• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

Off topic but I still wonder who Mr. America is.

probably the best masked wrassler in the E'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HburE7g_tMg

He looked oddly enough like Hogan but he's not!

GOD DAMN IT KNOCK THIS SHIT OFF

6o8eQxP.png
6o8eQxP.png
6o8eQxP.png
Join the party Stro!
6o8eQxP.png
6o8eQxP.png
6o8eQxP.png

New Japan Cup kicks off tomorrow!

NJPW, "NEW JAPAN CUP", 2014.03.15
Korauen Hall, Tokyo

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw - $15

1. NJ Cup - Round 1: Yujiro Takahashi vs Shelton Benjamin
2. NJ Cup - Round 1: Toru Yano vs Minoru Suzuki
3. NJ Cup - Round 1: Katsuyori Shibata vs Karl Anderson
4. NJ Cup - Round 1: Hirooki Goto vs Doc Gallows
5. Hiroshi Tanahsahi, Kota Ibushi & El Desperado vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Jado & Gedo)
6. NJ Cup - Round 1: Lance Archer vs Prince Devitt
7. NJ Cup - Round 1: Manabu Nakanishi vs Bad Luck Fale
8. NJ Cup - Round 1: Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii
9. NJ Cup - Round 1: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.

Super kawaii IS creepy, you fucking asshole.

Uguuuu ~ why so mad, stro-kun?

kVpG3DH.jpg

Please stop

Stop talking about how awesome the New Japan Cup is going to be tomorrow? But it's such a steal! Eight intriguing singles encounter and an awesome-looking 6-man tag, all for the low, low price of $15! What a bargain.

Personally, I think Nak vs DBS Jr. has a good chance of being MOTYC awesome.

Weaklings.

New Japan announced the Best of the Super Jr's tour for 2014;

Best of the Super Jr. XXI

5/30 Korakuen Hall iPPV at 6:30pm JST (2:30am PST) - Opener
5/31 Twin Messe Shizuoka
6/01 Akashi Municipal Industrial Exchange Center
6/03 Korakuen Hall (possible iPPV? at 2:30am PST)
6/04 Saitama Memorial Gymnasium
6/05 Nagano Sports Park Gymnasium
6/06 Kyoto KBS Hall
6/08 Yoyogi National Stadium #2 iPPV at 5:eek:opm JST (1:00am PST) - Final

Guessing Devitt won't be in it this year, but they're definitely going to have to bring in some imports, as the jr's roster is a bit thin at the moment - Mascara Dorada and Ricochet, please.

Hasney

Drunk from last Ightfield to the point of being ill, 2 hours sleep because I had to wake up to work from home. Maybe watching NXT would make me feel better...

alex+riley.JPG

FUCK THIS DAY

New Japan Cup kicks off tomorrow!

NJPW, "NEW JAPAN CUP", 2014.03.15
Korauen Hall, Tokyo

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw - $15

1. NJ Cup - Round 1: Yujiro Takahashi vs Shelton Benjamin
2. NJ Cup - Round 1: Toru Yano vs Minoru Suzuki
3. NJ Cup - Round 1: Katsuyori Shibata vs Karl Anderson
4. NJ Cup - Round 1: Hirooki Goto vs Doc Gallows
5. Hiroshi Tanahsahi, Kota Ibushi & El Desperado vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Jado & Gedo)
6. NJ Cup - Round 1: Lance Archer vs Prince Devitt
7. NJ Cup - Round 1: Manabu Nakanishi vs Bad Luck Fale
8. NJ Cup - Round 1: Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii
9. NJ Cup - Round 1: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.

Uguuuu ~ why so mad, stro-kun?

kVpG3DH.jpg
That seals it for me, Devitt will not be joining The E.

Aiii

So not worth it
FAVE FIVE CURRENT SIGNATURE MOVES (NO FINISHERS):
5. Roman Reigns' dropkick to the head on the apron.
4. Daniel Bryan's Kicks to the chest and roundhouse kick to the head of a kneeling opponent
3. Dean Ambrose's Snap DDT
2. Roman Reigns' Superman punch.
1. Antonio Cesaro's European Uppercut

Honorable mention for the Giant Swing.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, I'm really happy right now. For nearly three weeks I've had the edge of my toenail wedged into the flesh on the side of one of my big toes. It hurt like hell, everytime I'd bump my toe against anything, even the sheets of my bed. I could barely touch it from the pain, but tried to cut that part of the nail anyways, didn't work.

Was about to go to the doctor because it wasn't fixing on itself and now suddenly a whole part of the nail just dropped off and the pain is gone!

YAY! So good.

Showaddy

If the E is going to bring more attention to NXT they have to stop focusing on athe Ascension and Bo Dallas. Brahs have no future in this sport.

They've seriously got to just disband the Ascension or something, they made their début at a house show last week but got complete crickets for the whole match, NXT will be stuck with them forever.

Aiii said:
FAVE FIVE CURRENT SIGNATURE MOVES (NO FINISHERS):

Hmmm...

1. Cesaro's Swiss Death uppercut
2. Okada's dropkick
3. Shibata's corner dropkick
4. Bryan's running knee
5. that dropping to one knee thing Minoru Suzuki does to catch an opponent coming off the ropes into a sleeper

Aiii said:
So, I'm really happy right now. For nearly three weeks I've had the edge of my toenail wedget into the flesh on the side of one of my big toes. It hurt like hell, everytime I'd bump my toe against anything, even the sheets of my bed. I could barely touch it from the pain, but tried to cut that part of the nail anyways, didn't work.

Was about to go to the doctor because it wasn't fixing on itself and now suddenly a whole part of the nail just dropped off and the pain is gone!

YAY! So good.

I know that pain - it happened to me before, so I just got a pair of scissors, 'sterilised' them with a lighter and then cut into the side of my toe to get at the nail from the other side. So satisfying.

They've seriously got to just disband the Ascension or something, they made their début at a house show last week but got complete crickets for the whole match, NXT will be stuck with them forever.
Enzo's leg better be healing quickly. Think they give them the strap then release The Ascension. They are just fucking awful in every way and they've been in wrestling for a while.

Why we no got more NXT merchandise Double Double E?

Showaddy

Enzo's leg better be healing quickly. Think they give them the strap then release The Ascension. They are just fucking awful in every way and they've been in wrestling for a while.

Why we no got more NXT merchandise Double Double E?

You'll get a Mojo Rawley shirt and you'll like it.

FAVE FIVE CURRENT SIGNATURE MOVES (NO FINISHERS)

5) Bryan's modified figure four transition into a series of forearms to the face. Wish he did that more often.

4) Punk's knee to bulldog combo.

3) Brock's triple powerbombs.

2) HHH's running knee.

1) Nakamura when he puts his foot into someone's neck or face and shakes his leg and the crowd goes wild. That's awesome.

Yeah I'm not good with move names. Guess I'm perfect for a WWE commentary job!

Rapstah

I honestly really like the implication that Albert is the real guy who plays the character Tensai. It's like when they start using someone's real name to signify that he's more real than when he was playing a character, except the real name is also fake. Great stuff.

Edit: What is Bo Dallas' finisher? Was it always that terrible-looking impaler DDT?

Showaddy

I honestly really like the implication that Albert is the real guy who plays the character Tensai. It's like when they start using someone's real name to signify that he's more real than when he was playing a character, except the real name is also fake. Great stuff.

Edit: What is Bo Dallas' finisher? Was it always that terrible-looking impaler DDT?

I thought his terrible looking spear was his finisher at one point but now I'm not sure. He seems to just alternate between a load of poorly executed moves.

Browny

Banned
Real talk: HBK was a better wrestler after his come back.

Easily. Based upon the number of "5* star matches" before and after:

Before: Ladder match(es), Iron Man match, Royal Rumble Taker (borderline)

After: HHH return match, Cena on Raw, Undertaker (x2), Flair, Angle...

Actually, that's closer than I thought. But the quality is much higher post 2002. Probably due to a lack of coke.

And that Hogan match, lol

strobogo

Banned
He was much better at his in ring psychology and got better at selling as opposed to bumping, which are not the same thing.

It always bothers me when every week people talk about how Dolph is so good at selling. He isn't. He's great at bumping. He doesn't sell anything. That's something young HBK was guilty of as well. Shawn got so much better at selling emotion in a match post 2002. Before that, the only emotion you'd really get was "Shawn is pissed about something again".

It's not about how many 5 star matches he had in which part of his career. 2002 on is better because he was better at story telling instead of relying on his athleticism.

Browny

Banned
I think the 90's struggled with a lot of matches that weren't paced particularly well, which directly or indirectly led to a perceived lack of appropriate ring psychology. There are obvious exceptions, some involving Michaels (Mankind, Bret, Owen, Razor, even a couple with Nash) - but as a whole I don't think the main fan base were as picky about it.

I still enjoy watching Ambrose vs Regal matches for psychology (and pace, to a lesser extent). Perhaps Michaels spent 4 years watching Regal matches?

Edit: noted about your point on 5 star matches - but it's some sort of indicator of how relatively high a regard people hold his later works to his earlier stuff.

Showaddy

Getting a serious NXT Redemption vibe of the latest set of NXT tapings. Endless squash matches and guys like Khali, Brodus Clay & Justin Gabriel stinking up the place.

strobogo

Banned
If WM every comes back to Indy, I'm getting front row tickets, painting my face like the GAF logo, and bringing WrassleGAF/Legit Shook/Michael Hayes is a cunt signs.

Hasney

Justin Gabriel is back in a TV program? Fucking finally. Wish they'd randomly tag him and Tyson Kidd back up.

Edit: new page

Maria-ROH-006.gif

Browny

Banned
Having just watched the first two minutes of this, I think I've just found my lunch hour's entertainment - a 2K14 Royal Rumble with some amusing entrants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs2c94cHcdI#t=70

Edit: also I've just noticed the guy to the left of Maria's ass, and the look of concentration on his face...

Edit 2: oh my god, the lucha mask head tilt too...

Edit 3: that youtube video is terrible.

Striker

I liked what Maria looked like in that 2005-2006 time, but she looks awesome now too. Ain't arguing!

Real talk: HBK was a better wrestler after his come back.
So it's based off just his style, and not match quality? I'm not gonna say one way or the other. He had Bret and Owen to really face with before he left. I suppose you can throw in Mankind and Austin (for a short bit), but the rest were mostly monsters that were fed to him. Sid, Diesel, Vader (rip Summerslam 1996), and really, Taker didn't start getting more interesting in the ring until 1996 or so himself. Taker had fun stuff with Mankind and Vader, too.

After he returns, there's a ton of dudes he gets to work with since WCW/ECW went under. My favorite feud for him has to be the 2008 one with heel Jericho. And really Jericho's turn was really great.

Sblargh

Banned
I have to find a way to break free from Kingdoms of Amalur. It weirdly is becoming my favorite game, fuck, ever? I finished once, then finished again, then finished on hard, now installed a mod to make it even harder (because it's not that the game is easy in its foundation, but the exp and %s bonuses work in a kind of dumb way where you suddenly become overpower. Things get tough, but you're just that much tougher) and am kind of halfway throuh this hardcore mode, kind of planning a second hardcore run.

I took a break to play thirty flights of loving, which is excellent, but so short. It lasts, what, 15 minutes? 20? But now my backloging is growing with stuff I do want to play; I got a bunch of adventure games on some sale, like Syberia, Nikopol and The Novelist. Then there's Papo & Yo and XCom: Enemy Within which I was really hyped to play, but nope, Amalur sucking my soul. I played only one match of Europa Universalis 4. Granted I went all the way (Portugal really is easy mode/tutorial for this game), but it is another game I thought I would be playing all year.

I'm enthralled. I'm addicted. The brilliant skill tree that allows so many different playstyles, the excellent loot, the handcrafted open world with beautiful bits of lore and detail on every corner, urgh... ... I'm... I'm stuck. I'm trapped. I think "time to play games" and I really don't want to play anything else... like, ever...
How did this happened?
How...?

Sorry for the rant... I'll go back to Kingdoms of Amalur now.

strobogo

Banned
I liked what Maria looked like in that 2005-2006 time, but she looks awesome now too. Ain't arguing!

So it's based off just his style, and not match quality? I'm not gonna say one way or the other. He had Bret and Owen to really face with before he left. I suppose you can throw in Mankind and Austin (for a short bit), but the rest were mostly monsters that were fed to him. Sid, Diesel, Vader (rip Summerslam 1996), and really, Taker didn't start getting more interesting in the ring until 1996 or so himself. Taker had fun stuff with Mankind and Vader, too.

After he returns, there's a ton of dudes he gets to work with since WCW/ECW went under. My favorite feud for him has to be the 2008 one with heel Jericho. And really Jericho's turn was really great.

I base it on how much better he became at telling a story in the ring and selling emotion and injuries more than what is or isn't a 5 star match. It's fair to argue that HBK had better talent to work with post come back, but it is the things HBK himself did regardless of opponents that I think made him better post 2002. In his physical prime, he relied 100% on his physical ability outside of a handful of matches. I think his maturity and new outlook on life (regardless of if the born again thing is a work or not) had a very positive effect on how he went into matches. He became much more worried about telling a good story and showing vulnerability as opposed to making sure he was stealing the show. And when those things over lap, that's when he has really been at his best.

I feel like he was significantly more humble once he came back and it helped his matches. Better talent to work with obviously helps, but he spent most of the 90s being a dickhead more worried about making people remember him instead of the match. The HBK of 1996 would not have had nearly as interesting of a match with Vince as the HBK of 2006 would have had. And for that matter, I don't think the HBK of 1996 would have had a match nearly as emotional as 2008 HBK had with Ric Flair. 90s HBK was really an immature dick head. Wrestling is a weird physical profession because very rarely do physical prime and story telling prime overlap at the same time. Most guys hit their physical peak around 30, but their story telling peak closer to 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom