• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT3| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

Bakuman 134:

Ignis Fatuus said:
You're very welcome.

PCP doesn't stand a fuckin chance. It's gone.

That would actually be so, so awesome. The greatest troll ever.

...You're right. I was just throwing out something crazy as a negative alternative but it would be really funny if something that crazy happened, despite how much I want PCP done with.

Stat Flow said:
Bakuman: B+

Eiji made this chapter, had the mean mug on for the entire chapter, and he just don't give a fuck. Minus points for any Nakai action, which is totally unnecessary and a page waster.

Shujin and Saiko discussing the possibility of a new series is great, but what would be even better is if Eiji sped that process up with a cancelation of PCP. Go hard, Eiji!

Now, I hope we aren't being trolled with this cliffhanger. Seriously.

Sauce is just a boss like that.

Raikage > Naruto in any mode. It's that simple.

Seriously. PCP needs to be done.

I keep forgetting you make the same posts I do about Bakuman every week but better. Now if only we could agree on One Piece...

Claymore 115:

Wiseblade said:
I'd say spending seven years training with Isley and and then roaming the world with Priscilla is more than enough to surpass the strength of the average human and some claymores-in-training.

Yeah but it'd be more believable IMO if Raki had some sort of power/hidden ability (which he might).

Steroyd

Sket Dance x Gintama & Gintama x Sket Dance

lttp I know, but still both of them were great, I remember when trying to sell someone Sket Dance I labelled it as Gintama in a school. But I never knew how much both series were interlinked with each other for that to be so close to true. O_O

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Kreed said:
I keep forgetting you make the same posts I do about Bakuman every week but better. Now if only we could agree on One Piece...
Wait, do you dislike, like, love, or "OMFGSOGOOD" OP?
KuGsj.gif

Kreed

Bakuman 134:

upandaway said:
By the way, we all agree he's not gonna cancel +Natural, right? That's as obvious a feint as a feint can be.

If this was any other manga and I was gambling I would bet every dollar on +Natural being a feint. But in Bakuman and especially after what they did with Nanamine...I just don't know anymore.

But I REALLY hope Eiji doesn't punk out. Eiji canceling PCP would be the greatest thing to happen in Bakuman of all time.

Articalys

Steroyd said:
Sket Dance x Gintama & Gintama x Sket Dance

lttp I know, but still both of them were great, I remember when trying to sell someone Sket Dance I labelled it as Gintama in a school. But I never knew how much both series were interlinked with each other for that to be so close to true. O_O
Oh, did someone finally do the Gintama side of that crossover? I remember the Sket Dance one was out a few weeks ago.

Kreed

One Piece:

Stat Flow said:
Wait, do you dislike, like, love, or "OMFGSOGOOD" OP?
KuGsj.gif

I think I'd fall under either like or love on your scale. I enjoy One Piece most of the time but I criticize it a lot too. But for example, I actually enjoyed the flashback and haven't been bored with the Fishman Island arc, which most people seem to hate outside of Jinbei crew member speculation.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Kreed said:
One Piece:
I think I'd fall under either like or love on your scale. I enjoy One Piece most of the time but I criticize it a lot too. But for example, I actually enjoyed the flashback and haven't been bored with the Fishman Island arc, which most people seem to hate outside of Jinbei crew member speculation.

Oh, I'm the same way man. Well, I'm pretty sure if you listed most of your opinions on things about OP I'd agree. I'm inbetween liking and loving it. I don't 'hate' the Fishman Island arc, persay, but I wouldn't say its been greattttt.

But then again, I always, always reserve judgment on the beginning of an arc. I can't say what I think about it until either A) it's done or B) I can see an ending to the arc in sight. To be honest, I think it takes a while for mangaka to really hit home with where an arc (mini or full length) is going...and even though it feels like its been long, this arc has yet to get off the ground. With that said - I'm fine with how things are going right now. The flashback (I read it in one big chunk as opposed to week by week) was also well done, outside of its end.

I haven't read Claymore in about a year. Have they gotten off the island to fight dragons and shit yet?

Crakatak187 said:
How is Bakuman? I'm planning to start that soon.

Just read Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga. Bakuman is pretty bad.

QevMU.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
God's Beard said:
I haven't read Claymore in about a year. Have they gotten off the island to fight dragons and shit yet?

Just read Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga. Bakuman is pretty bad.

QevMU.jpg

It's never going to happen. Move along.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Crakatak187 said:
How is Bakuman? I'm planning to start that soon.
When it's good, it's a fun ride, when it's boring/bad...it's really meh. Sounds like every manga, I know, but with Bakuman you're in for lots of dips and rises. It's only 130something chapters in...but each chapter takes a long ass time too read -_-

Still, I was glad I picked it up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
God's Beard said:
I've convinced at least 2 people in this thread to read Jojo over as many years, the dream will never die!

...believe it!
2 posters over 3000 posts isn't a great track record GB

Holy shit I only have 32 posts in this thread. Manga must have ended already.

Angry Grimace said:
2 posters over 3000 posts isn't a great track record GB
You know, I didn't see any Jojo, Fist of the North Star, Sanctuary or Lone Wolf and Cub at Fanime. This is why Japan has a negative birth rate, it's God's divine will.

Angry Grimace

Dedication Through Light said:
Like Bleach and Fairytail, its a wild ride that that never lets go. Each moment is better than the previous...an underrated awesome manga series that does deserve your reading.
I like how you backed off on the internet persona, but then come back to it every once in a while. Now it just comes off like sarcasm.

Wiseblade

God's Beard said:

I wish. Claymore has been meandering around with no idea of what to do with itself ever since the timeskip.

Articalys

God's Beard said:
Holy shit I only have 32 posts in this thread. Manga must have ended already.

You know, I didn't see any Jojo, Fist of the North Star, Sanctuary or Lone Wolf and Cub at Fanime. This is why Japan has a negative birth rate, it's God's divine will.
For what it's worth, they screened the whole Jojo OVA in one of the video rooms on... Sunday, I think. Gave me a chance to finally watch parts of it; I caught the D'Arby poker fight and the final battle with Dio.

Steroyd said:
The funny (or worse) part about it is that given the Raikage's personality of kill first ask questions later, kishi can't pull the excuse of him holding back against the sauce.

Being fair he really didn't (to the point he was ignoring Amaretsu to kill him) its just Gaara stopped him and the Sauce escaped.

But yea main character survives the impossible, news at 11

Claymore

Things are finally shaping up to be interesting. Since Claire hasn't shown up I've been lonely and am anxiously awaiting her return. Raki seems to have leveled up quite a lot, i can only thing of how much more powerful Claire is going to be. (The whole monthly release seriously put's me out of it, claymore is about the only monthly release that i read {Vampire Knight has been going downhill}

Kreed said:
One Piece:

I've liked everything post-time skip. I thought the flash back was slow in the beginning but the only thing I really don't like is the possible Jinbei crew member. He just seems to professional for the crew. I don't think we need another Robin.

Articalys

Interesting. The official Rurouni Kenshin site did a poll a few weeks ago, asking fans who their favorite character was back when the show was airing in the late 90s versus who their favorite character is now. Unsurprisingly, Kenshin himself took the top spot for the TV show period, but for the modern results the winner was in fact Tomoe Yukishiro.

Which of course is a sign that they need to hurry up and animate the fucking Jinchuu arc already god damn it

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...-kenshin-poll/favorite-character-then-and-now

GE

Ugh... more stupidity. This series is getting worse again. Make it stop... :(

Birdy the Mighty II

Now even the Pentagon is after Birdy? It's going okay so far, but this could get harder for them for sure, couldn't it...

Lain said:
Saki 80

Hisa battle ended and I think she did well enough. It'll soon be Saki time to shine and can't wait for her to drag down to earth those foolish snobbish girls! Naturally I hope Nodoka will trash them a bit first.
80? 80 isn't new, it was released last month. 81-82 are new though, just translated! It's been a while, it's great to see Saki chapters again. From your comments, I think you're talking about 81-82. :)

In the first chapter here, the game in progress ends. One of the other teams is in the lead now, but Hisa regained a bit of the ground she lost at least. Good chapter, all about the mahjong action. Hisa manages a last hit, but it's not nearly enough to make up the gap. Too bad, Hisa's awesome and her parts are always great. At least she ended on a decently good note.

82 is an in-between chapter. Nodoka's match is next, so we meet her opponents, and she says that it's not Hisa's fault she lost the lead, sometimes good players lose.

Also, Saki continued to be Saki, and in ch. 82 they managed to show the usual nopan shots for a full three of the four characters in this coming match. I'm guessing the chapter has more fanservice because the last few chapters didn't have it, since it was a mahjong match and during the matches that's what the show focuses on. One of the opponents (a loli one from the miko team) is pretty scantily clad, too... her tanlines are quite visible. Another one's not so nice, after Nodoka drops Etopen after being surprised by the other competitor, a girl wearing a giant pacific islander mask (yeah, eclectic cast here...), she kicks Etopen so hard he bounces off the ceiling of the room. I hope she does badly. :)

On that note, the shots of the girders above the room reminded me again that Saki has really good background art some of the time... pretty good stuff.

Angry Grimace

Infinite Justice said:
Being fair he really didn't (to the point he was ignoring Amaretsu to kill him) its just Gaara stopped him and the Sauce escaped.

But yea main character survives the impossible, news at 11
It's usually not fair to compare Naruto to Sasuke in any context because Naruto never attempts to kill anyone.

Would have loved to see a legitimate fucken fight instead of a lame B flashback.

Griffith

Banned
Bakuman

Yeah PCP is done. Eiji's comment when his editor told him what Ashirogi said pretty much seals that he'll request to cancel it.

Beelzebub

I love this series. The war being started by Furuichi is hilarious, and this bodyswap has great potential.

iavi

Sket Dance
--------------------

I should have seen that one coming... There were so many hints dropped along the way. Bossun's backstory was a touching one.

Btw, can somebody tell me why all of the major online viewing sites seem to be missing 30+ chapters? They jump from 147 to 180

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Dedication Through Light said:
Like Bleach and Fairytail, its a wild ride that that never lets go. Each moment is better than the previous...an underrated awesome manga series that does deserve your reading.

...see what I mean by saying that your overwhelmingly positive reaction is... weird?

I cannot believe someone could actually say stuff like this with a straight face.

Anyway, I want to read a good romance manga--not shoujo though, if possible. Any recommendations? Action-romance is good too.

Laughing Banana said:
...see what I mean by saying that your overwhelmingly positive reaction is... weird?

I cannot believe someone could actually say stuff like this with a straight face.

Anyway, I want to read a good romance manga--not shoujo though, if possible. Any recommendations? Action-romance is good too.
You're clearly unfamiliar with the resident troll of the thread.

Just add him to your ignore list and be on your way before he starts talking about the Twilight manga or Naruto yaoi.

And no he's not sincere. Not sure if it would be better or worse if he were.

Apath

So what's the best manga reader on the iPhone? Preferably one that has a large database of manga available, but I'd also accept one that simply displays manga you load on your device.

Laughing Banana said:

Well, in my reading, Bakuman is a surprisingly good series. Surely having a positive reaction to a good series is not weird, now if I had been saying that about Code Geass: Suzaku of the Counterattack or Neon Genesis Evangelion Angelic Days, then I could see how would think its weird.

Kreed

Sket Dance

Miri said:
I should have seen that one coming... There were so many hints dropped along the way. Bossun's backstory was a touching one.

Btw, can somebody tell me why all of the major online viewing sites seem to be missing 30+ chapters? They jump from 147 to 180

The main scanlation group doing Sket Dance (Trinity BAKumA) has only gotten up to chapter 148 in the series so far. However they decided to go ahead and scanlate chapter 180 because it is a cross over chapter with Gintama. Unfortunately Sket Dance (like Gintama) isn't that popular with English fans so scanlations are released much slower than series like Naruto and One Piece, so the scanlations are behind the Japanese releases.

Lain

I followed the mt suggestion of the week and read Ashita no Ousama. It was good.

The world of acting is fascinating in its own right, yet it pulls me in even more when put into a manga story, despite a manga being unable to show to the reader the actual "acting".
The little twist in the concept that makes the main character story not about becoming an actress, but a scriptwriter/director made things even more interesting.
There is never real drama, as things usually resolve easily and quickly and the main character Sasaya Yuu is willful and headstrong but also clumsy, naive and a bit shy, making the experience flow by pretty easily.
The art style is also nice, although it reminded me of someone else, or better yet, a mix of different other authors.

Angry Grimace

Ignis Fatuus said:
Haha, the Kimi and Negima teams are now fiercely debating over whose series is better/more popular.

TWGOK > Both of Them.
Historically, Negima's been more popular for a longer period of time. I don't know though, it had a long period where basically nobody was scanning it regularly or with any skill, so that probably brought it down a lot.

And Negima's was at one time really entertaining. Ragetown's always sucked, from Ch. 1-current.

Angry Grimace

Griffith said:
Bakuman

Yeah PCP is done. Eiji's comment when his editor told him what Ashirogi said pretty much seals that he'll request to cancel it.

Beelzebub

I love this series. The war being started by Furuichi is hilarious, and this bodyswap has great potential.
The concept that the editor would actually cancel their No. 3 series over a 7 year old pointless bet is beyond even manga logic. Even beyond Tite Kubo logic.

Angry Grimace said:
Historically, Negima's been more popular for a longer period of time. I don't know though, it had a long period where basically nobody was scanning it regularly or with any skill, so that probably brought it down a lot.

And Negima's was at one time really entertaining. Ragetown's always sucked, from Ch. 1-current.
The conversation ended with basically all the other teams telling Team Kimi that their series sucks, so yeah.

As far as measuring popularity goes, the teams like to count the views and comments we get each week. Negima beat Kimi this week, hence the debate about whether Kimi has been bumped off number 2.

Griffith

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
The concept that the editor would actually cancel their No. 3 series over a 7 year old pointless bet is beyond even manga logic. Even beyond Tite Kubo logic.
There's no point bringing it up again now if it won't come into play. This should be the catalyst for them to start their next series which will (hopefully) be the one to get an anime. I do agree though that the Chief actually agreeing to cancel the series is pretty ridiculous, and I seriously doubt it will be as simple as Eiji making the request and the Chief agreeing.

This continued obsession of theirs to get an anime so they can keep a stupid childhood promise really holds the series back.

iavi

Kreed said:
Sket Dance

The main scanlation group doing Sket Dance (Trinity BAKumA) has only gotten up to chapter 148 in the series so far. However they decided to go ahead and scanlate chapter 180 because it is a cross over chapter with Gintama. Unfortunately Sket Dance (like Gintama) isn't that popular with English fans so scanlations are released much slower than series like Naruto and One Piece, so the scanlations are behind the Japanese releases.
Ah, thanks for the clarification!

Laughing Banana said:

thats his shtick

just leave it alone and move on.

Kreed said:
Sket Dance

And the later stuff is interesting too.

Can't wait until they are caught up.

Angry Grimace said:
It's not a bet. It was an agreement. The editor said he would consider Eiji's offer if he managed to become number one. The editor doesn't seem like the kind of guy to go back on his word when it's within his power, so I don't think you can call it pointless. And PCP isn't that good of a manga. It's definitely not No. 3.

There were issues with it right from the start, and lately those issues are actually becoming more relevant with the copycat. Add to that the rankings were down for a few weeks, and even though they've recovered, they're still falling behind to other authors with anime for their series. Plus, the duo themselves have been wanting to move on for awhile now, after they came to accept they'd never get an anime.

I think the chief also believes the boys can make a really good manga, the same way Hattori does. He's usually really insightful about the authors and the manga running, and how things need to play out for good results. He could see his agreement with Eiji as the perfect excuse to cancel PCP.

It's probably not something you'd ever see in real life, but it's not some logic crushing scenario either.

Claymore

All caught up. Nice to see Miria alive. I picked an awesome time to start this with nearly all the claymores betraying the organization. Gonna make the wait that much more painful though.

Also, Raki is awesome now.

upandaway

Stat Flow said:
When it's good, it's a fun ride, when it's boring/bad...it's really meh. Sounds like every manga, I know, but with Bakuman you're in for lots of dips and rises. It's only 130something chapters in...but each chapter takes a long ass time too read -_-

Still, I was glad I picked it up.
You blow my mind. That is easily the best thing about Bakuman for me. The chapters are as if they had twice as many pages.

I cannot fathom why you'd put that emoticon there.

upandaway

Laughing Banana said:

Takkoku

Just someone fucking read it! Fuck! I even bolded it this time.

(also Nana to Kaoru and for a quick read, Nisekoi is an awesome action-romance oneshot)

edit: i even copied it to the clipboard, how the fuck did i manage to submit it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom