• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT3| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

Dresden said:
No, it's shonen.

e: well, it started out in Weekly Shonen Jump, but Steel Ball Run got put on their seinen stuff, the Ultra Jump.
So far, the tone feels way different from the other jump stuff I've read, or other shonen magazines.

Articalys said:
Oh my, you're starting from the very beginning of part one?
Have fun with the next 800+ chapters!

Yeah, even though I know the stories in JJBA are supposed to be pretty standalone, I don't think I'd be able to jump in partway through without having a huge nagging feeling.

Bakuman

to the people reading it: does it seem like it's going to end any time soon? I fell behind around the time the jump editor declined giving PCP an anime and one of the ashirogi assistants got a one-shot? Should I just catch up now, or wait for it to end?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Wiseblade said:
Bakuman

to the people reading it: does it seem like it's going to end any time soon? I fell behind around the time the jump editor declined giving PCP an anime and one of the ashirogi assistants got a one-shot? Should I just catch up now, or wait for it to end?

It's hard to tell, but it's probably got a little ways to go.

Behind the scenes of scanlation...

514341-PGX2A1P.png

Team Kimi can't catch a break.

Wiseblade said:
Bakuman

Lol, just keep reading...

Articalys

survivor said:
Fairy Tail

What is this shit? Power of love, power of Gerard and now power of friends. What's left?
Okay, so I know how every shounen manga has battles where the hero is getting pounded into the ground but then all of a sudden wins with a massive deus ex machina, but is it me or does Fairy Tail use that setup to a ridiculous extent in every single battle in the series?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Articalys said:
Okay, so I know how every shounen manga has battles where the hero is getting pounded into the ground but then all of a sudden wins with a massive deus ex machina, but is it me or does Fairy Tail use that setup to a ridiculous extent in every single battle in the series?

That's because Mashima would most possibly going to explode if anyone should ever request him to do something creative or not cliched.

survivor

Banned
Articalys said:
It just seemed really random. "I'm not protecting my friends, they are protecting me" WTF. Oh and she can hear Gerard? This chapter just made me wish she had an anti-tree armor. At least that will be consistent with Erza's fights.

Sai

Stat Flow said:
Damn straight. If there is redemption, I will ragerageragerage.

I can see the ending now. Rage.
You know it's coming. There's a reason Kishimoto hasn't allowed his hands to get too dirty. The most he's done is kill a few nameless Samurai. Danzou finished himself off. :p

And now he's pretty much guaranteed not to kill anyone that matters until he gets through Naruto, which ain't happening.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Sai said:
You know it's coming. There's a reason Kishimoto hasn't allowed his hands to get too dirty. The most he's done is kill a few nameless Samurai. Danzou finished himself off. :p

And now he's pretty much guaranteed not to kill anyone that matters until he gets through Naruto, which ain't happening.

What you're saying is so true, but I figured that just the acts of what he was doing was enough, he was going to kill Sakura with no hesitation (and I wish he did...who doesn't)...he threw Karin out and pierced her just like that. He's basically a huge asshole who puts himself and Itachi before anyone else (but that's what makes him a boss...really).

Sauce killing Sakura would have done wonders for the dynamic between Naruto and Sasuke, not to mention the sanity of readers. Now, it's the same as it was when the two met at Orochimaru's hideout. Nothing has changed, Sasuke has just gotten worse when it comes to vengeance. Him finding out that Itachi was trolling him for his entire life made things even worse.

I don't know what makes less sense at this point: Naruto reforming Kyuubi or Naruto reforming Sauce.

neoanarch

Wiseblade said:
Bakuman

Anyone else feel that bit about Natural is about Bakuman itself? They tried introducing two more rivals but the manga suffered overall. now they sort of went back to Niizuma being the main rival. Its been this meta since the beginning so I'm leaning towards that conclusion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Stat Flow said:
Sauce > Naruto. Even Naruto said it.
Sasuke just happened to match up with Raikage really well from the standpoint that he has an absolute defense using Susano'o and Amaterasu. Even then he would have soundly lost to Raikage.

The problem is that Susano'o and Amaterasu aren't necessarily going to be equally as efficient against Naruto.

smurfx

get some go again
man i need something new to read. manga gaf please recommend me something that is obviously not a mainstream hit that has tons of violence please.

hajime no ippo: like anybody really believed ippo would be knocked out here.

El Sloth

Banned
smurfx said:
man i need something new to read. manga gaf please recommend me something that is obviously not a mainstream hit that has tons of violence please.
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru? Dorohedoro? Freesia mind be too mindfucky and bit more violent then what you want...

Holyland is basically based around violence, but it's main character is also a whiny bitch, so be warned.

On the shounen side: Are Psyren and Alive - The Final Evolution considered mainstream?

Ippo:

I wonder how much this guy's knowledge of Ippo will play into the fight. I'm betting he'll have a solution to a lot of Ippo's attacks

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TWGOK

Cracking up at Shiori thinking Keima was getting gay with Yui.

I wasn't a fan of the first Shiori arc. Still bummed they aren't doubling up on Kasunoki.

smurfx

get some go again
El Sloth said:
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru? Dorohedoro? Freesia mind be too mindfucky and bit more violent then what you want...

Holyland is basically based around violence, but it's main character is also a whiny bitch, so be warned.

On the shounen side: Are Psyren and Alive - The Final Evolution considered mainstream?
already read psyren. will try some of your recommendations. are they all battle mangas? something like Shingeki no Kyojin would be good. if you haven't read that then read it! is highschool of the dead good? i've been thinking of reading that for a while.

Articalys

Ignis Fatuus said:
"I wonder what she thought of you."
"To make a low estimate...a super horrible, cross-dressing, perverted man."
Fantastic. Still think it's pushing things a bit that Yui can be mistaken as a guy so easily just by cross-dressing, but whatever.
And this is the first time we've gotten any internal Shiori narration, right?

After seeing that laughing face again, I think I've decided on my next avatar. Better get ready for Kamina Keima as soon as Nanamine wears out his welcome.

El Sloth

Banned
smurfx said:
already read psyren. will try some of your recommendations. are they all battle mangas? something like Shingeki no Kyojin would be good. if you haven't read that then read it! is highschool of the dead good? i've been thinking of reading that for a while.
I would really only say that Alive is a battle manga. Karate Minoru is more like Ippo then say, Kekkaishi. Dorohedoro has plenty of great action, but that isn't it's only focus. Holyland is more realistic martial arts focused than both Ippo and Karate Minoru with a slice of whiny bitch.

Highschool of the Dead is really entertaining. I'm super biased for zombie survival stories though.

Actually, the more I think about it the less I want to recommend Freesia. Not that it's bad or anything, but I definitely don't think it's what you're looking for. It's just that "non-mainstream" and "violence" immediately made me think of it, lol.

Haven't gotten a chance to read Shingeki no Kyojin yet, unfortunately.

Edit: On the survival side of things, if you end up liking Highschool of the Dead definitely pick up Cage of Eden. It's kinda slow right now, but goddamn does it have a fast start.

upandaway

smurfx said:
Um, let's see, maybe Deadman Wonderland?

MrSerrels said:
Will do - the only reason I ask was I usually use mangastream, since I thought they were usually first with Ippo - but nothing yet.
You're behind the times. Mangastream no longer has the earliest raws.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Averon said:
WTF was that? What was the point in all that worthless build up if he was going to shrug it off so easily?
The bell will ring and he'll spend the next round trying to recover.

upandaway

Ippo

I could have appreciated a down there at least, but no matter. Now Ippo will punch him and he will die and the fight will end. Right? Right.

Fairy Tail

I could have appreciated a Luxus there at least, but no matter. Now Erza will punch their leader and he will die and the fight will end. Right? Right.

also it is my duty to mention just how impressive Mashima's dedication is to the drawing. remember, when Oda pumped out 4 spreads a chapter, his chapters were 14 pages long. as shitty as the content is, that is still pretty incredible.

Guardian Dog vol 1

I like this. It's like Aflame Inferno, but with more tolerable characters. Seems like alien possession either means you're fucked or you get a power.

Angry Grimace

Infinite Justice said:
TWGOK

wow i guess the author couldn't be bothered with the suspense this time and i think its safe to say... Chihiro :(

and wth @ the end with Keima's getup.
It's because Shiori saw him in his outfit he wore on Yui's date. Chihiro would have been a lot better than Shiori. Shiori is boring.

Fairy Tail

So if the power of wanting to protect your friends doesn't work ... you go for the power of Gerard, and if that fails you go for the power of your friends wanting to protect you?

Somehow this sounds like something I'd expect to hear in a parody.

TWGOK

Vaguely interested how Keima will handle this with the dress and all, but Shiori has never been on the top of my interest list.

Hope this conquest will go fast.

Kettch

I wasn't a big fan of Shiori back in the first arc, but somehow the anime really turned my opinion around. So now I'm quite looking forward to how the re-conquest goes, hopefully it'll be entertaining.

Wiseblade

TWGOK

Shiori? Ugh. So that means either Chihiro or Ayumi is a red herring? No fun. At least I got Yui...

Ippo

That was 17 pages? at least Ippo continues his streak of not being downed in any of his recent fights, which is one of the very few way his progress is being shown in this manga. Hopefully he just demolishes Kojima now as a statement to the world.

Celine

Paprikka said:
Cage of Eden ;_; Like a bro to the end. It was kind of obvious from the last chapter but still sad to see him go.

And apparently Usagi Drop ended, but I'm wary of the ending being
incest related
until I see more proof. Though either way I've always like the pre-timeskip stuff better than post.
Still need to read them all but I agree with the comment.
Nonetheless a good manga ( rare this days )

Steroyd

Angry Grimace said:
It's because Shiori saw him in his outfit he wore on Yui's date. Chihiro would have been a lot better than Shiori. Shiori is boring.

Chihiro is as Keima said more of a background character then a main character, I wouldn't be surprised if she was the odd one out.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oh, TWGOK is out, what a nice surprise to wake up. Will read.

Angry Grimace said:
Sasuke just happened to match up with Raikage really well from the standpoint that he has an absolute defense using Susano'o and Amaterasu. Even then he would have soundly lost to Raikage.

The problem is that Susano'o and Amaterasu aren't necessarily going to be equally as efficient against Naruto.

You bring up a good point, that a lot of shonen battles are purely about matchups.

And Sauce is a bad matchup for Naruto (from Naruto's POV). Naruto's one weakness is Genjutsu. Even during this recent training and power up, all he's been taught is how to better himself in Ninjutsu, Taijutsu, and other special arts, but nothing involving Genjutsu. Sure, Jiraiya taught him how to break out of a simple genjutsu, but that was basic stuff.

None of Naruto's fights since the timeskip have involved Naruto facing an opponent that excels in Genjutsu. Even Pain's one weakness was Genjutsu (which Jiraiya didn't know how to do, he needed the frogs for it). Of course, Sasuke excels at eyespamming genjutsu. That's what the sharingan is all about, it would be stupid for him to not take advantage of that in a fight.

And then, like I mentioned before, the Sharingan's main purpose was to subdue the Kyuubi. We don't even know what the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan can do. Sage Mode Naruto - fine, but this new mode heavily relies upon the Kyuubi in (I suppose) a multitude of ways. If Sauce has the Sharingan, I don't see why he can't make all of this recent training null & void since he can control the Kyuubi as much as the host of the Kyuubi can (my evidence for that - the very first meeting Naruto and his lover had at Oro's hideout).

Two big points that lead me to the conclusion that I come to.

Infinite Justice said:
The Sauce has always been lame storywise. Best part of his garbage was the fact that Itachi was trolling the fuck out of him the whole time.
Maybe, but his story has been better than Naruto's based on what I'm reading now. Yep. I'll stick by that. Like I said, I hated the sauce in part 1 and really liked pre-timeskip Naruto, a lot. But now, Kishimoto has written Naruto's character and story into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom