• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario shows up at Rio 2016 Closing Ceremony

ranmafan

The songs was AMAZING, it remembers me Cowboy Bebop a lot. It's Yoko Kanno's?

Shiina Ringo did the music for the show. She is so awesome. Japanese tv just did a report on the making of the presentation and had an interview with her about her role on the ceremony.

Just watched this on TV. At the end of Tokyo's performance, they played the Mario tune that plays when you jump on top of the flag pole with fireworks going off. The whole thing was amazing.

rhandino

Banned
Can't wait for the upcoming Olympic in Japan lol.

Soo many great promotion they can do too.

Slam Dunk for Basketball
Haikyuu for Volleyball
Tsubasa, Giant Killing for Football
Prince of Tennis for Tennis
Hajime no Ippo, Ashita no Joe for Boxing
Diamond no Ace, Major for Baseball

and all the other big anime franchise. Mario, Pikachu, Hello Kitty, Doraemon, Goku, Hatsune Miku, Chopper, Haro, Rilakuma, etc.

If all the animation and game industry come guns blazing, those visiting is going to lose their shit=wallet lol.
Cannot wait for the Compile Heart JRPG in which the Olympic Sports are going to be transformed into fanservice moe blobs that need to unite and set apart their differences to save OlympicLand from the evils of greedy corporations.

Exciting times =3

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
... Can't we all just be grateful VIDEO GAMES are getting this sort of attention on a world stage? Mario/Nintendo are video game ambassadors; this is *huge* for everyone.

But you don't understand...Nintendo isn't doing well financially and they haven't shown us the NX and they won't give us a proper Metroid game and they don't deserve to participate in the videogame industry.

casiopao

Free! for swimming.

If they want to appeal to the male crowd, Frogman is ready to launch lol.^_^

Cannot wait for the Compile Heart JRPG in which the Olympic Sports are going to be transformed into fanservice moe blobs that need to unite and set apart their differences to save OlympicLand from the evils of greedy corporations.

Exciting times =3

Now, this will probably pull me back to Compile Heart game after being burned out by 3 Neptunia game lol.^_^

sajfhksjdfh

JAPAN IS A MESS I LOVE THEM :lol

Nintendo better get their name out there, damn. Pikachu should be in the video too.

If they put Pikachu, all the crowd will try to attack the pipe thinking that they will get new Pokemon from Poke Go lol.^_^

Now, Capcom better put Fellyn everywhere there. I can't wait for moar cute merchs.^_^

PviC4Z9.gif

Oh... I get it... it was a thing they did with the thing...

platina

And you think a major presence during the closing ceremony of the GODDAMN OLYMPICS isn't gonna help with that!?

Not really, more like hey look it's m- look at the pretty fireworks and samba dancers! It was so brief lol.

That's nice and all, but...

Where's my Akira reference?

If I don't hear at least one "TETSUOOOO" in the next promo video, I'm boycotting them.

Also, which anime series are getting the prime slot at the 2020 opening ceremony? Kill La Kill? Idolmaster? Monster Musume?

Nintendo's section of Universal Studios Tokyo is supposed to open by then, right?

Yep, Nintendo's section is proposed to be opened in 2020. Universal Studio is in Osaka, but people can still travel there easily from Tokyo. I am feeling that it is a grand plan set by Nintendo.

casiopao

That's nice and all, but...

Where's my Akira reference?

If I don't hear at least one "TETSUOOOO" in the next promo video, I'm boycotting them.

Also, which anime series are getting the prime slot at the 2020 opening ceremony? Kill La Kill? Idolmaster? Monster Musume?

Aikatsu.^_^ jkjk

Macross Delta is going to be the true answer.^_^

Aizo

Banned
Mario is actually Abe. Are there any other heroes whose secret identities are villains? Kind of a clever twist on the idea.

Regardless of the ins and outs of getting this deal done, the idea that hypothetical money used for getting Mario a big role in the Olympic closing ceremony would have been better used by putting together a better showcase for Paper Mario or TMS at E3 is legitimately hilarious.

Subaru

Shiina Ringo did the music for the show. She is so awesome. Japanese tv just did a report on the making of the presentation and had an interview with her about her role on the ceremony.

Wow, I know her but I didn't know that she was so recognized! It was really awesome <3

SalvaPot

Regardless of the ins and outs of getting this deal done, the idea that hypothetical money used for getting Mario a big role in the Olympic closing ceremony would have been better used by putting together a better showcase for Paper Mario or TMS at E3 is legitimately hilarious.

MtZ9N.gif

casiopao

nnnnoooooooo

think so yeah. that place will be definitely get overcrowded.. and usj is at osaka btw

Yesssss.^_^

Actually, fencing will be a very crazy place to promote Japanese anime swordman lol.

Guts from Berserk using Dragonslayer to fence?
Fire Emblem characters?
Shining series waifu?
Vagabond?
Himura Kenshin
Hiei from YuYu Hakusho
Hermes from Arslan Senki
Even Link can join the fun lol.^_^

Games won't be exclusive to Tokyo. Maybe Osaka will host some of them.

No shit sherlock.O_O I mean, even WC before, some of the game was done in Osaka right?

Kintor

Banned
A stronger presence at E3 (or at least a dozen Nintendo directs) would do more for Nintendo's global presence then this bizarre stunt at Rio. At least at E3 Nintendo would be assured that gamers and the enthusiast media would be paying attention. While at Rio, it's a mix bag and nobody was watching the closing ceremony anticipating co-branding with Mario. Really, Nintendo at Rio seems like a continuation of their failed 'blue ocean' strategy, trying to chase the casual crowd that made the Wii a success without realising that the industry has moved on.

hirokazu

Well, I guess we know where Nintendo's global marketing budget disappeared to. Can't have been cheap to get Mario in the Rio closing ceremony, or to make Abe sacrifice is dignity like that.

Still, I can't help but think this was money wasted on Nintendo's part. Since Nintendo doesn't have any products to promote at this point. Four years is a long time, should the NX fail there might not even be a Nintendo left to boast by the time of the opening ceremony in Tokyo.
Uh, you think Nintendo paid to have Mario appear in that? More like Mario sacrificed his dignity by turning into Abe.

A stronger presence at E3 (or at least a dozen Nintendo directs) would do more for Nintendo's global presence then this bizarre stunt at Rio. At least at E3 Nintendo would be assured that gamers and the enthusiast media would be paying attention. While at Rio, it's a mix bag and nobody was watching the closing ceremony anticipating co-branding with Mario. Really, Nintendo at Rio seems like a continuation of their failed 'blue ocean' strategy, trying to chase the casual crowd that made the Wii a success without realising that the industry has moved on.

Please sir, can I have some more?

Makonero

Dude, give up. This is bullshit. Reminding a mainstream audience of their flagship character is not a waste of money or time, and it sure as hell hits a lot more eyeballs than E3 ever could.

Apart from anime and videogame presence, I hope Babymetal will perform in the opening ceremony. They are one of the, if not THE, most globally-known Japanese artists, isn't it?

Top Bottom