• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT3| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naruto

Is this the first time it's been acknowledged the tail beast can't be killed even if the jinchuuriki die? I know that's been debated before.

I think the Raikage is way over powered and it seems like an odd time and place, to throw in a background story.

Still, this was a really good chapter, haven't said that in forever.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
MetatronM said:
Luffy also slept through Nami's tragic backstory and never heard Zoro's, Usopp's, Sanji's, Chopper's, Robin's, or Franky's. Brook's is really the only one he's actually heard at least part of (unless you count knowing Usopp''s father).

And now he's slept through Jinbe's...

Just sayin'.
He didn't really hear Brook's full flashback as it mostly occured in Brook's head while he played piano (I suppose he does know the Laboon basics though).

Luffy does, however, know Sanji's full flashback. Not only was Luffy right there when he told it but Luffy actually references back to it during the Baratie Arc (I believe it was something to the effect of "the old man didn't save you for you to kill yourself here and now").

So yeah, Sanji holds the sole honor of having his flashback heard by Luffy lol

TommyT

Kreed said:
I'm not sure why it's a "GJ" when their versions are worse than Mangastreams.

One Piece:

The translations have been going back and forth on his name since he's been introduced. Usually the "speedier" translations use Hordy (similar to Pein vs Pain in Naruto).

Guess you missed where I said 'fast'.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
One Piece

Princess - "For some reason I feel comfortable around you"
Nami - "Maybe its because we had similar pasts"
ITS BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE SAME GODDAMN FACE

grandjedi6 said:
One Piece

Hahahaha.

Goddamn, why One Piece get breaks every thing the juice part is coming?!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Naruto: B

This was the first solid...really solid chapter for a while.

Raikage is a crazy man, but I still don't dislike him. Bee should've just let him kill Naruto. Bee is a cool cat, but he'll probably end up dying or something that makes him unimportant. Naruto ended up not doing anything (trolling, I would've liked to have seen Naruto pull a move on Raikage and surprise him, just something small). And now we're in flashback mode.

I mean, I like Bee and Raikage, but not enough that it's going to put a halt to this shit when it FINALLY started to get good.

Steroyd

One Piece

lol at sleeping through the flashback.

Naruto

<3 Bee...but him having a flashback is a little ominous isn't it. :(

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bleach: B

This chapter was solid. Orihime and Riruka's dialogue was good, but went on for too long, when I wanted to see Ichigo's training.

With that said, we did see Ichigo's training, a good amount of it, along with Ichigo getting back to fighting form. But as Ginjou said, he still needs to be brought back into how he was. Him blinding/cutting Ichigo's eyes is pretty fucked up, but he should (I hope... o_o) be okay. Aizen2 is getting more and more mysterious.

Kreed

TommyT said:
Guess you missed where I said 'fast'.

I saw you said fast, but that's not something to be congratulated/encouraged when the scanlation suffers as a result.

One Piece 627

grandjedi6 said:

I honestly thought that's what Oda was referencing during that conversation.

upandaway

Call me a turkey and eat me for christmas if the human was acting solo. I don't buy it. Hodi's a dick.

It's kind of telling that Hodi would be all "HE MURDERED OUR BELOVED QUEEN!" and 5 pages later Hachi says how he has no compassion for any human-loving fishmen.

No fucking way.

I liked the flashback, though it definitely seems like it'll be referenced later on and receive full closure for all the details.

Kinda weird that Hodi would send a snail all the way out to the forest. I guess for Tom's relative?

grandjedi6 said:
One Piece

Beat me to it.

TommyT

Kreed said:
I saw you said fast, but that's not something to be congratulated/encouraged when the scanlation suffers as a result.

You're more than welcome to think that and want that from a group/site. I personally want a fast one so I can get the gist of what is going on. Thus, I will congratulate someone on getting it out fast and meeting my wants instead of waiting until the latter part of the day.

Averon

Bleach: Was good.

Naruto: The first really good Naruto chapter in a long while.

One Piece: End of flashback, thank god.

Finished my Kitoh manga binge. I'm surprised that Wings of Vendemiaire was his debut, since IMO it's his second best behind Bokurano. Hallucination from the Womb was great. Zansho wasn't bad. Sinna 1905 was bad.

Kreed

TommyT said:
You're more than welcome to think that and want that from a group/site. I personally want a fast one so I can get the gist of what is going on. Thus, I will congratulate someone on getting it out fast and meeting my wants instead of waiting until the latter part of the day.

Not trying to be rude but I dislike this kind of thinking in the scanlation community and think it's one of it's biggest problems. Getting an better quality translation and art should be more important than a quick translation that gives you a "gist" of what's going on.

Particularly speed scanlations with translation errors are a problem, because they can cause story confusion for those who only read the quickest releases/the most widely available versions (which are usually the quickest ones released). Just today we have people discussing whether Hodi's name is Hodi Jones or Hordy Jones. Another example was back with chapter 618 of One Piece where people thought there was a stronger opponent than Hodi possibly showing up because of a translation mistake Mangastream made.

If mangazone had a quick release that was better quality wise than mangastream, I would say your "GJ" is warranted, but scanlation groups shouldn't be encouraged to release bad scanlations just to have the first release.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
grandjedi6 said:
He didn't really hear Brook's full flashback as it mostly occured in Brook's head while he played piano (I suppose he does know the Laboon basics though).
He heard Brook's story about Laboon from Franky, though, plus some things like the Rumbar Pirates' last recording and things like that. He knows about Brook's dead crew and that Brook became the second captain of the Rumbar crew.

The only real elements of Brook's backstory that he doesn't actually know are probably Yorki's illness and some of the finer details about how they tried to ditch Laboon unsuccessfully. Otherwise Luffy knows just about all of the major bullet points.

By contrast, he knows nothing about Kuina, has no idea what happened to Zeff's leg, knows none of the details about Nami and Bellemere, knows nothing about Hililuk, knows nothing about Olvia or Clover or Saul or anybody else in Ohara, and knows nothing about Franky's history other than maybe that he worked with Iceberg and Kokoro in Tom's Workers.

EDIT: I take that back, you're right, Sanji did manage to get out a couple of lines about how Zeff saved him during the fight with Pearl. I had forgotten about that, partially because the anime version of things is slightly different (due to Sanji's backstory being changed).

flawfuls

Some info about how much Mangaka make from royalties

The top 100 manga creators made an average of about 70 million yen (about US$860,000) from book royalties in 2009.
Of the bottom 5,200 published manga creators, their average income from compiled book royalties in 2009 was about 2.8 million yen (US$34,000).

And some info specifically about Oda

The Weekly Bunshun magazine calculated in 2010 that Oda's annual income was 2 billion yen (US$24 million): 1.29 billion yen (US$15.5 million) for book royalties and 749 million yen (US$8.97 million) in royalties for character goods. A television program tallied his other sources of income for a final estimated total of 3.1 billion yen (US$38 million).

Articalys

I just realized, Bleach doesn't really do extended flashbacks, does it? The last time I remember it happening was Turn Back the Pendulum, and that was over two years ago.

smurfx

get some go again
Drkirby said:
Hey, look at that, Jinbe has a dream, to see Fishmen live on the surface, imagine that.
plus its not like jimbei can stick around to protect the fishmen living on the surface since he is now a wanted man. maybe if he was still a shichibukai but that is no longer an option. watch it be a case of jimbei saying he can't stick around as he would put the fishmen and mermen in danger and luffy will tell him to come with him.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Articalys said:
I just realized, Bleach doesn't really do extended flashbacks, does it? The last time I remember it happening was Turn Back the Pendulum, and that was over two years ago.
Nope, but Turn back the pendulum was probably my favorite flashback in recent memory.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Holy shit, why the fuck has MangaStream put out Hitman Reborn so fast?
KuGsj.gif

TommyT

Kreed said:
Not trying to be rude but I dislike this kind of thinking in the scanlation community and think it's one of it's biggest problems. Getting an better quality translation and art should be more important than a quick translation that gives you a "gist" of what's going on.

Particularly speed scanlations with translation errors are a problem, because they can cause story confusion for those who only read the quickest releases/the most widely available versions (which are usually the quickest ones released). Just today we have people discussing whether Hodi's name is Hodi Jones or Hordy Jones. Another example was back with chapter 618 of One Piece where people thought there was a stronger opponent than Hodi possibly showing up because of a translation mistake Mangastream made.

If mangazone had a quick release that was better quality wise than mangastream, I would say your "GJ" is warranted, but scanlation groups shouldn't be encouraged to release bad scanlations just to have the first release.

:lol that's way too much text for me to care about. GJ again mangareader for putting out a fast chapter so I can understand what this is about to hold me over until the others come out.

Stat Flow said:
KuGsj.gif
Because they were scared IEM would put it out first. They needn't have worried. Turns out MangaZone decided they wanted to do it themselves and kept the raws. IEM got pissed and now we're caught in the crossfire. Meanwhile, Mangastream put it out first. Now everyone is mad. Scanlation drama for the lose.

TommyT

Stat Flow said:
KuGsj.gif

Now gimme Toriko!

Reborn
Spade sure does plan a lot of shit out. Once he's gone what will there be left to top all this?! Crazy stuffs.

Ignis Fatuus said:
Because they were scared IEM would put it out first. They needn't have worried. Turns out MangaZone decided they wanted to do it themselves and kept the raws. IEM got pissed and now we're caught in the crossfire. Meanwhile, Mangastream put it out first. Now everyone is mad. Scanlation drama for the lose.

Wow...

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ignis Fatuus said:
That sucks. :\

Will Beelzebub be out today? Looking forward to having it on Wednesdays. Fuckyea.jpg

Credo

Luscious LeftFoot said:
Naruto

Is this the first time it's been acknowledged the tail beast can't be killed even if the jinchuuriki die? I know that's been debated before.

I always thought I had heard it mentioned that if a tailed beast's container was killed, then the beast will "disappear" for a while before re-emerging and beginning to wander around. I may have dreamed that up, or it may have even been mentioned in one of those filler arcs, like in the three-tails story.

Kreed

TommyT said:
:lol that's way too much text for me to care about. GJ again mangareader for putting out a fast chapter so I can understand what this is about to hold me over until the others come out.

Not a problem, that post wasn't directed at you specifically. Plus you've made it crystal clear you like to speed through things anyway.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
nelsonroyale said:
Excellent OP chapter...sadly not so excellent for Hody, he has finally caught Luffy's attention the poor fool
Luffy's about to wreck shit. Oda has kept us waiting long enough. I don't want to see anyone in action BUT Luffy.

SykoTech

Better than I expected. Raikage doesn't play around, so talking sure wasn't going to work on him (though his soft spot for his brother might). And Bee continues to be completing awesome. I still would have preferred if Naruto had an actual fight with the Raikage, but that was decent enough.

smurfx

get some go again
Stat Flow said:
Luffy's about to wreck shit. Oda has kept us waiting long enough. I don't want to see anyone in action BUT Luffy.
sadly you are likely to see jimbei try and stop hodi and fail to do so before you see luffy step in and take care of hodi himself. oda has to show that jimbei is now weaker than luffy before making him a part of the crew.

Sai

Naruto

I wonder if this will finally convince the translators to stop using "Bee", "Jay", "Shii" and so on.

Zoe

Sai said:
Naruto

I wonder if this will finally convince the translators to stop using "Bee", "Jay", "Shii" and so on.

"Bee" doesn't have to change... He made that his name by calling himself Killer Bee.

tenchir

Credo said:
I always thought I had heard it mentioned that if a tailed beast's container was killed, then the beast will "disappear" for a while before re-emerging and beginning to wander around. I may have dreamed that up, or it may have even been mentioned in one of those filler arcs, like in the three-tails story.

I called it a while back!!!

Gah, Mangastream's One Piece translations keeps getting worse and worse. Who is this Hordy Jones?! And Hacci at the end didn't catch any of the plan but the very next bubble says he knows it.

I really wish another group would start up the series. I stick with Mangastream because of their high quality scans but come on, get it right.

At this point I'm tempted to just go back through and type in what I think is correct for later readings.

smurfx said:
sadly you are likely to see jimbei try and stop hodi and fail to do so before you see luffy step in and take care of hodi himself. oda has to show that jimbei is now weaker than luffy before making him a part of the crew.

The one thing I'm hoping for is for Oda to pull in another crew member before Jimbei. So many people think it's him. I just dislike that character so much it's ridiculous. I don't even know why. Maybe it's just because I wasn't a big fan of the Impel Down / War during the anime run. I'll go back and read the manga and maybe it will change my mind on Jimbei.

Articalys

VGChampion said:
Gah, Mangastream's One Piece translations keeps getting worse and worse. Who is this Hordy Jones?! And Hacci at the end didn't catch any of the plan but the very next bubble says he knows it.
I don't know about the romanizations, but you're just reading the word bubbles wrong for the second complaint. The one panel is all Jinbe, while the next is Hachi.

Also MS has their Bleach out now.
e: And if you want to talk translations, compare MZ and MS on this chapter of Bleach. It's like night and day. MZ missed the meaning on a handful of lines and threw out a few spots of text to get their valued speed advantage. Also, with the exception of some excess swearing sometimes, it feels like MS translations flow better and sound more natural.
But that's just my opinion. You're free to do whatever you'd like.

Kreed

One Piece 627:

VGChampion said:

I really wish another group would start up the series. I stick with Mangastream because of their high quality scans but come on, get it right.

At this point I'm tempted to just go back through and type in what I think is correct for later readings.

Read Mangazone's version for kicks. You'll actually be happy you read Mangastream's version.

VGChampion said:
The one thing I'm hoping for is for Oda to pull in another crew member before Jimbei. So many people think it's him. I just dislike that character so much it's ridiculous. I don't even know why. Maybe it's just because I wasn't a big fan of the Impel Down / War during the anime run. I'll go back and read the manga and maybe it will change my mind on Jimbei.

I'm still holding down the "no one is joining this arc" flag until I see some serious evidence for someone joining that isn't coins or flashbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom