• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT3| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belfast

Infinite Justice said:
"I was planning to do One Piece for 5 years " LOL

Ten More Years...

This is why I don't get when people feel like the series is moving too slow.

One Piece is my "All My Children" dammit. It can stick around til the day I die, for all I care. Knowing that will be around for years to come, though, is a comforting feeling.

flawfuls

Dresden said:
The following covers sales from November 22, 2010 to May 22, 2011:

1 One Piece #61 Eiichiro Oda 3,133,092 Shueisha
2 One Piece #62 Eiichiro Oda 2,698,663 Shueisha
3 Naruto #54 Masashi Kishimoto 1,178,643 Shueisha
4 Kimi ni Todoke #13 Karuho Shiina 1,120,177 Shueisha
5 Fullmetal Alchemist #27 Hiromu Arakawa 1,113,444 Square Enix
6 Naruto #55 Masashi Kishimoto 997,927 Shueisha
7 Nodame Cantabile #25 Tomoko Ninomiya 981,451 Kodansha
8 Saint Young Men (Saint O-nii-san) #6 Hikaru Nakamura 942,762 Kodansha
9 Bleach #48 Tite Kubo 822,941 Shueisha
10 Shingeki no Kyojin #3 Hajime Isayama 791,207 Kodansha
11 Bleach #49 Tite Kubo 646,700 Shueisha
12 Shingeki no Kyojin #4 Hajime Isayama 629,164 Kodansha
13 Shingeki no Kyojin #1 Hajime Isayama 605,915 Kodansha
14 One Piece #60 Eiichiro Oda 604,485 Shueisha
15 Yotsuba&! #10 Kiyohiko Azuma 593,878 ASCII Media Works/ Kadokawa Group Publishing
16 Shingeki no Kyojin #2 Hajime Isayama 587,565 Kodansha
17 Bakuman. #11 Story: Tsugumi Ohba
Art: Takeshi Obata 586,726 Shueisha
18 Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) #11 Yana Toboso 559,916 Square Enix
19 REAL #10 Takehiko Inoue 557,236 Shueisha
20 March comes in like a lion [Sangatsu no Lion] #5 Chika Umino 553,245 Hakusensha
21 Detective Conan
(Case Closed) #71 Gosho Aoyama 526,693 Shogakukan
22 D.Gray-man #21 Katsura Hoshino 526,455 Shueisha
23 Fairy Tail #25 Hiro Mashima 523,572 Kodansha
24 Bakuman. #12 Story: Tsugumi Ohba
Art: Takeshi Obata 523,046 Shueisha
25 Gintama #37 Hideaki Sorachi 498,420 Shueisha

I am always thrilled to see how well Shingeki no Kyojin is doing. It's already doing Bleach numbers with only four volumes out and no anime. It seems on track to be the #2 manga in Japan after One Piece.

Other than that Saint Young Men's insane popularity is baffling. I like the series, but it's a very plain and not particularly exceptional comedy. I guess people just really like Buddha and Jesus. Who new?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Anyone think MangaStream will be beat on Naruto/Bleach today? I'm sure MS will work hard to at least put OP out first.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Stat Flow said:
Anyone think MangaStream will be beat on Naruto/Bleach today? I'm sure MS will work hard to at least put OP out first.

Hmm, does it really matter who is going to put up chapter the first, though? Why is treated like some sort of a race with a golden prize or something?

Regardless of who is faster, I always go to Mangastream for my usual big 3 fix.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Laughing Banana said:
Hmm, does it really matter who is going to put up chapter the first, though? Why is treated like some sort of a race with a golden prize or something?

Regardless of who is faster, I always go to Mangastream for my usual big 3 fix.

Of course it doesn't matter. It was only a question.

And while I don't treat it as a race (like you, I tend to stick to MS - familiarity), there was a big discussion about it last week when apparently MS didn't get out one of the chapters first.

Kreed

Aad said:
Code:
 1. 23,366,030 - One Piece
 2.  3,110,842 - Gantz
 3.  3,035,593 - Naruto
 4.  2,613,851 - Shingeki no Kyojin
 5.  2,501,768 - Fairy Tail
 6.  2,471,448 - Bakuman
 7.  2,421,162 - Kimi ni Todoke
 8.  2,332,551 - Gintama
 9.  1,980,234 - Bleach
10.  1,836,000 - Toriko

One Piece is just crazy. Interesting to see Gantz above Naruto and Bleach so down on the list.

I'm confused by these numbers. Why wasn't Gantz anywhere in the top 50 individual volume sales yet it made second place in the series numbers? Did Gantz completely dominate the less than 50 numbers? And One Piece's number is ridiculously large. I'd almost think it was a typo if it wasn't for the the series' domination of the top 50. It's not hard to believe the other volumes are selling well enough to cover the rest of the sales.

survivor

Banned
Kreed said:
I'm confused by these numbers. Why wasn't Gantz anywhere in the top 50 individual volume sales yet it made second place in the series numbers? Did Gantz completely dominate the less than 50 numbers? And One Piece's number is ridiculously large. I'd almost think it was a typo if it wasn't for the the series' domination of the top 50. It's not hard to believe the other volumes are selling well enough to cover the rest of the sales.
There was a Gantz live action movie in the beginning of the year that boosted the earlier volumes sales. It wasn't by a lot, just about 20k for the first couple volumes, but I guess it kept going for the next 6 months.

One Piece 627

Really, One Piece is missing next week?! The arc just got finally back on pace too, terrible timing!

Ignoring the typo in this chapter, the end result of it felt odd especially with Nami casting it off like it was nothing while Jinbe is all emotional. Ultimately, nice to be back in the present and sailing straight towards action, I can not wait to see the three strongest strawhats back in action in two weeks.

Anth0ny

woooooooooooo flashback over!

boooooooooooo break next week! I'm fine with that though, E3 will be a pretty busy time methinks.

Lain

Saki 80

Hisa battle ended and I think she did well enough. It'll soon be Saki time to shine and can't wait for her to drag down to earth those foolish snobbish girls! Naturally I hope Nodoka will trash them a bit first.

Deadly

Stat Flow said:
One Piece and Naruto are out.

I'll take this opportunity to catch up on OP.
Where's Naruto out?

One Piece
Flashback is finally over! I thought The queen's death would have been more tragic than just "shot by a human" though.

Azure J

One Piece

Luffy sleeping flat on the floor for the conclusion of the flashback and his comment waking up has to be some form of meta. :lol

Overall, I was kinda surprised that the Otohime shooting wasn't Van Der Decken's doing, but with this it makes things take on an interesting new route. Who set that guy up as the culprit or was he just acting alone?

Anth0ny said:
woooooooooooo flashback over!

boooooooooooo break next week! I'm fine with that though, E3 will be a pretty busy time methinks.

Oh man, thanks for this post; I almost forgot about E3 making the break not as annoying, hahahah.

.. So uhh, a random pirate without a face decided to shoot the queen? I can't be the only one who finds that suspect.

Tacitus_

Deadly said:
Where's Naruto out?

One Piece
Flashback is finally over! I thought The queen's death would have been more tragic than just "shot by a human" though.

I expected her to be shot by a world noble or something, not a pirate.

And Jinbei is correctly apologizing for his flashback. It took way too many pages.

Griffith

Banned
One Piece

A random human isn't the cause of Otohime's death, there has to be more to it than that. Hodi's plan is probably something ridiculous like go to the Reverie and kill the government officials or something. Shame about the beak next week.

Naruto

This is the first chapter in a while I've actually enjoyed. An extended Raikage and Bee flashback would be great.

Kreed

One Piece 627:

I'm still not letting Hodi off the hook, so to speak. I still think he's behind the whole thing, either framing the pirate or putting him up to it.

Disappointed we didn't see any sign of Whitebeard in the entire Flashback, but maybe that will come later. I'm guessing we'll get another Flashback from Hodi's perspective at some point.

AzureJericho said:
One Piece

Luffy sleeping flat on the floor for the conclusion of the flashback and his comment waking up has to be some form of meta. :lol

Overall, I was kinda surprised that the Otohime shooting wasn't Van Der Decken's doing, but with this it makes things take on an interesting new route. Who set that guy up as the culprit or was he just acting alone?

I loved how it led to a hilarious response from Sanji.
tumblr_lm4c4jFYpj1qaj57vo1_400.jpg

How I have missed the interactions between the strawhats.

flawfuls

Kreed said:

For One Piece I think there was a volume 1-60 released so that is why it is dominating way more than usual. I'm not sure why Gantz is up there. Maybe it had a box set released as well. I think there was a live action movie that came out recently that might have something to do with it as well.

Zeppu

Deadly said:
Where's Naruto out?

One Piece

Who was capture by Hodi/Hordy.

Just a tad suspicious.

TommyT

tri_willy said:
fanservice alert!!! wow @ kushinada mikumo

Are you talking about 432 that's been out for awhile or is there a new one?

GJ @ MangaReader for getting the big three out fast.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
One Piece

I haven't read it yet but just basing this on your responses. If Luffy slept through the flashback it's a good chance then that Jinbe could join as was speculated. Luffy never really cares about people's pasts, just how they are now.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
One Piece Flashback (620something-627

Well, that was good. I feel like it was deinitely better to read that flashback as one big chunk. Tiger was cool. Otohime was alright. Pretty sure she got killed by Hodi. Anyways, it sucks that as soon as I decide to catch up we're on break, but then again I'm okay with it since I just read all of those chapters.

Wow, Bleach and Naruto are up well before MS.

Mangazone does it twice in a row.
KuGsj.gif
Will read soon.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Infinite Justice said:
Indeed.

and his name is Hordy now?
I guess, I personally think Hodi sounded better, but maybe the official spelling is Hordy. I guess both should be pronounced about the same (Though I just realized I have been reading and pronouncing the name in my head as Hadi for the past few months)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One Piece

I don't buy the "shot by a human" story for one second. Also, Franky's reaction cracked me up. "MAN, I LOVE FISHMEN!"

Dedication Through Light said:
Ignoring the typo in this chapter, the end result of it felt odd especially with Nami casting it off like it was nothing while Jinbe is all emotional.
I don't see why this is odd. It's been a long time for Nami now, and even two years ago she was able to befriend (if not completely forgive) Hachi, who was one of the fishmen who was ACTUALLY oppressing her hometown and family and helped girl her mother. By contrast, Jinbe's only guilt is that he didn't prevent Arlong from leaving in the first place. Nami wouldn't hold a grudge against somebody like that, especially when they're obviously apologetic about it. And while Nami has had the catharsis of that experience of meeting Hachi again in the past (plus her comrades to help her move on), this was Jinbe's first opportunity to truly apologize for Arlong's behavior and face a victim of his actions. He has been carrying the guilt around for years now with no outlet to relieve it. Facing Nami gave him that chance.

*insert "Jinbe as next crewmember" commentary here*

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Drkirby said:
Hey, look at that, Jinbe has a dream, to see Fishmen live on the surface, imagine that.
Luffy also slept through Nami's tragic backstory and never heard Zoro's, Usopp's, Sanji's, Chopper's, Robin's, or Franky's. Brook's is really the only one he's actually heard at least part of (unless you count knowing Usopp''s father).

And now he's slept through Jinbe's...

Just sayin'.

MetatronM said:
Luffy also slept through Nami's tragic backstory and never heard Zoro's, Usopp's, Sanji's, Chopper's, Robin's, or Franky's.

And now he's slept through Jinbe's...

Just sayin'.

He actually kinda heard Robin's but he didn't really care.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Infinite Justice said:
He actually heard Robin's but he didn't really care.
I don't recall him ever hearing any details on Robin's actual real backstory. Her flashback took place while she was still in the Tower of Justice and the Straw Hats were on top of the courthouse.

MetatronM said:
I don't recall him ever hearing any details on Robin's actual real backstory. Her flashback took place while she was still in the Tower of Justice and the Straw Hats were on top of the courthouse.

Not full details but her fear of being abandoned due to always being targeted, luffy dont care about why and burned the flag.

Not digging Hordy though :( (if thats the official name now).

Kreed

TommyT said:
GJ @ MangaReader for getting the big three out fast.

I'm not sure why it's a "GJ" when their versions are worse than Mangastreams.

One Piece:

Infinite Justice said:
Not digging Hordy though :( (if thats the official name now).

The translations have been going back and forth on his name since he's been introduced. Usually the "speedier" translations use Hordy (similar to Pein vs Pain in Naruto).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom