• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario shows up at Rio 2016 Closing Ceremony

Nah, one way or another the International Olympic Committee always gets its cut. The know that the Olympics itself is the major brand; everything else is a co-sponsor and has to pay for the privilege of being associated with the games. So there shouldn't be any doubt Nintendo spent a lot of money to make this little marketing exercise possible. My only argument is that such resources would have been better spent elsewhere, in light of Nintendo's diminished global presence this past year.

Stop-GIF_2.gif

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo surely paid, as did Shueisha. The Olympics is less about athletes and more about an elaborate exercise in bribery and co-branding. The International Olympic Committee isn't stupid, they aren't going to give Nintendo a world stage and global coverage for free, money changed hands to make this cameo possible. A pity then Nintendo doesn't have any new products to promote at the moment.

My head is spinning.

BY2K

Membero Americo
in light of Nintendo's diminished global presence this past year.

And you think a major presence during the closing ceremony of the GODDAMN OLYMPICS isn't gonna help with that!?

EulaCapra

Aww and Hello Kitty.

Add in Pikachu, and the stadium would have lost its shit and probably think there would be a Pokemon Go promotion going on.

Kintor

Banned
i hope your post is a joke
Call me cynical is you like, I just don't have allusions about the apparent sanctity of the Olympic Games. Nothing happens at the Olympics, even the chosen location, without careful consideration as to how the International Olympic Committee would best profit from the choice. So, Nintendo needed to play ball if they wanted Mario in the closing ceremony. An interesting idea that will get Nintendo a lot of coverage, but given the context of the WiiU's barren release schedule and the NX's absence it's still an inefficient use of resources.

Call me cynical is you like, I just don't have allusions about the apparent sanctity of the Olympic Games. Nothing happens at the Olympics, even the chosen location, without careful consideration as to how the International Olympic Committee would best profit from the choice. So, Nintendo needed to play if they wanted Mario in the closing ceremony. An interesting idea that will get Nintendo a lot of coverage, but in given the context of the WiiU's barren release schedule and the NX's absence it's still an inefficient use of resources.
And the gold medal of shit posting goes to

SalvaPot

Call me cynical is you like, I just don't have allusions about the apparent sanctity of the Olympic Games. Nothing happens at the Olympics, even the chosen location, without careful consideration as to how the International Olympic Committee would best profit from the choice. So, Nintendo needed to play ball if they wanted Mario in the closing ceremony. An interesting idea that will get Nintendo a lot of coverage, but given the context of the WiiU's barren release schedule and the NX's absence it's still an inefficient use of resources.

So....

Doomed?

Yes, because there's no other reason why Japan and the IOC would promote the Tokyo Olympics with Mario, Japan's most iconic (and internationally known) pop culture icon.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I really need to stop visiting Gaming side.

Black_Red

Yeah, captain tsubasa (Super campeones) was huge here in latin america and most people my age (20-30) can still remember the characters and more important matches. In fact I just realized that with football being so unpopular on USA it's probably the one of the few animes that was a hit here but they didnt even watch it.

rhandino

Banned
Mario and Pac-Man at the closing ceremony of the Olympic Games and some of you managed to make it a "Nintendo is doomed" thread.

A mess.

Kodaman

dude...

DUUUUDE!!

giphy.gif

Yeah, captain tsubasa (Super campeones) was huge here in latin america and most people my age (20-30) can still remember the characters and more important matches. In fact I just realized that with football being so unpopular on USA it's probably the one of the few animes that was a hit here but they didnt even watch it.

Saint Seiya also didn't get any run in the US. Tried in the early 2000s but it was way too late.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
... Can't we all just be grateful VIDEO GAMES are getting this sort of attention on a world stage? Mario/Nintendo are video game ambassadors; this is *huge* for everyone.

Ivellios

I was amazed when i saw it, really creative! and the music at the end with the fireworks just concluded a perfect presentation from japan!

Kintor

Banned
Yes, because there's no other reason why Japan and the IOC would promote the Tokyo Olympics with Mario, Japan's most iconic (and internationally known) pop culture icon.
Japan can do what it likes to promote the Tokyo games but the International Olympic Committee serves its own interests first. Like I said, it's paid co-branding for Nintendo and has absolutely nothing to do with Tokyo or notions of the 'Olympic spirit'.

random25

All anime sports will be resurrected in 2020.

Mario and Sonic at 2020 Olympics will sell out for sure.

Doraemon will surely put out all his stash of futuristic PEDs out of his magic pocket.

Plum

Here's an extract from the Wikipedia description of 2012's opening ceremony:

J. K. Rowling began by reading from J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan (whose copyright was given to Great Ormond Street Hospital).

So you're telling me that a goddamn Children's Hospital had to pay the IOC extortionate amounts of money to get an extract read from a 1911 public domain novel?

What?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
"Mario & Pacman ft Doraemon at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games" for Nintendo NX

casiopao

Can't wait for the upcoming Olympic in Japan lol.

Soo many great promotion they can do too.

Slam Dunk for Basketball
Haikyuu for Volleyball
Tsubasa, Giant Killing for Football
Prince of Tennis for Tennis
Hajime no Ippo, Ashita no Joe for Boxing
Diamond no Ace, Major for Baseball

and all the other big anime franchise. Mario, Pikachu, Hello Kitty, Doraemon, Goku, Hatsune Miku, Chopper, Haro, Rilakuma, etc.

If all the animation and game industry come guns blazing, those visiting is going to lose their shit=wallet lol.

Can't wait for the upcoming Olympic in Japan lol.

Soo many great promotion they can do too.

Slam Dunk for Basketball
Haikyuu for Volleyball
Tsubasa, Giant Killing for Football
Prince of Tennis for Tennis
Hajime no Ippo, Ashita no Joe for Boxing
Diamond no Ace, Major for Baseball

and all the other big anime franchise. Mario, Pikachu, Hello Kitty, Doraemon, Goku, Hatsune Miku, Chopper, Haro, Rilakuma, etc.

If all the animation and game industry come guns blazing, those visiting is going to lose their shit=wallet lol.
time to start saving money

Nah, one way or another the International Olympic Committee always gets its cut. The know that the Olympics itself is the major brand; everything else is a co-sponsor and has to pay for the privilege of being associated with the games. So there shouldn't be any doubt Nintendo spent a lot of money to make this little marketing exercise possible. My only argument is that such resources would have been better spent elsewhere, in light of Nintendo's diminished global presence this past year.

The gymnastics event is over.

casiopao

"Mario & Pacman ft Doraemon at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games" for Nintendo NX

No Sonic allowed.^_^

On the other hand, Nintendo is going to had so much fun lol with that franchise.

If, Ninty and Sega can make ensure all the other popular IP holder to loan their IP for the game, i can see the game going absolutely big lol.

Imagine a game where Mario, Sonic, Pacman, Hello Kitty, Doraemon, Pikachu, Goku, Jibanyan, Agumon, Miku, Cloud, Ryu, Megaman, Haro, Idolmasters, Macross Delta characters and many other moar would be playable in one game.......... It is going to be crazyyyyyy.^_^

time to start saving money

Of course. U would not want to miss that Lucina Olympic Fencing merchandise right?^_^

Kintor

Banned
So you're telling me that a goddamn Children's Hospital had to pay the IOC extortionate amounts of money to get an extract read from a 1911 public domain novel whose copyright was given to them in the author's will?
Peter Pan isn't public domain, that hospital received the copyright to Peter Pan in 1929. Not that it has ever stopped Disney from skirting around the copyright laws and never paying Great Ormond Street Hospital a cent, but I digress...

The point is that as a state run hospital Great Ormond Street would have been part of the British Governments financial contribution to the International Olympic Committee. Conversely, Nintendo as a private corporation would still need to pay its own way into the closing ceremony. Nintendo is a business and so is the International Olympic Committee, marketing costs money and Mario's appearance in Rio is no exception.

Top Bottom