• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's just the wait for the next Monday Night RAW is driving everyone crazy, Aiii.

I theorize that WWE giving us everything we asked for at Mania, Brock vs. Taker AND an awesome Battle Royal has made everyone turn on eachother to fill the void that we used to have hating on whatever WWE was doing wrong. The WWE Network being really good doesn't help either.

strobogo

Banned
Battle Royal is the equivalent of having two 4 way tag matches for years and then MITB as a way to shove a bunch of people on the card without having to go to the effort of doing storylines.

Aiii

So not worth it
I love Battle Royals, they are just about the best gimmick ever.

Royal Rumble definitely improved on the concept, but that doesn't mean classic BR's suck.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
WrestleMania XIV Part 1

Welcome to WRASSLEMANIAAAAAA

WrestleManiaXIV.jpg

Wrestlemania 14 is regarded as the night the attitude era officially began. It was the first WrestleMania that I remember watching live on our cable descrambler when I was seven.

The show starts with a video package extolling both the legacy of Wrestlemania and hyping up the new rogues with attitude that are occupying the main stage. Convicted rapist Michael Gerard Tyson is one of the big draws of the show, as he is a global boxing phenomenon and the special enforcer in the main event, whatever that means

1.) 15 Team Tag Team Battle Royal
LOD 2000, Farooq & Kama, The Godwins, The Quebeccers, Skull & 8-Ball, Mark Henry & D-Lo, The Rock-n-Roll Express, The New Midnight Express (who the fuck thought to put Bart Gunn and Sparky Plugg together and call them the New Midnight Express?) Steve Blackman & Flash Funk (tha fuck?), Savio Vega & Miguel Perez, Bradshaw & Chainz (tha fuck?), Sniper & Recon, Too Cool and The Headbangers all battling for a shot at the tag team titles at Unforgiven.

The show officially begins with Farooq and Kama walking down the ramp with 26 men already around the ring. I would have loved if they made us sit through all 15 entrances, most of which are jobbers and random compilations of people. I think it’s impressive that they had the roster depth to have 15 tag teams given that in modern times, they have enough for about 5. The last mystery team is LOD 2000, accompanied by Sunny. Sunny was hot as hell before she aged 70 years and started snuggling with fans for $15 and half a sandwich. LOD 2000 sucked. They are wearing hockey masks, don’t have their baller mullets and Animal is wearing trunks.
lodcjjk5.gif

All 30 men get in the ring and start brawling immediately.
jobberfightdwjmy.gif

This is the footage they use in Royal Rumble video packages even though there are never 30 men in the ring at once. Once one member of the team is thrown over the top rope, the team is eliminated and their partner has to leave the ring. They might as well have thrown 13 of these teams over the top in the first five seconds as nobody gives a fuck about them. One by one, the jobber teams get eliminated and since there is so much shit going on at once, team members are not aware that their partner was eliminated and continue to fight anyways. The match sucks but the spectacle of seeing 30 dudes brawling was worth the effort. Eventually we get down to the final two, which is the shitty version of LOD and the shitty version of Midnight Express. LOD closeline Bodacious Bob and Sparky Plugg out of the ring at the same time and earn their title shots.

They show a video package of the WWF events around the Boston area leading up to Wrestlemania. 15,000 people went to the DX Public workout, Austin and Regis had strange sexual tension and a kid had to pretend to be excited about meeting Flash Funk.

2.) Taka Michunoku vs. Aguila
The first and only Light Heavyweight Title match in WrestleMania history sees Taka and a 19 year old Essa Rios battling it out in a fast paced, five minute match.
asaimoonsaltuzj1y.gif

This must have been WWF’s attempt to combat WCW’s excellent cruiserweight division and it didn’t last long, not enough tall or striations. The match is decent enough for the time given and Taka eventually gets the win with a Michunoku driver. The most interesting part of the match is King’s blatant racism!

Now it’s time for the world’s favorite game, WHAT DID KING SAY?
A. If I was Aguila, I would make like Taco Bell and Run for the border.
B. Im not prejudice, I hate each one of them equally.
C. Taka looked like one of those kamazaki pilots flying through the air there.
D. Brian Christopher could beat them both up.
E. All of the above

If you said E, all of the above…you are correct and know King’s horribleness well!

The people's Intercontenental champ sits down with Gennifer Flowers, who fucked Clinton and made a big deal about it when he ran for president in 1992. We find out that the term leader is beneth the Rock, he wants to be ruler. He could give a shit about the homeless as long as they stay off his freshly mowed grass, as long as Rock fans realize he is judge and jury then things will be fine, if he were the jury, 9 times out of 10 hung jury. If he were president, interns oraly wrong...morally wrong things would be ok. All this was to set up for a Clinton joke.

3.) HHH vs. Owen Heart for the European title
The majestic COO is played to the ring by the DX Band, with the lead singer doing his best Zack de la Rocha impersonation.
dxdouchesvjqk.gif

Hunter is accompanied by Chyna, who I believe he was having sex with and loving it at this point in time. Chyna will be handcuffed to Commissioner Slaughter to make sure they she doesn’t interfere in the match, which is easier than just banning her from ringside.
chins7mjed.gif

I guess the original story was supposed to involve Owen vs Shawn, looking to revenge his brothers screw job a few months prior. Shawn passed and they gave it to HHH instead. The story of the match is that Owen has an injured ankle and Chyna is looking for ways to help HHH retain. Eventually, Chyna pocket sands Slaughter, which allows her to give Owen a nice tap to the nuts which allows HHH to pedigree Owen and retain the title.

4.) Goldust & Luna Vachon vs. Marc Mero & Sable
A video package shows Marc Mero’s rise to boxing mediocrity and his jealousy of Brock Lesnar’s future slam piece Sable. This match sucks because Marc Mero sucks, Goldust was fat and wearing an outfit that rivals Mike Quackenbush for worst ring gear of all time and Sable was not going to wrestle.

Goldust and Mero carry the majority of the match and the only thing the crowd cares about seeing is Sable. If Sable wasn’t in the ring the crowd did not give a single shit. Poor Luna, her task was to be afraid of Sable and do anything in her power to avoid the vicious offense of punches and kicks in Sable’s silicon war chest. At one point, Mero attempts to get Goldust up for the TKO and stuggles because he has no core strength and Goldust weights a metric ton.
struggle.gifsdj9w.gif

This match goes on twice as long as it needs because all they needed was enough time for Sable to do her two spots. I don’t understand why Sable was the most over person of the night not named Stone Cold. The only reason I can think of was because she was pretty. Sable eventually hits a way better TKO than Marc Mero and picks up the victory.
sablecpko2.gif

Sable fans
marks5hjbq.gif

Into

You know, that whole Sable + Mark Mero break up tease felt like it lasted for goddamn eternity, i have seen what feels like a thousand RAW's in 97-98 where they come out, Mark treats her badly and tells her to go in the back -> fans boo. He cuts a promo -> they eventually stop caring about him. Rense and repeat, always repeat.

Its like they wanted to make Mark a star, but figured that, on his own, he simply did not have it, them being a couple meant that for his career she would have to stick around with him.

Even after they broke up and Mark came out with Jacquelin, him and Sable would still would still interact quite often.

For years, I've thought Cena was a good wrestler who just doesn't put in the effort because he doesn't need to, but after seeing all of his WM matches, I'm convinced he actually is a cheese dick wrestler and his good matches are anomalies and depend on a better opponent and good agent. He's really at his worst during big matches. When he has a wrestling match, he can be good. When he has epic main events, he's shockingly bad.

cena's staggeringly bad at performing spots too /attitudeerasmark

I hate when they shove jobbers into documentaries. The fuck would i care about anything Miz and Kofi has to say? And when are they going to make some damn Rivalry sequels?

Not only is it not as good as you remember, it's actually terrible. That voice. And hair...boner retardant.
I don't understand how I ever gave a shit about Sable. I guess it was just me being a horny perverted middle schooler.

I just went back and watched the bikini segment from Fully Loaded 98 and ugh.

I then proceeded to watch the evening gown match from Armageddon 99 and I remember thinking Ivory was not that attractive, but seeing her now she wasn't so bad.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's even weirder that Sable first started getting mega over when the much more attractive Sunny was still in her prime and with WWF.

Even my 14 year old self never understood the sable hype. Sure she had big tits and wore pleather but my god MAGGLE she had an ugly mug.

Back then Sunny was smokin. Although i had the biggest puberty crush on Alundra Blaze. But I much prefer the ladies of the later attitude era and into the 2000s. More variety of eye candy. Plus some of those women could actually work.

I hate when they shove jobbers into documentaries. The fuck would i care about anything Miz and Kofi has to say? And when are they going to make some damn Rivalry sequels?

ahhh hhaaaa, for real though lol. Makes me laugh looking at those fools and thinking "sorry bastards, this is probably one of the highlights of your career." I'm watching that Rock/Cena Once In A Lifetime pre documentary before WM29 I believe and it is hella pretentious. This had got to be one of the most humiliating matches to lose, ever.

Rapstah

Hahaha, this is in Wade Barrett's official WWE.com profile:
Barrett returned to Raw on Dec. 2, and it wasn't good news for the WWE Universe. Berating the Oklahoma City crowd, Barrett has taken it upon himself to be WWE's bearer of bad tidings. Banging a gavel to quiet the WWE Universe, Barrett takes joy in ruining the good mood of anyone unfortunate enough to hear him speak from behind his ominous lectern. The Brit later admonished a group of legendary Superstars during Old School Raw, leaving many of the WWE Hall of Famers and WWE Legends seething. Most recently, he crashed AJ Lee's poorly-attended party celebrating her record-breaking Divas Championship reign. Barrett gave AJ the bad news that nobody showed up because the entire locker room loathes her, leaving the Divas Champion a screaming mess.

Someone finally stood up to Barrett on the Feb. 4 edition of Raw. Jerry "The King" Lawler climbed on to the announcers' table and declared that the WWE Universe hoped Bad News Barrett would scram. Barrett seethed as the crowd cheered, probably ensuring that more bad news is on the way.
It's like someone re-capped what was supposed to happen if that thing had been thought through.

ghostmind

Just finished watching the opening matches of the New Japan Cup. Solid, though not spectacular matches in most cases, including the best Bad Luck Fale match I've seen so far.

Match of the night for me was Devitt vs. Archer.

Some interesting matches set for 03/22, especially
Nakamura vs. Devitt.

somedevil

Just finished watching the opening matches of the New Japan Cup. Solid, though not spectacular matches in most cases, including the best Bad Luck Fale match I've seen so far.

Match of the night for me was Devitt vs. Archer.

Some interesting matches set for 03/22, especially
Nakamura vs. Devitt.

How far Devitt goes is going to interesting. Supposedly he hasn't made a decision yet and this tournament is his last booking for New Japan right now.

Aiii

So not worth it
Things I don't relate to Impact Wrestling:
Great wrestling
Coherent booking
Good or even remotely decent acting

I wish I had Chikara's DeLorean so I could go back in time and restore the TNA timeline by removing Hogan and Bischof from its history.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Part 1

Tenesee Lee is in the ring to introduce DOUBLE J Jeff Jarrett and the woman who gave Clinton a rim job.
doublej5dsiz.gif

Gennifer said that she has been with great and that JJ is great. She then asks Jarrett to do a duet with her when the Nation theme hits and is given the introduction card to read. I am assuming at one point her and JJ were going to sing a song together but it probably got cut for time and she forgot. I want to live in the universe where that duet happened. Gennifer stumbles over her introductions as Rocky and Kenneth come to the ring.

5.) The Rock vs. Ken Shamrock for the Intercontinental Title
Kenneth gets in the ring and starts whooping the Rocks ass immediately. I love it when dudes get in the ring and immediately start fighting. This is a quick match involving nothing but Shamrock beating the hell out of the Rock. Shamrock brings a chair into the ring and shoves the ref down when he dares try and pry that chair away. The Rock caves Shamrock’s skull in with a chair shot that Benoit would call home.
chair0as88.gif

Shamrock eventually gets Rocky in the ankle lock and he taps immediately.
rock.gifk2sfm.gif

Shamrock refuses to break the hold and Farooq comes down to the ring for the sav…nope, he just looks at Rocky in agony and heads back up the ramp. A bunch of referees and the Nation eventually get Shamrock to break the hold and he activates his X-Factor, giving everyone a suplex. The referee decides to reverse the decision, giving The Rock his title back. Shamrock snaps again and beats the shit out of The Rock on the ramp just for good measure.

Video package of wrestlers complaining about how people don’t take them seriously wahhh, we are carnies who fake fight wahhhh.

6.) Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie vs. New Age Outlaws in a Dumpster Match for the Tag Team Titles
Terry Funk is fucking old. This show was around the time of the filming of Beyond the Mat and the film talks about how broken down his body is. This match set the standard for what hardcore matches during the attitude era would be. Foley sets up a ladder for some reason and starts climbing it. Mr. Ass decides to climb the other side for fun and you guessed it, they both get shoved off the ladder into the dumpster.

The match eventually works its way backstage, where Funk puts his heavy machinery operating license to good use and uses a forklift to put the outlaws into the dumpster and earn the tag titles.
dumbsterynsa3.gif

Funk starts raving like a homeless person that just consumed a bottle of absinthe under a bridge, showing the nastiest bruise I have ever seen that takes up the entirety of his right side.

The next night on Raw, they would lose the titles back to the Outlaws because that wasn't a regulation dumpster! Russo.png

Video package showing the story of Kane and Undertaker.

7.) Kane vs. Undertaker

The story of Kane and Undertaker started out simple enough. Paul Bearer was working in the Undertaker’s family’s funeral home and nutted inside of Undertaker’s mother, which eventually led to the birth of Kane Snow. Undertaker, upset at his mother’s willingness to spread her legs for 4 foot tall men decides to burn the house down, killing his parents and burning his brother. Kane was then sent to an asylum. Kane escapes from the asylum, finds out his brother is a sports entertainer and decides to become a dentist to earn enough money to attend wrestling school, so he can beat his brother in front of millions of people.

Future hall of famer (haha) Pete Rose announces Kane to the ring for some reason. He talks about fucking wiffle ball or some shit and makes the crowd mad. Kane gets to the ring and begins the feud that would come to define his career with Peter Rose. Rose eats a tombstone and heel Kane gets a massive pop.
rosenxsgo.gif

Taker is out next, accompanied by his druids. What do the druids do when they are backstage?

This is the first match on the card that feels like a Mania match, especially with the entrance of the Undertaker, which takes about 24 minutes.
The wrestling in the match itself is fairly weak and would be trumped by their inferno match at Unforgiven, but the aura of the match makes up for it. These two dudes are 7 feet tall and very agile and I enjoy seeing Kane as a legitimate monster as opposed to a bald libertarian insurance agent who chases Zack Ryder around. The match is mostly brawling and a massive rest hold that lasts like 3 minutes with a couple of big spots, like an impressive electric chair drop
shoulders95szz.gif

and taker diving through the announce table
Notice the amazing selling of the Spanish announce team. What professionals.
tablem2s9a.gif

My biggest issue with this match was the amount of tombstones. There were 4 tombstones in the finish of this match, with Kane eating 3 of them, the third finishing him off. Kane twitches his shoulder at 3.0001 but it’s too little too late, as Taker has been proven to be the better brother.

Paul Bearer delivers a series of the weakest struggle kicks to taker that I have ever seen Kane beats him down with a chair, finishing with a tombstone on said chair.

Video package hyping up the main event between Michaels and Austin, which is mostly focused on Tyson.

Micheals has a back injury heading into the match and this will be his last match until Summerslam 2002.
hhh0hsd1.gif

Crowd pops huge for Austin as he walks down to the ring and exchanges words with Tyson. DX is played to the ring by the DX band and WWE composer Jim Johnston looks like a dad trying to bond with his rebellious teenage son by playing bass in the band with his shirt tucked into his dad jeans.

The match starts with a brawl and Austin pulls Shawn’s pants around his ass and throws him over the top into Hunter and Chyna. Hunter attacks Austin outside the ring and for some reason, this doesn't count as a DQ, instead HHH and Chyna get ejected from ringside. Michaels and Austin brawl outside the ring and work their way back towards the ring. Shawn is in pain and it shows. It was odd for the announcers to point out how hurt the heel is, as that is usually used for a face to make their comeback, despite the pain. It was so obvious; with Shawn limping around that the announcers had to make a point of it.

Eventually, the ref takes a bump and Michaels hits the elbow drop and sets up Austin for a super kick. Austin ducks the super kick and tries to give Michaels the stunner, which Michaels turns around and attempts another super kick. Austin catches the last super kick and unlike Kane, one finisher is enough and Austin wins the belt for the first time as Tyson is for some reason is allowed to make the three count, and a fast one at that.
finishxtsr0.gif

Tyson, showing himself to be a bandwagon fan as he knocks out Shawn and celebrates by wearing a Stone Cold shirt as the show goes off the air.
tyson2ismb.gif

This PPV, while immensely important as the start of the most prosperous era in wrestling history was a fairly mediocre show. Of the 8 matches, only the Kane/Taker and Austin/Michaels matches were memorable. Nothing on the show was egregiously bad, but you could watch only the last two matches and you wouldn't be missing out on anything significant. This show did 3 times the buys of Mania 13 and set the stage for era that everyone pines to relive.....

THE ATTITUDE ERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
flipp8vs1q.gif

Mengetsu

Some more notes from Stings Q and A:

As noted earlier, Sting participated in a Q&A show at Camden Highlight Club in London last night. Here are some more highlights from the Q&A, courtesy of WrestlingINC.com reader Scott Hainge:
- Sting praised Eric Bischoff and said he was a great manager behind the scenes.

- He surprised a lot of people with his praise of Vince Russo and said it doesn't matter how long for, but Russo was successful anywhere he went in the business.

- He has fond memories about beach blonde Sting from the 1990's. While in TNA he was asked to go back to it, but he pointed out that he doesn't have the hair anymore.

- He liked working in the n.W.o and the Main Event Mafia.

- When talking about TNA Sting said he went to bat for Magnus, he pushed and pushed for him backstage. He rates Somoa Joe as a true talent and said that he needed more time with in TNA. Sting also mentioned how talented AJ Styles is.

- Sting made a joke about Dixie's mic skills, and the crowd agreed that they are not the best in the world.

jred2k

I'm starting to feel bad after reading the latest Hayes rant. He's gone from bigoted carny asshole to straight up villainous evil.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, how is the WWE network overall? Is the quality pretty good? Worth the money? I have to admit, it's fun reading people's rants/recaps of various shows and I feel the urge to get in on all the action. I was a big NWA/WCW fan and if all those shows are up, I'll be in a good place.

strobogo

Banned
That performance is GOAT.

Either that or Freddie tribute are the best they did.

Tokyo 1992 is super weak and flat. They had a lot of better shows in 1992 and 1993 and for that to be the one the picked to release was always weird to me. Never been a fan of that show. It doesn't feel like it has the energy from the crowd or the band that was usual from that time period.

Freddie Tribute was pretty rad though, especially when Axl comes busting on the stage OUTTA NOWHERE. So many better bootlegs than the Tokyo show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom