actions.

Apoc29

I don't really know what MIB's true form is, but if he is someone we know, it probably isn't someone who has been off the island, because he can't leave the island, right? But I wouldn't put it past the writers to say he somehow "changed the rules" or something.

duckroll

I'm really glad Lost is such a big success that the network is actually readily willing to let the show do what it needs towards the end. This way, I don't think we can blame ABC or any external factors if the show fails to deliver, it would be squarely on the creators. Hopefully they put the trust the network has in them to good use. They can start by killing Kate offscreen between this week and next week's episodes, so we don't even have to see her ever again (except on David Letterman).

Jack: Where's Kate?
Sawyer: While you were looking out into sea she went and drowned herself. :(
Jack: Where's the body?
Hurley: I buried it so she wouldn't become a zombie like Sayid.
Jack: Good call. Let's move out guys, Locke's probably looking for us now.

LOST

Zeliard said:
Heh, it's exactly as many people including myself had guessed - they didn't really start figuring out the mythology until the point that marked when they stopped fucking around and very noticeably started charting a plan for the show: after the meandering Season 2 and the awful first block of Season 3. It was also around that time that they set a cut-off date for the show. These aren't coincidences.

I don't think anyone doubted that. It's evident in the structured narrative from "Not in Portland" onwards. They got their shit together.

Zeliard

JGS said:
I like it from a mythical standpoint especially if one thinks of the island some type of Mother Earth figure.

However, I think it's too obvious and there is not a direct correlation between Jacob and MiB and Jacob and Esau except for the names. The Biblical figures did not have powers at all and also died of old age like everyone else.

I will be disappointed if it's someone we know since Jacob since the writers already duped us pretty good with unLocke = Smokey and the fact that real Locke is dead. Another switcharoo would be overkill.

Well, if you look at it from the standpoint of there having to be a reason to keep the name hidden, then it has to be a significant reveal. And I don't see what one could be that doesn't involve MIB being someone we know, or some infamous Biblical name that's a lot more widely-known than Esau, like Lucifer. :p

MIB's reveal has to by default be a twist, or else there's no real significance there. He's arguably the single most important character in the show due to the enormous impact he has on everything and everyone in it.

DoctorWho said:
I don't think anyone doubted that. It's evident in the structured narrative from "Not in Portland" onwards. They got their shit together.

I agree. Lindelof himself has often been quite up-front in lamenting the first block of Season 3, admitting that he and the rest of the writers didn't really know what they were doing at the time.

Zeliard

Lindelof said:
What's actually more disconcerting is when people see us and recognize us and we're sitting on the plane. It does not make people happy to see that they're flying on the plane with us.

:lol

duckroll

I was looking at the comments for that interview and I saw this:

BY RANDYFITZIMMONS on 05/11/2010 at 10:20am
Dear Damon/Carlton,

You've totally ruined the show for me this season. You have been making it up as you go along for years, and while I understand the creative process,in your case your ideas along the way weren't some precious buds you allowed to bloom, but half-baked diversions. You stink.

I just want to make it clear that I have nothing to do with that! :lol

RedShift

Can someone confirm something for me? When Darlton talk about it being 2 and a half hours long, is that with or without adverts? Actual show would probably run a little under 2 hours if it was with right?

RedShift said:
Can someone confirm something for me? When Darlton talk about it being 2 and a half hours long, is that with or without adverts? Actual show would probably run a little under 2 hours if it was with right?

I believe it is with adverts.

DarkWish

I'm so freaking pumped for tonight! I can't focus on studying for finals, I just keep thinking about tonight's episode. And listening to the season 5 soundtrack isn't helping me focus either lol.

duckroll

RedShift said:

Correct. One hour of programming amounts to about 42 minutes of an actual episode. A two hour block would be about 80+ minutes. A two and a half hour block is about 100 minutes or so.

duckroll said:
I was looking at the comments for that interview and I saw this:

I just want to make it clear that I have nothing to do with that! :lol

Given the lineage of the show, I'm not surprised that Jacob and the MIB weren't necessarily fully fleshed out concepts from the start. That's sort of the problem with most TV Shows anyhow. Someone has an idea, that person's idea turns into the show, others (Darlton) create the story out of that idea. I think we're getting better (see: Mad Men, Breaking Bad), but some things are simply out of people's control (networks' wishes, where they came in at, etc.). It's not like Damon and Carlton sat down, wrote drafts of the entire series, and then started making it, like an author would, but neither have they "been making it up episode by episode, season by season" either. It's always been pretty clear that the Others S1-3 are a little off in comparison to what we see now.

That being said, I'm relatively trusting of Darlton in that they've had a clear path for the ending since S2 and it isn't something that was thrown together in this past year. The framework has been there since S2/3, if the finale fails to deliver, I'm not blaming it on "making up shit on the fly".

Zeliard

Freyjadour said:
Given the lineage of the show, I'm not surprised that Jacob and the MIB weren't necessarily fully fleshed out concepts from the start. That's sort of the problem with most TV Shows anyhow. Someone has an idea, that person's idea turns into the show, others (Darlton) create the story out of that idea. I think we're getting better (see: Mad Men, Breaking Bad), but some things are simply out of people's control (networks' wishes, where they came in at, etc.). It's not like Damon and Carlton sat down, wrote drafts of the entire series, and then started making it, like an author would, but neither have they "been making it up episode by episode, season by season" either. It's always been pretty clear that the Others S1-3 are a little off in comparison to what we see now.

That being said, I'm relatively trusting of Darlton in that they've had a clear path for the ending since S2 and it isn't something that was thrown together in this past year. The framework has been there since S2/3, if the finale fails to deliver, I'm not blaming it on "making up shit on the fly".

What's curious however is that Smokey has been a part of the show since the pilot. When they decided to bring Jacob and MIB into the fold during season 3, did they always have it planned that Smokey would be one of the two, or did they just end up consolidating two characters into one? That's what I'm wondering.

Man, I'd hate to watch the finale with adverts. It must really destroy tension and emotional build-up (as I heard happened last week after Jin and Suns death). I haven't watched a single episode of Lost with ads and I never will!

tabsina

duckroll said:
Correct. One hour of programming amounts to about 42 minutes of an actual episode. A two hour block would be about 80+ minutes. A two and a half hour block is about 100 minutes or so.

which is rude when you consider that we'll have one standard episode length worth of ads during the series finale

Zeliard said:
What's curious however is that Smokey has been a part of the show since the pilot. When they decided to bring Jacob and MIB into the fold during season 3, did they always have it planned that Smokey would be one of the two, or did they just end up consolidating two characters into one? That's what I'm wondering.

Yeah, that's a good question and one I've pondered. Obviously he's been antagonistic since the Pilot, but to what degree back then? Hell though, we were thinking Dinosaurs in S1.

JGS

Banned
Zeliard said:
Well, if you look at it from the standpoint of there having to be a reason to keep the name hidden, then it has to be a significant reveal. And I don't see what one could be that doesn't involve MIB being someone we know, or some infamous Biblical name that's a lot more widely-known than Esau, like Lucifer. :p

MIB's reveal has to by default be a twist, or else there's no real significance there. He's arguably the single most important character in the show due to the enormous impact he has on everything and everyone in it.

I don't know. The big reveal was during Richard's episode since we got his purpose. I expect there to be much more, but I hope at this point that it's just an original villian and not really tied to anything from previous mythlogies or characters. If it's a character we already know, there is not enough time to develop that charcter, figure out how Jack is The One, & conclude the series satisfactorily.

I am happy wth Smokey simply being the bad guy in the show. He's already pretty interesting just off of that.

duckroll

tabsina said:
which is rude when you consider that we'll have one standard episode length worth of ads during the series finale

Think about it this way. Those ads are practically paying for the episode you're watching, and probably the main reason for the extra half hour we're getting. I don't think it's rude at all.

duckroll said:
Think about it this way. Those ads are practically paying for the episode you're watching, and probably the main reason for the extra half hour we're getting. I don't think it's rude at all.

I don't mind the ads. It gives my LOST party time to press mute and say things like "HOLY FUCKING SHIT".

HO LE FUCKING SHIT

duckroll

Zeliard said:

Logically I don't think you should think of MIB and Smokey as separate things. When they came up with Jacob, they most likely came up with the idea that there would be a guardian on the island, keeping a leash on the smoke monster like a dog. The MIB you think of as a character is really just Smokey given a more human form, and while they might not have thought of a character like that at the start of the show, it doesn't matter because he stands for the same things Smokie always had - destruction, evil, manipulation, deceit.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Dead said:
Yeah, I have no clue what they mean there

maybe for the encyclopedia?
I think "in the body of the show" means some sort of polar bear-like explanation for something? Where they show, don't tell some answers and we determine them? But what could they possibly be talking about when they imply that? Food drops?

suaveric

RedShift said:

The actual running time for the show should be around 105 minutes, give or take a few.

duckroll said:
Logically I don't think you should think of MIB and Smokey as separate things. When they came up with Jacob, they most likely came up with the idea that there would be a guardian on the island, keeping a leash on the smoke monster like a dog. The MIB you think of as a character is really just Smokey given a more human form, and while they might not have thought of a character like that at the start of the show, it doesn't matter because he stands for the same things Smokie always had - destruction, evil, manipulation, deceit.
To a degree, but Smokie seemed more about Judgment back then, as did his theorized mythology.

I do think there was a point where it moved from Judgment to Evil, just not sure exactly where that was.

Zeliard

duckroll said:

Indeed, I think that whatever the reality is, it certainly was convenient for them to have Smokey around. It's probably sort of similar to Emerson/Ben Linus. He was originally supposed to just be in three or so episodes as a guest character, but he was so good and worked so perfectly that they went ahead and just used him for other purposes (in this case, as leader of the Others).

Whether they knew what Smokey was earlier on, or whether he was just some random inexplicable monster from the id, he ended up serving them quite well in the storytelling later on.

tabsina

duckroll said:

i forgot who i was talking to (not my own circle of friends) - our colloquial use of 'rude' doesn't necessarily have a negative connotation - i am quite aware that commercials are necessary

duckroll

Okay, I'm posting my theory for MIB's lack of name, let me know what you guys think. Dead doesn't buy it, but I'll prove him wrong, I'll prove everyone wrong!!

I think that at some point in the past, the character Titus plays is someone very important to Jacob. But he is not Smokie. I think we will get the name of that character in this episode, but it will not be the monster. Instead at some point the person who will become the monster will kill this person, and Jacob will have a personal stake in stopping this person, resulting in him losing his body but not dying. Jacob then stays on the island as a guardian to stop the nameless evil from leaving the island, while the nameless evil takes on the form of Jacob's brother/friend as a way of taunting him. Jacob never says his name because he doesn't know his true name, and he will not acknowledge that thing as the person he is impersonating.

duckroll said:
Okay, I'm posting my theory for MIB's lack of name, let me know what you guys think. Dead doesn't buy it, but I'll prove him wrong, I'll prove everyone wrong!!

I think that at some point in the past, the character Titus plays is someone very important to Jacob. But he is not Smokie. I think we will get the name of that character in this episode, but it will not be the monster. Instead at some point the person who will become the monster will kill this person, and Jacob will have a personal stake in stopping this person, resulting in him losing his body but not dying. Jacob then stays on the island as a guardian to stop the nameless evil from leaving the island, while the nameless evil takes on the form of Jacob's brother/friend as a way of taunting him. Jacob never says his name because he doesn't know his true name, and he will not acknowledge that thing as the person he is impersonating.

Walter, Marten, Flagg, Randall, or Nyarlathotep.

Zeliard

duckroll said:

I agree that Titus is just another body he stole, but I like how your theory makes it so that the Titus body itself is still significant, and not just some dead guy's image that Smokey thought he'd appropriate. That makes it work both ways - he isn't Titus, but Titus was still important.

LakeEarth

The whole "candidate" thing can also explain why the smoke monster didn't kill certain characters in earlier episodes. They could say the reason Mr. Eko was not touched on his first smokie encounter and not the second one was because his name was crossed out somewhere in between.

bachikarn

duckroll said:

I think that works. There was a picture of smokie in the temple hieroglyphics. Depending on when Jacob/MIB came to the Island or were born there, it could potentially predate them.

DarkWish

duckroll said:

That's a pretty interesting theory, but it doesn't account for the game they are playing of Jacob bringing people to the island. Why would Jacob want to play this game and prove this guy wrong when this guy killed someone close to him? Otherwise, that would be pretty interesting.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Zeliard said:
I agree that Titus is just another body he stole, but I like how your theory makes it so that the Titus body itself is still significant, and not just some dead guy's image that Smokey thought he'd appropriate. That makes it work both ways - he isn't Titus, but Titus was still important.

I'm thinking that the Titus and Jacob forms are from the previous attempts by MIB to leave the island. MIB found a way to take out the old form of "Jacob" and Jacob was the remaining Candidate at the time. I assume others have thought of this, with all the thoughts of Locke and Jack ending the series together.

InaudibleWhispa said:
Man, I'd hate to watch the finale with adverts. It must really destroy tension and emotional build-up (as I heard happened last week after Jin and Suns death). I haven't watched a single episode of Lost with ads and I never will!

Yeah, I'd rather that advertising didn't exist on television and I wouldn't have the show LOST to watch.

duckroll

DarkWish said:
That's a pretty interesting theory, but it doesn't account for the game they are playing of Jacob bringing people to the island. Why would Jacob want to play this game and prove this guy wrong when this guy killed someone close to him? Otherwise, that would be pretty interesting.

I guess it depends on whether Jacob is willingly playing the game, or whether Jacob is just part of the game dictated by a higher power. If Jacob and MIB are playing the game out of their own free will, yeah that wouldn't work. If Jacob simply accepted that as the guardian on the island he is subject certain rules, just like his nemesis, then it could still work.

Goddamnit I'm supposed to be the mythos hating guy, why am I so excited for this episode?! :lol

Zeliard

Lonestar said:
I'm thinking that the Titus and Jacob forms are from the previous attempts by MIB to leave the island. MIB found a way to take out the old form of "Jacob" and Jacob was the remaining Candidate at the time. I assume others have thought of this, with all the thoughts of Locke and Jack ending the series together.

I think one of the biggest mysteries, which will hopefully be answered tonight, is just how Jacob become the prison guard. I'm curious to know just how that guy got to be where he is. It's hard to imagine a guy like Jacob ever leading a normal pre-island life.

DarkWish

duckroll said:
I guess it depends on whether Jacob is willingly playing the game, or whether Jacob is just part of the game dictated by a higher power. If Jacob and MIB are playing the game out of their own free will, yeah that wouldn't work. If Jacob simply accepted that as the guardian on the island he is subject certain rules, just like his nemesis, then it could still work.

Goddamnit I'm supposed to be the mythos hating guy, why am I so excited for this episode?! :lol
Yea, I suppose that could work. I think the two biggest things I want out of tonight are MiB's name and details on the "the rules". I mean, we have information on what some of the rules are, but I'd like to know who came up with them, why they must be followed, etc.

duckroll

Zeliard said:
I think one of the biggest mysteries, which will hopefully be answered tonight, is just how Jacob become the prison guard. I'm curious to know just how that guy got to be where he is. It's hard to imagine a guy like Jacob ever leading a normal pre-island life.

I'm actually more interested in learning about the island itself. I think one of my major disappointments with the Richard episode was simply that it was totally focused on Richard, and ultimately revealed that he knew very little about the island in the first place. We already knew that Jacob and MIB had a thing going with each other, and that they've been on the island for a long long time, so the episode didn't really add much more to it other than confirming that Jacob regards MIB as some sort of ultimate evil. Hopefully this episode will deliver. :D

Zeliard

duckroll said:
I'm actually more interested in learning about the island itself. I think one of my major disappointments with the Richard episode was simply that it was totally focused on Richard, and ultimately revealed that he knew very little about the island in the first place. We already knew that Jacob and MIB had a thing going with each other, and that they've been on the island for a long long time, so the episode didn't really add much more to it other than confirming that Jacob regards MIB as some sort of ultimate evil. Hopefully this episode will deliver. :D

I think it will, honestly. In the past, when we were expecting some big reveals, we thought that the characters knew far more than they did or were more important in the big scheme of things. For example, Ben and Alpert. Turns out that they are just as clueless as everyone else.

MIB and Jacob, though, we know for a fact aren't clueless. Quite the opposite! They are the only two characters who know anything, with the possible exceptions of the Widmore couple and, these days, Desmond.

Blader

duckroll said:

I think Jacob has been too chill around MIB for that to be true. If the Titus we've been seeing is just the avatar of a monster that killed Jacob's friend/brother/whatever from long ago, I don't think Jacob would acting so relaxed around him.

duckroll

Blader5489 said:
I think Jacob has been too chill around MIB for that to be true. If the Titus we've been seeing is just the avatar of a monster that killed Jacob's friend/brother/whatever from long ago, I don't think Jacob would acting so relaxed around him.

My theory is entirely based on the assumption that Jacob is not "chill" but has simply reached a "I don't give a fuck" stage in his life after thousands of years. I'm sure he had a lot of time to get over any rage he would have had.

InaudibleWhispa said:
There's a really good interview with Damon and Carlton here. They talk a bit more about the writing process. I wasn't particularly keeping an eye out for them, but I don't recall it veering into spoiler territory at all.

If we were on a plane that crashed, we would certainly remember that flight number. In the flash sideways this season, Oceanic flight 815 didn't crash, but everyone seems to remember their flight number. If we were approached and asked if we were on Delta flight 4367 two weeks ago, we would have no idea. Do either of you make a point to remember your flight numbers?

:lol :lol

So true.

duckroll said:

Really like this idea. Hopefully we know for sure one way or the other before tonight's ep is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom